The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Flu Shots???

Forums General Melanoma Community Flu Shots???

Participant

So, I have gotten conflicting advice on getting flu shots and having Melanoma. Some have said "don't worry about it" and then some have said "don't do it because it might compromise your immune system"

Has anyone gotten any advice on this topic or seen any research?

I'm only asking because I was planning on volunteering at my hospital's infusion center and the hospital requires flu shots for all volunteers.

Viewing 29 reply threads
    • Replies
        Andrew1725
        Participant

I had a flu shot while Stage 3 and while doing Interferon treatment and my medical oncologist didn't express any reservations about me having it.

Andrew1725
          Participant

I had a flu shot while Stage 3 and while doing Interferon treatment and my medical oncologist didn't express any reservations about me having it.

Andrew1725
            Participant

MoiraM
              Participant

My melanoma team specifically told me to get a flu shot.

MoiraM
                Participant

MoiraM
                  Participant

jennunicorn
                    Participant

My oncologist made me get a flu shot before I started Ipi. 

jennunicorn
                      Participant

jennunicorn
                        Participant

Bradley75
                          Participant

I was told specifically to get a flu shot as well.  I was even reminded that it is important to get one when I waited longer that my care team wanted me to. 

Bradley75
                            Participant

I was told specifically to get a flu shot as well.  I was even reminded that it is important to get one when I waited longer that my care team wanted me to. 

Bradley75
                              Participant

geriakt
                                Participant

I got one last November no problem 

geriakt
                                  Participant

geriakt
                                    Participant

kylez
                                      Participant

I was in a clinical trial and for the exact same reason I needed to get a flu shot. The drug maker came back and said as long as it is not 'live' vaccine they were fine with me getting it.

kylez
                                        Participant

I was in a clinical trial and for the exact same reason I needed to get a flu shot. The drug maker came back and said as long as it is not 'live' vaccine they were fine with me getting it.

kylez
                                          Participant

jvictoria
                                            Participant

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

jvictoria
                                              Participant

jvictoria
                                                Participant

SABKLYN
                                                  Participant

I get one every year, wholeheartedly endorsed by my oncologist!

SABKLYN
                                                    Participant

SABKLYN
                                                      Participant

SABKLYN
                                                        Participant

SABKLYN
                                                          Participant

SABKLYN
                                                            Participant

jvictoria
                                                              Participant

FYI – Got some solid feedback from an Oncologist. No issue with Flu shots… But, don't take it while on steroids. Let them wear off for a few weeks before you get one.

jvictoria
                                                                Participant

FYI – Got some solid feedback from an Oncologist. No issue with Flu shots… But, don't take it while on steroids. Let them wear off for a few weeks before you get one.

jvictoria
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics