The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Checking In

Forums General Melanoma Community Checking In

Participant

Hi everybody!

Historically I haven't posted as regularly as some here, but I know there are a few of you who have been following my progress. I haven't been on in a while and I thought I'd check in with an update.

There's not much going on with me at the moment. My last scans at NIH, as I related a little over a month ago, were encouraging. Brain mets were resolving after radiation, the lymph nodes in my chest were stable, and two other non-target lesions were stable. Most importantly there was nothing new. My next scans are scheduled for a month from now.

My biggest problem since being discharged from the hospital post TIL trial has been nausea and appetite. I was down about 25 pounds after treatment, and in the past 3 months or so I have lost another 25. I needed to lose a few pounds, 25-30, but this was a little much. A month ago I saw my PCP and he cut my blood pressure medicine and metformin doses in half. He pondered stopping the metformin entirely but decided not to. My last A1C was 5.9%. Not great but not bad, either.

After trying several things, at the beginning of last week I decided to stop taking metformin. Within 24 hours my appetite had begun to rebound. Now, after a week and a half there's no more nausea and my appetite has  largely returned to normal.

So that's what's up with me. I hope everyone is enjoying their fall. I hear some cancer centers are offering pumpkin spice Opdivo and Keytruda for the season. 😉

-Bill

Viewing 9 reply threads
    • Replies
        VinceMart
        Participant

HI Bill,

Glad you are feeling better.  I am currently trying to get in to the NIH trail and have an initial appointment next week.  I was wondering if you would mind if I emailed you and asked some questions regarding the timeline for your treament.  I looked over your posts and see it was approx 3 months from start to finish but had a few specific questions on timing if you would be willing to provide.  I am trying to be proactive for preparing for what I will be able to do based on recovery time frame, etc.

Thanks and glad to hear your are stable and feeling better.

Vince

mrsaxde
            Participant

Hi Vince. I'd be glad to share anything I can about my experience at NIH. Because of all the spam on this board I don't want to put my main email out there, but you can email me at [email protected] and I'll respond from my main address.

-Bill

VinceMart
              Participant

Thanks Bill,  I really appreciate it.  Sent you an email with subject line stating from vinc e nih

mrsaxde
                Participant

Hi Vince, I discovered only this morning that after I forwarded your email from my gmail account to my regular  account and answered you…I had actually sent my answer to my gmail account. You should have it now. Let me know if you didn't get it.

-Bill

BrianP
                Participant

Bill,

Thanks for the update.  So glad things seem to be trending in positive directions on all fronts.  Hope the good news continues.  I think you might be on to something with the pumpkin spiced PD-1s.

Brian

lkb
                  Participant

Pumpkin spice? Sure beats the dirty-penny taste I sometimes get from Nivo. Wishing you more encouraging scans and much enjoyment of your returning appetite.

ed williams
                    Participant

Hi Bill, glad to hear things are good!!! Not sure that I want to try your weight loss program!!!  I really think you are on to something with the flavour idea, one for every season!!! Best Wishes!!!Ed

Bubbles
                      Participant

That's great, Bill.  Glad you found the "cure" your nausea and wt loss!!!  Keep on trucking!  Love, c

Mat
                        Participant

Great news Bill—stable disease is a good place to be.

Momofjake
                          Participant

Bill,

All good news! Thanks for the update. Always good to hear how you are doing and even better when things are going wel. Happy you completed the TIL trial and praying for lasting results!!!!

Kerri

MelanomaMike
                            Participant
                              Hello to you Bill, we may have responded to eachother way back when i first started here late last year/early this year (im still a Newbie here at MRF! HAHA) but anyways, good to hear your stable & posting your current situation. As far as your Apetite is concerned, has your team ever considered Megace? aka Magestrol? Im soooo goo goo gaga over it because it once SAVED my Life after a bout (a 12 day bout) of NO APPETITE what-so-ever 6 days after my first Yervoy & Opdivo infusion. Within 48hrs or less (4 table spoons of it) i was eating again! I lost about 20lbs or so, actually needed that 20 to come off but, not that way! Haha..look into it, i call it a God Send..take care brother..
                                mrsaxde
                                Participant

Mike, my wife, who is an RN, brought up Megace with me a couple of weeks ago, but that was before I stopped taking metformin and saw a great deal of improvement in my appetite. So I'm hoping we have things under control. It's good to hear that Megace does the job if I wind up needing it!

-Bill

Mark_DC
                                Participant

Hi Bill

thanks for posting again, have been following how you are

am glad that you are doing well (stable is good) and hope the next scans will be pretty good too and show some further improvement would be amazing

best wishes Mark

bjeans
                                  Participant

Hi Bill – so glad you checked back in and are doing better. No pumpkin spice Opdivo with a side order of Ipi at my husband’s center, but the institution it’s part offers autumnal acupuncture, which he’s doing for some help with a gut issue. The NIH notes a bunch of side effects it can help with, and it can’t hurt, plus our insurance covers it. (And it worked wonders for our dog’s hurt shoulder.)

Beth

Viewing 9 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics