The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Final Testing Done….Surgery

Forums General Melanoma Community Final Testing Done….Surgery

Participant

Ok MPIP Family…here's where I'm at.

CT Scan on Friday…no results but surgeon wanted better visual of liver in the event something is there that he needs to go after. As he said…he'll go cherry picking but he likes to know where to start. He also is going to do an intra op ultrasound.

I did colonoscopy today to see if tumor had invaded large intestine as it's basically pushing up against it. I wasn't expecting anything right after but as soon as I was "with it" they told me that everything looked healthy and no invasion. Though he said that tumor can be attached to outside…but this test wouldn't confirm that…surgery will. GI doc said, this surgical onc is very thorough.

So surgery is Friday. I'm nervous. It's a big tumor that grew in 6 months. That really scares the crap out of me…is this crap just running rampant through my body???? Anyway, so as I'm trying to compartementalize everything….I've been looking at options. It's funny how the docs now don;t want to tell me what they feel is best. Anyway my thought process is obviously getting a complete response but if not keeping at bay with the hopes that something better comes along for all of us…

I remember a long time ago Charile S (I hope you read this buddy) said that taking the easy path isn't the best option all the time. I believe he was referring to IL-2 which I did…22 of the 24 planned bags.

I've read conflicting info on this Adoptive Cell Therapy. Not TIL…it's similar in all aspects except they draw T Cells from blood vs. tumor. I have this option local….or I can try to get into NIH or go to MD Anderson….not easy but I tend to agree with Charlie, I'll take the tough path for results. Are there better options or variances out there that are better.

Ipi combo wth Cavatak. Our dear friend who I love dearly, Celeste posted info on this as well as other trials including TIL etc… My attraction to this is that I respinded to ipi in past. Are chances good that I will again?? Do I save this if ACT doesn't work?

Current ONC said Ipi/Nivo even though nivo didn;t work…could have synergistic effect but said this would be last option if nothing else worked.

Anything else out there??? What about this IL-15 I've heard about… Not getting ahead of myself…just preparing to jump into next compartment after Friday.Love you all!!!

Josh

Viewing 50 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

Josh, I just wanted to say I've been reading all of your recent posts and, as with the other awesome folks on here, am keeping good thoughts for you. This is a wild ride and I agree that compartmentalizing things really does help us get through to the next step without totally losing it. 

Wishing you all the best during your surgery Friday, sounds like you'll be in good hands.

jennunicorn
          Participant

Josh, I just wanted to say I've been reading all of your recent posts and, as with the other awesome folks on here, am keeping good thoughts for you. This is a wild ride and I agree that compartmentalizing things really does help us get through to the next step without totally losing it. 

Wishing you all the best during your surgery Friday, sounds like you'll be in good hands.

jennunicorn
            Participant

LaurieGayle
              Participant

Just wanted to say I am thinking of you and praying for the best. 

LaurieGayle
                Participant

LaurieGayle
                  Participant

LaurieGayle
                    Participant

LaurieGayle
                      Participant

LaurieGayle
                        Participant

LaurieGayle
                          Participant

LaurieGayle
                            Participant

LaurieGayle
                              Participant

LaurieGayle
                                Participant

LaurieGayle
                                  Participant

LaurieGayle
                                    Participant

Polymath
                                      Participant

Hi Josh,

Good to hear things are not any worse than feared.  How about getting past this surgery before stressing too much on the next step?  We are all sending positive energies for your big day on Friday, and the healing thereafter.  As for those big tumors, I mentioned I too have those, and although they can grow with uncanny speed, they do tend to max out at about 10cm, and as far as I know, there is no reason to think its running rampant.  As for your multitude of options, the thing that struck me was the idea of holding out for ipi-nivo combo as a last resort.  You had response to ipi alone, and yes, there's a chance you could respond again. There is a proven synergy with the CTLA-4 and anti PD-1 combo (ipi/nivo) and I struggle to understand why you should delay a treatment that has a good chance of working, for experimental treatments.  It would seem that would be a first choice, and participating in a trial as something later since FDA approved options would be exhausted should the combo fail. Hang tough, surrender, and let your faith and love of family bring you strength.

Gary

Polymath
                                        Participant

Hi Josh,

Good to hear things are not any worse than feared.  How about getting past this surgery before stressing too much on the next step?  We are all sending positive energies for your big day on Friday, and the healing thereafter.  As for those big tumors, I mentioned I too have those, and although they can grow with uncanny speed, they do tend to max out at about 10cm, and as far as I know, there is no reason to think its running rampant.  As for your multitude of options, the thing that struck me was the idea of holding out for ipi-nivo combo as a last resort.  You had response to ipi alone, and yes, there's a chance you could respond again. There is a proven synergy with the CTLA-4 and anti PD-1 combo (ipi/nivo) and I struggle to understand why you should delay a treatment that has a good chance of working, for experimental treatments.  It would seem that would be a first choice, and participating in a trial as something later since FDA approved options would be exhausted should the combo fail. Hang tough, surrender, and let your faith and love of family bring you strength.

Gary

Polymath
                                          Participant

Hi Josh,

Gary

Patrisa
                                            Participant

Dear Josh,

I have been reading you whenever you  post and I trully admire you and your spirit! I am not educated on the matter so I can´t give you any worthy advice just keep focused on the ultimate goal – reaching NED. Baby steps make for a marathon in the long run!

I trully believe in this day and age we almost can´t run of options and if one thing fails, there are many more to choose from. ONE WILL WORK FOR YOU and my intuition tells me this is going to be the one for you.

I strongly believe in surgery, you will get rid of most of your tumor burden, and afterwards the meds will take care of the rest.

Will be thinking of you on Friday and sending you positive energy!!!

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                              Participant

Dear Josh,

I have been reading you whenever you  post and I trully admire you and your spirit! I am not educated on the matter so I can´t give you any worthy advice just keep focused on the ultimate goal – reaching NED. Baby steps make for a marathon in the long run!

I trully believe in this day and age we almost can´t run of options and if one thing fails, there are many more to choose from. ONE WILL WORK FOR YOU and my intuition tells me this is going to be the one for you.

I strongly believe in surgery, you will get rid of most of your tumor burden, and afterwards the meds will take care of the rest.

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                Participant

Dear Josh,

Love,

Patrisa

Scooby123
                                                  Participant

Thinking of you Josh, Try and take one step of a time and focus on the sugery and getting better, then look at trials or treatment options.

Will be thinking of you take care and speedy recovery.

scooby123

Scooby123
                                                    Participant

Thinking of you Josh, Try and take one step of a time and focus on the sugery and getting better, then look at trials or treatment options.

scooby123

Scooby123
                                                      Participant

scooby123

Gwen in Maine
                                                        Participant

Josh, I, too, have been following your posts closely. I have two, large (8 cm) abdominal tumors that continue to grow, even though the others are stable. My surgeon wouldn't take them out except for palliative care even though I just want them gone! So, I asked to irradiate one and then joined a phase 2 trial with an ERK inhibitor (Braf pathway). Latest scans were iffy, but they haven't booted me off yet. You're right — it is a bit disconcerting that the docs now offer options but are really careful about not to give too much of an opinion. At any rate, I will hold you in my thoughts on Friday and hope for the best possible outcome. You're a trooper!

Gwen

Gwen in Maine
                                                          Participant

Josh, I, too, have been following your posts closely. I have two, large (8 cm) abdominal tumors that continue to grow, even though the others are stable. My surgeon wouldn't take them out except for palliative care even though I just want them gone! So, I asked to irradiate one and then joined a phase 2 trial with an ERK inhibitor (Braf pathway). Latest scans were iffy, but they haven't booted me off yet. You're right — it is a bit disconcerting that the docs now offer options but are really careful about not to give too much of an opinion. At any rate, I will hold you in my thoughts on Friday and hope for the best possible outcome. You're a trooper!

Gwen

Gwen in Maine
                                                            Participant

Gwen

kpcollins31
                                                              Participant

Josh – Sounds like you have your hands full. Good luck in the surgery on Friday… one step at a time.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                                Participant

Josh – Sounds like you have your hands full. Good luck in the surgery on Friday… one step at a time.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                                  Participant

Kevin

jenny22
                                                                    Participant

Hi Josh-

I continue to follow your story….the decisions we have to make are never easy, and for me at least, always  hard  to make one and then try not to look back …

It sounds like you have a solid plan, and one you can feel pretty good about. 

So for now, I want to wish you well on Friday, and for some peace over the coming days.

As soon as you get past Fridays surgery you can start focusing on next steps.

Sending you warm thoughts, and and lots of good wishes in the hopes you can one day soon put this behind you!

Best,

jenny

jenny22
                                                                      Participant

Hi Josh-

I continue to follow your story….the decisions we have to make are never easy, and for me at least, always  hard  to make one and then try not to look back …

So for now, I want to wish you well on Friday, and for some peace over the coming days.

Sending you warm thoughts, and and lots of good wishes in the hopes you can one day soon put this behind you!

Best,

jenny

jenny22
                                                                        Participant

Hi Josh-

Best,

jenny

SABKLYN
                                                                          Participant

Hey Josh,

GLad you're moving ahead.  You made a good studied decision and now you're ready to move forward.  Good luck, my friend.  Keep us updated when you can.  You have the collective prayers and good wishes of many many people!

SABKLYN
                                                                            Participant

Hey Josh,

GLad you're moving ahead.  You made a good studied decision and now you're ready to move forward.  Good luck, my friend.  Keep us updated when you can.  You have the collective prayers and good wishes of many many people!

SABKLYN
                                                                              Participant

Hey Josh,

kylez
                                                                                Participant

Good luck on Friday Josh! Let us know how you're doing.

kylez
                                                                                  Participant

kylez
                                                                                    Participant

Bubbles
                                                                                      Participant

Hey Josh,

So glad that is behind you and the colon was clear! Awesome! Testing done! BOOM!

There are lots of other options…IDO inhibitors, JAK inhibitors, HDAC6 inhibitor, IL 10 with anti-PD1….

I'm putting up abstracts from ASCO daily. Just posted one re factors that make CAVATK work better….one of which is a low tumor burden….which you will have come Friday! So….I'll just keep plowing through it all! Rest up and get ready. You got this! C

Bubbles
                                                                                        Participant

Hey Josh,

So glad that is behind you and the colon was clear! Awesome! Testing done! BOOM!

There are lots of other options…IDO inhibitors, JAK inhibitors, HDAC6 inhibitor, IL 10 with anti-PD1….

I'm putting up abstracts from ASCO daily. Just posted one re factors that make CAVATK work better….one of which is a low tumor burden….which you will have come Friday! So….I'll just keep plowing through it all! Rest up and get ready. You got this! C

Bubbles
                                                                                          Participant

Hey Josh,

Bubbles
                                                                                              Participant

PS…your surgeon sounds awesome! Love, c

Bubbles
                                                                                                Participant

Bubbles
                                                                                                  Participant

Maureen038
                                                                                                    Participant

Josh,

I know from my husband's surgeries that there is much nervousness before the surgery. We wish you the best and it seems like you have a great surgeon and you made a great decision. Get through the surgery and I'm sure Celeste and many others have great ideas for systemic treatments.

Let us know how things go. You are in our prayers and thoughts.

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                                                                      Participant

Josh,

I know from my husband's surgeries that there is much nervousness before the surgery. We wish you the best and it seems like you have a great surgeon and you made a great decision. Get through the surgery and I'm sure Celeste and many others have great ideas for systemic treatments.

Maureen

Maureen038
                                                                                                        Participant

Josh,

Maureen

JoshF
                                                                                                          Participant

Thanks Celeste. I've been reading the blog and when you post stuff from ASCO. You're truly a blessing. I'm hoping something comes from ASCO that will help guide my decision. Seems like we need more patients in these studies but exclusion criteria sometimes gets in the way….I kind of get that but don't like it.

Love and Hugs to you!!!!

Josh

JoshF
                                                                                                            Participant

Thanks Celeste. I've been reading the blog and when you post stuff from ASCO. You're truly a blessing. I'm hoping something comes from ASCO that will help guide my decision. Seems like we need more patients in these studies but exclusion criteria sometimes gets in the way….I kind of get that but don't like it.

Love and Hugs to you!!!!

Josh

JoshF
                                                                                                              Participant

Love and Hugs to you!!!!

Josh

JoshF
                                                                                                                Participant

Love and Hugs to you!!!!

Josh

JoshF
                                                                                                                  Participant

Love and Hugs to you!!!!

Josh

JoshF
                                                                                                                    Participant

Love and Hugs to you!!!!

Josh

JoshF
                                                                                                                    Participant

Thank you all….I'm getting anxious. I just really wanted to say how grateful I am to have my MPIP family. This is a safe place where people understand what comes with this horrible disease. I'm one who gets caught up in stats and being stage 4, I feel sometimes that hope is slipping away. This is a place where I know many of us…you continue to live through the worst diagnosis we could have as a stage 4 melanoma patient…I hold fast to my faith, trust and the inspiration that many of you provide. Yes I'm rattled but I will wrestle through it.

Peace and love to you all!!!

Josh

PS-Sorry for double post on response to Celeste…not sure what the heck happened there. Here's to hoping it doesn't happen with this reply ๐Ÿ™‚

JoshF
                                                                                                                      Participant

Thank you all….I'm getting anxious. I just really wanted to say how grateful I am to have my MPIP family. This is a safe place where people understand what comes with this horrible disease. I'm one who gets caught up in stats and being stage 4, I feel sometimes that hope is slipping away. This is a place where I know many of us…you continue to live through the worst diagnosis we could have as a stage 4 melanoma patient…I hold fast to my faith, trust and the inspiration that many of you provide. Yes I'm rattled but I will wrestle through it.

Josh

PS-Sorry for double post on response to Celeste…not sure what the heck happened there. Here's to hoping it doesn't happen with this reply ๐Ÿ™‚

JoshF
                                                                                                                        Participant

Josh

mkirkland
                                                                                                                          Participant

Best wishes Josh! Sending many prayers your way!! 

Misty

mkirkland
                                                                                                                            Participant

Misty

mkirkland
                                                                                                                              Participant

Misty

Momofjake
                                                                                                                                Participant

Thinking of you Josh and praying hard for a successful surgery and good recovery(I know that is hard). I really hate all the decisions and I get worn out trying to help Jake make them or him depending on me to know what to do next!! All I know is that I usually feel kind of pulled or led to what's next. You will know. It's scary. One thing is for sure, you are not alone. You have a whole crew right here who really gets it! 

Love and prayers,

kerri

Momofjake
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Thinking of you Josh and praying hard for a successful surgery and good recovery(I know that is hard). I really hate all the decisions and I get worn out trying to help Jake make them or him depending on me to know what to do next!! All I know is that I usually feel kind of pulled or led to what's next. You will know. It's scary. One thing is for sure, you are not alone. You have a whole crew right here who really gets it! 

Love and prayers,

kerri

Momofjake
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Love and prayers,

kerri

Viewing 50 reply threads
                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics