The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Latest effect from Yervoy Treatments

Forums Ocular Melanoma Community Latest effect from Yervoy Treatments

Participant
      I am about to start with my first treatment of Yervoy ("Ipi")next week at Kimmel Cancer Hospital (Philadelphia) under the guidance of Dr. Sato. I have had one immunoablation (early Sept) to the liver and will have a second one next week as well. Diagnosis is several small lesions (0-5cm) discovered. Last May initial Cancer (Uveal) Melanoma to the eye and had no choice but enucleation – and chromosomal/genetic tests suggested high % of metastization.

I am about to start with my first treatment of Yervoy ("Ipi")next week at Kimmel Cancer Hospital (Philadelphia) under the guidance of Dr. Sato. I have had one immunoablation (early Sept) to the liver and will have a second one next week as well. Diagnosis is several small lesions (0-5cm) discovered. Last May initial Cancer (Uveal) Melanoma to the eye and had no choice but enucleation – and chromosomal/genetic tests suggested high % of metastization. So, it's been caught relatively early with constant MRI's, bloodwork and other tests. So – just wanted to know other people are reacting to the Yervoy tratments,, any commonalities. As you all can see, by viewing the yervoy website is nothing short of a death sentence… Thank You! Tom 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        edamaser
        Participant

Tom,

What is "immunoablation?"

Thanks,

Esther

edamaser
          Participant

Tom,

Thanks,

Esther

ThatHomeschoolDad
              Participant

I think that's "Imunoembolization,"  the roto-router approach we both had at Jefferson.

— The Other Tom

ThatHomeschoolDad
                Participant

I think that's "Imunoembolization,"  the roto-router approach we both had at Jefferson.

— The Other Tom

ThatHomeschoolDad
                  Participant

— The Other Tom

edamaser
                  Participant

Tom,

Thanks,

Esther

tommonoli
                    Participant

Hi Tom, glad you are being very aggressive with treatment, but I saw that you had enucleation with the primary  tumor 2-4 cm, is this correct? If correct, why not radiation? Hope your ipi treatment goes well, take care.

tommonoli
                        Participant

Sorry Tom, 2-4 mm.

margaretrogers57
                          Participant

My husband had yervoy @ 10 mg. and tolerated it well.  It kept things stable for about 3 months, but had progression @ 6 months.  Margaret  PS  Don't believe all the side effects.  His were just fatique and a rash.

margaretrogers57
                            Participant

My husband had yervoy @ 10 mg. and tolerated it well.  It kept things stable for about 3 months, but had progression @ 6 months.  Margaret  PS  Don't believe all the side effects.  His were just fatique and a rash.

margaretrogers57
                              Participant

tommonoli
                                Participant

Sorry Tom, 2-4 mm.

tommonoli
                                  Participant

Sorry Tom, 2-4 mm.

tommonoli
                                  Participant

Hi Tom, glad you are being very aggressive with treatment, but I saw that you had enucleation with the primary  tumor 2-4 cm, is this correct? If correct, why not radiation? Hope your ipi treatment goes well, take care.

tommonoli
                                    Participant

cgranger
                                      Participant

Tom, I had my first ipi on Nov. 27, along with an immuno-embolization.  I'm happy to say i have had no side effects – just a little tired, but no rash, no digestive issues, no eye blurring.  In a couple of weeks I go for #2 on each – I know how to start the new year!   Good luck to you.  Not a great response rate overall, but I figure it's worth a shot.   Carol

ThatHomeschoolDad
                                          Participant

I've virtually no side effects after Ipi number 2.  I think I used Immodium a whopping two times, and I had one bout of fatigue, but that's it.  I sure hope this stuff is working in there. Infusion number three is Christmas Eve day — oh, joy.  At least we can pick up some authentic Philly pretzels each trip.  Ya just can't get them around here.

–Tom P.

cgranger
                                            Participant

The past couple of days I've caught myself frequently scratching various places.  So I look at that as a good sign – maybe it's the ipi-itch, and an indication that I'm having some response.

My infusion#2 is New Years Eve Day.

Hope you've discovered the Reading Terminal Market – great place to graze, take in the sights and smells, buy candied ginger, listen to piano music.   We got a good priceline deal at Loew's – be sure to check out the elaborate Charles Dickens animated figures on display at Macy's (the old historical Wannamaker dept store on Market near city hall).

ThatHomeschoolDad
                                              Participant

I, too have experienced very minor itching, but it's so damn inconsistent that I'm not fully convinced it's from Ipi.   I keep waiting for some sign that things are percolating in there.  Maybe cyberknife will goose my system into overdrive.  Just had Ipi #3 xmas eve day and I found a read line on my non-IV arm.  I was so stoked!  Look!  A rash!  One application of cortizone cream and the sucker disapeared.  Jeez.  The big Yervoy packet from Sato makes it sound like you're about to get liquid doom pumped into you.  So far it has all been quite anti-climactic.

Haven't been to Reading Terminal since college days.  My wife grew up in Philly.  I do make it a point to pick up pretzels wach trip.  They just can't make those the right way north of about central NJ.  Ditto for cheesesteaks. 

–Tom P.

ThatHomeschoolDad
                                                Participant

I, too have experienced very minor itching, but it's so damn inconsistent that I'm not fully convinced it's from Ipi.   I keep waiting for some sign that things are percolating in there.  Maybe cyberknife will goose my system into overdrive.  Just had Ipi #3 xmas eve day and I found a read line on my non-IV arm.  I was so stoked!  Look!  A rash!  One application of cortizone cream and the sucker disapeared.  Jeez.  The big Yervoy packet from Sato makes it sound like you're about to get liquid doom pumped into you.  So far it has all been quite anti-climactic.

Haven't been to Reading Terminal since college days.  My wife grew up in Philly.  I do make it a point to pick up pretzels wach trip.  They just can't make those the right way north of about central NJ.  Ditto for cheesesteaks. 

–Tom P.

LuckyMan51
                                                  Participant
                                                    Tom, I had similar mild itching during Yervoy treatment but not much else. Also had cyber knife radiation on small brain met between 2nd-3rd infusion. So far so good with clear/NED scans at 3 and 6 month intervals. Am also hoping the abscopal effect kicked in during treatment. It’s strange but I am getting itchier now than during the actual yervoy infusions. Hopeful.. Good luck and wishes for a healthy and happy 2013.
                                                    ThatHomeschoolDad
                                                    Participant

YOU'RE NED?   Aw man…. I thought I was gonna be the one they write the next NEJM article about!  Fame is so fleeting…  Anyway, congratulations!

–Tom P.

ThatHomeschoolDad
                                                      Participant

YOU'RE NED?   Aw man…. I thought I was gonna be the one they write the next NEJM article about!  Fame is so fleeting…  Anyway, congratulations!

–Tom P.

ThatHomeschoolDad
                                                        Participant

–Tom P.

LuckyMan51
                                                          Participant
                                                            Tom, I had similar mild itching during Yervoy treatment but not much else. Also had cyber knife radiation on small brain met between 2nd-3rd infusion. So far so good with clear/NED scans at 3 and 6 month intervals. Am also hoping the abscopal effect kicked in during treatment. It’s strange but I am getting itchier now than during the actual yervoy infusions. Hopeful.. Good luck and wishes for a healthy and happy 2013.
                                                            LuckyMan51
                                                            Participant
                                                              LuckyMan51
                                                              Participant
                                                                LuckyMan51
                                                                Participant
                                                                  LuckyMan51
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    ThatHomeschoolDad
                                                                    Participant

–Tom P.

cgranger
                                                                      Participant

The past couple of days I've caught myself frequently scratching various places.  So I look at that as a good sign – maybe it's the ipi-itch, and an indication that I'm having some response.

Hope you've discovered the Reading Terminal Market – great place to graze, take in the sights and smells, buy candied ginger, listen to piano music.   We got a good priceline deal at Loew's – be sure to check out the elaborate Charles Dickens animated figures on display at Macy's (the old historical Wannamaker dept store on Market near city hall).

cgranger
                                                                        Participant

ThatHomeschoolDad
                                                                          Participant

I've virtually no side effects after Ipi number 2.  I think I used Immodium a whopping two times, and I had one bout of fatigue, but that's it.  I sure hope this stuff is working in there. Infusion number three is Christmas Eve day — oh, joy.  At least we can pick up some authentic Philly pretzels each trip.  Ya just can't get them around here.

–Tom P.

ThatHomeschoolDad
                                                                            Participant

–Tom P.

cgranger
                                                                            Participant

Tom, I had my first ipi on Nov. 27, along with an immuno-embolization.  I'm happy to say i have had no side effects – just a little tired, but no rash, no digestive issues, no eye blurring.  In a couple of weeks I go for #2 on each – I know how to start the new year!   Good luck to you.  Not a great response rate overall, but I figure it's worth a shot.   Carol

cgranger
                                                                              Participant

chrisannca
                                                                                Participant

Hi Tom:  Diagnois – 53 yr. female. Stage 4 metastatic melanoma. Right arm lymph nodes (contained to the nodes).

Yervoy Treatment: May – July 2012.  My Yervoy side effects were: extreme fatigue (slept 12 hours a day); constant headaches; easy brusing (watch out for open drawers and the corner of the bed); and diarrehea.

I had to stop at 3 treatments due to the on-set of a  massive headache. The Brain MRI showed a swollen pitutary gland (endocirnopathy).  Prescribed 40 mg of Prednisone and 75 Levothroxine.  I am down to 2.5 mg of prednisone and will be on both of these drungs for the rest of my life.

Ended last treatment in early July 2012. August 5th Brain MRI still showed swollen pituritary.  Diagnosis: panhypopituitarism.

November 5th Brain MRI – 2 new lesions; PET/CT – 2 new nodles in left side. Now on Zelboraf – the side effects are worse thatn IPI, but the effectiveness may be better.  Had the brain metastases removed by Gamma Knife!

Keep going! ChrisAnn

Annemarie
                                                                                    Participant

My husband started yervoy about 2 weeks ago. As Yervoy has not been approved in South Africa yet, he is on a clinical trial. With the chemo he was very tired but after a week or so the energy levels pick up. With yervoy he is not so tired, but I don't see the energy levels picking up. Can anyone advise whether the fatigue get worse further down the treatment line.

Then he complain a lot about needles and pins in his feet and legs. Apparantly it is something to do with the nervous system. Any advise to improve this side effect.

Just to update, my husband had a melonoma removed behing his right ear about 14 years ago and was diagnosed end of July last year with a huge tumor (10cm x 6 cm) in his left lung. He had 4 cycles of CVD -chemo. The tumor had shrunk with about 25% but our oncologist inform us that we will not win the battle with the chemo and now we started the Yervoy.

Annemarie
                                                                                      Participant

My husband started yervoy about 2 weeks ago. As Yervoy has not been approved in South Africa yet, he is on a clinical trial. With the chemo he was very tired but after a week or so the energy levels pick up. With yervoy he is not so tired, but I don't see the energy levels picking up. Can anyone advise whether the fatigue get worse further down the treatment line.

Then he complain a lot about needles and pins in his feet and legs. Apparantly it is something to do with the nervous system. Any advise to improve this side effect.

Just to update, my husband had a melonoma removed behing his right ear about 14 years ago and was diagnosed end of July last year with a huge tumor (10cm x 6 cm) in his left lung. He had 4 cycles of CVD -chemo. The tumor had shrunk with about 25% but our oncologist inform us that we will not win the battle with the chemo and now we started the Yervoy.

Annemarie
                                                                                        Participant

chrisannca
                                                                                        Participant

Hi Tom:  Diagnois – 53 yr. female. Stage 4 metastatic melanoma. Right arm lymph nodes (contained to the nodes).

Yervoy Treatment: May – July 2012.  My Yervoy side effects were: extreme fatigue (slept 12 hours a day); constant headaches; easy brusing (watch out for open drawers and the corner of the bed); and diarrehea.

I had to stop at 3 treatments due to the on-set of a  massive headache. The Brain MRI showed a swollen pitutary gland (endocirnopathy).  Prescribed 40 mg of Prednisone and 75 Levothroxine.  I am down to 2.5 mg of prednisone and will be on both of these drungs for the rest of my life.

Ended last treatment in early July 2012. August 5th Brain MRI still showed swollen pituritary.  Diagnosis: panhypopituitarism.

November 5th Brain MRI – 2 new lesions; PET/CT – 2 new nodles in left side. Now on Zelboraf – the side effects are worse thatn IPI, but the effectiveness may be better.  Had the brain metastases removed by Gamma Knife!

Keep going! ChrisAnn

chrisannca
                                                                                          Participant

Keep going! ChrisAnn

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics