The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

End of the Road

Forums General Melanoma Community End of the Road

Participant

Hey everyone, 

Hey everyone, 

Haven't been on in awhile.  Dirk and I have been fighting hard to get his brain mets under control.  After 3 rounds of Abraxene, the January scans showed that 6 brain tumors started growing.  Tough news, because in December, it looked like they were all stable.  He has already done WBR, so we were scheduled for Gamma Knife on 2/10.  Since then, he has not bounced back.  For the last week he has been sleeping a lot, very little appetite, some confusion, difficulty speaking, etc.  I contacted MD Anderson and Dr Papa saw him today.  I knew before we got there, that he was not good, his skin and the whites of his eyes were yellow.  But I was hoping they could admit him and hydrate or give blood transfusion……anything….

Sadly, after getting exam and blood results, Papa said his liver is failing.  No more treatments.  We have tried all that we can.  The social worker brought in a batch of brochures for hospice care and i need to call her in the morning with our choice.  Doc said we could have a day, a week, possibly a month (highly unlikely though).  

Just trying to wrap my brain (and heart) around this.  Not sure how to deal with this next part, but as always, one day at a time.

Thanks everyone for listening.

Jan

Viewing 59 reply threads
    • Replies
        hope4cure1
        Participant

Oh Jan, I am so sorry to hear what Dirk and you are going through.  You both have been determined fighters.  I hope that you receive love and support as you make your decisions and hold each other close.  My prayers are with you every step of the way.

Hope

hope4cure1
          Participant

Oh Jan, I am so sorry to hear what Dirk and you are going through.  You both have been determined fighters.  I hope that you receive love and support as you make your decisions and hold each other close.  My prayers are with you every step of the way.

Hope

hope4cure1
            Participant

Hope

aldakota22
              Participant

So sorry for you and your husband.Both are real fighters.One day soon medicine will beat this.My prayers go with you.

aldakota22
                Participant

So sorry for you and your husband.Both are real fighters.One day soon medicine will beat this.My prayers go with you.

aldakota22
                  Participant

MeNDave
                    Participant

Jan,

I'm so sorry your journey has come to this.  My heart is breaking for you.  You both are so strong, and Dirk has been lucky to have you in his corner fighting this every step of the way.  I wish there were words to bring you comfort….please know I'm thinking of you.

Maria

MeNDave
                      Participant

Jan,

I'm so sorry your journey has come to this.  My heart is breaking for you.  You both are so strong, and Dirk has been lucky to have you in his corner fighting this every step of the way.  I wish there were words to bring you comfort….please know I'm thinking of you.

Maria

MeNDave
                        Participant

Jan,

Maria

scots
                          Participant

I'm sad to hear the news about Dirk. You and Dirk will be in my prayers.

scot

scots
                            Participant

scot

scots
                              Participant

scot

SStamps
                                Participant
                                  I am sorry to hear the news my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I have been thinking about you and your husband since your last post( or the last one I read) Mickey and I are in Houston now for one more night if you need anything let me know.
                                  Samantha
                                  SStamps
                                  Participant
                                    I am sorry to hear the news my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I have been thinking about you and your husband since your last post( or the last one I read) Mickey and I are in Houston now for one more night if you need anything let me know.
                                    Samantha
                                    SStamps
                                    Participant
                                      Samantha
                                      Fen
                                      Participant

I'm so sorry, Jan.  I hope hospice provides all the support you both need – keeping you in my prayers.  Fen.

Fen
                                        Participant

I'm so sorry, Jan.  I hope hospice provides all the support you both need – keeping you in my prayers.  Fen.

Fen
                                          Participant

Phil S
                                            Participant
                                              Jan, You are such an amazing and loving advocate for your husband. Please know you are in our thoughts and we wish Dirk a peaceful end to his battle with melanoma. What a fight you two put up, please take good care yourself! God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                              Phil S
                                              Participant
                                                Jan, You are such an amazing and loving advocate for your husband. Please know you are in our thoughts and we wish Dirk a peaceful end to his battle with melanoma. What a fight you two put up, please take good care yourself! God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                                                Phil S
                                                Participant
                                                  Gene_S
                                                  Participant

Hello Jan,

I am so sorry to hear the sad news.  You have both put up a good fight and been true warriors.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you and the family.  Please take good care of yourself and Dirk.  Cyber hugs to help you deal with all that needs done.

Judy and Gene

Gene_S
                                                    Participant

Hello Jan,

I am so sorry to hear the sad news.  You have both put up a good fight and been true warriors.  My thoughts and prayers go out to you and the family.  Please take good care of yourself and Dirk.  Cyber hugs to help you deal with all that needs done.

Judy and Gene

Gene_S
                                                      Participant

Hello Jan,

Judy and Gene

walesgirl
                                                        Participant

Jan…as with the others, my heart goes out to you both, and your daughter…I wish you all serenity and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers…

walesgirl
                                                          Participant

Jan…as with the others, my heart goes out to you both, and your daughter…I wish you all serenity and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers…

walesgirl
                                                            Participant

lhaley
                                                              Participant

Jan,

You and Dirk have fought so hard through this disease.  I know that you will find the best hospice program that you can now find that will help your family through this. 

Love each other during this time and be peaceful for this last part of the journey. With having just moved to Texas I hope that there are either friends or family to help you.

Linda

lhaley
                                                                Participant

Jan,

You and Dirk have fought so hard through this disease.  I know that you will find the best hospice program that you can now find that will help your family through this. 

Love each other during this time and be peaceful for this last part of the journey. With having just moved to Texas I hope that there are either friends or family to help you.

Linda

lhaley
                                                                  Participant

Jan,

Linda

samcanada
                                                                    Participant

I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this. Our hearts and prayers to you and your family.

samcanada
                                                                      Participant

I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this. Our hearts and prayers to you and your family.

samcanada
                                                                        Participant

jim Breitfeller
                                                                          Participant

Jan,

My heart goes out to you, Dirk and family.

You are in my thoughts and prayers

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                                                                            Participant

Jan,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
                                                                              Participant

Jan,

Jimmy B

runnergirl
                                                                                Participant

Jan, you and Dirk have done the best you can do.  Making one last visit to MD Anderson honored the integrety that has been your path.  Now you are on a different path, one that will end at the Y.  Been there, done that.  Will offer some humble suggestions.  Two kleenex doubled over works better than one.  Honor your physical limits.  If hospice leaves you without enough aids, hire help.  If somebody tries to pull you away by saying "You have to take care of yourself," say "sitting here with him IS taking care of myself."  Same for eating.  Follow what your body wants, but do stay hydrated. If you don't feel like talking on the phone, drop e-bombs.  Call the people who offer you comfort, not questions.  Will somebody copy this and send it back to me when I need it again? Jan, the peace of God may be beyond understanding, but Im hoping that you will find grace and courage on your journey; may God give life to you and everlasting life to Dirk.

runnergirl
                                                                                  Participant

Jan, you and Dirk have done the best you can do.  Making one last visit to MD Anderson honored the integrety that has been your path.  Now you are on a different path, one that will end at the Y.  Been there, done that.  Will offer some humble suggestions.  Two kleenex doubled over works better than one.  Honor your physical limits.  If hospice leaves you without enough aids, hire help.  If somebody tries to pull you away by saying "You have to take care of yourself," say "sitting here with him IS taking care of myself."  Same for eating.  Follow what your body wants, but do stay hydrated. If you don't feel like talking on the phone, drop e-bombs.  Call the people who offer you comfort, not questions.  Will somebody copy this and send it back to me when I need it again? Jan, the peace of God may be beyond understanding, but Im hoping that you will find grace and courage on your journey; may God give life to you and everlasting life to Dirk.

runnergirl
                                                                                    Participant

Karin L
                                                                                      Participant

My heart breaks just reading this.  You were both an inspiration to me when I began my battle to keep fighting and I thank you for that.  My prayers and thoughts are with you both. 

Karin

Karin L
                                                                                        Participant

My heart breaks just reading this.  You were both an inspiration to me when I began my battle to keep fighting and I thank you for that.  My prayers and thoughts are with you both. 

Karin

Karin L
                                                                                          Participant

Karin

gabsound
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              Jan,

I know I don’t “know ” you, but i was just thinking about you and had looked up your last post last evening. I’m sorry things have taken the turn that they have. That’s just heartbreaking. I’m sure hospice will be very helpful.

God bless you and Dirk

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                Jan,

I know I don’t “know ” you, but i was just thinking about you and had looked up your last post last evening. I’m sorry things have taken the turn that they have. That’s just heartbreaking. I’m sure hospice will be very helpful.

God bless you and Dirk

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                  Jan,

God bless you and Dirk

Julie in Las Vegas

RMcLegal
                                                                                                  Participant

I'm so very sorry to hear this.  You two are inspiring fighters.  Peace be with you.

RMcLegal
                                                                                                    Participant

I'm so very sorry to hear this.  You two are inspiring fighters.  Peace be with you.

RMcLegal
                                                                                                      Participant

Sherron
                                                                                                        Participant

Jan, I am so sorry to hear this…I know it does come as a shock.  I lost my husband on Nov 30, 2010…..and still dealling with it, and reliving it all.  It will be very difficult.  I pray you have a great faith in God…That is what has sustained me, not people, but my relationshlip with my God.  He has held my had the complete way.  Of course, my heart is very open to him.   I wish you the very best.  Jim went to Hospice at the VA…I  thought he had like 3 weeks.  He was gone withing 12 hours…Such a shock…  Prayer and Hugs.  And so sorry you have to walk this journey.  But soon his pain will be gone, and in the end your hursband will be the winner….Mel loses everytime.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER

boot2aboot
                                                                                                            Participant

Thank you for updating us…i am so sorry to hear of this news…but you have been a trooper

boots

boot2aboot
                                                                                                              Participant

Thank you for updating us…i am so sorry to hear of this news…but you have been a trooper

boots

boot2aboot
                                                                                                                Participant

boots

Sherron
                                                                                                                Participant

Jan, I am so sorry to hear this…I know it does come as a shock.  I lost my husband on Nov 30, 2010…..and still dealling with it, and reliving it all.  It will be very difficult.  I pray you have a great faith in God…That is what has sustained me, not people, but my relationshlip with my God.  He has held my had the complete way.  Of course, my heart is very open to him.   I wish you the very best.  Jim went to Hospice at the VA…I  thought he had like 3 weeks.  He was gone withing 12 hours…Such a shock…  Prayer and Hugs.  And so sorry you have to walk this journey.  But soon his pain will be gone, and in the end your hursband will be the winner….Mel loses everytime.

Take Care,

Sherron
                                                                                                                  Participant

Take Care,

jag
                                                                                                                    Participant

Jan, 

Very sorry to hear that you and Dirk are heading in that direction.  I will pray for your strength in this difficult time.

Vermont_Donna
                                                                                                                        Participant

Dear Jan (and Dirk),

I am so very sorry for you and it hurts to read your post, but I am so glad that you took the time to come to your melanoma family and let us know what is going on.

I wish you a peaceful journey forward Dirk.

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna

Vermont_Donna
                                                                                                                          Participant

Dear Jan (and Dirk),

I am so very sorry for you and it hurts to read your post, but I am so glad that you took the time to come to your melanoma family and let us know what is going on.

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna

Vermont_Donna
                                                                                                                            Participant

Dear Jan (and Dirk),

Hugs,

Vermont_Donna

jag
                                                                                                                            Participant

Jan, 

Very sorry to hear that you and Dirk are heading in that direction.  I will pray for your strength in this difficult time.

jag
                                                                                                                              Participant

Jan, 

davidfromsingapore
                                                                                                                                Participant

Dirk and Jan

You already won the game.  The rest is a bonus.  Thinking and praying for you both. 

David

davidfromsingapore
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Dirk and Jan

You already won the game.  The rest is a bonus.  Thinking and praying for you both. 

David

NYKaren
                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                        Dear Jan and Dirk,

I’m so very sorry to hear your news. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

karen

NYKaren
                                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                                          Dear Jan and Dirk,

karen

NYKaren
                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                            Dear Jan and Dirk,

karen

davidfromsingapore
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Dirk and Jan

David

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Jan, I am truly saddened to read this. Sometimes things happen that are out of our control and despite everyone's best efforts, there are no more treatments available. I remember being in a very similar situation in 2009 when my late wife was experiencing liver failure.

You and Dirk are in my thoughts and prayers.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Jan, I am truly saddened to read this. Sometimes things happen that are out of our control and despite everyone's best efforts, there are no more treatments available. I remember being in a very similar situation in 2009 when my late wife was experiencing liver failure.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

Viewing 59 reply threads
                                                                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics