The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hope in new treatment

Forums General Melanoma Community Hope in new treatment

• Replies
      nicoli
      Participant

Hi, Gail. Thanks for posting this.

I must admit that I don't do research but read the research posted on this board.

I think it's a form of denial. Oh, well, whatever works.

Nicki,Stage 3b

boot2aboot
          Participant

vemurafenib is welcome news for those with certain genetic characteristics of the type of melanoma invading thier bodies…i think doctors should automatically genetically test tumors whether one is in stage 2,3, or 4…target therapies are the way to go…and certain combos seems to work the best as this stupid cancer rapidly mutates….it's good these guys are trying to find the dart board we are throwing darts at…

i imagine there will be hundreds of melanoma types and once they know how the cancer works, it is easy to stop either angiogenisis, apopotosis, cytokine inflammations and RNA screw-ups…i hope i am around long enough to take advantage of new breakthroughs…

boot2aboot
            Participant

vemurafenib is welcome news for those with certain genetic characteristics of the type of melanoma invading thier bodies…i think doctors should automatically genetically test tumors whether one is in stage 2,3, or 4…target therapies are the way to go…and certain combos seems to work the best as this stupid cancer rapidly mutates….it's good these guys are trying to find the dart board we are throwing darts at…

i imagine there will be hundreds of melanoma types and once they know how the cancer works, it is easy to stop either angiogenisis, apopotosis, cytokine inflammations and RNA screw-ups…i hope i am around long enough to take advantage of new breakthroughs…

nicoli
            Participant

Hi, Gail. Thanks for posting this.

I must admit that I don't do research but read the research posted on this board.

I think it's a form of denial. Oh, well, whatever works.

Nicki,Stage 3b

Linny
              Participant

To me, this is really encouraging for those with advanced melanoma:

"The patients took either the standard chemotherapy drug dacarbazine or the new drug. After three months, the effectiveness was so stark that the study was stopped so those getting standard chemotherapy could switch."

Lisa13
                  Participant

I'm so happy for all the people who will benefit from this wonderful drug as well as PLX-4032 (BRAF). My tumour unfortunately tested negative for this mutation so I'm out of luck. I'm a bit bummed that they're finding all these wonderful drugs for BRAF mutations because it makes me wonder if they'll come up with something wonderful for the rest of us.   I do feel strongly that they're coming close to finding the best combo that will help so many of us.

Lisa

Lisa13
                    Participant

I'm so happy for all the people who will benefit from this wonderful drug as well as PLX-4032 (BRAF). My tumour unfortunately tested negative for this mutation so I'm out of luck. I'm a bit bummed that they're finding all these wonderful drugs for BRAF mutations because it makes me wonder if they'll come up with something wonderful for the rest of us.   I do feel strongly that they're coming close to finding the best combo that will help so many of us.

Lisa

Linny
                    Participant

To me, this is really encouraging for those with advanced melanoma:

"The patients took either the standard chemotherapy drug dacarbazine or the new drug. After three months, the effectiveness was so stark that the study was stopped so those getting standard chemotherapy could switch."

KellieSue
                      Participant

This is awesome news. I watched the CBS evening news segments tonight.

I'm currently on B-RAF clinical trial.  Since I tested positive for that does that mean I'm positive for being able to take vemurafenib when it becomes available? Or is it completely separate?

I'm always so confused about genetic mutations and certain genes concerning my melanoma.

Kellie(from Iowa) Stage IV on B-RAF

EmilyandMike
                          Participant

Kellie – Just to clarify:  vemurafenib – aka BRAF or PLX4032 is the same drug from the company Plexxikon.  We are seeing all of this news this week (but most of us already know all about these drugs) due to the ASCO conference.  The drug companies rename their drugs when they emerge from clinical trials – like Ipilumamab (Yervoy) and Vemurafenib (the new name for the BRAF drug).  It is confusing!

You can see all of the melanoma research abstracts from the conference here: 

http://abstract.asco.org/CatAbstView_102_121_AA.html 

Best,

Emily

EmilyandMike
                            Participant

Kellie – Just to clarify:  vemurafenib – aka BRAF or PLX4032 is the same drug from the company Plexxikon.  We are seeing all of this news this week (but most of us already know all about these drugs) due to the ASCO conference.  The drug companies rename their drugs when they emerge from clinical trials – like Ipilumamab (Yervoy) and Vemurafenib (the new name for the BRAF drug).  It is confusing!

You can see all of the melanoma research abstracts from the conference here: 

http://abstract.asco.org/CatAbstView_102_121_AA.html 

Best,

Emily

KellieSue
                            Participant

This is awesome news. I watched the CBS evening news segments tonight.

I'm currently on B-RAF clinical trial.  Since I tested positive for that does that mean I'm positive for being able to take vemurafenib when it becomes available? Or is it completely separate?

I'm always so confused about genetic mutations and certain genes concerning my melanoma.

Kellie(from Iowa) Stage IV on B-RAF

Viewing 5 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics