The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Fallen warrior

Forums Cutaneous Melanoma Community Fallen warrior

Participant

John Moore       9/12/1960 – 2/4/2017

It is with a heavy (and sometimes angry) heart that I share my husband's passing on the board. After 3+ years of battling Stage IV, his fight is over. He held on to his fighting spirit to the very end. He died with me holding his hand, playing his Eagles World Tour DVD and with me telling him it was ok to go, I would be fine, and how I dearly loved him and the time we had been able to spend together. 

Melanoma is a horrible disease.  I watched it break down his body but never his spirit. I watched it over 3+ years take from me my lifetime companion little by little. But what it can never take from me are my memories. Mountain biking, ATV racing, Jeep exploring, walking our Great Dane, moving cross country because it was my dream to "live in the west".

When diagnosed Stage IV, his goal became to raise awareness. He participated in news interviews. I made awareness packets every year and distributed them at the cancer center where I worked and with friends and neighbors. He was interviewed for a documentary about genomic sequencing that was made into a DVD by the students at Dixie State Univeristy in St. George, Utah.

So…I will continue his fight. I will continue to participate in 5K's. I will continue with my information packets. I will volunteer for skin cancer checks at the dermatologist's office.  Melanoma may have taken the love of my life physically from me but it cannot take his fighting spirit and our determination to educate others about it's silent deadliness. 

Viewing 62 reply threads
    • Replies
        Patrisa
        Participant

Dear Cathy,

I am so sorry for your loss… It just breaks my heart to come here and read another beautiful soul has left us…

It's so unfair, but we have to be strong and continue this journey, until we meet again… 

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
          Participant

Dear Cathy,

I am so sorry for your loss… It just breaks my heart to come here and read another beautiful soul has left us…

It's so unfair, but we have to be strong and continue this journey, until we meet again… 

Love,

Patrisa

Patrisa
            Participant

Dear Cathy,

Love,

Patrisa

Bubbles
              Participant

Oh, Cathy.  So sorry for your loss of dear John.  So glad for your sweet memories of the life you shared. Hang in there.  Celeste

Bubbles
                Participant

Oh, Cathy.  So sorry for your loss of dear John.  So glad for your sweet memories of the life you shared. Hang in there.  Celeste

Bubbles
                  Participant

Marksa2570
                    Participant

I am sorry for your loss.   It sounds like he put up a very brave fight.     Please keep doing the work you are doing.   Fight on!   

Marksa2570
                      Participant

I am sorry for your loss.   It sounds like he put up a very brave fight.     Please keep doing the work you are doing.   Fight on!   

Marksa2570
                        Participant

UBContributor
                          Participant

Very proud of you! Keep on his spirit. 

UBContributor
                            Participant

UBContributor
                              Participant

Scooby123
                                Participant

I am so sorry Cathy of your loss. I hate this disease so much sadness lately . Prayer to you and family.

scooby ❤️

Scooby123
                                  Participant

I am so sorry Cathy of your loss. I hate this disease so much sadness lately . Prayer to you and family.

scooby ❤️

Scooby123
                                    Participant

scooby ❤️

jpg
                                      Participant

Cathy,

What a wonderful carer you were and your husband so lucky to have you by his side!  You should come join us (although a bit far) at the biggest 5k for melanoma, http://www.safefromthesun.org  It is a wonderful event and you will not be alone but with many others who have fought this battle.

jpg
                                        Participant

Cathy,

What a wonderful carer you were and your husband so lucky to have you by his side!  You should come join us (although a bit far) at the biggest 5k for melanoma, http://www.safefromthesun.org  It is a wonderful event and you will not be alone but with many others who have fought this battle.

jpg
                                          Participant

Cathy,

youngann
                                            Participant

Please accept my most sincere condolences on the loss of your dear husband.

Ann

youngann
                                              Participant

Ann

youngann
                                                Participant

Ann

debwray
                                                  Participant

Dear Cathy,

I am so very sorry to hear your news. I will say a little prayer for you both tonight. This horrible disease takes so much. You and your husbands dignity and courage in facing this is inspirational.

Have an internet hug from another walking the stage 4 tightrope and thank you for the awareness work you have both been doing. It is so important.

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
                                                    Participant

Dear Cathy,

I am so very sorry to hear your news. I will say a little prayer for you both tonight. This horrible disease takes so much. You and your husbands dignity and courage in facing this is inspirational.

Have an internet hug from another walking the stage 4 tightrope and thank you for the awareness work you have both been doing. It is so important.

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
                                                      Participant

Dear Cathy,

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
                                                        Participant

Dear Cathy,

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
                                                          Participant

Dear Cathy,

Best wishes

Deb

debwray
                                                            Participant

Dear Cathy,

Best wishes

Deb

maperny
                                                              Participant

Hi Cathy,

So sorry for the loss of your dear husband.  You are in my prayers.

Maria

maperny
                                                                Participant

Hi Cathy,

Maria

maperny
                                                                  Participant

Hi Cathy,

Maria

Fen
                                                                    Participant

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Cathy.  Bless those wonderful memories as you go through this awful time.

Fen
                                                                      Participant

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Cathy.  Bless those wonderful memories as you go through this awful time.

Fen
                                                                        Participant

tschmith
                                                                          Participant

I'm saddened to read this post.  Prayers for John, you, and your family.  We are grateful that you will continue in our fight to end this horrible cancer.  

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                            Participant

I'm saddened to read this post.  Prayers for John, you, and your family.  We are grateful that you will continue in our fight to end this horrible cancer.  

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                              Participant

Terrie

Mark_DC
                                                                                Participant

Dear Cathy, my words are not good enough, but am very sad amd sorry. Admire your spirit. Will be praying for you and John, and for the many other fighters on this board. Mark

Mark_DC
                                                                                  Participant

Dear Cathy, my words are not good enough, but am very sad amd sorry. Admire your spirit. Will be praying for you and John, and for the many other fighters on this board. Mark

Mark_DC
                                                                                    Participant

Buddy0513
                                                                                      Participant

Cathy,

I am so sorry for your loss. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. 

Melissa

Buddy0513
                                                                                        Participant

Cathy,

I am so sorry for your loss. Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. 

Melissa

Buddy0513
                                                                                          Participant

Cathy,

Melissa

adriana cooper
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              Cathy, thanks for your strength to post and for you and John’s advocacy efforts to help us all and prevent others from having to go through this. I admire your strength and can only hope that I can follow your example. Your first paragraphs brought me to tears as I was waiting for my wife to finish her second radiation session, it echoed my feelings for her. Feel him holding your hand forever.
                                                                                              Rob
                                                                                              adriana cooper
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                Cathy, thanks for your strength to post and for you and John’s advocacy efforts to help us all and prevent others from having to go through this. I admire your strength and can only hope that I can follow your example. Your first paragraphs brought me to tears as I was waiting for my wife to finish her second radiation session, it echoed my feelings for her. Feel him holding your hand forever.
                                                                                                Rob
                                                                                                adriana cooper
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                  Rob
                                                                                                  sister of patient
                                                                                                  Participant

Oh Cathy … I am so, so sorry to learn about John's passing. May I say though that the strength you are demonstrating right now is astounding and yes, this demon can never diminish the spirit of this lovely man you describe. May peace now quickly find its way to your heart!!!

Barb

sister of patient
                                                                                                    Participant

Oh Cathy … I am so, so sorry to learn about John's passing. May I say though that the strength you are demonstrating right now is astounding and yes, this demon can never diminish the spirit of this lovely man you describe. May peace now quickly find its way to your heart!!!

Barb

sister of patient
                                                                                                      Participant

Barb

Shaneswife
                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                          So sorry for your loss Cathy.
                                                                                                          Shaneswife
                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                            Shaneswife
                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                              rosa1
                                                                                                              Participant

I'm so very sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers.

Rosa

rosa1
                                                                                                                Participant

Rosa

rosa1
                                                                                                                  Participant

Rosa

jbronicki
                                                                                                                      Participant

Cathy, I'm so very sorry for both you and your husband.  I can say I'm angry on your behalf as well, it's just incomprehensible at times.  I'm so very sorry, many hugs.

jbronicki
                                                                                                                        Participant

Cathy, I'm so very sorry for both you and your husband.  I can say I'm angry on your behalf as well, it's just incomprehensible at times.  I'm so very sorry, many hugs.

jbronicki
                                                                                                                          Participant

Cathy M
                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                            Thanks all for the kind words and support. Best wishes to each of you as you continue your battles against the disease.
                                                                                                                            Cathy M
                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                              Thanks all for the kind words and support. Best wishes to each of you as you continue your battles against the disease.
                                                                                                                              Cathy M
                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                snow white
                                                                                                                                Participant

Dear Cathy.  i am so very sorry to hear of your beloved husbands passing.   

Jen

snow white
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Jen

snow white
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Jen

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Cathy,

thank you very much for finding the courage to post this. Thanks I just found out today that I'm in Johns shoes. Up until now I have spent my time battling this disease.  But now it's time to shift my focus and I think what John was doing is what I want to do.

Putting out knowledge of this disease is very important. It's very important people catch it early.  That sounds like a great thing for me to do.

I am so so sorry that you lost John.  He sounds like he was a great man.  The fact that you are going to keep continuing to fight for him brings tears to my eyes.  He was very lucky to have you as his wife.

– Paul

Cathy M
                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                            Tears are pouring … Nothing else I can say except my heart goes out to Paul’s family.
                                                                                                                                          _Paul_
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Cathy,

thank you very much for finding the courage to post this. Thanks I just found out today that I'm in Johns shoes. Up until now I have spent my time battling this disease.  But now it's time to shift my focus and I think what John was doing is what I want to do.

Putting out knowledge of this disease is very important. It's very important people catch it early.  That sounds like a great thing for me to do.

I am so so sorry that you lost John.  He sounds like he was a great man.  The fact that you are going to keep continuing to fight for him brings tears to my eyes.  He was very lucky to have you as his wife.

– Paul

Momofjake
                                                                                                                                            Participant

So sorry! We are also in Utah. My son is 19 and has been fighting this for 27 months. It's beyond hard! Thank you for sharing. Love and prayers for you now❤️

Viewing 62 reply threads
                                                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics