The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Great news, but follow up question

Forums General Melanoma Community Great news, but follow up question

Participant
      First the AWESOME news. Kevin’s scans were clear today!!! This is his first round of scans after the small bowel resection in February where they removed an apple sized tumor, a foot of intestine and 20 lymph nodes (only 1 being positive for melanoma). My question for all you scholars out there is the doctor said his next scan will be in 6 months because of insurance coverage. I know Kevin is very happy to avoid being injected with radioactive isotopes, but knowing that melanoma doesn’t ‘play’ by any rules, I’m thinking 6 months is too long to wait. What are your thoughts? Am I being overprotective or is this the right course of action? Thanks in advance!!!
    Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        kpcollins31
        Participant

Note that the comment from my oncologist was that without any evidence of active disease, insurance companies will only support scans every 6 months. If you have active disease, the frequency of scans can be higher. In my case, I will go back in 6 months and have a full body PET/CT and a brain MRI.

Kevin

kpcollins31
          Participant

Note that the comment from my oncologist was that without any evidence of active disease, insurance companies will only support scans every 6 months. If you have active disease, the frequency of scans can be higher. In my case, I will go back in 6 months and have a full body PET/CT and a brain MRI.

Kevin

kpcollins31
            Participant

Kevin

Bubbles
              Participant

Hey guys,

Congratulations on clear scans!  That's wonderful news.  I hate scans myself having had them every three months, if not more often, for many years!!! However, the generally accepted recommendation for scaning after a metastatic tumor, even when the patient is rendered NED after surgical removal, is every 3 months for at least one year.  Some folks pretty dear to me over the years decided they were just going to live their lives and not worry about scanning at all, and unfortunately were caught in things that had gone too far for treatment by the time they showed up.  It is all a bit of a crap shoot, and everyone has to make the best choices they can live with.  But, if this is just a question of insurance coverage….I think the every 3 month scanning schedule has been adopted as standard of care in this instance and your doctor can certainly petition for it if necessary.  Wishing you my best.  Celeste

Bubbles
                Participant

Hey guys,

Congratulations on clear scans!  That's wonderful news.  I hate scans myself having had them every three months, if not more often, for many years!!! However, the generally accepted recommendation for scaning after a metastatic tumor, even when the patient is rendered NED after surgical removal, is every 3 months for at least one year.  Some folks pretty dear to me over the years decided they were just going to live their lives and not worry about scanning at all, and unfortunately were caught in things that had gone too far for treatment by the time they showed up.  It is all a bit of a crap shoot, and everyone has to make the best choices they can live with.  But, if this is just a question of insurance coverage….I think the every 3 month scanning schedule has been adopted as standard of care in this instance and your doctor can certainly petition for it if necessary.  Wishing you my best.  Celeste

Bubbles
                  Participant

Hey guys,

Tina D
                    Participant

That is such great and welcomed news!! YAY!!

If it were me, I would not want to wait six months.. but would think that three would be better. Would def try to fight for insurance approval. Otherwise, as the time draws closer, if there is any discomfort from the previous surgical procedure that could possibly be deemed as reason enough…just to verify. There is usually some level of aches and pains due to scar tissue/adhesions after such a surgery, and I find it hard to believe that the insurance company could deny one under those circumstances with his history. Just a thought.

Again, congrats on this good news! I am sure it has been a challenging couple of months!!

Tina

Tina D
                      Participant

If it were me, I would not want to wait six months.. but would think that three would be better. Would def try to fight for insurance approval. Otherwise, as the time draws closer, if there is any discomfort from the previous surgical procedure that could possibly be deemed as reason enough…just to verify. There is usually some level of aches and pains due to scar tissue/adhesions after such a surgery, and I find it hard to believe that the insurance company could deny one under those circumstances with his history. Just a thought.

Again, congrats on this good news! I am sure it has been a challenging couple of months!!

Tina

Tina D
                        Participant

Tina

hbecker
                          Participant

Here's some of what I posted on my blog today:

Within the three to 12 month range the guidelines allow, how do you decide how often to scan? You look at the extremes. The most frequent extreme would call for scans every week or two, but this would be too much because the change you see from one week to the next would be negligible. That means it would be too much exposure to radiation. One month doesn’t give enough time for something to change either. Could you do it every two months? Again, probably not; eight weeks isn’t that much time unless you’re looking at something very specific and want to know whether this particular spot has changed.

At the other extreme, is a year too long? Probably so, because if something is starting to grow you want to know about it sooner. Even nine months is “probably an uncomfortable period of time.” In our case, four to six months is the range Dr. Lipson is comfortable with.

Another factor is how closely the patient is being followed with skin and physical exams. Since Robert sees the dermatologist every three months for a thorough skin exam, including destruction and removal of suspicious spots and biopsies when appropriate, and sees Dr. Lipson every four months for physical exams, including lymph node palpation, a six-month schedule seems reasonable to him.

Then, the clinch factor is considered (at least by this doctor) – the patient’s comfort level. Since the national guidelines leave it pretty open, he said, “if … you’re really not comfortable with six months, then let’s do it every four months – that’s certainly within the guidelines. It’s an extra exposure to radiation every year, that’s all.”

I hope that helps …

Hazel

hbecker
                            Participant

Within the three to 12 month range the guidelines allow, how do you decide how often to scan? You look at the extremes. The most frequent extreme would call for scans every week or two, but this would be too much because the change you see from one week to the next would be negligible. That means it would be too much exposure to radiation. One month doesn’t give enough time for something to change either. Could you do it every two months? Again, probably not; eight weeks isn’t that much time unless you’re looking at something very specific and want to know whether this particular spot has changed.

At the other extreme, is a year too long? Probably so, because if something is starting to grow you want to know about it sooner. Even nine months is “probably an uncomfortable period of time.” In our case, four to six months is the range Dr. Lipson is comfortable with.

Another factor is how closely the patient is being followed with skin and physical exams. Since Robert sees the dermatologist every three months for a thorough skin exam, including destruction and removal of suspicious spots and biopsies when appropriate, and sees Dr. Lipson every four months for physical exams, including lymph node palpation, a six-month schedule seems reasonable to him.

Then, the clinch factor is considered (at least by this doctor) – the patient’s comfort level. Since the national guidelines leave it pretty open, he said, “if … you’re really not comfortable with six months, then let’s do it every four months – that’s certainly within the guidelines. It’s an extra exposure to radiation every year, that’s all.”

I hope that helps …

Hazel

hbecker
                              Participant

I hope that helps …

Hazel

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics