The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Dabrafenib/MEK combo fevers, chills

Forums General Melanoma Community Dabrafenib/MEK combo fevers, chills

Participant
      I started dabrafenib about a month ago, then added the Mekinist 2 weeks ago. I was fine, only slight side effects, on the dab, but the MEK has reduced my quality of life to 0. Either fever or chills, cannot get out of bed, Aleve & Tylenol don’t help. I am off it all for the weekend as my Dr is out of town.

Thanks,
      Amy

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Harry in Fair Oaks
        Participant

I have been on the this combo through the GSK trial for 2-1/2 years.  At the beginning (first couple of months), I had lots of high fever/chills/shakes/sweating (when fever broke).  Usually this was controllable with ibuprofen – sometimes I took ibu an hour before the drugs to ward off the fever, and I think that helped..  My body must have adjusted to the drugs, because I have not had a fever episode for at least 1-1/2 years.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
          Participant

I have been on the this combo through the GSK trial for 2-1/2 years.  At the beginning (first couple of months), I had lots of high fever/chills/shakes/sweating (when fever broke).  Usually this was controllable with ibuprofen – sometimes I took ibu an hour before the drugs to ward off the fever, and I think that helped..  My body must have adjusted to the drugs, because I have not had a fever episode for at least 1-1/2 years.

Best wishes,

Harry

DonnaK
              Participant

Amy, I think your response is fairly common.  My husbands oncologist at MSKCC will not prescribe him with the combination as the first three patients they dosed the combination to had similar responses (high fever).   That being said, I think someone else posted recently that after they got past the first episode, they didn't have additional problems…

Donna

DonnaK
                Participant

Amy, I think your response is fairly common.  My husbands oncologist at MSKCC will not prescribe him with the combination as the first three patients they dosed the combination to had similar responses (high fever).   That being said, I think someone else posted recently that after they got past the first episode, they didn't have additional problems…

Donna

DonnaK
                  Participant

Donna

Harry in Fair Oaks
                  Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

awillett1991
                    Participant
                      Thanks y’all, I appreciate your feedback. They have me on a prednisone but it isn’t helping. I’ve missed 2 doses and this morning woke up feeling so good, I am also in a lot of pain recovering from cardiac surgery. Mel is wearing this girl down.
                      Amy
                      awillett1991
                      Participant
                        Thanks y’all, I appreciate your feedback. They have me on a prednisone but it isn’t helping. I’ve missed 2 doses and this morning woke up feeling so good, I am also in a lot of pain recovering from cardiac surgery. Mel is wearing this girl down.
                        Amy
                        awillett1991
                        Participant
                          Amy
                          DeniseK
                          Participant

OMG!!  I came here today to post about chills and fever to see if anyone else was having these side effects.  It's been brutal for me.  I could not stop shivering last night.  I turned the heat up to 85 degrees and had just about every blanket I owned on me.  I've been sleeping a lot too.  I basically have to force myself to stay awake during the day.  The chills and shivering just started for me about 2 days ago.  Just a slight fever so I'm gonna try some over the counter medicine, maybe that will help.  I take my MEK in the morning.  Maybe I'll switch to taking it in the evening that way it won;t hit me until the next day.  I know the MEK is working so I don't want to stop taking it.  I guess it's a trade off with the dang side effects.  Let us know what your doctor says and what he recommends taking to help.  Sorry your going through this, I know first hand how back it sux.  

Take care Amy, hang in there.  Sounds like this may be a temporary thing we have to deal with.

All my best to you

Denise

DeniseK
                            Participant

OMG!!  I came here today to post about chills and fever to see if anyone else was having these side effects.  It's been brutal for me.  I could not stop shivering last night.  I turned the heat up to 85 degrees and had just about every blanket I owned on me.  I've been sleeping a lot too.  I basically have to force myself to stay awake during the day.  The chills and shivering just started for me about 2 days ago.  Just a slight fever so I'm gonna try some over the counter medicine, maybe that will help.  I take my MEK in the morning.  Maybe I'll switch to taking it in the evening that way it won;t hit me until the next day.  I know the MEK is working so I don't want to stop taking it.  I guess it's a trade off with the dang side effects.  Let us know what your doctor says and what he recommends taking to help.  Sorry your going through this, I know first hand how back it sux.  

Take care Amy, hang in there.  Sounds like this may be a temporary thing we have to deal with.

All my best to you

Denise

awillett1991
                                Participant
                                  Denise – my fever is not bad, 101.8 so far, the chills, Awful!!! try an old fashioned plug in heating pad. I say this not to scare you but I woke up the other morning shaking so hard I could not feed myself. Also my liver ALP is up to the 400s which is a little weird but I got liver toxicity when he tried me on Ipi & Zel and ended up in the hospital. Blech. on 10 mg pred which I’m supposed to start tomorrow so I will go ahead w that.
                                  awillett1991
                                  Participant
                                    Denise – my fever is not bad, 101.8 so far, the chills, Awful!!! try an old fashioned plug in heating pad. I say this not to scare you but I woke up the other morning shaking so hard I could not feed myself. Also my liver ALP is up to the 400s which is a little weird but I got liver toxicity when he tried me on Ipi & Zel and ended up in the hospital. Blech. on 10 mg pred which I’m supposed to start tomorrow so I will go ahead w that.
                                    awillett1991
                                    Participant
                                      awillett1991
                                      Participant
                                        Hope you are feeling better soon – you are such a fighter!!!
                                        awillett1991
                                        Participant
                                          awillett1991
                                          Participant
                                            DeniseK
                                            Participant

Hi Amy,

My fever is not bad either, just under 100, 99.6-99.8.  Last night was like you decribed shaking so bad I couldn't stop.  When are you taking your MEK?  I thought if I changed the timing but I don't want to wake up shivering/shaking.  I took a couple of aspirin today so far and will take a couple more later.  Maybe that'll work.

And UMMMM talk about a fighter!  You have been through A LOT!!!  I admire your strength and courage.

DeniseK
                                              Participant

Hi Amy,

My fever is not bad either, just under 100, 99.6-99.8.  Last night was like you decribed shaking so bad I couldn't stop.  When are you taking your MEK?  I thought if I changed the timing but I don't want to wake up shivering/shaking.  I took a couple of aspirin today so far and will take a couple more later.  Maybe that'll work.

And UMMMM talk about a fighter!  You have been through A LOT!!!  I admire your strength and courage.

awillett1991
                                                Participant
                                                  Well we’ll just form the mutual survivors admiration society! I took it before dinner and chills started evenings only but the last day and a half from fever/chills/sweats round and round and I also decided I couldn’t take it. I have my limits. Ribs hurt like h@@@ from cardiac surgery and busted a bunch of stitches coughing. Cough is leftover from pd1 and no one can get rid of.

Just need to talk to my dr or his nurse. Need to get back on – have 2 brain mets untreated. Will speak w them Mon.

awillett1991
                                                  Participant
                                                    Well we’ll just form the mutual survivors admiration society! I took it before dinner and chills started evenings only but the last day and a half from fever/chills/sweats round and round and I also decided I couldn’t take it. I have my limits. Ribs hurt like h@@@ from cardiac surgery and busted a bunch of stitches coughing. Cough is leftover from pd1 and no one can get rid of.

Just need to talk to my dr or his nurse. Need to get back on – have 2 brain mets untreated. Will speak w them Mon.

awillett1991
                                                    Participant

DeniseK
                                                      Participant

Hi Amy,

DeniseK
                                                      Participant

All my best to you

Denise

Aussielyn
                                                        Participant
                                                          Hang in there Amy! I’ve also been through the fevers , chills , shocking feet & leg pain & mouth ulcers ie generally feeling like you know what! After a 5 day break from trametinib & a 10 day break from dabrafenib I start again tomorrow on the combination but 100mg less dose of dabrafenib. I’m also going to take prednisone for 15 days to see if that helps with side effects! It’s all trial & error for me at the present time. Must say it was so nice feeling like a normal person when I was on the break! Do hope your symptoms subside – take care not to become dehydrated as that happened to me when the fevers & headaches hit. Take care,
                                                          Best wishes,
                                                          Lyn
                                                          Aussielyn
                                                          Participant
                                                            Hang in there Amy! I’ve also been through the fevers , chills , shocking feet & leg pain & mouth ulcers ie generally feeling like you know what! After a 5 day break from trametinib & a 10 day break from dabrafenib I start again tomorrow on the combination but 100mg less dose of dabrafenib. I’m also going to take prednisone for 15 days to see if that helps with side effects! It’s all trial & error for me at the present time. Must say it was so nice feeling like a normal person when I was on the break! Do hope your symptoms subside – take care not to become dehydrated as that happened to me when the fevers & headaches hit. Take care,
                                                            Best wishes,
                                                            Lyn
                                                            Aussielyn
                                                            Participant
                                                              Best wishes,
                                                              Lyn
                                                                awillett1991
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Lyn,

I’d love to hear what does/ doesn’t work for you if you don’t mind PM ing me or posting. The mouth ulcers and joint/foot/leg pain are not so bad, but I was already on 5 mg pred when I started and also neurotonin due to severe neuropathy in one leg that crept up during pd1. Leg would be so numb I was afraid I’d fall. Much better now. Things do taste funny though! Thanks for chiming in! It is so very helpful to know I am not alone AND you can get used to it. I have 3 school age kids and want to live as long as possible for them.

Amy

awillett1991
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Lyn,

I’d love to hear what does/ doesn’t work for you if you don’t mind PM ing me or posting. The mouth ulcers and joint/foot/leg pain are not so bad, but I was already on 5 mg pred when I started and also neurotonin due to severe neuropathy in one leg that crept up during pd1. Leg would be so numb I was afraid I’d fall. Much better now. Things do taste funny though! Thanks for chiming in! It is so very helpful to know I am not alone AND you can get used to it. I have 3 school age kids and want to live as long as possible for them.

Amy

awillett1991
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      Lyn,

Amy

NYKaren
                                                                      Participant

Oh Amy, I am SO sorry you're going through this.  it's interesting that I barely have any side-effects at all on the combo drug but suffered so with Zel.  I'm just beginning to stop my final 1 mg. of dex–I'm sooo tired.  I'm looking forward to walking up the steps again!

You, my friend, are the true trooper here…you've just been through so much but continue to cheer the rest of us on.  YOU are fantastic, and YOU are going to be there for your kids.  We're so far along…I feel like we've come so far that we just HAVE to make it!

Your kids are younger than mine—mine are 23 and 25..but there's always something to long for, wish for, and to pray for with them.  I pray that the medical advances and therapies that have been made in the past couple of years come even quicker for us all, and that we all get to live long, happy lives for us and our families.

Karen

NYKaren
                                                                        Participant

Oh Amy, I am SO sorry you're going through this.  it's interesting that I barely have any side-effects at all on the combo drug but suffered so with Zel.  I'm just beginning to stop my final 1 mg. of dex–I'm sooo tired.  I'm looking forward to walking up the steps again!

You, my friend, are the true trooper here…you've just been through so much but continue to cheer the rest of us on.  YOU are fantastic, and YOU are going to be there for your kids.  We're so far along…I feel like we've come so far that we just HAVE to make it!

Your kids are younger than mine—mine are 23 and 25..but there's always something to long for, wish for, and to pray for with them.  I pray that the medical advances and therapies that have been made in the past couple of years come even quicker for us all, and that we all get to live long, happy lives for us and our families.

Karen

NYKaren
                                                                          Participant

One more thing…I've been on Fluconazole for the major thrush and horrible taste and it's helped a lot. 

NYKaren
                                                                            Participant

One more thing…I've been on Fluconazole for the major thrush and horrible taste and it's helped a lot. 

awillett1991
                                                                              Participant

Thanks Karen you are so sweet, I'm glad for any tips and you are so sweet, I'm glad you are on the upswing!! 2 days in the hospital and Dr says we are Done w the MEK.  Will restart the dabrafenib after I recover a little more.

Amy

awillett1991
                                                                                Participant

Thanks Karen you are so sweet, I'm glad for any tips and you are so sweet, I'm glad you are on the upswing!! 2 days in the hospital and Dr says we are Done w the MEK.  Will restart the dabrafenib after I recover a little more.

Amy

awillett1991
                                                                                  Participant

Amy

NYKaren
                                                                                    Participant

NYKaren
                                                                                      Participant

Karen

wayna
                                                                                      Participant

Hello there,

Are Aleve & Tylenol all the doctors giving you to control your fever?  Has anyone else being told take anything else to control high fever?

thanks,

Wayna

Fieldbc
                                                                                          Participant

I started taking Debrafenib and Mekinist approximately six weeks ago. I had absolutely no issues for the first five weeks. The last week I've had the worst headaches, on and off fevers and chills that would make me shake uncontrollably. My Nurse said to try Excedrin for side effects. I tried Advil, Tylynol and Excedrin with no luck. My Oncologist is taking me off Debraf/Mek for four days. Not sure what her plans are after that. It sucks too cause my LDH went from 2800 prior to taking targeted therapy drugs to 580 three weeks after starting them. Hopefully she can figure out a better dosage or something. Sorry I wasn't much help Wayna

Sincerely, 

Brett

Fieldbc
                                                                                            Participant

I started taking Debrafenib and Mekinist approximately six weeks ago. I had absolutely no issues for the first five weeks. The last week I've had the worst headaches, on and off fevers and chills that would make me shake uncontrollably. My Nurse said to try Excedrin for side effects. I tried Advil, Tylynol and Excedrin with no luck. My Oncologist is taking me off Debraf/Mek for four days. Not sure what her plans are after that. It sucks too cause my LDH went from 2800 prior to taking targeted therapy drugs to 580 three weeks after starting them. Hopefully she can figure out a better dosage or something. Sorry I wasn't much help Wayna

Sincerely, 

Brett

Fieldbc
                                                                                              Participant

Sincerely, 

Brett

wayna
                                                                                              Participant

Hello there,

Are Aleve & Tylenol all the doctors giving you to control your fever?  Has anyone else being told take anything else to control high fever?

thanks,

Wayna

wayna
                                                                                                Participant

Hello there,

thanks,

Wayna

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics