The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Combo Side-effects?

Forums General Melanoma Community Combo Side-effects?

Participant

Hi,

according to UPS, my Mentkist will be arriving tomorrow. So far, I've experienced almost no side-effects from the Trafinlar. 

What have those who are on the combo experienced?  Rash, diarrhea, etc?

Al, how's it going for you?  Did Dr P start you on 1.5 mg 2/day before increasing to 2mg twice daily to check your liver function?

I can't believe that I am scared about this, but I am!

thanks for all advice/experience. 

Karen

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        doro
        Participant

Hi Karen,

My dad has been on the combo for about 6 months. He has found it to be much easier than Zelboraf, which made him very sensitive to the light and generally uncomfortable. His main side effect is low energy. That said, he went on a 4 mile hike the other day and at minimum takes the dog for a daily walk so it hasn't been terribly debilitating fatigue for the most part.

I'm not sure if he did an incremental start but he hasn't had any significant problems with blood work or anything while he has been on it.

Good luck!

NYKaren
            Participant

Thanks, Doro. The online info is a little scary. 

I couldn't even stay on Zel at the whole dose…I was on every NSAID PLUS pain killers..

i feel like a drug mule waiting for that package to come!

all the best,

karen

NYKaren
              Participant

I couldn't even stay on Zel at the whole dose…I was on every NSAID PLUS pain killers..

all the best,

karen

NYKaren
                Participant

all the best,

karen

doro
                Participant

Hi Karen,

My dad has been on the combo for about 6 months. He has found it to be much easier than Zelboraf, which made him very sensitive to the light and generally uncomfortable. His main side effect is low energy. That said, he went on a 4 mile hike the other day and at minimum takes the dog for a daily walk so it hasn't been terribly debilitating fatigue for the most part.

I'm not sure if he did an incremental start but he hasn't had any significant problems with blood work or anything while he has been on it.

Good luck!

doro
                  Participant

Hi Karen,

Good luck!

ecc26
                    Participant

I just started on the combo a week ago. I'm not sure if side effects start immediately or if it takes some time to manifest, but I have no noticable side effects at all. I started both drugs at full strength (no tapering up or starting one first then adding the other) on the same day. One difference (and I'm a bit curious about it) is that with the MEK inhibitor, I'm on 2 mg once a day and your doctor was talking about 2 mg twice a day (starting with 1.5 mg twice a day). Am I being underdosed? MEK has to be refidgerated, which I find a little tedious for the evenings since I can't just pop them into a bottle in my room temp purse to take with me to a movie or some other evening event, but since I'm only on once a day I just take them in the morning.

I was told that the side effects of the combo are less than with either drug by itself so if you're having side effects from the BRAF, they may actually lessen once you begin the MEK. I was also told I needed a baseline ocular exam by an ophthalmologist because the MEK can cause retinal detachment and some other eye problems, and to make sure I tell my doctor if I develop any kind of cough as the MEK can cause lung inflamation- I'm sure you were told the same stuff. But for me, so far so good as far as side effects go.

Good luck, I hope the combo does well for you.

-Eva

Oh, and on the plus side, the MEK pills are TINY. So much easier than the giant BRAF capsules.

ecc26
                      Participant

I just started on the combo a week ago. I'm not sure if side effects start immediately or if it takes some time to manifest, but I have no noticable side effects at all. I started both drugs at full strength (no tapering up or starting one first then adding the other) on the same day. One difference (and I'm a bit curious about it) is that with the MEK inhibitor, I'm on 2 mg once a day and your doctor was talking about 2 mg twice a day (starting with 1.5 mg twice a day). Am I being underdosed? MEK has to be refidgerated, which I find a little tedious for the evenings since I can't just pop them into a bottle in my room temp purse to take with me to a movie or some other evening event, but since I'm only on once a day I just take them in the morning.

I was told that the side effects of the combo are less than with either drug by itself so if you're having side effects from the BRAF, they may actually lessen once you begin the MEK. I was also told I needed a baseline ocular exam by an ophthalmologist because the MEK can cause retinal detachment and some other eye problems, and to make sure I tell my doctor if I develop any kind of cough as the MEK can cause lung inflamation- I'm sure you were told the same stuff. But for me, so far so good as far as side effects go.

-Eva

Oh, and on the plus side, the MEK pills are TINY. So much easier than the giant BRAF capsules.

NYKaren
                          Participant

NO, my mistake on the dosing. It is once/day, and the specialty pharmacy only had the 2 mg. pills, so full strength ahead!

karen

NYKaren
                            Participant

NO, my mistake on the dosing. It is once/day, and the specialty pharmacy only had the 2 mg. pills, so full strength ahead!

karen

NYKaren
                              Participant

karen

NYKaren
                                Participant

karen

NYKaren
                                  Participant

karen

NYKaren
                                    Participant

karen

ecc26
                                    Participant

-Eva

Mat
                                      Participant

Karen, you've probably seen my prior posts.  I've been on the combo since August.  At times (though not since October), I will have some joint pain (hips for me) and pain on the soles on my feet (not the skin).  We're talking relatively minor aches and pains.  I've probably taken Advil a handful of days.  Regarding the schedule, I elected to take the MEK at night and have stuck with that.  Regarding Eva's post, 2mg (one pill) once a day is the standard dose.  I also wouldn't worry too much about having a MEK pill out of the fridge for a few hours.

Mat
                                        Participant

Karen, you've probably seen my prior posts.  I've been on the combo since August.  At times (though not since October), I will have some joint pain (hips for me) and pain on the soles on my feet (not the skin).  We're talking relatively minor aches and pains.  I've probably taken Advil a handful of days.  Regarding the schedule, I elected to take the MEK at night and have stuck with that.  Regarding Eva's post, 2mg (one pill) once a day is the standard dose.  I also wouldn't worry too much about having a MEK pill out of the fridge for a few hours.

awillett1991
                                            Participant

Karen, 

definitely recheck that dose. I checked the bottle and it was 2 mg once a day. So hoping it works for you!!

amy

awillett1991
                                              Participant

Karen, 

definitely recheck that dose. I checked the bottle and it was 2 mg once a day. So hoping it works for you!!

amy

NYKaren
                                                Participant

Again, sorry about that dosing mistake. THAT'S why I insisted on an MRI a week early.  I worry way too much, then make too many mistakes. 

NYKaren
                                                  Participant

Again, sorry about that dosing mistake. THAT'S why I insisted on an MRI a week early.  I worry way too much, then make too many mistakes. 

Johnfdc7
                                                    Participant

Hi Karen

I added the MEK (Mekinist) to the BRAF (Tafinlar) 4.5 months ago after being on the BRAF alone for 8 months. Adding the MEK improved the side effects of the BRAF alone – skin problems, lower joint pain, However I have had a few episodes of high temperatures/fevers/chills. This is quite common with the combo – most people experience one episode and that's it. Most oncologists will be able to deal with it and move on. Tends to happen after 3-5 weeks on MEK. A small percentage of people have more than one episode – I was put on prednisilone after most recent episode and that was effective. Have tapered off now so hoping to be OK without it as combo is working well still.

John

Johnfdc7
                                                      Participant

Hi Karen

I added the MEK (Mekinist) to the BRAF (Tafinlar) 4.5 months ago after being on the BRAF alone for 8 months. Adding the MEK improved the side effects of the BRAF alone – skin problems, lower joint pain, However I have had a few episodes of high temperatures/fevers/chills. This is quite common with the combo – most people experience one episode and that's it. Most oncologists will be able to deal with it and move on. Tends to happen after 3-5 weeks on MEK. A small percentage of people have more than one episode – I was put on prednisilone after most recent episode and that was effective. Have tapered off now so hoping to be OK without it as combo is working well still.

John

Johnfdc7
                                                        Participant

Hi Karen

John

NYKaren
                                                          Participant

awillett1991
                                                            Participant

Karen, 

amy

Mat
                                                            Participant

MattF
                                                              Participant

I started Tafinlar on 5 Dec

and Mek on 12 Dec 2mg 1/day evening.

The Mek definitely made me a little dizzy so i think evening works best. 

Mostly i am feeling some fatigue.,..headache

I really just started so i am interested in keeping this thread going and see what happens.

Matt

MattF
                                                                Participant

I really just started so i am interested in keeping this thread going and see what happens.

Matt

MattF
                                                                  Participant

Matt

Aussielyn
                                                                    Participant

Hi Karen, I have been on the combo since early August. For the first 6 weeks I only had hot, red soles of my feet & red hands & aching legs – usually in the evening & not bad enough to require paracetamol. I was able to exercise & live my life as I had done before treatment. However things became worse around the 6 week mark with temperatures, dehydration & shocking nerve like pain in my legs & feet.  At this time I also had mouth ulcers . I had a break from both meds & then resumed on a reduced dose of debrafenib (200 mg a day) along with mek & prednisone. I've had intermittent calf muscle spasms & ankle joint pain.

At the moment I feel really well  – am tapering off prednisone 1 mg each week (am now on 4mg).  Hopefully all side effects will be gone . My 3 month PET scan showed all tumours disappeared & no new ones. I hope you have minimal side effects & an excellent response. Best of luck – overall, the treatment is very do- able!!

Best wishes, Lyn 

Aussielyn
                                                                      Participant

Hi Karen, I have been on the combo since early August. For the first 6 weeks I only had hot, red soles of my feet & red hands & aching legs – usually in the evening & not bad enough to require paracetamol. I was able to exercise & live my life as I had done before treatment. However things became worse around the 6 week mark with temperatures, dehydration & shocking nerve like pain in my legs & feet.  At this time I also had mouth ulcers . I had a break from both meds & then resumed on a reduced dose of debrafenib (200 mg a day) along with mek & prednisone. I've had intermittent calf muscle spasms & ankle joint pain.

At the moment I feel really well  – am tapering off prednisone 1 mg each week (am now on 4mg).  Hopefully all side effects will be gone . My 3 month PET scan showed all tumours disappeared & no new ones. I hope you have minimal side effects & an excellent response. Best of luck – overall, the treatment is very do- able!!

Best wishes, Lyn 

Aussielyn
                                                                        Participant

Best wishes, Lyn 

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics