The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

HOME!

Participant
      After an apple sized tumor removed and a full foot of small intestine removed, Kevin is home! Not only home, but home and NED! The doctor removed the tumor and there were no others to be found! I am a happy camper right now! Time to recover at home and start the ‘watch, wait and scan’ phase of life. Words cannot describe how grateful I am to all of you for your thoughts, prayers and words of encouragement.
    Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Kevin is home!! Hooray, hooray!! I hope he is resting comfortably and recovering quickly. 

I'm amazed that the tumor was the size of an apple! Didn't you say that the original CT scans only noted a "thickening" of the intestinal wall? If that is true, it supports what others have reported– CT scans aren't really good at finding mets in or near the intestines. I assume that's because the intestines don't stay still; they move continually. Does anyone know of a better imaging technique for finding intestinal mets than CT scans?

POW
          Participant

Kevin is home!! Hooray, hooray!! I hope he is resting comfortably and recovering quickly. 

I'm amazed that the tumor was the size of an apple! Didn't you say that the original CT scans only noted a "thickening" of the intestinal wall? If that is true, it supports what others have reported– CT scans aren't really good at finding mets in or near the intestines. I assume that's because the intestines don't stay still; they move continually. Does anyone know of a better imaging technique for finding intestinal mets than CT scans?

mwcollins
              Participant
                The CT scan did say “thickening” suggesting a possible met. . . I’m so glad we got the PET follow up! That gave us an idea of how big it might be, but I still never expected it to be THAT big! I’m just so glad it is gone!
                POW
                Participant

Thanks, Megan. I realize that different types of scans are good for different situations. Now I know that PET scans can find tumors around the intestines better than can CT scans. Good to know.

POW
                  Participant

Thanks, Megan. I realize that different types of scans are good for different situations. Now I know that PET scans can find tumors around the intestines better than can CT scans. Good to know.

POW
                    Participant

mwcollins
                      Participant
                        The CT scan did say “thickening” suggesting a possible met. . . I’m so glad we got the PET follow up! That gave us an idea of how big it might be, but I still never expected it to be THAT big! I’m just so glad it is gone!
                        mwcollins
                        Participant
                        POW
                        Participant

Fen
                          Participant

Wonderful news!  Here's hoping recovery is swift and uneventful. thanks for the update.   Fen

Brendan
                              Participant

Great news for Kevin!  Enjoy the NED status and get some rest (both of you!!).

Brendan

Brendan
                                Participant

Brendan

Brendan
                                  Participant

Brendan

Fen
                                  Participant

Wonderful news!  Here's hoping recovery is swift and uneventful. thanks for the update.   Fen

Fen
                                    Participant

tschmith
                                      Participant

Wonderful news!  I agree…now it's time to relax and get some rest.  

Terrie

tschmith
                                        Participant

Terrie

tschmith
                                          Participant

Terrie

Jahendry12
                                            Participant

Great News!!!  Thanks for the update.  Hopefully you can both get some much needed rest.  I'm sure your kids will be helping to take care of their dad ๐Ÿ™‚

Julie

Jahendry12
                                              Participant

Great News!!!  Thanks for the update.  Hopefully you can both get some much needed rest.  I'm sure your kids will be helping to take care of their dad ๐Ÿ™‚

Julie

Maureen038
                                                  Participant

That's such wonderful news!! Thanks for letting us know. 

Maureen 

Maureen038
                                                    Participant

Maureen 

Maureen038
                                                      Participant

Maureen 

Jahendry12
                                                      Participant

Julie

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics