The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Chemotherapy Treatment for Advanced Melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Chemotherapy Treatment for Advanced Melanoma

• Replies
      Jerry from Cape Cod
      Participant

It's a Jan 2010 story (not too bad) but the sources are from 2004 and 1996.  Good for general info but kind of light weight general writing

Jerry from Cape Cod
        Participant

It's a Jan 2010 story (not too bad) but the sources are from 2004 and 1996.  Good for general info but kind of light weight general writing

Lisa13
            Participant

Thanks for posting this!  I start dacarbazine on Friday. I've had no first line treatment yet, so this is where I must begin.  I refuse to go into my first chemo session with the attitude that this will fail, so I hope to post later on my success story.  Apparently it works best with low tumor burden which is what I have. IPI would be next, but I hope I don't have to use it for awhile.

Lisa – Stage 4 lung mets

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

Lisa, I like your positive attitude! I think that having an optimistic frame of mind is
                essential when one is undergoing any type of treatment.

Wishing you the best of luck on Friday.

Frank from Australia

Lisa13
                Participant

Hi Frank,

My 19 month old daughter is giving me that optimism 🙂   I'm happy to be starting something so soon and thankful that melanoma is making remarkable progress in research and medicine.

Thanks for the luck – much appreciated.

Lisa

Lisa13
                  Participant

Hi Frank,

My 19 month old daughter is giving me that optimism 🙂   I'm happy to be starting something so soon and thankful that melanoma is making remarkable progress in research and medicine.

Thanks for the luck – much appreciated.

Lisa

FormerCaregiver
                    Participant

Lisa, I like your positive attitude! I think that having an optimistic frame of mind is
                      essential when one is undergoing any type of treatment.

Wishing you the best of luck on Friday.

Frank from Australia

PeterS
                      Participant

Lisa,

I hope you are coping OK with the DTIC treatment!  Lots of strength the coming months.

Did you test BRAF negative?

Peter, Stage 4

PeterS
                        Participant

Lisa,

I hope you are coping OK with the DTIC treatment!  Lots of strength the coming months.

Did you test BRAF negative?

Peter, Stage 4

shellebrownies
                          Participant

Lisa,

My husband's first treatment was also chemo. His mel is extremely aggressive and even though he was BRAF positive, his liver functions weren't high enough to get him into the trial. The chemo was a hopeful stopgap to get the situation under control so he might get into a compassionate use trial.

He had his first treatment on May 28th, a combo of carboplatin and paclitaxel. 

When he went back for his 2 week follow up, his doctor was shocked and amazed at his response: the tumor under his arm shrank from softball sized to 2 marbles. His LDH levels dropped 75%. He had such a stunning response that his doctor is keeping him on the chemo instead of enrolling him in a trial (the BRAF drugs will still be there, but he wants to stick with what's working).

It could happen to you, too, Lisa! I will pray that it does. : )

Michelle, wife of Don

Lisa13
                            Participant

I've been on DTIC since Friday and up until yesterday, was feeling okay. Now I have alot of flu like symptoms – sweating, chills, aches and general fatigue. No nausea or vomiting and I can still do some simple stuff around the house. 

My melanoma is growing slowly and I have low tumour burden in my lungs – all under 1cm.  My onc. said that DTIC often shows more activity when there is low tumour burden, so here's hoping. I'll have another session on July 12 and then scans a week later. Luckily I'll only have to wait  6 weeks in total to see if this is working.  My LDH is normal, so I hope it continues that way.

I tested negative for BRAF but my tumour is being tested against other mutations. If my current treatment doesn't work, then I'll go onto ipi.  

Lisa

boot2aboot
                              Participant

i do combo chemo of CVD…and it is kicking my ass…bad…the mel i have is very aggressive and onc thought immunotherapy would take too long…trying to set me up for clinical trial or immuno…hope this hell is worth it.

boots

diagnosed april 2011 stage 3

stage4 june 2011..liver, lung and other mets

boot2aboot
                                Participant

i can't poop, and lots of fatigue…nausia so bad i had to get hospitalized and get fluids…

boot2aboot
                                  Participant

i can't poop, and lots of fatigue…nausia so bad i had to get hospitalized and get fluids…

FormerCaregiver
                                    Participant

Boots, I am sorry to read that you are having a tough time with the combo chemo. Perhaps a
                                      single drug such as DTIC would be better, as it is a bit less toxic with similar efficacy.

Take care.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                      Participant

Boots, I am sorry to read that you are having a tough time with the combo chemo. Perhaps a
                                        single drug such as DTIC would be better, as it is a bit less toxic with similar efficacy.

Take care.

Frank from Australia

boot2aboot
                                        Participant

i do combo chemo of CVD…and it is kicking my ass…bad…the mel i have is very aggressive and onc thought immunotherapy would take too long…trying to set me up for clinical trial or immuno…hope this hell is worth it.

boots

diagnosed april 2011 stage 3

stage4 june 2011..liver, lung and other mets

Lisa13
                                          Participant

I've been on DTIC since Friday and up until yesterday, was feeling okay. Now I have alot of flu like symptoms – sweating, chills, aches and general fatigue. No nausea or vomiting and I can still do some simple stuff around the house. 

My melanoma is growing slowly and I have low tumour burden in my lungs – all under 1cm.  My onc. said that DTIC often shows more activity when there is low tumour burden, so here's hoping. I'll have another session on July 12 and then scans a week later. Luckily I'll only have to wait  6 weeks in total to see if this is working.  My LDH is normal, so I hope it continues that way.

I tested negative for BRAF but my tumour is being tested against other mutations. If my current treatment doesn't work, then I'll go onto ipi.  

Lisa

shellebrownies
                                            Participant

Lisa,

My husband's first treatment was also chemo. His mel is extremely aggressive and even though he was BRAF positive, his liver functions weren't high enough to get him into the trial. The chemo was a hopeful stopgap to get the situation under control so he might get into a compassionate use trial.

He had his first treatment on May 28th, a combo of carboplatin and paclitaxel. 

When he went back for his 2 week follow up, his doctor was shocked and amazed at his response: the tumor under his arm shrank from softball sized to 2 marbles. His LDH levels dropped 75%. He had such a stunning response that his doctor is keeping him on the chemo instead of enrolling him in a trial (the BRAF drugs will still be there, but he wants to stick with what's working).

It could happen to you, too, Lisa! I will pray that it does. : )

Michelle, wife of Don

Lisa13
                                              Participant

Thanks for posting this!  I start dacarbazine on Friday. I've had no first line treatment yet, so this is where I must begin.  I refuse to go into my first chemo session with the attitude that this will fail, so I hope to post later on my success story.  Apparently it works best with low tumor burden which is what I have. IPI would be next, but I hope I don't have to use it for awhile.

Lisa – Stage 4 lung mets

Viewing 1 reply thread
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics