The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Folks that are NED out there, my hubby could use some hope :)

Forums General Melanoma Community Folks that are NED out there, my hubby could use some hope :)

Participant

My husband is being treated for Stage 4 Metastatic Melanoma.  Had the initial spot removed from his neck 8 years ago….and this past May (2016) he had some terrible symptoms that led to removal of a lesion on his cerebellum followed by a week of radiation on the mets on his brain (3-4).

He is currently being treated for mets in his chest and abdomen as well using Mekinist and Tafinlar (at Moffitt Cancer Center).

I know there are people out there that are living with this disease long term and some that are long time NED.  It would be terrific to know those people are out there.

Viewing 23 reply threads
    • Replies
        Randy437
        Participant

I had mets to brain, both lungs and intestine.  They were all removed surgically and I've been NED for almost seven years.

Randy437
          Participant

I had mets to brain, both lungs and intestine.  They were all removed surgically and I've been NED for almost seven years.

Randy437
            Participant

Bubbles
              Participant

Most folks know my story here (so skip to the next one guys!)…but if it will give your husband hope:

Cutaneous primary to right back (only 0.61mm) but with a positive node in 2003 – removed with CLND to right axillae

Second cutaneous primary to left forearm, 2007 – removed with CLND to left axillae, no positive node

Routine CXR found 'something' in chest 2010 – biopsy positive for melanoma. F/U MRI – brain met. Then the games began. Up to that point no treatment but surgery, as ipi, BRAFi, and anti-PD1 were not available. Had lung surg and SRS to brain met. Got in nivolumab (opdivo) trial at Moffitt. The trial lasted 2 1/2 years. My last dose of nivo was in June of 2013. Scans last week confirmed I remain NED. So that = 13 years with melanoma. 70 months (heading to 6 years!) NED.

Hope this helps. Soon we will have being NED and care at Moffitt in common!  Yours, celeste 

MC1R
                  Participant

Celeste – 

Just curious what led them to do a SNLB on a .61mm lesion?  Wouldn't that be just Stage 1?

Bubbles
                    Participant

Mostly because I demanded it!!  How do you KNOW what stage you are if you don't do it????  If the sentinel node is negative….great.  If it is not…you are in a very different place. That was my thinking then and now there is this:http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/08/sentinel-lymph-node-disection-important.html

Knowing what stage you REALLY are is important in regard to treatment options, what f/u scan/recheck schedule would be recommended, and in getting insurance to pay for needed follow up.  It is very important NOT to confuse SNLB and CLND.  The sentinel node biopsy is not particularly invasive and can be done with the necessary wide excision.  Whether to do the complete lymph node disection later is a completely different decision, is certainly more invasive and comes with risks of lymphedema among other things.

Hope that helps.  Celeste

Bubbles
                      Participant

Mostly because I demanded it!!  How do you KNOW what stage you are if you don't do it????  If the sentinel node is negative….great.  If it is not…you are in a very different place. That was my thinking then and now there is this:http://chaoticallypreciselifeloveandmelanoma.blogspot.com/2016/08/sentinel-lymph-node-disection-important.html

Knowing what stage you REALLY are is important in regard to treatment options, what f/u scan/recheck schedule would be recommended, and in getting insurance to pay for needed follow up.  It is very important NOT to confuse SNLB and CLND.  The sentinel node biopsy is not particularly invasive and can be done with the necessary wide excision.  Whether to do the complete lymph node disection later is a completely different decision, is certainly more invasive and comes with risks of lymphedema among other things.

jbronicki
                        Participant

Celeste, I love your answer!  If I've learned nothing else from caring for both my parents with cancer/parkinson's and my husband's situation, you HAVE TO BE YOUR OWN PATIENT ADVOCATE.  It sucks that the patient is put in this role and it's overwhelming at times, but it's true. 

Also, you are completely right, all the evidence-based research shows that the SLNB is totally worth it, no matter what the depth.  It's not completely 100% but it's statistically significant in staging, recurrence rates, survival models etc.

jbronicki
                          Participant

Celeste, I love your answer!  If I've learned nothing else from caring for both my parents with cancer/parkinson's and my husband's situation, you HAVE TO BE YOUR OWN PATIENT ADVOCATE.  It sucks that the patient is put in this role and it's overwhelming at times, but it's true. 

Also, you are completely right, all the evidence-based research shows that the SLNB is totally worth it, no matter what the depth.  It's not completely 100% but it's statistically significant in staging, recurrence rates, survival models etc.

jbronicki
                            Participant

MC1R
                              Participant

Damn – that was insightful at the get go!  😉    Yay for you!  Mine started with a "bump" in my femoral cavity.  Turned out to be a 2.5cm lymph node full of disease.  Unknown primary and clueless patient…

3 years later and I am all over the science and biology of it.  At stage 4 now, 2 disappearing brain mets from gamma knife and on Taf/Mek combo for 6 months so far.  Plan to be one of the long terrm combo responders with normal LDH, < 3 disease sites and low tumor burden.  

Love what you do for all of us!  You rock.

MC1R
                                Participant

Damn – that was insightful at the get go!  😉    Yay for you!  Mine started with a "bump" in my femoral cavity.  Turned out to be a 2.5cm lymph node full of disease.  Unknown primary and clueless patient…

3 years later and I am all over the science and biology of it.  At stage 4 now, 2 disappearing brain mets from gamma knife and on Taf/Mek combo for 6 months so far.  Plan to be one of the long terrm combo responders with normal LDH, < 3 disease sites and low tumor burden.  

MC1R
                                  Participant

Bubbles
                                    Participant

MC1R
                                      Participant

Celeste – 

Just curious what led them to do a SNLB on a .61mm lesion?  Wouldn't that be just Stage 1?

MC1R
                                        Participant

Celeste – 

William.F
                                          Participant

Wifw on TAF/MEK combo with Lombardi/Georgetown and Dr. Atkins…NED just at the 2 year mark…stay tough…

William.F
                                            Participant

Wifw on TAF/MEK combo with Lombardi/Georgetown and Dr. Atkins…NED just at the 2 year mark…stay tough…

William.F
                                              Participant

Stonesie
                                                Participant

Wow.  Thank you for these responses!  This is definitely an awesome group of people.  

I have been lurking ever since May and have learned a LOT from everyone here about what we really need to know.

Stonesie
                                                  Participant

Wow.  Thank you for these responses!  This is definitely an awesome group of people.  

I have been lurking ever since May and have learned a LOT from everyone here about what we really need to know.

Stonesie
                                                    Participant

Bubbles
                                                    Participant

Most folks know my story here (so skip to the next one guys!)…but if it will give your husband hope:

Cutaneous primary to right back (only 0.61mm) but with a positive node in 2003 – removed with CLND to right axillae

Second cutaneous primary to left forearm, 2007 – removed with CLND to left axillae, no positive node

Routine CXR found 'something' in chest 2010 – biopsy positive for melanoma. F/U MRI – brain met. Then the games began. Up to that point no treatment but surgery, as ipi, BRAFi, and anti-PD1 were not available. Had lung surg and SRS to brain met. Got in nivolumab (opdivo) trial at Moffitt. The trial lasted 2 1/2 years. My last dose of nivo was in June of 2013. Scans last week confirmed I remain NED. So that = 13 years with melanoma. 70 months (heading to 6 years!) NED.

Hope this helps. Soon we will have being NED and care at Moffitt in common!  Yours, celeste 

Bubbles
                                                      Participant

Johnjk04
                                                        Participant

January 2012 – melanoma in brain, lungs, liver, gall bladder and adrenal gland.

Two cranitoriums, 3 Cyber Knife radiations and ippi / nivo clinical trial.

4 years NED.

Johnjk04
                                                          Participant

4 years NED.

Johnjk04
                                                            Participant

4 years NED.

Kim K
                                                              Participant

2002 – right shoulder blade 2.06 mm Clark IV removed, SNB & WLE – all negative.

2009 – lung met and pectoralis muscle met.  VATS to remove and confirm stage IV.  

2010 – 23 bags of IL-2, remaining met melted away, complete response!  NED ever since.

14 years with mel, 6 years NED.

Kim K
                                                                Participant

2009 – lung met and pectoralis muscle met.  VATS to remove and confirm stage IV.  

2010 – 23 bags of IL-2, remaining met melted away, complete response!  NED ever since.

Kim K
                                                                  Participant

Gene_S
                                                                    Participant

My husband became Stage IV in Oct. 2010 with an unresectable lesion and metastisis in the liver and lungs and started a clinical trial in March 2011 of IPI 10 mg/kg and GMCSF and became NED in July 2012 and has remained for over 4 years now.

Judy (loving wife of Gene Stage IV and now NED for over 4 years)

Gene_S
                                                                      Participant

My husband became Stage IV in Oct. 2010 with an unresectable lesion and metastisis in the liver and lungs and started a clinical trial in March 2011 of IPI 10 mg/kg and GMCSF and became NED in July 2012 and has remained for over 4 years now.

Gene_S
                                                                        Participant

Rick from NC
                                                                          Participant

NED since 1992 following IL-2 at NIH for Stage 4 with sub-q and lung mets.  24 years now.  Treatments now are more effective.  Best wishes.

Rick from NC
                                                                            Participant

NED since 1992 following IL-2 at NIH for Stage 4 with sub-q and lung mets.  24 years now.  Treatments now are more effective.  Best wishes.

Rick from NC
                                                                              Participant

Kim K
                                                                                  Participant

Dang, that was before it was approved wasn't it?  Thank you for being a rattie for people like me.  You guys helped to make IL-2 safer and gave people like me hope if I responded.  I hope these newer drugs can do the same.

Just too bad they cost an arm and a leg and several have lifelong damage as a result ex. blow out their pituitary gland….

At least after IL-2 I was done and got a really nice facial peel that insurance paid for!

Anyway, I did respond and am still NED 6 years later.  Your data helps me sleep at night knowing after long term follow up, I probably won't ever hear from mel again cheeky.

Kim K
                                                                                    Participant

Dang, that was before it was approved wasn't it?  Thank you for being a rattie for people like me.  You guys helped to make IL-2 safer and gave people like me hope if I responded.  I hope these newer drugs can do the same.

Just too bad they cost an arm and a leg and several have lifelong damage as a result ex. blow out their pituitary gland….

At least after IL-2 I was done and got a really nice facial peel that insurance paid for!

Anyway, I did respond and am still NED 6 years later.  Your data helps me sleep at night knowing after long term follow up, I probably won't ever hear from mel again cheeky.

Kim K
                                                                                      Participant

Casitas1
                                                                                      Participant

2010 Desmoplastic Neurotropic Melanoma lower lip 4.5mm excised STAGE 2B

2014 reoccurrence excised

2015 . metastases bone(jaw)lymph node and soft tissue in cheek stage 4

2015 July start Ippi/nivo. Failed after 2 doses steroids 6 weeks.

2015 Nov. low dose chemo 4 doses.

2016 Jan. Keytruda 10 doses NED.

Best, Paul

Casitas1
                                                                                        Participant

Best, Paul

Casitas1
                                                                                          Participant

Best, Paul

Richard_K
                                                                                            Participant

1998-mole removed from left cheek, WLE good margins, SLNB negative, stage Ib

September 2009-mets in lung, IL-2 unsuccessful, stage IV

March 2010-started in phase 2 trial for what would be Zelboraf

September 2016-still taking Zelboraf and currently enjoying vacation in the Canadian Rockies

Stonesie
                                                                                                Participant

You are all giving ME hope that I'll get to have lots of happy years with my hubby.  Thank you for that.

Stonesie
                                                                                                  Participant

You are all giving ME hope that I'll get to have lots of happy years with my hubby.  Thank you for that.

Stonesie
                                                                                                    Participant

Richard_K
                                                                                                    Participant

September 2016-still taking Zelboraf and currently enjoying vacation in the Canadian Rockies

Richard_K
                                                                                                      Participant

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics