The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Flu shot

Forums General Melanoma Community Flu shot

Participant
      So my husband was immediately given the flu shot when he was in a bad spot just diagnosed and pre immunotherapy treatment which I thought was great. So it’s that time of year again and the melanoma FB page are debating whether you should or shouldn’t get flu shot.
      My question is therefore is the flu shot not recommended for some treatments? Or is that more about location of tumors? Any science about it?
      Thank you
      Dymps
    Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant
          Hey Dymps,

I posted the science (in which Melanoma Big Dogs RECOMMEND melanoma peeps DO get the flu shot) and a lot of others weighed in on this subject earlier this month. Here’s the link to that thread:

https://melanoma.org/legacy/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/flu-shot-and-opdivo

Hope that helps. Celeste

Dympsd
            Participant
              Thanks so much. Knew you would have the science .
            marta010
            Participant
              My husband has been treating since 2012 and faithfully gets the flu shot every year. Also gets the pneumococcal vaccine every two years even though he is not yet 65.
              Hukill
              Participant
                My Dr. recommended I not get the flu shot so for the last 3 years I have not. My wife has gotten her shot but has still got the flu each year. Sleeping in the same bed with her, her Dr. swore I would get the flu also but I never did. Actually since treatment started I have not been sick for anything in the last 3 years. My immune system must be working great.
                  Dympsd
                  Participant
                    Did your Dr tell you why?
                    Hukill
                    Participant
                      He mentioned he was worried there could be an immune response.
                    JudiAU
                    Participant
                      I confirmed yesterday when I was in for an infusion that they wanted to me to get the flu shot. Shot only. No nasal mist.
                      STL Mike
                      Participant
                        I remember when the 1st flu shots came out. I was in the military and we had no choice but to get one. I got sick as a dog. I have not had a flu shot or the flu since then.

I did get pneumococcal vaccine last year since I have had pneumonia before.

From what I understand, the vaccines are pretty much a dice roll as to whether they will be for the strain of flu that shows up.
                        This is just my experience and opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Scooby123
                        Participant
                          Hi Dympsd, I have mine every year and have it week before my treatment date. Had no issue and no flu either.
                          Scooby
                          MelanomaMike
                          Participant
                            Hi Dymps, my onco was cool with me gettin yearly glu shots while on Pembro, Ipi & Nivo. Thetes another shot out there for another seasonal illness and the name escapes me but, my onco wrote in my file DO NOT GIVE blah blah blah to patient…wish i remembered name…
                        Viewing 6 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics