The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

I feel so alone

Forums General Melanoma Community I feel so alone

Participant

I can't write and explain like some of you can.  I read here daily and feel a connection here that I don't feel with family and friends.  Brent is my life and we are going through some bad stuff right now.  His pain is a 10 and the doctors here are going to do a radio frequency ablation to the nerve that is causing the pain.

I asked earlier if anyone has had any success with this kind of nerve block and not one person responded so I guess i am on my own with this proceedure as far as what to expect or watch out for.  . 

I can't write and explain like some of you can.  I read here daily and feel a connection here that I don't feel with family and friends.  Brent is my life and we are going through some bad stuff right now.  His pain is a 10 and the doctors here are going to do a radio frequency ablation to the nerve that is causing the pain.

I asked earlier if anyone has had any success with this kind of nerve block and not one person responded so I guess i am on my own with this proceedure as far as what to expect or watch out for.  . 

It is hard to reach out for comfort and when I am in the heat of the battle so to speak with no road map it is downright terror.  Nights in the hopsital alone are the worst.

He is fighting with all he has right now and the next infusion of the drug is at week from tomorrow.  He has to make that appointment for the infusion.

Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Replies
        buffcody
        Participant

I wish I could be of some practical help to you, but, as a relative newcomer to Stage IV, I  probably know much less than you do.  I do want you to know, as I'm sure you have been assured by your time on this site, that you are not alone and that I (and I'm sure many others) will be thinking of and praying for you and Brent during this especially hard time.  I had a chance before posting this to read Brent's courageous history in his battle with this disease.  You seem to have found a way through the past five years even when the odds were clearly against you.  That should give you hope in this latest setback.  For a better day………

buffcody
          Participant

I wish I could be of some practical help to you, but, as a relative newcomer to Stage IV, I  probably know much less than you do.  I do want you to know, as I'm sure you have been assured by your time on this site, that you are not alone and that I (and I'm sure many others) will be thinking of and praying for you and Brent during this especially hard time.  I had a chance before posting this to read Brent's courageous history in his battle with this disease.  You seem to have found a way through the past five years even when the odds were clearly against you.  That should give you hope in this latest setback.  For a better day………

sharmon
              Participant

Thanks so very much,  your words are like a fresh drink of cold water.  I have not looked back in a long time and your' right! 

You may not have been here long but you have a keen sense of jouney we are on and I can't thank you enough for reminding me that this is just another bump in the road.

sharmon
                Participant

Thanks so very much,  your words are like a fresh drink of cold water.  I have not looked back in a long time and your' right! 

You may not have been here long but you have a keen sense of jouney we are on and I can't thank you enough for reminding me that this is just another bump in the road.

sharmon
                  Participant

buffcody
                  Participant

Fen
                    Participant

Oh, Sharmon, I'm sorry.   If I lived next door I'd bring casseroles and hugs, but this is the best I can do right now. Does the hospital have a minister or social worker on the night shift?  Someone who could come sit with you for a bit?  

There is no denying that your road is tough right now.  I'm a patient, but I believe the role of the caregiver is more difficult. Your role is also crucial to your husband's treatment and recovery.  I hope it helps to know what an important part you're playing.

Keeping you in my prayers.  Fen

Fen
                      Participant

Oh, Sharmon, I'm sorry.   If I lived next door I'd bring casseroles and hugs, but this is the best I can do right now. Does the hospital have a minister or social worker on the night shift?  Someone who could come sit with you for a bit?  

There is no denying that your road is tough right now.  I'm a patient, but I believe the role of the caregiver is more difficult. Your role is also crucial to your husband's treatment and recovery.  I hope it helps to know what an important part you're playing.

Fen
                        Participant

POW
                            Participant

Oh, gosh, Sharom! I am so sorry that you are Brent have to go through all this! The pain, the fear, the frustration– no wonder you are feeling at your wit's end! I never heard of radioablation so I can't help you there. I just hope that it works for Brent.

I am very distressed that he is living with excruciating pain. That should not be allowed to continue. Most major hospitals have "palliative care" departments that specialize in pain management. Have you contacted them? Have you contacted hospice for home care? They, too, do a great job of managing intractable pain.

Before my brother was diagnosed Stage IV with brain mets, I thought that hospice was for in-patient treatment and only for the last few weeks of life. But now I know that most hospice service is actually done in the home and they really help in so many ways. It used to be that hospice organizations would only take your case when the patient had decided to stop all curative treatments. But that is now changing. My brother in Tampa is being helped by Life Path Hospice. When he is actually admitted to a hospital, he goes off hospice. But as soon as he gets home again, they readmit him to hospice and continue their assistance. I strongly recommend that you contact hospice and, if they serve your area, contact Life Path. Hopefully, they can help Brent be pain-free and help you to not feel so alone.

POW
                              Participant

Oh, gosh, Sharom! I am so sorry that you are Brent have to go through all this! The pain, the fear, the frustration– no wonder you are feeling at your wit's end! I never heard of radioablation so I can't help you there. I just hope that it works for Brent.

I am very distressed that he is living with excruciating pain. That should not be allowed to continue. Most major hospitals have "palliative care" departments that specialize in pain management. Have you contacted them? Have you contacted hospice for home care? They, too, do a great job of managing intractable pain.

Before my brother was diagnosed Stage IV with brain mets, I thought that hospice was for in-patient treatment and only for the last few weeks of life. But now I know that most hospice service is actually done in the home and they really help in so many ways. It used to be that hospice organizations would only take your case when the patient had decided to stop all curative treatments. But that is now changing. My brother in Tampa is being helped by Life Path Hospice. When he is actually admitted to a hospital, he goes off hospice. But as soon as he gets home again, they readmit him to hospice and continue their assistance. I strongly recommend that you contact hospice and, if they serve your area, contact Life Path. Hopefully, they can help Brent be pain-free and help you to not feel so alone.

POW
                                Participant

aldakota22
                                Participant

Like most here  it sometimes is hard to answer such painful posts.Do not really know what to say.Know that he is definitely in my prayers as  well as you are.Think we are all afraid that Brent story may one day be our story.Never give up.Beat the Beast.  AL

aldakota22
                                  Participant

Like most here  it sometimes is hard to answer such painful posts.Do not really know what to say.Know that he is definitely in my prayers as  well as you are.Think we are all afraid that Brent story may one day be our story.Never give up.Beat the Beast.  AL

aldakota22
                                    Participant

Sherron
                                      Participant

I really can't offer you any advice….I can only offer prayer in behalf of you and your husband….I know how awful this disease can be….On November 30th, I will be a widow for 2 years.  Still hurting, still lots of heartache…Jim passed away 4 days before our 43rd anniversary (Dec 4th)…so the next 2 weeks will extremely difficult for me.  I wish you strength, love, prayers and miracles….May God be with you.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

Sherron
                                        Participant

I really can't offer you any advice….I can only offer prayer in behalf of you and your husband….I know how awful this disease can be….On November 30th, I will be a widow for 2 years.  Still hurting, still lots of heartache…Jim passed away 4 days before our 43rd anniversary (Dec 4th)…so the next 2 weeks will extremely difficult for me.  I wish you strength, love, prayers and miracles….May God be with you.

Take Care,

Sherron
                                          Participant

Take Care,

Tina D
                                            Participant

I am so sorry. I know nothing abt the procedure for the nerve block… but lots about the difficult journey. I really think that being the caregiver has to be the hardest thing there is. It is not something you ask for, or expect. Not something you can take training for or can be taught how to do. It is something you are thrown headlong into and with your own heart breaking…. somehow you manage to figure it out as you go. I am sorry it is so lonely. I cannot offer tangible comfort in the way of visits or food, but I am praying for you tonight. I agree with one that mentioned perhaps there is a pastor on call at the hospital, or a social worker who can come and be an ear to hear and a shoulder of comfort to lean on. In many ways, I think the role of caregiver is a very lonely road that only those who walk there understand. I am the patient… I watch my husband have to shoulder so much, and figure things out as we go, many times on his own, basically. Very very painful and difficult. Hang in there, though… many times around the next corner will come some encouragement.

Tina

Tina D
                                              Participant

I am so sorry. I know nothing abt the procedure for the nerve block… but lots about the difficult journey. I really think that being the caregiver has to be the hardest thing there is. It is not something you ask for, or expect. Not something you can take training for or can be taught how to do. It is something you are thrown headlong into and with your own heart breaking…. somehow you manage to figure it out as you go. I am sorry it is so lonely. I cannot offer tangible comfort in the way of visits or food, but I am praying for you tonight. I agree with one that mentioned perhaps there is a pastor on call at the hospital, or a social worker who can come and be an ear to hear and a shoulder of comfort to lean on. In many ways, I think the role of caregiver is a very lonely road that only those who walk there understand. I am the patient… I watch my husband have to shoulder so much, and figure things out as we go, many times on his own, basically. Very very painful and difficult. Hang in there, though… many times around the next corner will come some encouragement.

Tina

Tina D
                                                Participant

Tina

gabsound
                                                  Participant
                                                    Sharmon,

I’m sorry you are having such a difficult time. I can’t imagine pain of 10 on the pain scale. I’ve had pain with my bone mets and it’s like no other pain I’ve ever had. Nothing touches it except things with codeine. I think it’s even harder on my husband than me, watching me be in pain, when there is nothing HE can do to help. That is an awful feeling. I know you just started this anti PD1 trial, but is there anyway he can get some radiation? I’ve had a couple spots done and it did help. Granted my pain is not what his is. I pray that this ablation procedure will be an enormous success and he will get relief from this long standing pain he has been dealing with and that the Anti PD1 is successful and works quickly.

Thinking of you,

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                    Participant
                                                      Sharmon,

I’m sorry you are having such a difficult time. I can’t imagine pain of 10 on the pain scale. I’ve had pain with my bone mets and it’s like no other pain I’ve ever had. Nothing touches it except things with codeine. I think it’s even harder on my husband than me, watching me be in pain, when there is nothing HE can do to help. That is an awful feeling. I know you just started this anti PD1 trial, but is there anyway he can get some radiation? I’ve had a couple spots done and it did help. Granted my pain is not what his is. I pray that this ablation procedure will be an enormous success and he will get relief from this long standing pain he has been dealing with and that the Anti PD1 is successful and works quickly.

Thinking of you,

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                      Participant
                                                        Sharmon,

Thinking of you,

Julie in Las Vegas

sharmon
                                                        Participant

Today is the day for the Intercostal Nerve block, It is going to happens this morning.  I will going with him to the proceedure to help communicate to him.  He is really out of it due to pain meds.   Thanks to everyone who responed to my post.  Daylight helps.  I think the night is not a good time to be awake.  It makes things seem worse. 

We did have a visit from the  Pastor of a small  chuch Brent had attented this past month with a elderly lady that works in the office and it helped to talk about our situation.    This ladly contacted hm.  The visit was totally a surprise and unexpected.  It helped.

The nurse we had yesterday was a great help.  She had been off for Thanksgiving and although we had been here since Tuesday we had never met her.    Her husband has used the nerve block due to a work injury to his back.  Also she was a staff member for awhile in that department and gave us a lot of information and that was really comforting.

We had met a couple in the Rv park where we stay and they heard yesterday that Brent was in the Hospital and called to ask if they could do anything.  They volunteered to come by for a few hours so I could take a break.  I went home and it was a welcome relief.

All of these people literallly came out of the woodwork.  The lady who invited Brent to churck.  The Pastor, the nurse and the couple from the RV park, and of course all of you who took the time to post and reply.  What a difference it makes in my abillity to handle the next few hours.  I have decided I need to ask for angles more often.

Blessings to you all.

sharmon
                                                          Participant

Today is the day for the Intercostal Nerve block, It is going to happens this morning.  I will going with him to the proceedure to help communicate to him.  He is really out of it due to pain meds.   Thanks to everyone who responed to my post.  Daylight helps.  I think the night is not a good time to be awake.  It makes things seem worse. 

We did have a visit from the  Pastor of a small  chuch Brent had attented this past month with a elderly lady that works in the office and it helped to talk about our situation.    This ladly contacted hm.  The visit was totally a surprise and unexpected.  It helped.

The nurse we had yesterday was a great help.  She had been off for Thanksgiving and although we had been here since Tuesday we had never met her.    Her husband has used the nerve block due to a work injury to his back.  Also she was a staff member for awhile in that department and gave us a lot of information and that was really comforting.

We had met a couple in the Rv park where we stay and they heard yesterday that Brent was in the Hospital and called to ask if they could do anything.  They volunteered to come by for a few hours so I could take a break.  I went home and it was a welcome relief.

All of these people literallly came out of the woodwork.  The lady who invited Brent to churck.  The Pastor, the nurse and the couple from the RV park, and of course all of you who took the time to post and reply.  What a difference it makes in my abillity to handle the next few hours.  I have decided I need to ask for angles more often.

Blessings to you all.

sharmon
                                                            Participant

Blessings to you all.

Lori C
                                                              Participant

I am sorry I did not see your initial post.  I had a friend who had good success with radio ablation therapy for pain (this was back pain) though it was not cancer related,  and have done some research on it for my mother, who has spinal stenosis.  It can be very successful and I will certainly be keeping your Brent in my thoughts and prayers.  Pain management is a critical aspect of any illness and an enormous quality of life factor.

I am so concerned that you feel alone in this.  Please email me if you want further support as I have spent my share of nights in the hospital alone with my Will and know how long and frightening they can be.  My email is Brennan07 at aol.com   And of course there are so many on this board who have an enormous amount of experience and are helpful in a thousand ways.  I would not have been able to handle this journey with this board.

Lori, caregiver to Will

Lori C
                                                                Participant

I am sorry I did not see your initial post.  I had a friend who had good success with radio ablation therapy for pain (this was back pain) though it was not cancer related,  and have done some research on it for my mother, who has spinal stenosis.  It can be very successful and I will certainly be keeping your Brent in my thoughts and prayers.  Pain management is a critical aspect of any illness and an enormous quality of life factor.

I am so concerned that you feel alone in this.  Please email me if you want further support as I have spent my share of nights in the hospital alone with my Will and know how long and frightening they can be.  My email is Brennan07 at aol.com   And of course there are so many on this board who have an enormous amount of experience and are helpful in a thousand ways.  I would not have been able to handle this journey with this board.

Lori, caregiver to Will

Lori C
                                                                  Participant

Lori, caregiver to Will

Kim41
                                                                    Participant

My heart goes out to the both of you. I read your profile and it looks like you and Brent have been through so much. My Mom had a nerve ablation done for neck pain and she did get relief with it. I sure Hope Brent does too. I will be thinking and keeping you both in my prayers. Keep us updated. I think this site is wonderful to voice our hopes and fears because you just cant do that with family and friends sometimes. I hope the ablation is successful. Keep up the fight.  Kim

Kim41
                                                                      Participant

My heart goes out to the both of you. I read your profile and it looks like you and Brent have been through so much. My Mom had a nerve ablation done for neck pain and she did get relief with it. I sure Hope Brent does too. I will be thinking and keeping you both in my prayers. Keep us updated. I think this site is wonderful to voice our hopes and fears because you just cant do that with family and friends sometimes. I hope the ablation is successful. Keep up the fight.  Kim

Kim41
                                                                        Participant

Snickers60
                                                                            Participant

God bless you both and give you strength and comfort.    This is a hard illness and it is so very hard on the caretaker. We do not have experience with the ablation but Im about to have knee surgery and the lady in the office told me she hadit done to an artery in her heart.   GO FIGURE.   SHE DID GREAT ! 

I have had MANY Epidural injections in to my spine/neck for stenosis and other issues – not cancer- and they helped me tremendously.    It hurt worse for at time and then I got relief for long periods of time.   Never have had to do L-5 again.

I pray God will send you ANGELS just when you need them.   It's amazing how ONE ENCOURAGING WORD can change your day.    Wayne has been my caretaker for years – decades – for I am in intractable pain all the time and I've watched how it has affected his health.   Then cancer came to him again.    It has been hard on both of us and we have a long hard road

ahead of us.   SOMETIMES it helps me JUST TO KNOW that others are going through this and understand.  NOT THAT I would wish this on anyone, anytime, anywhere…….but you know what I mean.    It just helps you NOT FEEL QUITE SOOOO ALONE ! 

May God makes His presence known to you both and lift you up and strengthen you when your strength is gone.

KEEP THE FAITH ! 

Nancy (devoted wife of 3 X Warrior Wayne)  <><

Snickers60
                                                                              Participant

God bless you both and give you strength and comfort.    This is a hard illness and it is so very hard on the caretaker. We do not have experience with the ablation but Im about to have knee surgery and the lady in the office told me she hadit done to an artery in her heart.   GO FIGURE.   SHE DID GREAT ! 

I have had MANY Epidural injections in to my spine/neck for stenosis and other issues – not cancer- and they helped me tremendously.    It hurt worse for at time and then I got relief for long periods of time.   Never have had to do L-5 again.

I pray God will send you ANGELS just when you need them.   It's amazing how ONE ENCOURAGING WORD can change your day.    Wayne has been my caretaker for years – decades – for I am in intractable pain all the time and I've watched how it has affected his health.   Then cancer came to him again.    It has been hard on both of us and we have a long hard road

ahead of us.   SOMETIMES it helps me JUST TO KNOW that others are going through this and understand.  NOT THAT I would wish this on anyone, anytime, anywhere…….but you know what I mean.    It just helps you NOT FEEL QUITE SOOOO ALONE ! 

May God makes His presence known to you both and lift you up and strengthen you when your strength is gone.

KEEP THE FAITH ! 

Snickers60
                                                                                Participant

KEEP THE FAITH ! 

swissfarm7
                                                                                Participant

I hate that you, or any of us, can feel alone even in the midst of this supportive community.  I answer relatively few posts because, despite feeling as if I've taken a crash course on melanoma these past four months, I have little in the way of knowledge and information.  I'm doing all I can to inform myself and to that end, I'm generally on the receiving end here. 

By the same token, I'm struggling to stay afloat emotionally.  I'm in a loveless marriage, serving as an info source and caretaker for a person who resents me.  Meanwhile, I need to be strong for our five boys.  When it comes to supporting others, my tank is pretty darn near empty.  It doesn't mean I don't care.  I feel a real kinship with those who post here, and I wish very much I could be there for you ~ and you for me ~ beyond the screen. 

Warmly,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                  Participant

I hate that you, or any of us, can feel alone even in the midst of this supportive community.  I answer relatively few posts because, despite feeling as if I've taken a crash course on melanoma these past four months, I have little in the way of knowledge and information.  I'm doing all I can to inform myself and to that end, I'm generally on the receiving end here. 

By the same token, I'm struggling to stay afloat emotionally.  I'm in a loveless marriage, serving as an info source and caretaker for a person who resents me.  Meanwhile, I need to be strong for our five boys.  When it comes to supporting others, my tank is pretty darn near empty.  It doesn't mean I don't care.  I feel a real kinship with those who post here, and I wish very much I could be there for you ~ and you for me ~ beyond the screen. 

Warmly,

Colleen

swissfarm7
                                                                                    Participant

Warmly,

Colleen

mhensley1
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        Hello friend,

I am so sorry to hear about what you and Brent are going through. My husband is stage IV as well. He is a pastor of a local church. I will pray for you and with you if you would like me to. God is good despite the hardship we walk through. It is difficult to see the one you love suffer. My husband is also experiencing a lot of pain in his joints. Bless you as you walk through this time.

mhensley1
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          Hello friend,

I am so sorry to hear about what you and Brent are going through. My husband is stage IV as well. He is a pastor of a local church. I will pray for you and with you if you would like me to. God is good despite the hardship we walk through. It is difficult to see the one you love suffer. My husband is also experiencing a lot of pain in his joints. Bless you as you walk through this time.

mhensley1
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            Hello friend,

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics