The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi destroying thyroid

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi destroying thyroid

Participant
      Finished Ipi Dec 3rd, thyroid levels high then closer to normal, bouncing around during and since. Dr says he has seen it before and believes it will eventually settle down to a consistent level – hypothyroid- treated with synthroid. I’m so sleepy during the day, have plenty of energy to do what I want, just sleepy when I sit down for something. No med changes. Nurse offered to run thyroid blood work but I passed since they wont treat it yet anyway, why bother? Anyone had Ipi wear out their thyroid? How long did it take to stabilize?

She really doesn’t think it’s the Zelboraf either though I am suspicious…

Thanks, Amy

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tina D
        Participant

Amy,

As you know, my thyroid issues are actually pituitary issues… but def from the ipi. My Dr did say that many times the endocrine issues are permanent and treated with replacement hormones. I am thinking I'd let them test your levels, though, next time you are there. It would be good to know what the trend is, and how else would they know when it "settles down" to where it will be. Also, if the levels were extremely low, they may reconsider not treating it yet.Do you know if they have tested your TSH, just to be sure it is not pituitary related? It would end up being treated the same, I think, but if it was pituitary related, they would want to check some other levels, too. Just some thoughts….

Really, I guess it is nothing short of amazing that our bodies continue to function so well with all that some of them have been subjected to!! 

Tina

Tina D
          Participant

Amy,

As you know, my thyroid issues are actually pituitary issues… but def from the ipi. My Dr did say that many times the endocrine issues are permanent and treated with replacement hormones. I am thinking I'd let them test your levels, though, next time you are there. It would be good to know what the trend is, and how else would they know when it "settles down" to where it will be. Also, if the levels were extremely low, they may reconsider not treating it yet.Do you know if they have tested your TSH, just to be sure it is not pituitary related? It would end up being treated the same, I think, but if it was pituitary related, they would want to check some other levels, too. Just some thoughts….

Really, I guess it is nothing short of amazing that our bodies continue to function so well with all that some of them have been subjected to!! 

Tina

Tina D
            Participant

Amy,

Tina

Janet Lee
              Participant

I don't know if my experience helps or not, but for what it's worth: my thyroid was pretty much destryed by radiation several years ago (not melanoma), My TSH level was something like 200 (normals range something like 0.5-12.0???). Anyway, that meant that my pituitary gland was over-producing TSH because my thryroid was not doing its job (hypothyroid). I remember being very tired, and  just "not feeling right." The doctor actually was telling me that what I was feeling was "normal" after all I'd been through (chemo and radiation for Hodgkins Lyphoma). He did the TSH test just for the heck of it and was shocked when he got the results. I've been on synthroid ever since with no further problems or issues.

In my  opinion, I'd get the blood tests and keep my eye on those TSH levels.

Good luck,

Janet Lee

Janet Lee
                Participant

I don't know if my experience helps or not, but for what it's worth: my thyroid was pretty much destryed by radiation several years ago (not melanoma), My TSH level was something like 200 (normals range something like 0.5-12.0???). Anyway, that meant that my pituitary gland was over-producing TSH because my thryroid was not doing its job (hypothyroid). I remember being very tired, and  just "not feeling right." The doctor actually was telling me that what I was feeling was "normal" after all I'd been through (chemo and radiation for Hodgkins Lyphoma). He did the TSH test just for the heck of it and was shocked when he got the results. I've been on synthroid ever since with no further problems or issues.

Good luck,

Janet Lee

Janet Lee
                  Participant

Good luck,

Janet Lee

awillett1991
                    Participant
                      Thanks yes my thyroid is normal and my TSH wasn’t run. Calling them Monday. TSH has bounced between .02 and .7, then T3/T4 are high or normal.

Frustrating.

Amy

awillett1991
                      Participant
                        Thanks yes my thyroid is normal and my TSH wasn’t run. Calling them Monday. TSH has bounced between .02 and .7, then T3/T4 are high or normal.

Frustrating.

Amy

awillett1991
                        Participant

Frustrating.

Amy

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics