The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Have any of you had Lymphoscintigraphy Injection in the scalp? I’ve heard it’s painful, just wondering how bad it is going to be

Forums General Melanoma Community Have any of you had Lymphoscintigraphy Injection in the scalp? I’ve heard it’s painful, just wondering how bad it is going to be

Participant
      I’ve seen varying accounts that say it’s only bad for 3 seconds or so per injection, to other people saying the burning pain lasts 30+ seconds.

Just wondering about people’s experience on here.

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jdc
        Participant
          Hi Sj, I had the injections in the side of my face and they were very painful. Hopefully the scalp is not as bad, goodluck! Wish you the best
            sj
            Participant
              Thank you Joe! I appreciate it
            Hitchens
            Participant
              I had 4 injections around my primary. I was warned it could hurt. The 1st was barely noticeable. By the 4th there was a definite pain. It lasted very short. On the 10 point scale it was a 6-7.
              I have had broken ribs, crushed toe, ruptured spleen, and nerve damage in neck that were all substantially more painful.

You will be fine just focus on your breathing and the procedure will be over very quickly.

Good luck

Hitchens
                Participant
                  Btw the other issues had nothing to do with my care or treatment
                  sj
                  Participant
                    Thank you Hitchens! Great name by the way. I’m a fan of Christopher Hitchens
                    gopher38
                    Participant
                      So it was just for fun.
                      Hitchens
                      Participant
                        Mostly middle aged Darwinism
                      mandyjill
                      Participant
                        I had 4 injections around my original primary. It seemed each one got a little worse, but it only lasted a few seconds.
                          sj
                          Participant
                            Thank you. That doesn’t seem so bad.
                          maryb-z
                          Participant
                            I’ve had the procedure done twice on my shin. The first time was very painful. When I had recurrence that one they iced the area first. Much more tolerable. Good luck!
                            dessie
                            Participant
                              Yes I have had at least 4-5 injections in my abdomen. Uncomfortable but not unbearable. Good luck!

Dessie

Dwright
                              Participant
                                I had four injections that surrounded my tumor on my back/shoulder blade. I think that part of the body isn’t as sensitive (nerve ending wise), so I found it momentarily uncomfortable (kind of like getting a big shot, or a bee sting), but the pain was gone within 5 seconds. Very best of luck, and just keep telling yourself, “this too shall pass”, and it will eventually.

-Derek

lkb
                                Participant
                                  I had a series of four on my scalp. True, I’d rather be belly dancing. However, like another poster here, I used a breathing technique. Also thought of it as inviting treatment/investigation rather than resisting pain. Hurts, but over quickly. Good luck!
                              Viewing 6 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics