The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

How often do you go back to derm?

Forums General Melanoma Community How often do you go back to derm?

Participant

So when I was diagnosed in May with 1B, my dermatologist said that I'd need to have a skin check every 3 months for the next two years, every 6 months for the following two years, then annually after that.

At my appointment yesterday, he said that I could do every three months for the next year, six months for the following year, then annually.  Thoughts?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Savymoo23
        Participant

Sounds correct 🙂

BillB
          Participant

My dermatologist sees me every 6 months. Every three months seems a little often to me if you are doing routine exams too. Just my opinion. At this point we have never discussed long term but I would imagine every 6 months.

Bill

BillB
              Participant

Sorry, didn’t mean to make it anonymous.

Bill

MarkR
              Participant

Sounds about right although my derm previously said annual was pointless so I remained at 6monthly for 10 years

CallMeKate
                Participant

Good to know, everyone.  Thanks for your input!

mandyjill
                  Participant

I was diagnosed as Stage 3B about a year and a half ago and go to the dermatologist for a skin check every 6 months.  That is what my oncologist recommended.

Richard_K
                    Participant

Diagnosed Ib in 1998, IV in 2009, and Ia 2014. I have derm exams every three months and onc follow-up every 12 weeks.

bjeans
                      Participant

My husband, 3C, gets a mole check by his dermatologist (director) or PA at his melanoma center every three months at this point. 

Joycem
                        Participant

Every 3 mo for 1st 2 years, just competed and now every 6 months henceforth.  

MelanomaMike
                          Participant
                            Sounds about right, assuming you wanna be very proactive and dont mind the co-pays if any. For me on the other hand, im a little pissed off “Still” not at my Dermatologist but at the folks who Analized my initial biopsy on my left leg back in Like October 2016 inwich it came back “not” Melanoma but something else “non cancerous”(forget name)..well, for the next 3 or so months it grew back with a vengence (had a shaved bio), came back, had “another” shaved biopsy and this time it was Melanoma and i believe that 3 maybe 4 month time frame it migrated to my lungs…i havnt seen them in 2yrs…ill look over myself! Lol…Mike
                              CallMeKate
                              Participant

Hey Mike…

No, I don't mind the co-pays.  I'd rather do the co-pay than deal with another surgery.  And, my derm is telling me that the University of Iowa is setting up a melanoma clinic, so having a centralized location for all of this care will be good.

CallMeKate
                                Participant

And yeah, I'd be pissed as hell.

MelanomaMike
                                  Participant
                                    Hell i was! And maybe i did have a punch done the second time (cant remember) do know it was a ” shave” the first biopsy… You (and everyone else here) just continue to be proactive, i know from recent experiance (last year & a 1/2) Melanoma can grow fast as hellfire! Blink of an eye and it multiplies…
                                    bjeans
                                    Participant

Ugh, that sucks, and you deserve to be furious. And why are they doing shave biopsies instead (at least) of punch? Easier for them? Hang in there. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics