The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Just Need to Feel Heard…

Forums General Melanoma Community Just Need to Feel Heard…

Participant

I finished my 3rd dose of the ipi/nivo combo 2-1/2 weeks ago and for the first week there was no change in my side effects. Then, a week in, I was clobbered – really severe nausea, loss of apetite to the point I can barely eat (I've lost 6 pounds in the last 2 weeks without trying), nearly continual stomach cramps in the diaphragm area, increased fatigue, and increased heartburn. The past couple of days I have noticed that I have been sneezing a lot and have a lot of mucus in my throat (a cold, perhaps?). 

I know that I need to eat and I sometimes feel hungry – until I acutally try to put food in my mouth. Most times I have to choke food down and can only manage about 5-6 bites at a time. I try to stay hydrated, but all beverages (water, juice, vitamin water, ginger ale, etc.) also make me feel like gagging. 

I emailed my doctor the full description so I wouldn't forget anyting or get distracted by quesitons or comments and they called and told me to come in that day (last Monday). So I did. I met with my nurse pracitioner who did not listen to anything I said and offered platitudes like, "Yep. This is what it's like!" and "These don't mean your cancer has spread." Um. Yes, I know that. I am not an idiot. When I told her that I had to choke food down, she told me what to do if I start choking! 

Needless to say, the whole visit was not just a waste of my time and completely disheartening, but I got no help. My 4th dose of the combo is this coming Wednesday and I am terriified of what might happen next. I know lots of other people have way worse sitiuations than I do, but I am mainly fighting this alone. I live in Rhode Island and my family is in Iowa. I have a couple of friends who help when I need them, but for the most part, I am alone. And this is just a lot to deal with alone. 

I guess I don't even now why I posted this. I just didn't want to feel alone, I guess. I know all the advice – chin up! keep fighting! etc., but sometimes an understanding ear is all I really need. So, thanks for listening. And if anyone has any advice for any of these symptoms, I would welcome any and all ideas. I just can't imagine feeling this crappy for multiple months without some kind of help. 

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Christine.P
        Participant

I should mention that I do take Zofran for the nausea and it used to help but now has very little effect. 

Christine.P
          Participant

I should mention that I do take Zofran for the nausea and it used to help but now has very little effect. 

Christine.P
            Participant

Patina
              Participant
                Hi Christine,

Sounds like you’ve had it rough this week. It happens, but I wish it didn’t. It will get better.

From some of the things you said I wonder if you have thrush. My Mom had it and she says that was what was going to kill her, not the cancer 🙂

Thrush can make things taste strange or your tongue might burn. A sign of it is a white coating in your mouth.

Your doctor can write a Rx for a mouthwash, but adding probiotic yogurts and taking sugar and carbs out of your diet help.- Use hydrogen peroxide on your toothbrush too.

Good Luck!

Christine.P
                  Participant

Thanks, Patina. I don't have any white coating but will definitely keep an eye out for that. I appreciate your reply. 

Christine

Christine.P
                    Participant

Thanks, Patina. I don't have any white coating but will definitely keep an eye out for that. I appreciate your reply. 

Christine

Christine.P
                      Participant

Christine

Patina
                      Participant
                        Hi Christine,

Sounds like you’ve had it rough this week. It happens, but I wish it didn’t. It will get better.

From some of the things you said I wonder if you have thrush. My Mom had it and she says that was what was going to kill her, not the cancer 🙂

Thrush can make things taste strange or your tongue might burn. A sign of it is a white coating in your mouth.

Your doctor can write a Rx for a mouthwash, but adding probiotic yogurts and taking sugar and carbs out of your diet help.- Use hydrogen peroxide on your toothbrush too.

Good Luck!

Patina
                        Participant
                          Hi Christine,

Good Luck!

jennunicorn
                          Participant

I developed really bad GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) which made it hard to eat, felt like vomiting all the time, bad heart burn. My onc prescribed Pantoprazole and since I started taking that all of those symptoms are gone. I did test when I ran low on pills whether I still needed them or not so I stopped taking them and within a few days all the symptoms were back, so I might need to take this pill for a long time, maybe forever, but it's definitely worth it. My boyfriend is also on a medication for GERD, he's had it a long time, and he takes Omeprazole (Prilosec) and that helps him as well. Just something you might want to run by your doc and see if they think it could be something like that. There is over the counter Prilosec, could always test it out yourself to see if it helps at all.

So sorry you had such a crap experience with the nurse, I would be just as frusterated and disheartened. 

Hope you start feeling better soon.

jennunicorn
                            Participant

I developed really bad GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) which made it hard to eat, felt like vomiting all the time, bad heart burn. My onc prescribed Pantoprazole and since I started taking that all of those symptoms are gone. I did test when I ran low on pills whether I still needed them or not so I stopped taking them and within a few days all the symptoms were back, so I might need to take this pill for a long time, maybe forever, but it's definitely worth it. My boyfriend is also on a medication for GERD, he's had it a long time, and he takes Omeprazole (Prilosec) and that helps him as well. Just something you might want to run by your doc and see if they think it could be something like that. There is over the counter Prilosec, could always test it out yourself to see if it helps at all.

So sorry you had such a crap experience with the nurse, I would be just as frusterated and disheartened. 

jennunicorn
                              Participant

Christine.P
                                  Participant

Thank you, Jenn. Your empathy and advice help a lot. I already take Nexium (for pre-existing reflux) but will ask my doctor about the Pantropazole or something stronger than OTC to see if that helps. 

Christine.P
                                    Participant

Thank you, Jenn. Your empathy and advice help a lot. I already take Nexium (for pre-existing reflux) but will ask my doctor about the Pantropazole or something stronger than OTC to see if that helps. 

Christine.P
                                      Participant

ed williams
                                      Participant

Hi Christine, Omeprazole can really help if you are getting acid reflux type symptoms. There is another drug that I uses for some time and then stopped is Domperidone 10mg, which helps relax the Esophagus to help with movement of food. I am sorry that the nurse was not helpfull, I usally hold my discussion of symptoms for my Oncologist since they specialize in what I am dealing with. Some times the nurse that you will see might also work for several different oncologists that deal with many different types of treatments and side effects. Best Wishes!!!!Ed

ed williams
                                        Participant

Hi Christine, Omeprazole can really help if you are getting acid reflux type symptoms. There is another drug that I uses for some time and then stopped is Domperidone 10mg, which helps relax the Esophagus to help with movement of food. I am sorry that the nurse was not helpfull, I usally hold my discussion of symptoms for my Oncologist since they specialize in what I am dealing with. Some times the nurse that you will see might also work for several different oncologists that deal with many different types of treatments and side effects. Best Wishes!!!!Ed

Christine.P
                                            Participant

Thank you, Ed. I would have preferred to meet with my doctor, but was really hoping to get some help ASAP and she was out of the office for the last part of last week. I will definitely bring these all up again with her in my appt on Wednesday. I'll definitely keep this experience in mind next time. 

Christine.P
                                              Participant

Thank you, Ed. I would have preferred to meet with my doctor, but was really hoping to get some help ASAP and she was out of the office for the last part of last week. I will definitely bring these all up again with her in my appt on Wednesday. I'll definitely keep this experience in mind next time. 

Christine.P
                                                Participant

ed williams
                                                Participant

Scottw
                                                  Participant

Hi Christine,

Your hanging in there pretty good side effects aside. I made it through all 4 ipi/nivo infusions but not at all pretty. Not to alarm you but after the 4th, (tough decision to do it but I did) is when it got the hardest for me. You will make it, just may have to put up a fight or maybe not!!! Everyone is different how they react. Sounds like its coming up soon. Best of luck Wednesday.

Scottw
                                                    Participant

Hi Christine,

Your hanging in there pretty good side effects aside. I made it through all 4 ipi/nivo infusions but not at all pretty. Not to alarm you but after the 4th, (tough decision to do it but I did) is when it got the hardest for me. You will make it, just may have to put up a fight or maybe not!!! Everyone is different how they react. Sounds like its coming up soon. Best of luck Wednesday.

Christine.P
                                                        Participant

Thank you, Scott. I am actually really dreading this last dose but am hoping to have some better support and medicine in place to make things more bearable that these two weeks have been. I had read and expected more side effects starting with the 3rd dose – but was hoping my team would be more proactive in helping me deal with them. 

Christine.P
                                                          Participant

Thank you, Scott. I am actually really dreading this last dose but am hoping to have some better support and medicine in place to make things more bearable that these two weeks have been. I had read and expected more side effects starting with the 3rd dose – but was hoping my team would be more proactive in helping me deal with them. 

Christine.P
                                                            Participant

Scottw
                                                            Participant

Hi Christine,

btcedarr
                                                              Participant

Christine, I am also in RI. Would you mind sharing who your team is?

btcedarr
                                                                Participant

btcedarr
                                                                  Participant

Christine.P
                                                                      Participant

My oncologist is Maria Constatinou and her NP is Liz Lambert. They are at Rhode Island Hospital. The irony is I switched to them after having my initial surgeries and first 3 treatments at Roger Williams because they were so bad at responding to my concerns and side effects, etc. at RW. 

What team do you have? Where in RI do you live, if you don't mind sharing? I'm in Cranston.

Christine.P
                                                                        Participant

My oncologist is Maria Constatinou and her NP is Liz Lambert. They are at Rhode Island Hospital. The irony is I switched to them after having my initial surgeries and first 3 treatments at Roger Williams because they were so bad at responding to my concerns and side effects, etc. at RW. 

What team do you have? Where in RI do you live, if you don't mind sharing? I'm in Cranston.

Christine.P
                                                                          Participant

btcedarr
                                                                            Participant

I am in Warwick. I was stage 1b, so I only saw the Ocology Surgeon at RIH. Dr. Vezerides. Love him! I do work in Pediatrics at Hasbro, so all my docs tend to be there. 

btcedarr
                                                                              Participant

I am in Warwick. I was stage 1b, so I only saw the Ocology Surgeon at RIH. Dr. Vezerides. Love him! I do work in Pediatrics at Hasbro, so all my docs tend to be there. 

btcedarr
                                                                                Participant

RaquelP
                                                                                Participant

Just curious if you were taking a stool softner with the zofran. Zofran can cause constipation which can also cause stomach cramping.

Christine.P
                                                                                    Participant

No, I haven't been, but I havent had any trouble with that so far. I'll keep this in mind though. Thank you! 

Christine.P
                                                                                      Participant

No, I haven't been, but I havent had any trouble with that so far. I'll keep this in mind though. Thank you! 

Christine.P
                                                                                        Participant

RaquelP
                                                                                        Participant

Just curious if you were taking a stool softner with the zofran. Zofran can cause constipation which can also cause stomach cramping.

RaquelP
                                                                                          Participant

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics