The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

how long are you a cancer survivor

Forums General Melanoma Community how long are you a cancer survivor

Participant
      I have faced the fact that cancer is an evil creature that may take my life. I am just trying to see how many people have kicked its ass. I am stage III with 3.6 mm nodular melanoma one sentinel node was positive and getting more nodes cut out. How long did you have it and what stages were you, what treatments and how long have you survived this evil? I am fighting this with everything I have and will have. I am not going to quit just yet. Also I am in central Texas. Is anyo e else around the Ft hood area?

Mark D.

I have faced the fact that cancer is an evil creature that may take my life. I am just trying to see how many people have kicked its ass. I am stage III with 3.6 mm nodular melanoma one sentinel node was positive and getting more nodes cut out. How long did you have it and what stages were you, what treatments and how long have you survived this evil? I am fighting this with everything I have and will have. I am not going to quit just yet. Also I am in central Texas. Is anyo e else around the Ft hood area?

Mark D.

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tina D
        Participant

Greetings Mark,

We spent many happy years in the Ft Hood area, and three out of our four Texan kiddos were born while we lived there ( we added a Hoosier to the bunch when we moved north). I am sorry you are having to deal with any of this. I wont list all my treatments, etc here, but you can click on my profile to see this part of my journey. I will summarize, though, to say that in 2002 at the age of 37, I was diagnosed with breast cancer ( treated succesfully that yr w/surgery/chemo/radiation – no recurrences), then 6 weeks later with melanoma. I had no further signs of the melanoma until Dec of 2005, when I had a distant metastasis moving me to stage IV. So…. my statistics weren't too great at that point in time. Suffice it to say, that I am writing this note this morning as I sit, very much alive, and VERY grateful, at my computer desk. Statistics are just that… each person is individual. It is VERY encouraging to me to hear from others who have walked the road a lengthy time, so that is why I am posting this here for you today. Pretty sure my Drs at that point back in 2005 wouldn't have given much hope for me sitting here this morning all these years later. Take heart and hope in this as well as in the many many hopeful stories you will find here among this group of people. Where are you going for treatments?

Tina

Tina D
          Participant

Greetings Mark,

We spent many happy years in the Ft Hood area, and three out of our four Texan kiddos were born while we lived there ( we added a Hoosier to the bunch when we moved north). I am sorry you are having to deal with any of this. I wont list all my treatments, etc here, but you can click on my profile to see this part of my journey. I will summarize, though, to say that in 2002 at the age of 37, I was diagnosed with breast cancer ( treated succesfully that yr w/surgery/chemo/radiation – no recurrences), then 6 weeks later with melanoma. I had no further signs of the melanoma until Dec of 2005, when I had a distant metastasis moving me to stage IV. So…. my statistics weren't too great at that point in time. Suffice it to say, that I am writing this note this morning as I sit, very much alive, and VERY grateful, at my computer desk. Statistics are just that… each person is individual. It is VERY encouraging to me to hear from others who have walked the road a lengthy time, so that is why I am posting this here for you today. Pretty sure my Drs at that point back in 2005 wouldn't have given much hope for me sitting here this morning all these years later. Take heart and hope in this as well as in the many many hopeful stories you will find here among this group of people. Where are you going for treatments?

Tina

mark d
              Participant
                Thank you for you story.. I am glad to hear of a positive outcome. I know this isn’t a death warrant but a wake up call for me.. I am 41 now and plan on making at least 90s lol..
                mark d
                Participant
                  Thank you for you story.. I am glad to hear of a positive outcome. I know this isn’t a death warrant but a wake up call for me.. I am 41 now and plan on making at least 90s lol..
                  mark d
                  Participant
                  Tina D
                  Participant

Greetings Mark,

Tina

awillett1991
                    Participant
                      Mark, I was in your shoes 3 years ago and I am still here, still fighting, just spent 3 days/nights at an intense church workshop, camping like a 10 yr old. I do my best to love God and my family every day. You can check my profile for the medical stuff.

Look for an older post by Charlie S – roll call for the undead. So many exciting advances and clinical trials for new drugs are around right now. I don’t believe in numbers and statistics, nor do I look at my scans unless I have to. I do ask lots of (probably) annoying questions, try to find the best drs, and research when I can. Be your own advocate!

Educate yourself and don’t let worry and fear steal your good days!

Best of luck,
                      Amy

awillett1991
                      Participant
                        Mark, I was in your shoes 3 years ago and I am still here, still fighting, just spent 3 days/nights at an intense church workshop, camping like a 10 yr old. I do my best to love God and my family every day. You can check my profile for the medical stuff.

Look for an older post by Charlie S – roll call for the undead. So many exciting advances and clinical trials for new drugs are around right now. I don’t believe in numbers and statistics, nor do I look at my scans unless I have to. I do ask lots of (probably) annoying questions, try to find the best drs, and research when I can. Be your own advocate!

Best of luck,
                        Amy

awillett1991
                        Participant

Best of luck,
                          Amy

madeclaire
                          Participant

Hi Mark,  So sorry you have to deal with this.  I have lived with a rare form of melanoma which presented in the mucosa of my nose ten years ago.  After surgery I was 5 years ned but t came back, several surgeries, radiation to my face and as of last August mets to the liver stage 4.  You can check my profile for more detail. I am now trying to beat it back from my liver first with IPI and now Dacarbazine.  with good results.  Had to suspend chemo to treat a problem spot with radiation on my spine.  There are a lot of new treatments being rushed to trial and I hope to try an anti PD 1 trial post chemo.  My advice is to keep several lines of research going at all times to stay on top of the latest treatments.  I've heard good things about the NIH in Bethesda and of course MD Anderson.  My instinct is that the more you are willing and able to travel the better your options.  A good team of advocates can't hurt and this site is a great resource.  Best of luck

madeclaire
                            Participant

Hi Mark,  So sorry you have to deal with this.  I have lived with a rare form of melanoma which presented in the mucosa of my nose ten years ago.  After surgery I was 5 years ned but t came back, several surgeries, radiation to my face and as of last August mets to the liver stage 4.  You can check my profile for more detail. I am now trying to beat it back from my liver first with IPI and now Dacarbazine.  with good results.  Had to suspend chemo to treat a problem spot with radiation on my spine.  There are a lot of new treatments being rushed to trial and I hope to try an anti PD 1 trial post chemo.  My advice is to keep several lines of research going at all times to stay on top of the latest treatments.  I've heard good things about the NIH in Bethesda and of course MD Anderson.  My instinct is that the more you are willing and able to travel the better your options.  A good team of advocates can't hurt and this site is a great resource.  Best of luck

madeclaire
                              Participant

Cynthia C
                                Participant

Hi Mark,

I had a 3.1 mm lesion (lower leg)  and 2 positive lymph nodes. I did not tolerate treatment well and had only 8 doses of interferon. That was in 2001. I am now 12 years NED. I am sending good thoughts your way.

Cynthia C from Colorado

Cynthia C
                                  Participant

Hi Mark,

I had a 3.1 mm lesion (lower leg)  and 2 positive lymph nodes. I did not tolerate treatment well and had only 8 doses of interferon. That was in 2001. I am now 12 years NED. I am sending good thoughts your way.

Cynthia C from Colorado

democat
                                      Participant

Whenever I start getting down, I read stories like yours and they give me hope.

Thank you for posting,

Roxanne

democat
                                        Participant

Thank you for posting,

Roxanne

democat
                                          Participant

Thank you for posting,

Roxanne

Cynthia C
                                          Participant

Hi Mark,

Cynthia C from Colorado

washoegal
                                            Participant

Mark,

Almost..(April Scans will make it official!) at the 3 year NED mark.  Stage 3a.  3.0 mm tumor, 2 nodes positive with micro metatisis, CLND.  No other treatment done. 

Take care of yourself. 

Mary

washoegal
                                              Participant

Mark,

Almost..(April Scans will make it official!) at the 3 year NED mark.  Stage 3a.  3.0 mm tumor, 2 nodes positive with micro metatisis, CLND.  No other treatment done. 

Take care of yourself. 

Mary

washoegal
                                                Participant

Mark,

Take care of yourself. 

Mary

CherylL
                                                  Participant

Long, long story abbrieviated:

2005-Beloved husband diagnosed, Stage 2a. Clean WLE-SNB. Vigilant scans.

2009-Beloved husband feels a lump. Radical neck dissection. Tumors removed. Multiple positive nodes. Stage 3c.

2010 (two months later)-Pre-radiation scans reveal two new tumors. Surgical removal. More positive notes. Stage 3c.

2010: Radiation. Clinical trial. Vigilant scans.

2012: Very small spots in lungs we'd been monitoring showed sudden, small growth. Biopsy reveals melanoma. Stage 4.

May 2012: Cycle of IL-2 at the amazing UVA with the amazing Dr. Grosh. 15 doses. Post cycle scans show response, smaller tumors.

August 2012: Cycle 2 of IL-2 at the amazing UVA with the amazing Dr. Grosh. 12 doses. Post cycle scans show stability.

December 2012: PET scan reveals the numerous lung tumors have NO ACTIVE MELANOMA. No new "hot" spots any where. NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE!

February 2013: Full body MRI. No new spots. No growth in known spots. NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE.

NEVER EVER, EVER GIVE UP!

We just took our 11-year-old twins (who were FOUR at Daddy's initial diagnosis) to Disney World last week. πŸ™‚

KEEP FIGHTING. KEEP SEEKING OUT TREATMENTS and HAVE BACK-UPS at the ready! Know that many are lifting all on this board up daily. πŸ™‚

CherylL
                                                    Wife of Stage 4 Melanoma Masher, Scott.

CherylL
                                                    Participant

2009-Beloved husband feels a lump. Radical neck dissection. Tumors removed. Multiple positive nodes. Stage 3c.

2010 (two months later)-Pre-radiation scans reveal two new tumors. Surgical removal. More positive notes. Stage 3c.

2012: Very small spots in lungs we'd been monitoring showed sudden, small growth. Biopsy reveals melanoma. Stage 4.

May 2012: Cycle of IL-2 at the amazing UVA with the amazing Dr. Grosh. 15 doses. Post cycle scans show response, smaller tumors.

August 2012: Cycle 2 of IL-2 at the amazing UVA with the amazing Dr. Grosh. 12 doses. Post cycle scans show stability.

December 2012: PET scan reveals the numerous lung tumors have NO ACTIVE MELANOMA. No new "hot" spots any where. NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE!

February 2013: Full body MRI. No new spots. No growth in known spots. NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE.

We just took our 11-year-old twins (who were FOUR at Daddy's initial diagnosis) to Disney World last week. πŸ™‚

KEEP FIGHTING. KEEP SEEKING OUT TREATMENTS and HAVE BACK-UPS at the ready! Know that many are lifting all on this board up daily. πŸ™‚

CherylL

democat
                                                        Participant

Thank you CherylL!

I agree – you have to keep fighting and never give up!  I've completely changed my diet, started exercising, work hard at staying positive, etc., because I think it helps and I want to be as healthy and strong as possible for whatever treatments may be ahead of me.  The statistics are so scary, but I think the most important thing is to keep fighting.  

Roxanne

democat
                                                          Participant

Thank you CherylL!

I agree – you have to keep fighting and never give up!  I've completely changed my diet, started exercising, work hard at staying positive, etc., because I think it helps and I want to be as healthy and strong as possible for whatever treatments may be ahead of me.  The statistics are so scary, but I think the most important thing is to keep fighting.  

Roxanne

democat
                                                            Participant

Thank you CherylL!

Roxanne

CherylL
                                                            Participant

CherylL

Kim K
                                                              Participant

Stage IIA – 2002

Stage IV – 2009.  VATS and High dose IL-2, NED since July 2010.  My oncologist is much more confident I will die from other causes than mel.

You can read my profile.

Kim K
                                                                Participant

Stage IIA – 2002

Stage IV – 2009.  VATS and High dose IL-2, NED since July 2010.  My oncologist is much more confident I will die from other causes than mel.

You can read my profile.

Kim K
                                                                  Participant

Stage IIA – 2002

You can read my profile.

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics