The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Checking in

Forums General Melanoma Community Checking in

Participant

Greetings

Just wanted to stop in and say hello.  Name is Mike from near Princeton NJ and turned stage 3B back in 2004 after a stage 1A diagnosis back in 1999.  Working as a chemical engineer and hope to retire next year.

Went to high school with George R R Martin who wrote Game of Thrones.  We were in the chess club back then but he was no match for me!

So far all is still well with me since then after axilla dissection, radiation, and clinical trial back at UPMC with peptide vaccine called Mel43.

Back when I progressed to stage 3B, the mpip chat room was a literal life saver.  Every evening, after work, I got to know many of my colleagues with this disease and we supported each other every night as we chatted about everything, melanoma related or otherwise.  Not sure where the chat went, but it was really dynamic back then.

Some of us did OK and others were not so fortunate and I was thinking about a few members earlier today.  I recall a brave woman form the UK named Imo, who joined us in chat frequently,  and I remember her last post "Off I go", as she was traveling somewhere to get treatment and that was her last post.  There were many others though that beat the odds. 

Wishing all the new patients and those battling this for a while the best and hope you all well.

Mike K

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies

Hi Mike from NJ.  I went to WPI and some of my best friends are chemical engineers but alas I am a biochemist who now works in IT informatics at a local biopharma company.  It works well as I speak scientist and translate for the IT team.  Thanks for posting.  It is uplifting to hear from you.

Good wishes to you,

Jennifer

mike_nj
          Participant

Hi Jennifer

I guess we have simialr type backgrounds.  Good luck to you as well with treatments and scans.  

I have not had a chest X ray in a few years but getting one soon I think.   Ah, the joy of scans.  I rewrote lyrics for "I'm waiting for my man" to "I'm waiting for my scan" and can play the chords on guitar.

My wifes 91 year old uncle is getting a wLE for in situ this week on his back.

Take care

Mike K

Linny
          Participant

So nice to hear from a long time Stage III survivor! indeed, this forum has been a life saver for many. 

I think we are all witnessing a turnaround with this disease. I am almost 8 years out from my diagnosis and the changes haven been amazing.

BTW, I used to work near Princeton! Right on Route 1 and am originally from NJ. 

mike_nj
              Participant

Linny

There are a fair number of us long time survivors around.  I hope the momentum with the turnaround stays strong until there is a cure.

Every day I go on route 1.  Get gas at the Sunoco at the corner of Harrison

Cheers

Mike K

Linny
                Participant

You travel daily on Route 1? My condolences to you. LOL. I used to work at Route 1 and Ridge Rd and also used to go to that gas station you mentioned. Small world! But then, NJ is not that big.

My gut tells me they are close to making this a manageable disease with a cure not too far behind. 

MMH
                Participant

Hi Mike! I am relatively new to the forum, and your post made me smile, hearing that you are doing well and spreading the hope to all of us. I was recently diagnosed Stage 1 spitzoid Melanoma. I have good days where I go about my business as usual, and I have bad days like today when the worry consumes me. Thank you for being a part of the forum. Your message helped me today.   

mike_nj
                    Participant

Hi MMH

Hang in there.  I recall when I was stage 1A I was very worried until you just get sick of worrying.  Then when I was stage 3B, the worry returned but not as strong as the beginning.  I think it has to do with with confronting our mortality for the first time with the original DX, especially if your health is good otherwise.

I tried to do stuff to keep my mind off the negative stuff which can help (reading, online chess, guitar) but, as I said in my original post, the old chat room was the place tro be to let off some steam and unwind.

Cheers,

Mike K

MelanomaMike
                    Participant
                      Nice to meet you Mike, im Mike to..Boy, you’ve been here at MRF for a minute havnt you? (checked your bio)..My brother inlaw lives in Jersey, forget where & my wife is napping to ask..Thank you for stopping by! Mike (stage 4 Lungs)
                        mike_nj
                        Participant

Hi Mike

Keep fighting and best wishes going forward.  Hoping that you and your doctors come up with a way to beat the lung disease.

yes, MRF is a good thing for all of us.  Best way to learn what others are doing and to get advice.  I started a supplement regiment from things I learned here back then.

Take care.

Mike K

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics