The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Christine Schrader

Forums General Melanoma Community Christine Schrader

Participant

Christine is gone; my dear friend is gone.  She was my closest OM companion, consultant, supporter, and commiserator during the 7 years we traveled this awful trail together.  We each knew that the other truly understood.  We didn't have to worry about withholding the truth to protect the other.  We each knew the truth and could, and did, approach and work with that truth in utter honesty.

Christine is gone; my dear friend is gone.  She was my closest OM companion, consultant, supporter, and commiserator during the 7 years we traveled this awful trail together.  We each knew that the other truly understood.  We didn't have to worry about withholding the truth to protect the other.  We each knew the truth and could, and did, approach and work with that truth in utter honesty.

We both relied entirely on science, the scientific approach, and scientific research.  We shared and discussed every new paper we came across.  Christine was terrific at tearing apart these studies:  not good enough controls, dosage too low, results wouldn't generalize to OM, etc., etc.  Neither of us was trained in any medical field; Christine didn't even have a college education.  We taught ourselves; we shared our confusions and shared the answers we found.  She was one of the smartest people I have ever known.

Once we impudently attended a conference at NIH on cancer immunotherapies, a conference meant for medical researchers.  We flew in, met at the airport, shared a room, and went under the titles of "Dr. so-and-so."  We heard a multitude of papers, and learned a lot, but she learned more than I.

Christine generously gave of her knowledge to those who asked.  Countless others have benefitted from her big heart, marvelous brain, and vast wisdom.

Christine was the first person to join the pina colada trial, and we both celebrated with a pina colada every time we met.  Who knows, maybe it was the pina coladas and the scientific research combined that kept her alive long past the grim 6-month prognosis.  I will miss her terribly.

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        andeglasmacher
        Participant

I am so, so sorry, Esther.  I remember Christine from a few years ago when I was first diagnosed, and both of you have been inspirations to me when I've feared the worst, and could see you both facing everything courageously.   My heart goes out to you…..

andeglasmacher
          Participant

I am so, so sorry, Esther.  I remember Christine from a few years ago when I was first diagnosed, and both of you have been inspirations to me when I've feared the worst, and could see you both facing everything courageously.   My heart goes out to you…..

andeglasmacher
            Participant

Nan in Nebraska
              Participant

Esther, I am so saddened to hear about Christine. She was such a fighter and inspiration to us all.

My condolences to her family and friends. RIP Christine.

Nan

Nan in Nebraska
                Participant

Esther, I am so saddened to hear about Christine. She was such a fighter and inspiration to us all.

Nan

Nan in Nebraska
                  Participant

Nan

lak
                    Participant

I m so saddened by this news. Christine was a bright shining light in the dark world of OM. She definatley guided my way which has resulted in a lengthed life with stage IV.

My thoughts are with her family and her OM friends

Lesley

lak
                      Participant

I m so saddened by this news. Christine was a bright shining light in the dark world of OM. She definatley guided my way which has resulted in a lengthed life with stage IV.

Lesley

lak
                        Participant

Lesley

dwcowing
                          Participant

Oh, Esther, I am so sorry. Christine sounds like a wonderful person and a wonderful friend. 

Deborah Cowing

margaretrogers57
                              Participant

So very sorry to hear this news, Esther.  You both have been such a help and inspiration to Butch and I since we learned he had mets.  RIP, christine.  margaret

margaretrogers57
                                Participant

So very sorry to hear this news, Esther.  You both have been such a help and inspiration to Butch and I since we learned he had mets.  RIP, christine.  margaret

margaretrogers57
                                  Participant

dwcowing
                                  Participant

Oh, Esther, I am so sorry. Christine sounds like a wonderful person and a wonderful friend. 

Deborah Cowing

dwcowing
                                    Participant

Deborah Cowing

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics