The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Craniotomy Thursday

Forums General Melanoma Community Craniotomy Thursday

Participant

Unable to sleep, I sit here in the hospital listening to my beautiful husband breathe. Sometimes labored and coughing, at other times more restful. He is the best man in the world. I know that a love like ours is rare and I am so grateful for that gift. But it also makes the pain of seeing him like this that much worse. 

He was admitted for nausea/vomiting and confusion. He has progressive melanoma in his lungs and abdomen and bleeding and swelling in his brain. He has not responded as well as hoped to high dose steroids for the swelling and Thursday will undergo a craniotomy. Then after recovery from that he will start IV immunotherapy. The worry is that starting immunotherapy now may increase cerebral edema and need for more delay of treatment or even herniation. 
      The oncologist believes this is our best plan, but admits that his rapid advancement of disease is not reassuring. He failed MEK/taf after just two weeks.
      Always the better person, he does not rail against God for this happening. I am not so inclined. Those of you who believe in the power of prayer, please pray for a miracle. 

Judy 
    Viewing 35 reply threads
    • Replies
        Michelle820
        Participant

(((Hugs))) I am so sorry. Please know that your husband will be in my thoughts and prayers most definitely. I do believe in miracle!

Michelle820
          Participant

(((Hugs))) I am so sorry. Please know that your husband will be in my thoughts and prayers most definitely. I do believe in miracle!

Terrified
              Participant

Thank you 

Judy

Terrified
                Participant

Thank you 

Judy

Terrified
                  Participant

Thank you 

Judy

Michelle820
                  Participant

Mamapegela
                    Participant

Dear Judy- I am saying a prayer for peace and healing for your husband.  This is so brutal- I am sorry you are going through it.  I am relatively new to this forum and to the melanoma world so I can't offer you any advice as to possible courses of action but want you to know that I am thinking of you.

Peggy

Terrified
                        Participant

Thank you

judy

Terrified
                          Participant

Thank you

judy

Terrified
                            Participant

Thank you

judy

Mamapegela
                            Participant

Dear Judy- I am saying a prayer for peace and healing for your husband.  This is so brutal- I am sorry you are going through it.  I am relatively new to this forum and to the melanoma world so I can't offer you any advice as to possible courses of action but want you to know that I am thinking of you.

Peggy

Mamapegela
                              Participant

Peggy

momof4boys
                                Participant
                                  I will definitely pray for your husband as I too believe in the power of prayer. GOD can produce miracles! Im so sorry you are in this situation and I just wanted you to know your mel family is thinking of you. Stay strong, this isn’t over. You just need to find the right treatment!
                                  momof4boys
                                  Participant
                                    I will definitely pray for your husband as I too believe in the power of prayer. GOD can produce miracles! Im so sorry you are in this situation and I just wanted you to know your mel family is thinking of you. Stay strong, this isn’t over. You just need to find the right treatment!
                                      Terrified
                                      Participant

Thank you.

Judy

Terrified
                                        Participant

Thank you.

Judy

Terrified
                                          Participant

Thank you.

Judy

momof4boys
                                          Participant
                                            Hukill
                                            Participant

I will also say a prayer for both of you. When I found out I had 7 mets in my lungs I never question God on why. I was thankful that he did not allow me to have any more mets anywhere else. i truely believe that your husband's fate as well as my own is in God's hands and we don't know the reason why he does what he does. Even though my immunotherapy treatment seems to be working, I also realize God could end my life when ever he chooses to and I am ok with that. I hope your husban has a good reaction to the immunotherapy drugs. Do you know what drugs he will be receiving?

Hukill
                                              Participant

I will also say a prayer for both of you. When I found out I had 7 mets in my lungs I never question God on why. I was thankful that he did not allow me to have any more mets anywhere else. i truely believe that your husband's fate as well as my own is in God's hands and we don't know the reason why he does what he does. Even though my immunotherapy treatment seems to be working, I also realize God could end my life when ever he chooses to and I am ok with that. I hope your husban has a good reaction to the immunotherapy drugs. Do you know what drugs he will be receiving?

Hukill
                                                Participant

Terrified
                                                    Participant

Thank you.

Judy

Terrified
                                                      Participant

Thank you.

Judy

Terrified
                                                        Participant

Thank you.

Judy

marta010
                                                        Participant

Judy – I've been in your shoes (and hospital bedside) with my husband.  He has had 2 craniotomies and recovered readily after each of them.  Do not lose hope.  This is a long battle that must be faced one day at a time.

Is he off the taf/mek?  I'm a little surprised that this has been viewed as a failure so soon since its effectiveness in the brain may be less apparent than in the rest of his body.  I would also ask about the use of Avastin for dealing with any brain edema post surgery.  My husband had a problem with edema after his first crainiotomy that was not responding to steriods and it cleared up after 4 infusions with Avastin.  

Thinking of you and sending prayers.

Ann

marta010
                                                          Participant

Judy – I've been in your shoes (and hospital bedside) with my husband.  He has had 2 craniotomies and recovered readily after each of them.  Do not lose hope.  This is a long battle that must be faced one day at a time.

Is he off the taf/mek?  I'm a little surprised that this has been viewed as a failure so soon since its effectiveness in the brain may be less apparent than in the rest of his body.  I would also ask about the use of Avastin for dealing with any brain edema post surgery.  My husband had a problem with edema after his first crainiotomy that was not responding to steriods and it cleared up after 4 infusions with Avastin.  

Ann

Terrified
                                                              Participant

Ann

The failure of taf/MEK is deemed because of new sub q nodule, new mesentery mets and progression of lung disease.

thanks for reassuring me about the craniotomy and info about Avastin

judy

Terrified
                                                                Participant

Ann

The failure of taf/MEK is deemed because of new sub q nodule, new mesentery mets and progression of lung disease.

judy

Terrified
                                                                  Participant

Ann

judy

marta010
                                                                  Participant

Ann

Scooby123
                                                                    Participant

So sorry praying for you. Hope things improve after treatment. Keep strong.

scooby xx

Scooby123
                                                                      Participant

scooby xx

Terrified
                                                                          Participant

Thank you

Judy

Terrified
                                                                            Participant

Thank you

Judy

Terrified
                                                                              Participant

Thank you

Judy

Scooby123
                                                                              Participant

scooby xx

snow white
                                                                                Participant

Hi Judy.  We just went through this with my Dad about 9 weeks ago.  He had 15 brain mets in his brain, over 20 in his spleen and a few in others in various areas of the body.  He had Gamma Knife on his brain and 4 days later he became almost completely paralyzed from swelling.  He was admitted and given high dose steroids, it didn't take down the swelling. Two days later he had a craniotomy.  He had to have 3 large tumors (one the size of a small lemon)removed.  Surgery went well, he spent one day in ICU, two more days in the hospital after than and then 10 days in rehab facility.  I am happy to say that he is walking, talking, and going about his daily life. He is still somewhat dizzy, and slow (low energy), but over all he is doing great!  He receives his infusion of OPDIVO ever other week and so far so good.  Orginally he was given 4-6 months to live.  Keep the faith, just get through this one step at a time.

Positive thoughts and well wishes coming your way.

Jen

snow white
                                                                                  Participant

Hi Judy.  We just went through this with my Dad about 9 weeks ago.  He had 15 brain mets in his brain, over 20 in his spleen and a few in others in various areas of the body.  He had Gamma Knife on his brain and 4 days later he became almost completely paralyzed from swelling.  He was admitted and given high dose steroids, it didn't take down the swelling. Two days later he had a craniotomy.  He had to have 3 large tumors (one the size of a small lemon)removed.  Surgery went well, he spent one day in ICU, two more days in the hospital after than and then 10 days in rehab facility.  I am happy to say that he is walking, talking, and going about his daily life. He is still somewhat dizzy, and slow (low energy), but over all he is doing great!  He receives his infusion of OPDIVO ever other week and so far so good.  Orginally he was given 4-6 months to live.  Keep the faith, just get through this one step at a time.

Jen

keepthefaith11
                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                        Swelling seems to be a recurring problem for lpts of people, including Judy’s husband. What finally worked for your dad’s swelling to ease up?

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                          Swelling seems to be a recurring problem for lpts of people, including Judy’s husband. What finally worked for your dad’s swelling to ease up?

Annie

snow white
                                                                                          Participant

Hi Annie- The Craiotomy is what finally brought the swelling down.  2 of the 3 larger tumors were "kissing" each other.  Once all three were out, the relief was almost immediate.  He was moving his arms much better just hours after surgery.

snow white
                                                                                            Participant

Hi Annie- The Craiotomy is what finally brought the swelling down.  2 of the 3 larger tumors were "kissing" each other.  Once all three were out, the relief was almost immediate.  He was moving his arms much better just hours after surgery.

snow white
                                                                                              Participant

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                Participant

Annie

snow white
                                                                                                Participant

Jen

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                    Judy, I think craniotomy is a smart way to go. To get rid of some of the pressure in the brain. The brain HAS to be dealt with first and foremost.

Thinking of you. Keep us updated.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      Judy, I think craniotomy is a smart way to go. To get rid of some of the pressure in the brain. The brain HAS to be dealt with first and foremost.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                      Participant

Annie

jennunicorn
                                                                                                        Participant

Sending hugs and positive thoughts for your husband

jennunicorn
                                                                                                          Participant

jennunicorn
                                                                                                            Participant

marta010
                                                                                                              Participant

Judy – thinking of you and your husband today.  Sending prayers for a successful surgery and rapid recovery.  Take care.

Ann

marta010
                                                                                                                Participant

Judy – thinking of you and your husband today.  Sending prayers for a successful surgery and rapid recovery.  Take care.

Ann

marta010
                                                                                                                  Participant

Ann

_Paul_
                                                                                                                    Participant

Judy,

I am praying that the craniotomy will give your husband similar relief to what others have posted and that in hindsight this will be just a large bump (mountain?) on the road

– Paul 

_Paul_
                                                                                                                      Participant

Judy,

I am praying that the craniotomy will give your husband similar relief to what others have posted and that in hindsight this will be just a large bump (mountain?) on the road

– Paul 

_Paul_
                                                                                                                        Participant

Judy,

– Paul 

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                            Judy, how did things go yesterday. Thinking of you.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                                            Participant

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                                              Participant

Annie

Terrified
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Craniotomy went smoothly and no complications. He is thinking clearly! Spontaneous conversations and a sense of humor. Still weak, but despite peritoneal disease, the nausea has also not returned.Moving out of ICU tonite and to start ( not sure if Opdivo or Kettruda) in one week. May off label keep the MEK. Thank you all for your love. 

Vince was upset he didn't get me a Christmas present. I assure him I received the best Christmas present ever- his personality is back!

Judy

Terrified
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Craniotomy went smoothly and no complications. He is thinking clearly! Spontaneous conversations and a sense of humor. Still weak, but despite peritoneal disease, the nausea has also not returned.Moving out of ICU tonite and to start ( not sure if Opdivo or Kettruda) in one week. May off label keep the MEK. Thank you all for your love. 

Vince was upset he didn't get me a Christmas present. I assure him I received the best Christmas present ever- his personality is back!

Judy

Terrified
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Judy

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                        Participant

That's fantastic news Judy! You are so right – what an awesome Christmas present!

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                          Participant

That's fantastic news Judy! You are so right – what an awesome Christmas present!

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                            Participant

– Paul

snow white
                                                                                                                                              Participant

woop woop!  This is fantastic news!!!!!

snow white
                                                                                                                                                Participant

snow white
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

marta010
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Judy – so glad to hear the surgery was a success.  Was thinking about you and hoping this was the case.  Truly a Christmas miracle!

Ann

marta010
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Judy – so glad to hear the surgery was a success.  Was thinking about you and hoping this was the case.  Truly a Christmas miracle!

Ann

marta010
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Ann

Viewing 35 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics