The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Checking in…

Forums General Melanoma Community Checking in…

Participant

Hi guys! Its been awhile and I hope this finds you all kicking some melanoma butt! I'm still healing from the skin graft (I had a setback when the donor site opened WAY up and it was full thickness graft, it was infected so the decision was made not to close it, a 4 inch wide by 1.5 inch thick cut takes a while to heal without sutures!!). The actual graft on my head is still healing but getting close to being done with it (I think). I notice that it is shrinking and what started out about the size of a silver dollar is now about the size of a quarter.

Since the WLE, SNLB, and graft I have been assigned to Dr. Amaria at MDA for medical oncology although at IIc there were only two options: Interferon Alpha (no thanks, and Dr. Amaria concurred) and a trial that I was going to miss due to time since surgery and when the study starts.

The genetic testing has been completed and I am BRAF positive, so if recurrence happens I will be armed with that knowledge (actually MDA will be armed with it).

No real news on this end except I apologize for being away from the boards for so long. I have been living life and trying to enjoy every day. This brief journey definitely made a mark on me (and not just the scars!) so I have been reprioritizing many things in my life to slow them down a little, relax a lot, and just take it all in.

My first round of post-surgery scans (CT and MRI) are in about 3 weeks so I'm hoping for the first all clear of what will be many, many scans over the next several years.

Fight on Warriors!!

Tex

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Marksa2570
        Participant

Glad to hear all is well Tex.  Always great to hear from you.  Keep fighting the good fight!      

Christine.P
          Participant

Thanks for the update, Tex. I'm sorry to hear about your post-op struggles but glad to hear you seem to be moving in the right direction. Wishing you the best as you head toward your scans and keeping my fingers crossed you have good results.

stars
            Participant

Thanks for the update, Tex. Upbeat as ever! The wound thing sounds kind of dramatic… glad the worst of it is behind you.

raun cesar
              Participant

Great to know Tex, and wish you all the best for the scans.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics