The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I Saw My New Fresh Onco Eyes

Forums General Melanoma Community I Saw My New Fresh Onco Eyes

Participant
      Hi guys, im back, well, Dr Rodriguez super cool guy! I felt relaxed with him..the idea of Radiation is out the question, his Knowledge of Melanoma shows that Radio Frequencies does not penetrate melanoma tumors very well, the Brain yes, at a high doses but to the lung, not so much, and my tumors location, not good idea…
      Surgery is probably my best option (for the 5.4cm Tumor in my RLL, he is to meet with his colleagues here in a few days & will present my case. As far as treatment either before or after “or” even “instead” of surgery, that IL-2 (Interlukens) crap is all he pointed to at this point. However, if we did do the surgery (on the big sucker 5.4cm) & remove it, we could still continue the Opdivo after i heal, for it was working on all other tumors, i have ONE defiant tumor screwing it all up for me!
      Im BRAFF Negative, the test was done by the way…
      A bit to think about ay?.. Ill come back later guys…love ya guys..
    Viewing 10 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Hey Mike, sounds like you have a good plan!  Pop that defiant sucker out and be done with him!

I too had a recalcitrant lung tumor, had the surgery, and haven't looked back.  The surgery isn't the worst I've had, but it wasn't a walk in the park. either.the biggest pain was the chest tube.  Once that came out life was much, much better.

Trust this will do it for you and PD1 will continue to kick Mel's butt!

Shalom!

Julie

MelanomaMike
            Participant
              Hay hay SoCal sistah! Aaaagghh Pain in the ass! Surgery that is, i mean, in my left leg was NOTHING! but to be doing my lung?, thats a WHOLE other ball game..how long you had the Drain tube for? However long it took for your Lymphnodes to drain fluid on its own? A week? 3 weeks? I do have a lil experiance when they extracted some of my Lnodes (had Melanoma in them) back in 2008, had the drain tube, the “sack” the Logbook, pain indah butt! Had it like a month!..but anyways, no pain no gain! (in some cases no)…
              Thanx sister, you & the rest rock! We will Beat this shit, and i “mean” ALL OF US! or atleast prolong our lives, ill take either or..;) oh! Im BRAFF Negative by the way..
            aramat
            Participant

Glad you liked him and he has a plan! 

Sorry about the potential surgery, but if it would ease your symptoms and allow you to go back on Opdivo after you heal, it sounds worthwhile!

Take care and wishing you the best!

MelanomaMike
                Participant
                  Thanx aramat! Im gunna do it! I have to!!
                KellyH
                Participant

Hi Mike. 

Im so glad you liked Dr. Rodriguez…that’s exactly how I felt when we went to Boston with my son to see Dr. Flaherty….I felt like my son is in such good hands and I do trust him completely. I feel like he truly has my son’s back….We do not see him regularly because we are from New York but he consults with my sons oncologist on a regular basis about my sons case.  It means the world to me that there is a doctor that cares that much about my child. 

Removing the tumor and going back on Opdivo sounds like a great plan.  Just get it out there. 

Im sure the team will come up with an awesome plan and get you moving in the right direction!!!!! 

Hang in there!!! We are all here for you!!! 

Kelly 🙂 

MelanomaMike
                    Participant
                      Thanx Kell! Im pretty sure ill get er done! It DOES GIVE ME THE HEAD CREEPS! yixe! Possibly breaking rib bones, cuttin (most likely) the whole Lower Lobe out! Aaaah! Big difference in all prior surgeries, they where all in my left leg for crying out loud! Easy breezy!.. Ill do it, i have to..i wanba “buy” me some more time & continue Opdivo!…hugs!
                    GreggL
                    Participant

Of all the surgeries I've had this was actually the easiest one on me. But, like Julie in SoCal said, the chest tube was really painful for me, while it was in. As soon as it came out I felt way better. The problem was my doctor was standing in my doorway flirting with 2 nurses for a good 5-7 minutes. I was getting so frustrated watching this because I was really in alot of pain and with the meds I was on I was a little loopy and almost started yelling at him. I'm certainly glad I didn't, it might have made the stitches removal awkward. 

MelanomaMike
                        Participant
                          Ya know! Us “dirty young men (the Patient) are the ones to be flirting with the nurses anyways! Damn him!…ya, the God awful drain tube, well, atleast i know the whole 9 yards of it (pun intended) had that after surgery #2 when they extracted some of my groins Lymphnodes back in 2008..
                        bjeans
                        Participant

You’ve got this – you and new doc! Yes, scary, but cut that stubborn out asap and you’ll soon be looking back with relief.

OT and btw, I have a friend whose husband needs lung transplants. In fact they raced to the hospital yesterday and he was prepped – and 22 hours later were told the lungs weren’t a match. Back home to wait. I’ve had surgeries, but cannot imagine. 

Hang in there!

Beth, the wife

Mark_DC
                          Participant

Hi Mike,

Am glad you liked your new doctor, and I think his recommendation makes sense. I asked my oncologist last week the same question (was kind of thinking of you!) and he said radiation was not so great for melanoma, it does not work. Now I know radiation for brain mets is a good idea, so seems your doctor explained why it can work in the brain and not so well elsewhere. Anyway, i was hoping for radiation a couple of years back, it seemed pretty easy compared to the alternatives (I think they guy who took out my melanoma but not successfully recommended this), but the experts at the hospital argued against.

Did you discuss TVEC? Could this work or is the tumour too large or not injectable? Bit of a curveball. For me if TVEC does not work then I will have to go for surgery too, and its what Jennunicorn did (and i guess Julie in Socal too and before that Polymath (Gary) on a huge tumour). I am wondering if lung surgery might be easier than the lower leg – I have had two leg surgeries and since I am useless with crutches found it bad each time, and worse the second time as they took more out and the skin graft was much worse.

You still might want to ask about cliniial trials and Hamid or Ribas might have more for you. But surgery could be a good option. Precsiely because its the big one in the lung thats the problem, the rest seem to be under control or maybe shrinking. SO get the big one out (I hope they mismeasured it) and maybe the meds will work (nivo/opdivo or why not keytruda which is similar?)

This is going to be a huge pain but its a plan. Get some books to read or lists of films for netflix / prime / filmstruck ready for post surgery and go for it. Hope the team can do it and you go for it.

good luck and best wishes

Mark

lkb
                            Participant

The head creeps? Ha. Glad you liked the doc and had a good meeting. I also think why not talk to another one as well? I understand that some are more into the trials than others. I also understand that you may be ready to just get that thing removed and go back on Nivo. Were you able to discuss your side effects and methods of relief?

Roberto
                              Participant
                                Hi Jack, glad you liked the new doctor. this is better than many treatments. You commented on IL-2. What about Til? The results are much better than Il-2. I know there are many suggestions and guesses but it is that we all want the best for you and I pray a lot because I know that your success will be a hope for those who are in the same situation as you.
                                  Roberto
                                  Participant
                                    Mike, I’m sorry that I called you Jack. It’s that in your photo you’re looking a lot like my brother-in-law Jack
                                  Savymoo23
                                  Participant

Hey Mike, missing you guys!
                                    Been trying to stay offline to kind of just enjoy my life I suppose. Been thinking about you. I just know things will end up okay for you. I have dreams about the people on here and I really believe in my dreams. Keep your head up Mike!! Much love!!!

iskitwo
                                    Participant

Hey Mike, Glad you got some direction. I had a lung mass that we watched grow over a 6 month time frame (was still stage 3 at the time) Finally I had enough and asked them just to take it out. It was removed by TVAC although he said that if that was not possible once he got in there he would do it old style with a larger incision. People had warned me about the chest tube and it was not a walk in the park but it comes out before you go home so they keep you on the good pain meds. I thought this was a much easier recovery than a previous lymph node dissection. You have to make the best desision for you but if the Opdivo was working on all the others I would want to get back to it as quick as possible. 

Missy

MelanomaMike
                                      Participant
                                        Hi Ya’ll, thank you thank you thank you! For yer replies of concern, love & hope! Seriously, i mean, “you” folks supply me with a much higher level of support then anywhere else on earth, not taking away from the wife, bless her beautiful heart, she is stronger then me half the time! Especially in the mornings when i cant get my muscles going & theres jars to be opened or whatever! Haha…shes my rock & I love her even more these days..
                                        I didnt realy go over my pains in the mornings, of course when i saw the Dr. I was feeling great & besides, he was just a second opinion guy, i can always go down to my own Dr/onco & complain if need be, im dealing with it, it goes away after my meds & coffee! Yah, ill end up gettin this gosh darn surgery overwith, it makes since, i visual it like a “Battle Field” if yer surrounded by the enemy & there is one “Sniper” on their team (that being the 5.4cm) ya gotta take him out! The rest is eazy breezy…
                                        Iv been kinda behind responded to alotta post’s here (not “my”crap) so, gotta catch up today and spread support! Its NOT just about my sorry ass! Lol…love U all…
                                    Viewing 10 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics