The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lab mistake on yearly liver tests? Does this happen?

Forums General Melanoma Community Lab mistake on yearly liver tests? Does this happen?

Participant

My husband is Stage IV, NED 6+ years now.  Only follow-up treatment he has these days are yearly liver panels and a chest x-ray.  Oncologist called last week that his liver panel came back abnormal – they are going to retest and said not to worry because they think it's probably a lab error.  Hmmm.  As a stage IV cancer patient we are used to some bumps in the road that turn out to be nothing, but have never had a lab error anywhere else – does this really happen?  Has this happened to anyone else?  Trying not to worry, but obviously a little concerned

My husband is Stage IV, NED 6+ years now.  Only follow-up treatment he has these days are yearly liver panels and a chest x-ray.  Oncologist called last week that his liver panel came back abnormal – they are going to retest and said not to worry because they think it's probably a lab error.  Hmmm.  As a stage IV cancer patient we are used to some bumps in the road that turn out to be nothing, but have never had a lab error anywhere else – does this really happen?  Has this happened to anyone else?  Trying not to worry, but obviously a little concerned.  Thanks – Erica

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        MariaH
        Participant

Hi Erica.  Rest easy, this just happened to Dave on Wednesday.  A PET 2 weeks ago showed no mel in the liver.  Bloodwork on Wednesday showed abnormal liver panel, but when redone on Thursday it was normal.   I don't know how it happens, but it does.

Congrats on the 6+ years NED – I hope you both get many more!

Maria

MariaH
          Participant

Hi Erica.  Rest easy, this just happened to Dave on Wednesday.  A PET 2 weeks ago showed no mel in the liver.  Bloodwork on Wednesday showed abnormal liver panel, but when redone on Thursday it was normal.   I don't know how it happens, but it does.

Congrats on the 6+ years NED – I hope you both get many more!

Maria

lhaley
            Participant

Mine were way off a few months ago. Ended up being a drug interaction between my cholesteral meds and an antibiotic.  They told me to get off of the cholesteral meds and no tylenol till I was retested a week later (by that time the antibiotic was out of my system). Numbers came down. Took another time to get back to normal.  I've since talked to others that it's taken them several months to get to normal.

I hope it's either an error or something like mine.

When this scare is over you need to post your husbands status to give positive thoughts to others.

Linda

Stage IV since 06, NED 10 weeks

lhaley
              Participant

Mine were way off a few months ago. Ended up being a drug interaction between my cholesteral meds and an antibiotic.  They told me to get off of the cholesteral meds and no tylenol till I was retested a week later (by that time the antibiotic was out of my system). Numbers came down. Took another time to get back to normal.  I've since talked to others that it's taken them several months to get to normal.

I hope it's either an error or something like mine.

When this scare is over you need to post your husbands status to give positive thoughts to others.

Linda

Stage IV since 06, NED 10 weeks

Janner
                Participant

As Linda said, it could easily be an interaction with food or drugs.  Tylenol or something simple can cause the numbers to change.  So it may be a simple interaction and not even a lab error.  In any case, a retest is the way to go.

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                  Participant

As Linda said, it could easily be an interaction with food or drugs.  Tylenol or something simple can cause the numbers to change.  So it may be a simple interaction and not even a lab error.  In any case, a retest is the way to go.

Best wishes,

Janner

MichaelFL
                    Participant

Yep. That makes it four for four on the retest.

Is it a lab error, or are one of the test numbers high? I would guess "abnormal" means one of the numbers are high.

There are many liver tests. Was it a standard liver panel? If so, which one(s) are high? And how high are the numbers?

Yes, I would first repeat the tests.

As already stated, there are many reasons that can cause elevated liver enzymes.

Most medications can cause an elevation of liver enzymes. Common ones include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antibiotics, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, antiepileptic drugs, and antituberculous drugs.

Alcohol can transiently elevate liver enzymes as well.

Since medications and alcohol can elevate liver enzymes – make sure that any medications he is taking are not the culprit. If he drinks alcohol,  he should abstain and then repeat the test.

I also see from your profile that your husband is NED due to Bio-chemo which consisted of Dacarbazine, Vinblastine, Cisplatin, IL-2, Interferon, and GM-CSF.

Perhaps you can offer some up some encouragement and on this board since there are several newbies that have shown up in the last month or so.

Michael

MichaelFL
                      Participant

Yep. That makes it four for four on the retest.

Is it a lab error, or are one of the test numbers high? I would guess "abnormal" means one of the numbers are high.

There are many liver tests. Was it a standard liver panel? If so, which one(s) are high? And how high are the numbers?

Yes, I would first repeat the tests.

As already stated, there are many reasons that can cause elevated liver enzymes.

Most medications can cause an elevation of liver enzymes. Common ones include nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antibiotics, HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors, antiepileptic drugs, and antituberculous drugs.

Alcohol can transiently elevate liver enzymes as well.

Since medications and alcohol can elevate liver enzymes – make sure that any medications he is taking are not the culprit. If he drinks alcohol,  he should abstain and then repeat the test.

I also see from your profile that your husband is NED due to Bio-chemo which consisted of Dacarbazine, Vinblastine, Cisplatin, IL-2, Interferon, and GM-CSF.

Perhaps you can offer some up some encouragement and on this board since there are several newbies that have shown up in the last month or so.

Michael

Erica A
                        Participant

He isn't having any symptoms so now that I have heard that this isn't so odd – I feel a lot better.  Doctor called to report results and ordered the retest all in one day (friday) and put a rush on the bloodwork, so we should know tomorrow or Tuesday…. I was just getting nervous.  We didn't ask which test is was since we tend to research it and worry more, after years and years of this we have just decided to wait it out without the extra internet time (except for me on this board I guess!)

I do try to post his NED anniversaries since I am all too aware of how desperate you can be as a stage IV for people who have a durable remission.  But I did miss posting this year and will per suggestion.  Thanks all who answered. Erica

Erica A
                          Participant

He isn't having any symptoms so now that I have heard that this isn't so odd – I feel a lot better.  Doctor called to report results and ordered the retest all in one day (friday) and put a rush on the bloodwork, so we should know tomorrow or Tuesday…. I was just getting nervous.  We didn't ask which test is was since we tend to research it and worry more, after years and years of this we have just decided to wait it out without the extra internet time (except for me on this board I guess!)

I do try to post his NED anniversaries since I am all too aware of how desperate you can be as a stage IV for people who have a durable remission.  But I did miss posting this year and will per suggestion.  Thanks all who answered. Erica

Erica A
                            Participant

Happy to report that we FINALLY know that the bloodwork came back normal this time.  All is well until next year's appointment.  Thank-you for feedback and support. Erica & Ken

Erica A
                              Participant

Happy to report that we FINALLY know that the bloodwork came back normal this time.  All is well until next year's appointment.  Thank-you for feedback and support. Erica & Ken

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics