The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Hang onto Hope! Still NED at Stage IV

Forums General Melanoma Community Hang onto Hope! Still NED at Stage IV

Participant

I know we all need to read some good news to balance the bad and sad news that is a reality on MPIP.

I am thrilled to report that I just returned from Moffitt and I remain NED at Stage IV.  My profile is up to date and I'll give a brief summary when I sign off this post.

I know we all need to read some good news to balance the bad and sad news that is a reality on MPIP.

I am thrilled to report that I just returned from Moffitt and I remain NED at Stage IV.  My profile is up to date and I'll give a brief summary when I sign off this post.

Yes, I've had ups and downs like so many of us.  Yes, I have some discomfort from the extensive surgeries.  I have challenges with maintaining my weight.  Right now I have a rib fracture that was diagnosed on the scan.  But I am NED.  I wish there was a secret to share.  I know many of you are deep in battle and have to be so discouraged.

It was 6 years ago yesterday that I had my liver resection…70% of my liver was removed.  I was told at that time that if the surgery was not a success (or any of the very limited treatment options back then) that I had 4-6 months to live.

And I now can go 4 months until my next set of scans.

Thinking of all of you.  If I can help in any way, please email me.  Thank you so much for all the support you've given and knowledge you've shared over the 7 years that I now have been on MPIP.

Stay Strong

King/Kathie

March 2004  Stage III Unknown primary

April 2004 Left groin lymph node dissection…..NED

May 2004-April 2005 Interferon

July 2005 Liver mets (3.3 cm. Grew to 4.5 cm at time of surgery)

September 2005 Liver resection/Gall Bladder removal….NED

December 2005-November 2006  Phase II Clinical Trial of GM-CSF

March 2008  Peri-Pancreatic Tumor; sub q on left hip/buttock

April 2008 Extensive surgery to remove both areas of mets….NED

Viewing 43 reply threads
    • Replies
        momof2kids
        Participant

This is great to hear, I am still so down about being diagnosed directly at Stage IV (Brain, Liver & Lung), and to hear people who keep surviving and are NED is what I hope to become!

I have wondered about surgery to remove spots from my lung & liver (basically 1 spot in each), but I do know that if the surgery didn't work on the liver, I'd be basically destroying my chances, since we can't get transplants.

I'm just so worried about the future (I'm in my 1st treatment Yervoy now), and just hoping it shrinks the few spots I currently have.  Just want years and years to spend with my 2 young kids!

momof2kids
          Participant

This is great to hear, I am still so down about being diagnosed directly at Stage IV (Brain, Liver & Lung), and to hear people who keep surviving and are NED is what I hope to become!

I have wondered about surgery to remove spots from my lung & liver (basically 1 spot in each), but I do know that if the surgery didn't work on the liver, I'd be basically destroying my chances, since we can't get transplants.

I'm just so worried about the future (I'm in my 1st treatment Yervoy now), and just hoping it shrinks the few spots I currently have.  Just want years and years to spend with my 2 young kids!

KevinM
            Participant

Kathie,

WOW….I am thrilled to read such GREAT news!! Made my day! I hope you have a great celebration planned!!! BTW…I hope you didn't hurt your rib jumping off of the Sox bandwagon!!

all my best!

Kevin

KevinM
              Participant

Kathie,

WOW….I am thrilled to read such GREAT news!! Made my day! I hope you have a great celebration planned!!! BTW…I hope you didn't hurt your rib jumping off of the Sox bandwagon!!

all my best!

Kevin

mom3girlsFL
                Participant

Hi Kathie!

I was so excited to read your post!  You are truly amazing!  I remember when I first found this board  and you were one of the names I "followed".  I was, at the time, stage 1 with practically no reason to believe I would be affected by mel ever again.  I stopped visiting, just lurking every now and then.  Today I am back after having found a lump in my groin and several surgeries 2010.  I had a PET last monday and am following up with a CT tomorrow for a spot behind my knee.  Pretty sure it's nothing but better to be safe than sorry with this crazy disease.  I hope to be able to reclaim my NED status by next week.

I also consulted Dr Weber when all this started last year (I am north of Orlando).  He advised me to NOT do interferon and, against his judgement (I have an auto immune disease too and he said interferon would "kill" me – or was it that he said any doc that would put me on interferon should have their head examined…yeah, that was it!), I worked with my current onc to do it.  Of course I had a recurrence and more surgery.  I had been NED since Sept of last year.  A clear CT tomorrow will confirm one year NED.

Anyway, enough of my personal history…I just wanted to say CONGRATS!!!  Lots of scary stuff you've been through on this journey.  You've come a long way!

Smiles,

Laurie

mom3girlsFL
                  Participant

Hi Kathie!

I was so excited to read your post!  You are truly amazing!  I remember when I first found this board  and you were one of the names I "followed".  I was, at the time, stage 1 with practically no reason to believe I would be affected by mel ever again.  I stopped visiting, just lurking every now and then.  Today I am back after having found a lump in my groin and several surgeries 2010.  I had a PET last monday and am following up with a CT tomorrow for a spot behind my knee.  Pretty sure it's nothing but better to be safe than sorry with this crazy disease.  I hope to be able to reclaim my NED status by next week.

I also consulted Dr Weber when all this started last year (I am north of Orlando).  He advised me to NOT do interferon and, against his judgement (I have an auto immune disease too and he said interferon would "kill" me – or was it that he said any doc that would put me on interferon should have their head examined…yeah, that was it!), I worked with my current onc to do it.  Of course I had a recurrence and more surgery.  I had been NED since Sept of last year.  A clear CT tomorrow will confirm one year NED.

Anyway, enough of my personal history…I just wanted to say CONGRATS!!!  Lots of scary stuff you've been through on this journey.  You've come a long way!

Smiles,

Laurie

jax2007gxp
                    Participant

Absolutely awesome!!!  Looking forward to reading you are 4 MORE months NED in four more months!!!  wink

Jacki

jax2007gxp
                      Participant

Absolutely awesome!!!  Looking forward to reading you are 4 MORE months NED in four more months!!!  wink

Jacki

MichaelFL
                        Participant

Has it been 6 years now? Wow!!!!

Seems like it has been that long since I have seen you last , but I know it has been over two years now since we met up at Dean's funeral.

Hope you and the hubby are well, and your NED status continues forever.

Keep it up, Michael

triciad
                            Participant

Michael,

It's wonderful to see you on the board again.  I've missed your excellent advice and encouragement…please stay!!!!!!

Tricia

triciad
                              Participant

Michael,

It's wonderful to see you on the board again.  I've missed your excellent advice and encouragement…please stay!!!!!!

Tricia

MichaelFL
                              Participant

Has it been 6 years now? Wow!!!!

Seems like it has been that long since I have seen you last , but I know it has been over two years now since we met up at Dean's funeral.

Hope you and the hubby are well, and your NED status continues forever.

Keep it up, Michael

JerryfromFauq
                                Participant

Love to hear this.  You help so many and give hope to even so many more!

JerryfromFauq
                                  Participant

Love to hear this.  You help so many and give hope to even so many more!

Gene_S
                                    Participant

That is wonderful news.  Glad to read the good news.

Gene_S
                                      Participant

That is wonderful news.  Glad to read the good news.

lhaley
                                        Participant

Kathie,

YEAH!!!  I'm so happy for you! 

I was in Hendersonville today. Do you still spend time in Ashville?  

Your news is music to all of us.

Linda

lhaley
                                          Participant

Kathie,

YEAH!!!  I'm so happy for you! 

I was in Hendersonville today. Do you still spend time in Ashville?  

Your news is music to all of us.

Linda

triciad
                                            Participant

Kathie,

This is such wonderful news!  I just had my last radiation treatment this morning and I thought I was happy then.  Now…I am elated.  Thank you so much for all of your support and advice over the years.  I wish you many, many more years being NED.  You are a true inspiration to us all.  Go celebrate!

Tricia

P.S.  I used to live in Palm Harbor!

triciad
                                              Participant

Kathie,

This is such wonderful news!  I just had my last radiation treatment this morning and I thought I was happy then.  Now…I am elated.  Thank you so much for all of your support and advice over the years.  I wish you many, many more years being NED.  You are a true inspiration to us all.  Go celebrate!

Tricia

P.S.  I used to live in Palm Harbor!

Janner
                                                Participant

Woohoo, Kathie!  Glad to see you posting.  Miss seeing you in chat, but glad you're doing well!

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                                  Participant

Woohoo, Kathie!  Glad to see you posting.  Miss seeing you in chat, but glad you're doing well!

Best wishes,

Janner

Jim M.
                                                    Participant

Hi Kathie,

I've been thinking about you. This is truly amazing news! It is an honor to know you eventhough it's been some time since I saw you (at Dean's golf tournament). Keep up the NED status for a very long time!

God bless,

Jim M.

Jim M.
                                                      Participant

Hi Kathie,

I've been thinking about you. This is truly amazing news! It is an honor to know you eventhough it's been some time since I saw you (at Dean's golf tournament). Keep up the NED status for a very long time!

God bless,

Jim M.

MaryD
                                                        Participant

You go Kathie – our prayers are answered again!  As always, you are an inspiration to many and I feel so fortunate to know you as a dear friend.

Celebrate!

Mary

MaryD
                                                          Participant

You go Kathie – our prayers are answered again!  As always, you are an inspiration to many and I feel so fortunate to know you as a dear friend.

Celebrate!

Mary

MaryD
                                                            Participant

Celebrate!

Mary

MaryD
                                                              Participant

Celebrate!

Mary

KellieSue
                                                                Participant

Kathie, so glad to hear of your continued NED status!

Such an inspiration for us other Stage IV's to come and read this!

It is possible to defy the odds and live with Stage IV! Awesome!

Kellie(from Iowa) Stage IV, on B-RAF

KellieSue
                                                                  Participant

Kathie, so glad to hear of your continued NED status!

Such an inspiration for us other Stage IV's to come and read this!

It is possible to defy the odds and live with Stage IV! Awesome!

Kellie(from Iowa) Stage IV, on B-RAF

KatyWI
                                                                    Participant

That is….fantabulousic!

Katy

KatyWI
                                                                      Participant

That is….fantabulousic!

Katy

akls
                                                                        Participant

Kathie,

So thrilled to hear this!!!  You are such an inspiration to all of us.  Congratulations!

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                                                                          Participant

Kathie,

So thrilled to hear this!!!  You are such an inspiration to all of us.  Congratulations!

Amy S. in Michigan

JudyinCA
                                                                            Participant

Kathie,

What excellent news!  From your history, you're obviously a trooper.  It just amazes me you warriors keep fighting and have such strength.  Congratulations!

Judy Clifford (caregiver to husband stage IV, NED

JudyinCA
                                                                              Participant

Kathie,

What excellent news!  From your history, you're obviously a trooper.  It just amazes me you warriors keep fighting and have such strength.  Congratulations!

Judy Clifford (caregiver to husband stage IV, NED

Rebecca and Bob
                                                                                Participant

Kathie,

Great news and it gives us such inspiration. We hope to be like you. Celebrate.

Rebecca and Bob

Rebecca and Bob
                                                                                  Participant

Kathie,

Great news and it gives us such inspiration. We hope to be like you. Celebrate.

Rebecca and Bob

Erinmay22
                                                                                      Participant

That's so great to hear!  It's so nice to hear some of the positive stories out there when we are always reminded about the bad news and how horrible this disease can be. 

As someone who's a newbie Stage 4 (but currently NED) person it gives us hope!

Thanks for sharing.

Erin

Erinmay22
                                                                                        Participant

That's so great to hear!  It's so nice to hear some of the positive stories out there when we are always reminded about the bad news and how horrible this disease can be. 

As someone who's a newbie Stage 4 (but currently NED) person it gives us hope!

Thanks for sharing.

Erin

DebbieH
                                                                                        Participant

You are a remarkable woman and I'm so glad I got to meet you and Tim.  May you remain NED forever Kathie and continue to give hope to so many others in here.

Deb

DebbieH
                                                                                          Participant

You are a remarkable woman and I'm so glad I got to meet you and Tim.  May you remain NED forever Kathie and continue to give hope to so many others in here.

Deb

Rocco
                                                                                            Participant

Hi Kathie,

Absolutely thrilled for you!  Such marvelous news. Every 4 months for scans?!?!  That is fantastic!  Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!

-Rocco, IV sinc 2005, Ipi responder

Rocco
                                                                                              Participant

Hi Kathie,

Absolutely thrilled for you!  Such marvelous news. Every 4 months for scans?!?!  That is fantastic!  Celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!

-Rocco, IV sinc 2005, Ipi responder

James from Sydney
                                                                                                Participant

Kathie, great news , you are a inspiration and a beacon for hope to all those battling this disease.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                                                                                                  Participant

Kathie, great news , you are a inspiration and a beacon for hope to all those battling this disease.

best wishes

James

King
                                                                                                      Participant

Thank you all for your comments.  You are the best!  Hoping more and more people have positive responses as treatment options are increasing (but we still have a long way to go)

Stay Strong
                                                                                                        King

King
                                                                                                        Participant

Thank you all for your comments.  You are the best!  Hoping more and more people have positive responses as treatment options are increasing (but we still have a long way to go)

Stay Strong
                                                                                                          King

Bill G
                                                                                                        Participant

Great news, Kathie.  I don't post much any more, so glad I did today to hear the news from another oldtimer on the board.

Bill G
                                                                                                          Participant

Great news, Kathie.  I don't post much any more, so glad I did today to hear the news from another oldtimer on the board.

Viewing 43 reply threads
                                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics