The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Ipi Bad News for Me may be bad news for you…..

Forums General Melanoma Community Ipi Bad News for Me may be bad news for you…..

Participant

I have had conversations with multiple people who have had the Pituatary Gland swelling as a side effect on Yervoy/Ipi.  I too had the swelling and we resumed dosage after the swelling was brought back down.  Some of you had said that your doctor did not resume dosage because the swelling was an indicator that the Yervoy was working.  

Here's my bad news.  I finished my 4th dose on November 20, 2013.  CT Scan on December 12, 2013 showed zero new growth.  CT Scan on February 12, 2014 showed 11 new growths.  Multiple spots in both lungs, liver, spine, vertebrae, stomach and two bone spots.  

While they are saying that there is still a chance that the Yervoy will stop the growth and may even kill the cancer, we are going to Moffit in Tampa and start another treatment or go BRAF/MEK locally.  Waiting for them to call me to set up the appointment.

Don't want to be the bearer of bad news or the squasher of hope, but I thought it was important that I share my experience.  I truly hope that yours turns out better.

Good luck to all of you.  I've got to get my boxing gloves back on and get ready for the next round!

Dave

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        kpcollins31
        Participant

Unfortunate news – from what I have read here, swelling of the pituitary gland appears to be a pretty common problem with Yervoy. Hopefully, your next treatment offers better results. Good luck.

Kevin

kpcollins31
          Participant

Unfortunate news – from what I have read here, swelling of the pituitary gland appears to be a pretty common problem with Yervoy. Hopefully, your next treatment offers better results. Good luck.

Kevin

kpcollins31
            Participant

Kevin

ecc26
              Participant

It really gets my goat when people, and especially doctors make a claim that a certain side effect, or particularly one of the more severe side effects (like pituitary swelling) means Ipi is working. There has never been ANY corolation or other connection between number, type, or severity of side effects of Ipi and response. There are just as many people who progress with pituitary swelling or severe colitis as there are people who get a long term response.  Pretty much everyone has some side effects but that has nothing to do with whether or not the lymphocyes are attacking the right thing (i.e. the melanoma)! All it means is that the person has side effects. It's like saying if you get a fever with interferon it must be working. No it doesn't! 

It just gives false hope to people and it's frustrating! 

You're smart not wait around for the Ipi to start working and instead to get going on a backup plan. Good luck to you.

BrianP
                  Participant

Mr./Mrs. Anonymous,

This has certainly been a point of contention recently on this board.  Can you site any recent studies that show there is no correlation between IRAEs (Immune Related Adverse Events) and disease progression/regression?  The study below is from 2007 and certainly indicates that there potentially is a correlation.  I'm surprised there isn't updated information on this front.  Maybe there is and I just haven't seen it. 

"Increasing evidence suggests that IRAEs may correlate with response to ipilimumab. Attia and colleagues reported that ipilimumab-treated patients experiencing grade III/IV IRAEs had a significantly higher rate of tumor regression than those without IRAEs (36% versus 5% of patients) [5]. As reported by Beck and associates, the objective response rate was significantly higher in ipilimumab-treated melanoma patients who developed enterocolitis compared with those who did not (36% versus 11%) [10]. Preliminary results also suggest that the association may hold true in the adjuvant setting [13]. Further studies will help to elucidate the relationship between IRAEs and response to ipilimumab treatment"

BrianP
                    Participant

Mr./Mrs. Anonymous,

This has certainly been a point of contention recently on this board.  Can you site any recent studies that show there is no correlation between IRAEs (Immune Related Adverse Events) and disease progression/regression?  The study below is from 2007 and certainly indicates that there potentially is a correlation.  I'm surprised there isn't updated information on this front.  Maybe there is and I just haven't seen it. 

"Increasing evidence suggests that IRAEs may correlate with response to ipilimumab. Attia and colleagues reported that ipilimumab-treated patients experiencing grade III/IV IRAEs had a significantly higher rate of tumor regression than those without IRAEs (36% versus 5% of patients) [5]. As reported by Beck and associates, the objective response rate was significantly higher in ipilimumab-treated melanoma patients who developed enterocolitis compared with those who did not (36% versus 11%) [10]. Preliminary results also suggest that the association may hold true in the adjuvant setting [13]. Further studies will help to elucidate the relationship between IRAEs and response to ipilimumab treatment"

BrianP
                      Participant

Mr./Mrs. Anonymous,

ecc26
                      Participant

It really gets my goat when people, and especially doctors make a claim that a certain side effect, or particularly one of the more severe side effects (like pituitary swelling) means Ipi is working. There has never been ANY corolation or other connection between number, type, or severity of side effects of Ipi and response. There are just as many people who progress with pituitary swelling or severe colitis as there are people who get a long term response.  Pretty much everyone has some side effects but that has nothing to do with whether or not the lymphocyes are attacking the right thing (i.e. the melanoma)! All it means is that the person has side effects. It's like saying if you get a fever with interferon it must be working. No it doesn't! 

You're smart not wait around for the Ipi to start working and instead to get going on a backup plan. Good luck to you.

ecc26
                        Participant

BrianP
                          Participant

Dave,

Sorry about your latest results.  Thanks for posting the info.  I hate posting that kind of news also but it's important to share it.  Good luck at Moffitt.  Will you be seeing Dr. Weber?

Brian

BrianP
                            Participant

Dave,

Sorry about your latest results.  Thanks for posting the info.  I hate posting that kind of news also but it's important to share it.  Good luck at Moffitt.  Will you be seeing Dr. Weber?

Brian

BrianP
                              Participant

Dave,

Brian

Dave from Ormond
                                  Participant

Yes, I get to see Dr. Weber.  Apparently he has some new trial going on that is getting excellent results.  

BrianP
                                    Participant

Hey Dave,

If you don't mind me asking what is the new trial Dr. Weber is doing?

BrianP
                                      Participant

Hey Dave,

BrianP
                                        Participant

Hey Dave,

Dave from Ormond
                                          Participant

I didn't qualify for the new trial.  Have to have mets bigger than 11 mm and easily extractable.  My big one is in my hip bone and my other big one got radiated.

He's putting me on the BRAF/MEK combo for now.  Sounds very promising with 76% success rate.  

My wife took a bunch of notes on the other options.  I'll let you know what they were as soon as she gives me her notes.

Dave from Ormond
                                            Participant

I didn't qualify for the new trial.  Have to have mets bigger than 11 mm and easily extractable.  My big one is in my hip bone and my other big one got radiated.

He's putting me on the BRAF/MEK combo for now.  Sounds very promising with 76% success rate.  

My wife took a bunch of notes on the other options.  I'll let you know what they were as soon as she gives me her notes.

BrianP
                                              Participant

Thanks Dave,

Was curious if TIL options were talked about.  I read recently they got a grant to start some TIL trials.  I think most of the TIL trials they are doing require a resectable tumor but I wonder if they have any that don't require a resectable tumor.  Glad the BRAF/MEK combo sound so promising.

Brian

BrianP
                                                Participant

Thanks Dave,

Was curious if TIL options were talked about.  I read recently they got a grant to start some TIL trials.  I think most of the TIL trials they are doing require a resectable tumor but I wonder if they have any that don't require a resectable tumor.  Glad the BRAF/MEK combo sound so promising.

Brian

Dave from Ormond
                                                  Participant

As a matter of fact, he spoke very highly of the TIL.  My only problem was that I don't currently have anything large enough or easily resectable yet.  Gives me hope though.  You have to have mets that are greater than 11 mm.  My biggest is in my lungs and is only 8 mm.

If I remember correctly, the stage IV trial for this is opening in a few weeks.  He threw so much info at us that I may be confused as to which one, but I'm 90% sure it was TIL.

And on a sour note, they found 4 small mets in my brain last week.  I have to get whole brain radiation prior to the BRAF/MEK.  I start my 15 rounds of treatment tomorrow.  Can't seem to get a break lately, but I'm sure things will turn around soon.  I've switched to a new Radiology Oncologist as the last one was a jerk.  I'm really happy with my initial meeting with the new one and I think he'll treat me like a patient, not a pain.

Take care.

Dave from Ormond
                                                    Participant

As a matter of fact, he spoke very highly of the TIL.  My only problem was that I don't currently have anything large enough or easily resectable yet.  Gives me hope though.  You have to have mets that are greater than 11 mm.  My biggest is in my lungs and is only 8 mm.

If I remember correctly, the stage IV trial for this is opening in a few weeks.  He threw so much info at us that I may be confused as to which one, but I'm 90% sure it was TIL.

And on a sour note, they found 4 small mets in my brain last week.  I have to get whole brain radiation prior to the BRAF/MEK.  I start my 15 rounds of treatment tomorrow.  Can't seem to get a break lately, but I'm sure things will turn around soon.  I've switched to a new Radiology Oncologist as the last one was a jerk.  I'm really happy with my initial meeting with the new one and I think he'll treat me like a patient, not a pain.

Take care.

Dave from Ormond
                                                      Participant

Take care.

BrianP
                                                        Participant

Thanks Dave,

Brian

Dave from Ormond
                                                          Participant

Dave from Ormond
                                                            Participant

Yes, I get to see Dr. Weber.  Apparently he has some new trial going on that is getting excellent results.  

Dave from Ormond
                                                              Participant

JoshF
                                                              Participant

My doctor has always said that things like swelling of glans…itchy skinetc.. is a reaction of drug from your body. Only real results is reaction or affect on tumor…I had thyroid issue and itchy skin with mild bouts of diarehha at times only after infusion. True test came near end of year when CT scan showed shrinkage of lung tumors and recent PET showed NED.

JoshF
                                                                Participant

My doctor has always said that things like swelling of glans…itchy skinetc.. is a reaction of drug from your body. Only real results is reaction or affect on tumor…I had thyroid issue and itchy skin with mild bouts of diarehha at times only after infusion. True test came near end of year when CT scan showed shrinkage of lung tumors and recent PET showed NED.

JoshF
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics