The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Experience with Liver Mets

Forums General Melanoma Community Experience with Liver Mets

Participant

I have liver mets and am on Keytruda for five months now.

My blood work for liver and LDH etc is normal but just lately i have noticed my liver is tender in the mornings and i can sort of feel activity going on there. Sometimes i feel a sharp twinge as well.

Is this consistent with worsening liver disease? What can i expect if things get worse?

Are their any treatment possibilites. I am due for a PET scan next month but already feel like things are spiralling out of control.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

I've had 10+ liver mets since my Stage IV diagnosis in 2013.  Before treatment, my LDH was elevated (600+ on whatever scale my doctor uses), my other liver marker were off, I had drenching night sweats and noticeable liver tenderness–which was fairly constant and was aggravated by lifting and pulling, or moving around in bed.  I couldn't comfortably sleep on my stomach, etc.  Since starting treatment, my liver mets have been under control.  My LDH has only been slightly elevated, other liver markers normal and limited episodes of night sweats.  I will occassionally have liver sensation (and/or night sweats) and wonder whether this represents a reawakening of my liver tumors (which shrunk, but have not disappered).  To date, my wonder notwithstanding, this has not been an issue.  I would continue to be watchful and vigilant and move up your scan if you sense a persistent problem.  Otherwise, I would wait it out.  Presumably you'll have labs again with your Keytruda infusion where they'll check liver function.

Scooby123
            Participant

Hi there, I have liver mets too , I have had ippi treatment which shrunk my tumours by 50% but I have experienced when lifting bags of shopping ect pain as if I have pulled my side. What size was they and what are they now. Hopefully your next scan will be improving . Mine are still the same from last scan.

scooby

Squash
              Participant

They were under 1cm originally about five months ago but who knows now. I am due for a scan at the end of Jan.

My doc says as long as the the blood work looks good no point rushing the scans. He wants me to do 6 to 8 infusins before he scans.

Since i had hep B when i was young i think my liver is not in great shape.

Squash
                Participant

They were under 1cm originally about five months ago but who knows now. I am due for a scan at the end of Jan.

My doc says as long as the the blood work looks good no point rushing the scans. He wants me to do 6 to 8 infusins before he scans.

Squash
                  Participant

Squash
                    Participant

My right side has the pain exactly as you describe. It feels like i pulled a muscle there.

Also when i am driving the car my right side feels uncomfortable.

I saw the dco yesterday and he said all my blood work is still good LDH normal, liver function normal etc so he wants me to do the sixth keytruda infusion this week before he scans in a couple of weeks.

That will make it almost six months since my last scan.

I am considering changing docs after this as he just seems to laid back and not listening to me.

Squash
                      Participant

My right side has the pain exactly as you describe. It feels like i pulled a muscle there.

I saw the dco yesterday and he said all my blood work is still good LDH normal, liver function normal etc so he wants me to do the sixth keytruda infusion this week before he scans in a couple of weeks.

I am considering changing docs after this as he just seems to laid back and not listening to me.

Squash
                        Participant

Scooby123
                          Participant

Hi there, I have liver mets too , I have had ippi treatment which shrunk my tumours by 50% but I have experienced when lifting bags of shopping ect pain as if I have pulled my side. What size was they and what are they now. Hopefully your next scan will be improving . Mine are still the same from last scan.

scooby

Scooby123
                            Participant

scooby

Squash
                              Participant

I had labs two weeks before my last infusion and they were all normal for liver function and LDH.

Urea was just over the limit by .01

My liver function has always been normal but I never felt the twinges that i feel now.

It is especially more noticeable in the mornings.

Wow you are lucky that the meds have worked for you thank god.

It sounds like your liver was really playing up big time. I have never had any symptoms like you descri be. I sound like a wooz.in comparison.

Thanks for your input it is much appreciated.

Squash
                                Participant

I had labs two weeks before my last infusion and they were all normal for liver function and LDH.

My liver function has always been normal but I never felt the twinges that i feel now.

It sounds like your liver was really playing up big time. I have never had any symptoms like you descri be. I sound like a wooz.in comparison.

Squash
                                  Participant

Mat
                                  Participant

I've had 10+ liver mets since my Stage IV diagnosis in 2013.  Before treatment, my LDH was elevated (600+ on whatever scale my doctor uses), my other liver marker were off, I had drenching night sweats and noticeable liver tenderness–which was fairly constant and was aggravated by lifting and pulling, or moving around in bed.  I couldn't comfortably sleep on my stomach, etc.  Since starting treatment, my liver mets have been under control.  My LDH has only been slightly elevated, other liver markers normal and limited episodes of night sweats.  I will occassionally have liver sensation (and/or night sweats) and wonder whether this represents a reawakening of my liver tumors (which shrunk, but have not disappered).  To date, my wonder notwithstanding, this has not been an issue.  I would continue to be watchful and vigilant and move up your scan if you sense a persistent problem.  Otherwise, I would wait it out.  Presumably you'll have labs again with your Keytruda infusion where they'll check liver function.

Mat
                                    Participant

Viewing 2 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics