The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

First dose of Ipi… Yervoy.

Forums General Melanoma Community First dose of Ipi… Yervoy.

Participant

Hey everyone.
      There's not too much to update on, but it is another milestone in the journey, so I figured I'd let it be known for readers who still follow my posts. I just did my first dose of Ipilimumab/Yervoy. Although it's only been 5 hours, so far so good, hopefully any side effects will be minimal and I'll continue on with my future doses. And if I'm lucky it'll turn out all my cells from the ACT needed was one the last little *oomph* to clear these things out. Gosh that would be nice… We'll see, I'll keep you updated as I'm updated.

Hey everyone.
      There's not too much to update on, but it is another milestone in the journey, so I figured I'd let it be known for readers who still follow my posts. I just did my first dose of Ipilimumab/Yervoy. Although it's only been 5 hours, so far so good, hopefully any side effects will be minimal and I'll continue on with my future doses. And if I'm lucky it'll turn out all my cells from the ACT needed was one the last little *oomph* to clear these things out. Gosh that would be nice… We'll see, I'll keep you updated as I'm updated.

Thanks for the continuing concern and support.
      I'll talk to you soon.
      -Kevin

Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Replies
        j.m.l.
        Participant

Kevin, I am stage 3 mel. I am 1 week past 2nd infusion of ipi. side effects have been minimal so far. Some people say thats great. Some say that its better to have controlled side effects bec. that means that the immune syst. is revving up. Who really knows. Everyone is different. Some say that the side effects dont always hit until more wks have past. anyway, good luck.

j.m.l.
          Participant

Kevin, I am stage 3 mel. I am 1 week past 2nd infusion of ipi. side effects have been minimal so far. Some people say thats great. Some say that its better to have controlled side effects bec. that means that the immune syst. is revving up. Who really knows. Everyone is different. Some say that the side effects dont always hit until more wks have past. anyway, good luck.

j.m.l.
            Participant

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Thanks for the update, Kevin. Hopefully Yervoy will give your immune system whatever it needs to have a complete response. As you have recently completed adoptive cell therapy (ACT), I feel that it should work well.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Thanks for the update, Kevin. Hopefully Yervoy will give your immune system whatever it needs to have a complete response. As you have recently completed adoptive cell therapy (ACT), I feel that it should work well.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                  Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

jim Breitfeller
                    Participant

Kevin,

Make sure your Oncologist is taking blood for (ALC) Absolute Lymphocyte count. If it doubles by week 7, most likely you will be a responder.

I wish you all the best

Jimmy B

Laurie from maine
                        Participant

Hi Kevin,

Of course we wait to see your posts and hear how you are doing!!  You are a strong fighter and I look for your posts always.  Keep those posts coming.  Glad that so far so good with side effects.  My Fingers crossed and strong  prayers coming your way that this is what your body needed to help you kick that melanomat!!  Let us know.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                          Participant

Hi Kevin,

Of course we wait to see your posts and hear how you are doing!!  You are a strong fighter and I look for your posts always.  Keep those posts coming.  Glad that so far so good with side effects.  My Fingers crossed and strong  prayers coming your way that this is what your body needed to help you kick that melanomat!!  Let us know.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                            Participant

Hi Kevin,

laurie from maine

jim Breitfeller
                            Participant

Kevin,

Make sure your Oncologist is taking blood for (ALC) Absolute Lymphocyte count. If it doubles by week 7, most likely you will be a responder.

I wish you all the best

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                              Participant

Kevin,

I wish you all the best

Jimmy B

willtolive
                                Participant

Hi Kevin

I´m so glad that you´re on Ipilimumab now. It could be your magic bullet. The (short) story of my wife, which I posted on June 24, three days after we got the results of 4 doses of Ipilimumab (3 mg pr.kg). She is now 4 months NED, a sensationel comeback in our fight against cancer! 🙂 Good luck to you my friend. 

Hi everyone

I´ve been reading posts at this Bulletin Board for almost a year now. Some posts I have read with tears in my eyes, and some with joy. Here is our story (short version):

I am the husband to a 39 year old woman from Denmark in Europe.

In 2003 she had a mole removed from her thigh (Stage II). It contained melanoma-cells.

In 2007 melanoma had spread to a lymph-node in her groin (Stage III). Surgery was needed.

In 2008 melanoma relapsed in another lymph-node, surgery again.

In 2009 melanoma hit us hard (Stage IV). It had spread to her lungs, one met in each lung. The size of the mets was 25 mm and 16 mm respectively. Surgery was fortunately possible.

In October 2010 melanoma went back. This time there was multiples mets in each lung. About 5-6 mets in each lung. The biggest was 19 mm. It was unsurgeable, which was very hard to cope with.

In November she began Interferon/Interleukin-2 treatment. It was tough beyond imagination. She had all the known sideeffects, and she was so bad during hospitalization. The midway PET/CT scans in January revealed that she was a responder! Scans showed that all the mets had become inactive or necrotic. Some mets had even shrunk a little bit. We were delighted, and she continued with the third and fourth series of Interferon/IL-2.

February 15 we got the results of the next scan. We were optimistic because the midway scans was indeed promising. We were shocked when told that the melanoma had began to grow again. There was 2 active mets now. One big met, about 32 mm in diameter, in her right lung lightened up. In addiction there was a lot of fluid in the right lung membrane, and it probably contained melanoma-cells. All other mets was still inactive, except one, and our doctor feared that it would be only a matter of time, before the other mets would begin to grow again. We were devastated.

Our doctor suggested Ipilimumab, and my wife started March 11, on the same day Japan was shaken by the huge earthquake. I watched it on TV while she was receiving the first dose of ipilimumab (3 mg/kg dose). I remember wishing that the drug was the earthquake of our lives…

My wife have always been a positive and happy human being, no matter what challenges life would bring, she still truly believe that she could defeat this Melanoma Devil. She began consulting a Chinese doctor and received acupuncture twice a week. Beside this she trained 4-5 times a week, fitness and running. In these situations we talked about preparing your body to fight the cancer, with a "little" help from our friend, ipilimumab…

She received 4 doses every third week and got a CT scan in June.

Three days ago on June 21 we arrived to the hospital to talk with our doctor about the results of the CT scan. The time from the scans being done and to get the results is awful with a lot of anxiety, you guys all know… The scan showed that the 32 mm met in the right lung was completely GONE!!!!! The fluid was gone too, and the x-ray showed a nice healthy looking right lung. We were stunned. I hugged my wife with a lot of tears in my eyes. Our doctor was very delighted too. Ipilimumab had worked much better than expected. We had hoped for stabilization, maybe shrinkage, if we were lucky. But this???? Unbelievable. Some other small mets was still there but hasn´t grown in size in half a year, and our doctor said it very well could be necrotic tissue.

This is where we stand now. We´re thrilled and delighted and so so happy. We have now dared to plan for more than a month 🙂

So this story is to all you Warriors out there, keep on fighting with believe and trust in your hearts. The path is very tough but the battle can be won, sooner or later. We´ll keep fighting this Devil.

Kind regards

willtolive 

willtolive
                                  Participant

Hi Kevin

I´m so glad that you´re on Ipilimumab now. It could be your magic bullet. The (short) story of my wife, which I posted on June 24, three days after we got the results of 4 doses of Ipilimumab (3 mg pr.kg). She is now 4 months NED, a sensationel comeback in our fight against cancer! 🙂 Good luck to you my friend. 

Hi everyone

I´ve been reading posts at this Bulletin Board for almost a year now. Some posts I have read with tears in my eyes, and some with joy. Here is our story (short version):

In 2003 she had a mole removed from her thigh (Stage II). It contained melanoma-cells.

In 2007 melanoma had spread to a lymph-node in her groin (Stage III). Surgery was needed.

In 2009 melanoma hit us hard (Stage IV). It had spread to her lungs, one met in each lung. The size of the mets was 25 mm and 16 mm respectively. Surgery was fortunately possible.

In October 2010 melanoma went back. This time there was multiples mets in each lung. About 5-6 mets in each lung. The biggest was 19 mm. It was unsurgeable, which was very hard to cope with.

In November she began Interferon/Interleukin-2 treatment. It was tough beyond imagination. She had all the known sideeffects, and she was so bad during hospitalization. The midway PET/CT scans in January revealed that she was a responder! Scans showed that all the mets had become inactive or necrotic. Some mets had even shrunk a little bit. We were delighted, and she continued with the third and fourth series of Interferon/IL-2.

February 15 we got the results of the next scan. We were optimistic because the midway scans was indeed promising. We were shocked when told that the melanoma had began to grow again. There was 2 active mets now. One big met, about 32 mm in diameter, in her right lung lightened up. In addiction there was a lot of fluid in the right lung membrane, and it probably contained melanoma-cells. All other mets was still inactive, except one, and our doctor feared that it would be only a matter of time, before the other mets would begin to grow again. We were devastated.

Our doctor suggested Ipilimumab, and my wife started March 11, on the same day Japan was shaken by the huge earthquake. I watched it on TV while she was receiving the first dose of ipilimumab (3 mg/kg dose). I remember wishing that the drug was the earthquake of our lives…

My wife have always been a positive and happy human being, no matter what challenges life would bring, she still truly believe that she could defeat this Melanoma Devil. She began consulting a Chinese doctor and received acupuncture twice a week. Beside this she trained 4-5 times a week, fitness and running. In these situations we talked about preparing your body to fight the cancer, with a "little" help from our friend, ipilimumab…

Three days ago on June 21 we arrived to the hospital to talk with our doctor about the results of the CT scan. The time from the scans being done and to get the results is awful with a lot of anxiety, you guys all know… The scan showed that the 32 mm met in the right lung was completely GONE!!!!! The fluid was gone too, and the x-ray showed a nice healthy looking right lung. We were stunned. I hugged my wife with a lot of tears in my eyes. Our doctor was very delighted too. Ipilimumab had worked much better than expected. We had hoped for stabilization, maybe shrinkage, if we were lucky. But this???? Unbelievable. Some other small mets was still there but hasn´t grown in size in half a year, and our doctor said it very well could be necrotic tissue.

This is where we stand now. We´re thrilled and delighted and so so happy. We have now dared to plan for more than a month 🙂

So this story is to all you Warriors out there, keep on fighting with believe and trust in your hearts. The path is very tough but the battle can be won, sooner or later. We´ll keep fighting this Devil.

Kind regards

willtolive 

willtolive
                                    Participant

Hi Kevin

Hi everyone

Kind regards

willtolive 

mombase
                                        Participant

What an awesome an inspirational story. Thank you for sharing!

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                          Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                            Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

JuleFL
                                            Participant
                                              Wishing you all the best, Kevin.

Jule

JuleFL
                                              Participant

Jule

JuleFL
                                                Participant

Jule

mombase
                                                  Participant

Fantastic, Kevin! May the side effects stay minimal and the outcome maximum!!

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                                    Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

mombase
                                                      Participant

Cristy, Stage IV

triciad
                                                        Participant

Kevin,

I'm sending prayers your way that this will be the magic treatment for you.  Keep up the positive attitude…we're all pulling for you!

Tricia

triciad
                                                          Participant

Kevin,

I'm sending prayers your way that this will be the magic treatment for you.  Keep up the positive attitude…we're all pulling for you!

Tricia

triciad
                                                            Participant

Kevin,

Tricia

jag
                                                              Participant

Kevin, glad to hear that you are up to par on finding the best treatments.  ACT + IPI sounds like a great combo, hopefully it will be a knockout punch!

jag
                                                                Participant

Kevin, glad to hear that you are up to par on finding the best treatments.  ACT + IPI sounds like a great combo, hopefully it will be a knockout punch!

jag
                                                                  Participant

ValinMtl
                                                                    Participant

Dearest Kevin

May this be the final 'ommppphhh' needed to push mel from your body.  Val xx (ipi/now ACT "Til")

ValinMtl
                                                                      Participant

Dearest Kevin

May this be the final 'ommppphhh' needed to push mel from your body.  Val xx (ipi/now ACT "Til")

ValinMtl
                                                                        Participant

Dearest Kevin

JerryfromFauq
                                                                          Participant

Great to hear that you've got it going now.  COME ON IPI, kick ASS!

JerryfromFauq
                                                                            Participant

JerryfromFauq
                                                                              Participant

zephyr66
                                                                                Participant

hi kevin… how are you doing?  pretty new to this site.  i'm in san diego also and partner has stage 4 as well.  hope you're tolerating the new drug well and look forward to new updates.

sylvia

killmel
                                                                                    Participant

Hi Sylvia,

How is your partner doing on holistic therapy and zelboraf?? Is your treatment working?

I live in southern orange county & interested in holistic therapy. I would appreciate knowing what holistic treatment your partner is taking, as well as, where and or who is the doctor administering the holistic theraphy.

Thanks so much for repying to my questions.

Wishing you well with your treatment.

Mary

zephyr66
                                                                                      Participant

mary… i don't see a profile for you or any way i can respond off the thread to answer your question.  whey you get a profile where i can respond, please let me know and i'll share.  thanks!

sylvia

killmel
                                                                                        Participant

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks foryour reply.

I get so confused with computer & such, I could never figure out how to do my profile.

I would  very muh like to know about the holistic theraphy your partner is doing.

Please feel free to email me at this email [email protected]

Thanks,

Mary (my nickname is wendy)

killmel
                                                                                          Participant

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks foryour reply.

I get so confused with computer & such, I could never figure out how to do my profile.

I would  very muh like to know about the holistic theraphy your partner is doing.

Thanks,

killmel
                                                                                            Participant

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks foryour reply.

Thanks,

zephyr66
                                                                                              Participant

mary… i don't see a profile for you or any way i can respond off the thread to answer your question.  whey you get a profile where i can respond, please let me know and i'll share.  thanks!

sylvia

zephyr66
                                                                                                Participant

sylvia

killmel
                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Sylvia,

How is your partner doing on holistic therapy and zelboraf?? Is your treatment working?

I live in southern orange county & interested in holistic therapy. I would appreciate knowing what holistic treatment your partner is taking, as well as, where and or who is the doctor administering the holistic theraphy.

Mary

killmel
                                                                                                    Participant

Hi Sylvia,

Mary

zephyr66
                                                                                                    Participant

hi kevin… how are you doing?  pretty new to this site.  i'm in san diego also and partner has stage 4 as well.  hope you're tolerating the new drug well and look forward to new updates.

sylvia

zephyr66
                                                                                                      Participant

sylvia

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics