The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hurting bone, joints and muscles…. Help

Forums General Melanoma Community Hurting bone, joints and muscles…. Help

Participant

Hurting bone, joints and muscles…. Help
      HELP: I have been on OPDIVO for 10 treatments so far and 16 more to go, the past two weeks, I have had muscle/bone pain all over, My neck, arms, hands, fingers, hips and legs. Just sitting, I feel so tight but when I move, I just cringe with the aching pain.
      Anyone else have this issue and what things have helped. I have tired 1000 mg Bayer back and body, little relief. I have also taken 800mg Motrin, again little relief. So, will this go away or is it now with me for the long hall. Just need some thoughts and suggestions.
      Thanks so much RACO

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        betsyl
        Participant

My husband has same side effects from Keytruda. For a while, Ibuprofen 3x day helped. Then that stopped helping, and now he's on prednisone, which is helping a little but not much. I've heard a lot of people get great results from prednisone. Good luck to you! I hope you are pain free soon.

Brittany1999
          Participant

It went away within 6 weeks of my final infusion of Keytruda. Prior to that it felt like I was 90 years old (aches all over, especially in the knees and surprisingly the elbows). I miss those days when I felt young again (after Keytruda) now I’m starting Opdivo and it is building back up.

Raco
              Participant

Thanks for the info. I agree about missing the days when I felt young. How exhausting this journey is.

MelanomaMike
              Participant

Hi Anonymous, well. all i can say is for one, welcome to the world of immunal therapy and its joint, muscle, and bone pain! its a "debilitating" way of letting you know you are in the fight and you are very much alive…I too deal with the very same pain, almost every morning i wake up on fire! my usual cocktail includes my Hydrocortisone regiment,  3 Advils, and 3 strong cups of McCafe filled "pods" for my trusty ol Kureg! it hurts bad, then disipatates in like 2hrs…i to take Opdivo, i just completed my last infuse of Yervoy, 4 in total {as a combo} and will continue nivo till further notice. I was on Keytruda for #7 infusions but stopped due to progression. It sucks eggs but its keeping us alive! do what i do, when you feel pain, remind yourself that your very much ALIVE! and thats a good thing…

Raco
                  Participant

Thanks for the info, did not mean for this to be anonymous must have hit wrong button. I have a profile and go by RACO

ck out my bio

i wish you also the best with your journey as the say

no pain no gain, but it just hurts as hell 

Robbir Borum 

RACO

Raco
                    Participant

Thanks for the info, did not mean for this to be anonymous must have hit wrong button. I have a profile and go by RACO

ck out my bio

i wish you also the best with your journey as the say

no pain no gain, but it just hurts as hell 

Robbir Borum 

RACO

Jubes
                    Participant

Hi

I have been struggling with this for 3 years. For a while I could not move at all. Treatments have included prednisone, infliximab ( which worked amazingly, but the cancer started to grow again and they were not sure if there might be a connection) I see a rheumatologist regularly and he is trying to get the best result he can with a combination of immune suppressants like plaquenil and sulfazalasine, anti inflammatory drugs like orevail, and occasionally I need steroid injections in my knees, hips or shoulder. My oncologist wants me to try infliximab again but the rheumatologist says two years ned, he doesn’t want to take any risk. I am working and getting around ok but can’t do my long walks or yoga so l guess that’s a small price to pay. Hope something here helps you. Best of luck. Anne-Louise 

Raco
                        Participant

Appreciate the feedback, I’m am grateful so far that the

constant pain hurt is not all day every day, just seems to affect different areas on different days, however, the past week has been real bad so far ALMOST every joint was hurting and making me irritated.

Today my wife made me stay in bed all day to get as much rest as I could, this seemed to help this time also taken 800 mg Motrin every 5 hours. Feeling ok now but tomorrow is another day. 

take care and best of luck with your treatments.

RACO

Sharon93065
                        Participant

Welcome to our world.  I have had pain in ankles, even in bed. Knees. Should is better. Even in petscan it shows degenerative osteoarthritis.  I had ankle and knee xrays, referred to a rheumatologist.  She says i do not have RA.  I am having really bad joint pain in my left buttock.  Hurts to walk bend sit.  I have a prescription for Meloxicam that helps.  Otherwise Aleve is a good otc nsaid to take.  Aspercream helps alot, even the generic aspercreme that is just called arthritis cream or pain relief cream.  Also Biofeeze, my daughter bought me the spray and i bought the rollons from Amazon.  The new thing is getting medical marijuana many of my friends are starting to use it for same purpose.  That is my next step.  I am  71 so these are seniors starting to use these for RA and osteoarthritis.  Soaking in epsom salt bath.  I have bucket in living room sometimes i soak my ankles while watching  tv. I did not thinkj we can take prednisone while taking opvido?  That's why i got weaned off to start it.  And RA dr said the treatmentt for RA if i had it would counteer effect my immunotherapy.  Gentle water aerobics helps.  We are still because we hurt to use our muscles, and vice versa.  But we have to keep moving!! 

Raco
                            Participant

Thank you for the info I also wish you the best

Julie in SoCal
                            Participant

Oh yes, this is a thing.  I was on Pembro / Ketruda for a year and a half and ended up with autoimmune inflammatory arthritis.  Wrists, shoulders, back, hips, knees, all hurt.  For some reason my elbows, neck and ankles were spared.  I'm not sure why, but I'm grateful. 

I'm now on a daily 5mg dose of prednisone now after tapering down from 80mg.  I will probably be on this for life, but this and the other drugs help me get out of bed in the morning.  So I'm ok with it. and my Rock Star Doc is ok with it.

It took me a long time to find my way through this, (as it started while I was on Ketruda but really blossomed after I had already stopped due to progression) but eventually we figured it out and now after 2 knee replacements I'm getting back to some semblance of normal. 

So have hope, there's a way through this and you'll find it.

Shalom

Julie

Raco
                                Participant

Thank you for the info and hope for the best for you

MelanomaMike
                                  Participant
                                    Hi Julie, nice to actualy meet you, i guess yer my SoCal sister!!? Im sittin’ right here in Van Nuys Calif. How bout you?..anyways, ya sis, talk about “knee” pain! Since i started treatment in Nov2017 everything is going south, im to be 50 this Dec & i feel like im older! Plus i live up one flight of stairs & going “Down” is fearful! Feels like im gunna buckle! I just take Hydrocortisones and Advils & it helps big time! We are all Peas innah Pod arnt we!!?..take good care SoCal sis!..Mike…
                                    Julie in SoCal
                                    Participant

Hi there Mike! ! I'm just down the street in Long Beach!

Oh I understand the knee instability!  I moved to a one story house so I didn't have to "walk" up the stairs.  I say "walk" because I did the stairs like a preschooler – on my backside one stair at a time! It wasn't a pretty sight and my family was always terrified I was going to fall.  Can't have that.  

But I am now walking straight up and without a cane.  And it's nice to have my full height again. I felt 90, too and of course really old when everyone holds the door or moves a chair out of my way for me.  Grateful, but….

I'm now 1 and 5 months out of knee replacement surgeries so PT is my life right now.  But in terms of getting my life back, this is one of the best decisions I've made in a long time.

Happy to have another SoCal brother – though wish you didn't have the pain

Blessings,

Julie

mandyjill
                                    Participant

I have been on a clinical trial of Opdivo/Yerboy for almost a year (only one treatment to go) and started developing the exact same symptoms about half-way through.  I have been on prednisone and it pretty much took care of all the pain.  I asked the doc if the prednisone would have any affect on the effectiveness of the immunotherapy, and he said it wasn't big enough of a dose to matter.

Raco
                                        Participant

Interesting, I keep hearing you can’t take prednisone when taken OpDivo

Mat
                                          Participant

Not true.  Prednisone is used to treat many side effects, including arthritis/joint pain.  I have been dealing with arthritis and related pains from ipi-nivo since December 2016 (high class problems).  I haven't yet found an ideal solution.  I'm in decent shape with methotrexate and 5-7.5mg prednisone.  I feel better with a higher dose of prednisone but am concerned about bone loss and long term effects (not concerned with interaction with treatment).  I also use Tylenol since I've had some GI issues (Advil, etc. can irritate GI with long term use).   Good luck.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics