The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Had Gamma Knife Again Yesterday

Forums General Melanoma Community Had Gamma Knife Again Yesterday

Participant

Hi everyone,

So I was on intermittent dosing of Tafinlar and I stupidly didn't start taking it again at the right time. we have no idea if those extra two weeks made some small tumors develop, but they did. 

Ten days later it was back for gamma knife (second time.)  I was the last case of the day and had  17, yup 17 tumors.  The actual gamma knife was two hours. Apparently when they're very small as these were, the  procedure takes a long time.  Thankfully they used anesthesia.  In at 7:00 am, out at 8:00 pm. 

When I had MRI last week, they found my ear is still clear and lymph nodes in my neck were all clear too. I seem to be having a mixed response thing going on.  My blood work is really good too.  Going to onc on 11/19, and neurologist/ onc are tapering my Decadron yet again. Between the depression,the weight and the leg pain, I'm more than ready.   Luckily when my brain started freaking out, I increased the dosage, so I know it was necessary…

I'll report in after my next onc appointment. 

Karen

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        DeniseK
        Participant

Hi Karen,

I saw your reply on my post.  I wonder why they are not wanting to do gamma knife again.  I have a call in with the gamma knife doctor to confirm what my doctor said.  Some of my brain mets are bleeding so maybe that has something to do with it.  I am going to review my MRI this evening to see if it's worse then he's saying.  I don't feel like it, I do have a headache but it's not as bad as I have had them in the past.  I am on dex again 12 mg per day, and I started temodar this evening, I should know if that works within the next week.  So basically he said this is my last option.  I am nowhere near giving up!!  

Hang in there girl!!

All my best 

Denise

DeniseK
          Participant

Hi Karen,

I saw your reply on my post.  I wonder why they are not wanting to do gamma knife again.  I have a call in with the gamma knife doctor to confirm what my doctor said.  Some of my brain mets are bleeding so maybe that has something to do with it.  I am going to review my MRI this evening to see if it's worse then he's saying.  I don't feel like it, I do have a headache but it's not as bad as I have had them in the past.  I am on dex again 12 mg per day, and I started temodar this evening, I should know if that works within the next week.  So basically he said this is my last option.  I am nowhere near giving up!!  

Hang in there girl!!

All my best 

Denise

DeniseK
            Participant

Hi Karen,

Hang in there girl!!

All my best 

Denise

awillett1991
              Participant

Karen,

i was just wondering how you were doing, thanks for posting an update. I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with the brain mets again. I continue to remember you in my prayers. Keep fighting!

Amy

awillett1991
                Participant

Karen,

i was just wondering how you were doing, thanks for posting an update. I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with the brain mets again. I continue to remember you in my prayers. Keep fighting!

Amy

awillett1991
                  Participant

Karen,

Amy

aldakota22
                    Participant

See that nothing comes easy in your fight.You do have some good news with the ear 7 lymph nodes Blood work is all good.Praying for good news after your doctors appointment,. Beat the Beast,     Al

aldakota22
                      Participant

See that nothing comes easy in your fight.You do have some good news with the ear 7 lymph nodes Blood work is all good.Praying for good news after your doctors appointment,. Beat the Beast,     Al

aldakota22
                        Participant

Janet Lee
                          Participant

Karen,

I haven't been on MPIP for awhile, and am trying to catch up. The melanoma roller coaster waits for no one! I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. I wish I had more to offer than positive thoughts and prayers being sent your way. Good luck. Keep on believin….

Janet Lee

Janet Lee
                            Participant

Karen,

I haven't been on MPIP for awhile, and am trying to catch up. The melanoma roller coaster waits for no one! I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. I wish I had more to offer than positive thoughts and prayers being sent your way. Good luck. Keep on believin….

Janet Lee

Janet Lee
                              Participant

Karen,

Janet Lee

ncdaniel
                                Participant

Karen, so sorry to hear your dealing with brain mets. My wife went through this in September 7 brain mets had gamma knife and then doctor there recommended WBR which she started in September and now no brain mets and she is going for TIL next week.  I always think about you and the great advice you gave after her bad reaction toy ergot. She had two doses of remicade but got straightened out. I contiue to wish you the best. Have you considered WBR.

Daniel

ncdaniel
                                  Participant

Karen, so sorry to hear your dealing with brain mets. My wife went through this in September 7 brain mets had gamma knife and then doctor there recommended WBR which she started in September and now no brain mets and she is going for TIL next week.  I always think about you and the great advice you gave after her bad reaction toy ergot. She had two doses of remicade but got straightened out. I contiue to wish you the best. Have you considered WBR.

Daniel

ncdaniel
                                    Participant

Daniel

ncdaniel
                                      Participant

Daniel

ncdaniel
                                        Participant

Daniel

cep3700
                                            Participant

Hi, This sounds very similar to what my mother is going through, what is WBR?

Thanks, 

Colleen

cep3700
                                              Participant

Thanks, 

Colleen

cep3700
                                                Participant

Thanks, 

Colleen

ncdaniel
                                                Participant

Daniel

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics