The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

horrible news, failing BRAF

Forums General Melanoma Community horrible news, failing BRAF

Participant

Hi y'all,

After 3 months, I'm failing BRAF. Lung refilled and had to be drained this past Monday, terrible arthritis in my right wrist kept me awake Sunday into Monday.

Dr. Peri is coordinating with Dr. Sharfman at Johns Hopkins. They are going to have me change my dose: high a.m., lower p.m. + low dose steroids for the pain in the joints.

I go back on 12/1 (if not sooner if lung re-fills, it could happen). Will have more info and another "plan" to move on, and get this damn melanoma out of my life.

Hi y'all,

After 3 months, I'm failing BRAF. Lung refilled and had to be drained this past Monday, terrible arthritis in my right wrist kept me awake Sunday into Monday.

Dr. Peri is coordinating with Dr. Sharfman at Johns Hopkins. They are going to have me change my dose: high a.m., lower p.m. + low dose steroids for the pain in the joints.

I go back on 12/1 (if not sooner if lung re-fills, it could happen). Will have more info and another "plan" to move on, and get this damn melanoma out of my life.

I'm normally upbeat, but just feel totally flattened right now. There are so many who are in so much worse shape (I'm still working full time, and feel pretty good, actually), but today is my pity party.

TracyLee Stage IV

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        mombase
        Participant

Tracy, I am sorry to hear your news. Hopefully the new dosing regimen will get your lungs and joint pains under control! It definitely sounds like Dr. Peri is on top of your case, which is a very good thing! As for your pity party, enjoy it!! I'm thinking you are not going to be in the middle of it for too long…wink

mombase
          Participant

Tracy, I am sorry to hear your news. Hopefully the new dosing regimen will get your lungs and joint pains under control! It definitely sounds like Dr. Peri is on top of your case, which is a very good thing! As for your pity party, enjoy it!! I'm thinking you are not going to be in the middle of it for too long…wink

mombase
            Participant

lhaley
              Participant

TraceLee,

I hate hearing your news.  Take a day or two to give in to the pity party and then get up and start fighting again!   There will be the right treatment for you.

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

TraceLee,

I hate hearing your news.  Take a day or two to give in to the pity party and then get up and start fighting again!   There will be the right treatment for you.

Linda

lhaley
                  Participant

TraceLee,

Linda

vivian
                    Participant

TracyLee,

After the fight you have put up so far, you deserve a pity party for this latest development!  However, I think stupid melanoma has just momentarily forgotten who it's dealing with here.   I know that between your great doctors and your strong fighting spirit, you will be back in front of it soon!   I am sending you light and love from north of the canal.

Lear

vivian
                      Participant

TracyLee,

After the fight you have put up so far, you deserve a pity party for this latest development!  However, I think stupid melanoma has just momentarily forgotten who it's dealing with here.   I know that between your great doctors and your strong fighting spirit, you will be back in front of it soon!   I am sending you light and love from north of the canal.

Lear

vivian
                        Participant

TracyLee,

Lear

Laurie from maine
                            Participant

you certainly are allowed a pity party, stinks to be in pain.   It sounds like you have good doctors and  they have revised your plan of attack!!    Keep us posted!!

laurie from maine 

Laurie from maine
                              Participant

you certainly are allowed a pity party, stinks to be in pain.   It sounds like you have good doctors and  they have revised your plan of attack!!    Keep us posted!!

laurie from maine 

Laurie from maine
                                Participant

laurie from maine 

FormerCaregiver
                                Participant

TracyLee, I am saddened to read of this setback. However, you are not failing anything
                                  as far I am concerned. BRAF inhibitors are very new drugs, and there is a lot that
                                  researchers need to learn in order to make them fully effective. Therefore, it is the
                                  treatment that is the problem and not you.

You may have seen the following abstract: "Vemurafenib (PLX4032) promotes epigenetic
                                  changes in melanoma cells leading to development of more invasive metastatic disease".
                                  (See: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1755-148X.2011.00909.x/full)

Unfortunately, I feel that changing the dose may not work as it looks like melanoma has
                                  found ways to bypass the effects of the BRAF inhibitor that you are on at the moment.
                                  Therefore, I think that it would be wise to look at a different treatment approach such
                                  as IL-2, an anti PD-1 (MDX-1106) clinical trial or TIL treatment (adoptive cell
                                  therapy).

Hope this helps. You remain in my prayers

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                  Participant

TracyLee, I am saddened to read of this setback. However, you are not failing anything
                                    as far I am concerned. BRAF inhibitors are very new drugs, and there is a lot that
                                    researchers need to learn in order to make them fully effective. Therefore, it is the

You may have seen the following abstract: "Vemurafenib (PLX4032) promotes epigenetic
                                    changes in melanoma cells leading to development of more invasive metastatic disease".

Unfortunately, I feel that changing the dose may not work as it looks like melanoma has
                                    found ways to bypass the effects of the BRAF inhibitor that you are on at the moment.
                                    Therefore, I think that it would be wise to look at a different treatment approach such
                                    therapy).

Frank from Australia

Vermont_Donna
                                      Participant

Dear TracyLee,

I am so sorry to hear this news! I am thinking of you and hope there is a new plan in place SOON!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a, NED

Vermont_Donna
                                        Participant

Dear TracyLee,

I am so sorry to hear this news! I am thinking of you and hope there is a new plan in place SOON!

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna
                                          Participant

Dear TracyLee,

Hugs,

boot2aboot
                                            Participant

Jeez, Tracy…this totally sucks…i am so sorry and concerned for you…here is an idea…ask doc to retest for mutations…and try to find another targeted therapy…we know it works for you…maybe a mek inhibitor, but get retested…i can't remember but i think ipi worked for awhile too? so another option is a trial with blanket therapy like anti pd 1?

bad news tracy, so sorry…hoped it would work long enough to jump on other definite promising drug…

i hate melanoma

boots

boot2aboot
                                              Participant

Jeez, Tracy…this totally sucks…i am so sorry and concerned for you…here is an idea…ask doc to retest for mutations…and try to find another targeted therapy…we know it works for you…maybe a mek inhibitor, but get retested…i can't remember but i think ipi worked for awhile too? so another option is a trial with blanket therapy like anti pd 1?

bad news tracy, so sorry…hoped it would work long enough to jump on other definite promising drug…

i hate melanoma

boots

boot2aboot
                                                Participant

i hate melanoma

boots

MichaelFL
                                                  Participant

What about you boots? Have not heard from you in a while? How you doin??

boot2aboot
                                                    Participant

still on zelboraf…50 percent reduction in tumors after two months…even on reduced dose…next scans in december…taking a ridiculously low dose which scares me, but i had very severe side effects with it (bedridden)….enough to get booted off for two weeks then restart…feel like i am playing with fire…i do have cyp enzyme mutations so a lot of drugs i take are halved dosages…zelboraf so new, they don't even know correct dosages-especially for cyp people…i was told some people can take a bottle full and not have enough in their blood serum, while other people can take low doses but have high blood serums…if  zelboraf fails, i have several options…increase dosage with help of steroids, get on a clinical trial, take yervoy…i would do nothing until i saw jeff weber at moffitt first…but eyeing the braf-mek trial as a very promising treatment after zelboraf…tried to get on this trial last summer but, had difficulty finding one up and running in my area, so went zelboraf because i did not have time on my side.

thanks for asking

boots

boot2aboot
                                                      Participant

still on zelboraf…50 percent reduction in tumors after two months…even on reduced dose…next scans in december…taking a ridiculously low dose which scares me, but i had very severe side effects with it (bedridden)….enough to get booted off for two weeks then restart…feel like i am playing with fire…i do have cyp enzyme mutations so a lot of drugs i take are halved dosages…zelboraf so new, they don't even know correct dosages-especially for cyp people…i was told some people can take a bottle full and not have enough in their blood serum, while other people can take low doses but have high blood serums…if  zelboraf fails, i have several options…increase dosage with help of steroids, get on a clinical trial, take yervoy…i would do nothing until i saw jeff weber at moffitt first…but eyeing the braf-mek trial as a very promising treatment after zelboraf…tried to get on this trial last summer but, had difficulty finding one up and running in my area, so went zelboraf because i did not have time on my side.

thanks for asking

boots

boot2aboot
                                                        Participant

thanks for asking

boots

MichaelFL
                                                          Participant

MichaelFL
                                                            Participant

FormerCaregiver
                                                            Participant

therapy).

Frank from Australia

patinkerbell2011
                                                              Participant

Tracy….I was very surprised when I read your above post and saw that you are being followed by Dr. Sharfman! SO AM I!!!!! He saved my life and I owe everything I am to him!!! I swear he is the best and if it weren't for him….I wouldn't be here today : (  Unfortunately, my story is one of some similarity to yours as I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma at the young age of 23 single mom of a daugter who was 3 and son 8. My initial site was my right lung and had to have the bottom 2 lobes removed. They never discovered a skin site? Oh well, doesn't matter now huh? LOL

Well, I went into remission for 6 years after I had 1 foot of my small intestine (Oct. 2005) but unfortunately, last Tuesday I was made aare that my cancer had returned throughout my entire chest and about fell over!!!!! I immediately called Dr. Sharfman's office and scheduled a PET/CT scan for tomorrow and an appt. with Dr. Sharfman the following day,Wed., to go over the results of the PET/CT. I kno that I am going to have to undergo some sorta treatment as I am not in favor of the old "watch and wait" method.

Dr. Sharfman utilized Interleuken 2 as my method of killing the cancer initially and said that if anything ever decided to return, he would definately use that method of ridding my body of this horrid stuff!!! I hope that we can keep in touch and good luck to all of your future endeavors!

Sincerely,

PaTinkerbell

patinkerbell2011
                                                                Participant

Tracy….I was very surprised when I read your above post and saw that you are being followed by Dr. Sharfman! SO AM I!!!!! He saved my life and I owe everything I am to him!!! I swear he is the best and if it weren't for him….I wouldn't be here today : (  Unfortunately, my story is one of some similarity to yours as I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma at the young age of 23 single mom of a daugter who was 3 and son 8. My initial site was my right lung and had to have the bottom 2 lobes removed. They never discovered a skin site? Oh well, doesn't matter now huh? LOL

Well, I went into remission for 6 years after I had 1 foot of my small intestine (Oct. 2005) but unfortunately, last Tuesday I was made aare that my cancer had returned throughout my entire chest and about fell over!!!!! I immediately called Dr. Sharfman's office and scheduled a PET/CT scan for tomorrow and an appt. with Dr. Sharfman the following day,Wed., to go over the results of the PET/CT. I kno that I am going to have to undergo some sorta treatment as I am not in favor of the old "watch and wait" method.

Dr. Sharfman utilized Interleuken 2 as my method of killing the cancer initially and said that if anything ever decided to return, he would definately use that method of ridding my body of this horrid stuff!!! I hope that we can keep in touch and good luck to all of your future endeavors!

Sincerely,

PaTinkerbell

patinkerbell2011
                                                                  Participant

Sincerely,

PaTinkerbell

patinkerbell2011
                                                                    Participant

Tracy….I was very surprised when I read your above post and saw that you are being followed by Dr. Sharfman! SO AM I!!!!! He saved my life and I owe everything I am to him!!! I swear he is the best and if it weren't for him….I wouldn’t be here today : (  Unfortunately, my story is one of some similarity to yours as I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma at the young age of 23 single mom of a daugter who was 3 and son 8. My initial site was my right lung and had to have the bottom 2 lobes removed. They never discovered a skin site? Oh well, doesn't matter now huh? LOL

Sincerely,

PaTinkerbell

patinkerbell2011
                                                                      Participant

Tracy….I was very surprised when I read your above post and saw that you are being followed by Dr. Sharfman! SO AM I!!!!! He saved my life and I owe everything I am to him!!! I swear he is the best and if it weren't for him….I wouldn’t be here today : (  Unfortunately, my story is one of some similarity to yours as I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma at the young age of 23 single mom of a daugter who was 3 and son 8. My initial site was my right lung and had to have the bottom 2 lobes removed. They never discovered a skin site? Oh well, doesn't matter now huh? LOL

Sincerely,

PaTinkerbell

NYKaren
                                                                          Participant

Dear TracyLee,

I'm really sorry to hear your news, and I pray that things will turn around for you.

Sorry I just saw this…I haven't been on line for awhile.  I wish I could think of more to so say, but please know that you are in my thoughts all the time.  We've got to kick this beast's a**!

xoxo,

karen

NYKaren
                                                                            Participant

Dear TracyLee,

I'm really sorry to hear your news, and I pray that things will turn around for you.

Sorry I just saw this…I haven't been on line for awhile.  I wish I could think of more to so say, but please know that you are in my thoughts all the time.  We've got to kick this beast's a**!

xoxo,

karen

NYKaren
                                                                              Participant

Dear TracyLee,

xoxo,

karen

patinkerbell2011
                                                                              Participant

Sincerely,

PaTinkerbell

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics