The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi/Nivo and steroids????

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi/Nivo and steroids????

Participant

Hi all,

I have been on steroids for back pain for the past week and a half and my next infusion #2 next week. I meet with Dr. this Wed to discuss pain and plan.  Hope they can still give me Ipi/Nivo #2, I really need to keep going with this. Starting acupuncture tomorrow to try to releave back pain, and palative care appt after Christmas.  Anyone been on Ipi/ Nivo and steroids at the same time?  I am worried that I won't be able to continue.

Thanks, as always!

Vince

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Edwin
        Participant

I took the steroid Prednisone to control my side effects while receiving ipi+nivo immunotherapy.  I also took Tylenol or Oxycodone for pain due to melanoma in my bones.

VinceMart
            Participant

Thanks Edwin, that is e encouraging.  Best wishes

cjm22
            Participant

Hey Vince, sorry to hear about your pain. I think I tried replying to one of your comments a while ago on someone else's post but I'll say it again here just in case you didn't notice it at the time. My husband is also experiencing a lot of back pain from spine metastases but he's been able to get it under control with two things. Maybe you can bring up these options with your doctors if they haven't thought of it yet (it took our docs a few months to land on these ideas).

1) Local steroid injection/epidural. They did an MRI of my husband's spine and were able to inject him locally with steroids. The oncologists believe that, since this is just local administration of steroids, it shouldn't really interfere with my husband's immunotherapy treatments (as opposed to taking dexamethasone, for example, which is a systemic steroid).

2) Methadone tablets for daily pain control. My husband takes 32mg of methadone every 8 hours. This has worked MUCH better than fentanyl patches, hydromorphone, naproxen, etc. It took several months to get him up to the amount of methadone he needed for pain relief, since it's easy to overdose on methadone if you increase the dosage too fast. So it took a while before it started working (when they finally got the dosage as high as it needed to be).

With the two above strategies, my husband has almost NO pain all day. He still can't walk due to nerve damage, but his pain is SIGNIFICANTLY improved. He was at an 8 or 9 out of 10 on the pain scale and had to be admitted to hospital due to his acute pain. That's when they were able to increase the methadone a little more rapidly and also they decided to try the steroid injection.

Your situation might be different so maybe there are reasons your doctors can't use those strategies. But just in case those ideas haven't come up yet, maybe you can suggest them. I thought it was especially great news that the oncologists here at least don't think the local steroid injection will interfere with the immunotherapy's efficacy. (In our case we still don't know if it's working yet, though.)

Good luck!!!

VinceMart
                Participant

Thanks, I will definitely ask my Dr about this on Wed, I appreciate your help! 

cjm22
                  Participant

Hopefully you'll find something that works!! My husband's being treated in Vancouver, BC at the major provincial cancer research center so I think our docs are pretty good here.

GeoTony
                  Participant

Hi Vince, they had me on 75mg Prednisone daily after the second Ipi/Nivo dose due to side effects, as a result I missed the third treatment, but over 6 weeks they reduced the Prednisone to 10mg to allow me to receive treatment 4. The 10mg number was part of the trial protocol. That was almost 2 years ago, still stable.

Good luck

VinceMart
                      Participant

Thanks Tony, I am on dexthamethosne, best wishes for continued good health.

Casitas1
                      Participant
                        Hey Vince, I’ve been on Prednisone since 2015. Thru Ipi/Nivo,low dose chemo and Keytruda. Hoping to be NED 2.5 years this Wednesday. I’ve been wondering how Acupuncture can help with joint pain… Keep us posted. Best, Paul
                        sing123
                        Participant

Vince, I have heel pain from the immunotherapy. It used to come and go but it seems to be worsening. Chronic pain is no fun. I have an appointment with my acupuncturist Friday. But I am also taking loads of ibuprofen. Maybe you could try both the steroids and acupuncture? Hope you feel better soon.

mandyjill
                          Participant

Yes, I took prednisone while on ipi/nivo to control the side effects of the drugs.  Helped immensely.  I asked my doctor if the prednisone would offset the good the immunotherapy was doing and he said it wasn't a high enough dose to matter.  I was taking 10 mg. per day.

stevek1959x
                              Participant

I was on 10 mg of prenisone as well for a rash.  This was ordered by my dermatologist.  When my onco found out, he went through the roof as he said the prednisone counters the Nivo and took me off right away – even at this low dose.  My thyroid was also starting to get a little flakey and the prednisone straighten this up as well.  So there seems to be different opinions as to whether Nivo and prenisone play well together.

Mat
                              Participant

Vince, when I was on ipi/nivo for 1.5 years (~20 nivo maintenance infusions)–I was never NOT in prednisone–for the most part ~20mg/day.  That said, steroids gave me little relief for my recent spinal tumor.  Hopefully they did an MRI of your spine and not just a CT to see if surgery or radiation is warranted.  As for me (you asked in a prior post), BRAF-MEK is presently doing its job with some additional work ahead.

sister of patient
                                Participant

Hi Vince – My sister was on steroids (dex) throughout immuno – that was 2 rounds of ipi+nivo and 2 years nivo-only, with WBR in between. Immuno destroyed a huge tumour load for her so, in her case, it's hard to say that steroids hampered anything. They definitely helped immensely with all side effects, including nivo fatigue and all the common arthralgias. Off steroids now, she's been feeling those things big time!! 

Her spinal mets were treated with radiation for pain control – was the first treatment she had at stage 4, though it was fo,r palliative purposes. Her pain was excruciating and she had already been told "get your affairs in order."  And hey – she's **18 months** NED. 

So … maybe you can inquire about radiation ..? And for sure, you can do steroids through immnotherapy and still achieve the best results. Ipi + Nivo combo is a powerful thing!!! – if you need a week or two delay between infusions because you need to  adjust steroids up or down, it's worth it. Hang in there and know that it can do its thing for you!!! 

Keeping you in my thoughts and wishing you the very best!!! 

Barb

VinceMart
                                    Participant

Hi Barb,  thank you for your post.  Just had palliative care appointments yesterday and they changed my meds and added nerve pills.  Then met with radiation oncologist for spinal mets which are now in my entire spine, worsened from 3 weeks ago.  Will do 10 rounds. Had treatment number 2 of ipi nivo this week too.  I'm very worried but your sisters story gives me some hope.  Thank you for sharing.

Best wishes for a healthy 2019 to you and your sister

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics