The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Carbo/Taxol or IPI?

Forums General Melanoma Community Carbo/Taxol or IPI?

Participant

Hi All,

My hubby started on chemo this week, Monday. My question is how quickly does it normally show results after 1 treatment?

He has a lot of sub-q mets on his back and chest, and we felt they were starting to shrink before the treatment on Monday although the doctor felt IPI had not been successfull in any way because his internal tumours had grown so much.

Now however , almost all of the sub-q's on his back and arms are starting to flatten out and get smaller. I noticed it on Tuesday and thought there is no way it's the chemo working this fast?

Hi All,

My hubby started on chemo this week, Monday. My question is how quickly does it normally show results after 1 treatment?

He has a lot of sub-q mets on his back and chest, and we felt they were starting to shrink before the treatment on Monday although the doctor felt IPI had not been successfull in any way because his internal tumours had grown so much.

Now however , almost all of the sub-q's on his back and arms are starting to flatten out and get smaller. I noticed it on Tuesday and thought there is no way it's the chemo working this fast?

Would love to hear others thoughts and/or experiences?

thanks,

Em

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        Carmon in NM
        Participant

I haven't tried ipi but I did a trial combining carbo taxol and temodar over the winter. After one infusion the right adrenal lesion had shrunk by 53%. At the end of the six week trial the lesion was gone and so far no recurrance.

These were six 28 day cycles.

Carmon in NM
          Participant

I haven't tried ipi but I did a trial combining carbo taxol and temodar over the winter. After one infusion the right adrenal lesion had shrunk by 53%. At the end of the six week trial the lesion was gone and so far no recurrance.

Carmon in NM
            Participant

lyndaloo
              Participant

My hubby has finished two rounds of decarbazine chemo and we have noticed a couple of his surface  lumps have shrunk somewhat and flattened out a bit. He is scheduled for the ipi trial next month, he was required to do two rounds of chemo first to see if this would work. He hasn't had his scan yet to see the internal results.  I am wondering if you are a possible late responder to the ipi, when did you complete the ipi, was it four infusions three weeks apart?  Regardless, this is great news!!

lyndaloo
                Participant

My hubby has finished two rounds of decarbazine chemo and we have noticed a couple of his surface  lumps have shrunk somewhat and flattened out a bit. He is scheduled for the ipi trial next month, he was required to do two rounds of chemo first to see if this would work. He hasn't had his scan yet to see the internal results.  I am wondering if you are a possible late responder to the ipi, when did you complete the ipi, was it four infusions three weeks apart?  Regardless, this is great news!!

lyndaloo
                  Participant

Cooper
                    Participant

When we were given options we found that carbo taxol had no research showing it did much for melanoma.  IPI however showed 20% response in hundreds of patients.  So we did that and have had good luck so far with it. It works on the immune system whereas carbo/taxol is a chemo working against the whole body.

Cooper
                      Participant

When we were given options we found that carbo taxol had no research showing it did much for melanoma.  IPI however showed 20% response in hundreds of patients.  So we did that and have had good luck so far with it. It works on the immune system whereas carbo/taxol is a chemo working against the whole body.

Cooper
                        Participant

jim Breitfeller
                          Participant

Em,

Your oncologist is wrong!!!! 

your Hubby took the 4th dose of Ipilimumab (Yervoy)  September 6, 2011. That was 84 days since the start of Ipi therapy.

Today  10-7-11 would be another 30 days. So 84 + 30 = 114 days.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Bkp8ysLnlCY/ToXuykM4MVI/AAAAAAAAAgs/BRXLG5_YwfM/s1600/Yervoy%2BProtocol%2B2011.jpg

Your doctor did not give the immune system enough time to mount an attack on the tumors. (see the graph with the time line.)

If it was me, I would HOLD on the chemo. IT could kill the T-cells along with the Immune response.

Best regards,

Jimmy b

emilypen
                              Participant

Hi Jim,

We spoke with our oncologist and one other about whether or not to wait before trying the carbo/taxol combo becasue we too thought that IPI might need more time.

Both opinions were the similar, and although they did not rule out response to IPI, the major concern they both had was life expectancy and if IPI did not kick in he may only have a 4-8 weeks. Which may have made him too sick or not here, to handle the chemo if we waited.

Both doctors said that they felt the chemo worked on a different pathway then the IPI and would not effect a late reponse to IPI.

While we know that chemo is not hugely succesfull we were hoping it would at least give more time if the IPI did not work.

The one thing that both docs used a tool to say there were afraid IPI was not working was his lymphocyte count it started at a decent number before IPI then rose after the first infusion, then dropped steadily from then on. It is currently very low.

Is there any research that backs up a low lymph counts and a response to ipi?

thanks,

Emily

jim Breitfeller
                                Participant

Emily,

Something shut down the expansion of the (ALC) Absolute Lymphocyte count.

It could have be the upregulation of the PD-1 making the CD8+ T-cell exhausted. Anti-PD-1 would reverse the suppression.

Or could be the tumors secreting Galectin-3 which cobinds to ZAP 70 and makes the TCR complex unstable. The (TCR) T cell Receptor plays a major roll in the immune response. It is (Signal 1) with an tumor antigen. With out that signal, the activation is dead in the water.

There is a possibility that there was not enough Tumor-specific antigens to go around to help activate the T-cells. It is possible that the chemo regime may help shed the tumor antigens.

When will his next scan be?

Best regards,

Jimmy B

If Only I was a Doc. I would check out my hyothisis, and trying adding anti-PD-1 and Anti-GAL-3 . on some of his tumor cells, and see what happens.

jim Breitfeller
                                  Participant

Emily,

It could have be the upregulation of the PD-1 making the CD8+ T-cell exhausted. Anti-PD-1 would reverse the suppression.

Or could be the tumors secreting Galectin-3 which cobinds to ZAP 70 and makes the TCR complex unstable. The (TCR) T cell Receptor plays a major roll in the immune response. It is (Signal 1) with an tumor antigen. With out that signal, the activation is dead in the water.

There is a possibility that there was not enough Tumor-specific antigens to go around to help activate the T-cells. It is possible that the chemo regime may help shed the tumor antigens.

Best regards,

Jimmy B

If Only I was a Doc. I would check out my hyothisis, and trying adding anti-PD-1 and Anti-GAL-3 . on some of his tumor cells, and see what happens.

jim Breitfeller
                                    Participant

Emily,

Best regards,

Jimmy B

Lisa13
                                      Participant

I tend to agree with Jimmy – that he is perhaps a late responder of ipi. This drug is still in trials, so I don't think Dr's know 100% what to expect. Maybe your husbands internal mets have grown, but perhaps ipi has worked it's magic on the sub q's instead?

If your Dr suspects it's the chemo, then let's hope this helps with tumour burden to get him into another trial.

Sending you best wishes and lots or prayers.

Lisa

Lisa13
                                        Participant

I tend to agree with Jimmy – that he is perhaps a late responder of ipi. This drug is still in trials, so I don't think Dr's know 100% what to expect. Maybe your husbands internal mets have grown, but perhaps ipi has worked it's magic on the sub q's instead?

If your Dr suspects it's the chemo, then let's hope this helps with tumour burden to get him into another trial.

Lisa

Lisa13
                                          Participant

Lisa

Cooper
                                            Participant

Jimmy, If you were a doc maybe you could spell "hypothesis"  I wouldn't go so far to say someone's doc was right or wrong.  That really isn't our place here, but to support them to learn more and use the doc as a consultant.  Lots of unknowns with these new drugs that's for sure.

jim Breitfeller
                                              Participant

I am so sorry you feel that way.

I call it like I see it. I am not here to sugar-coat things, I am here to educate and help save lives. If they want to take my information so be it, if not that is ok too. YOU have to live with your decision.

Have you ever seen doctors make major mistakes? I have, and it has cost patients dearly. In my opinion, 86  days of yervoy tharapy is to short of a timespan to stop the therapy based on clinical data. (The delayed response associated with Yervoy).

At least I don't hide behind the word Anonymous. I am not afraid to standup and fight for what I believe in. Do not  throw rocks in the glass building, you may only hurt yourself.

jim Breitfeller
                                                Participant

I call it like I see it. I am not here to sugar-coat things, I am here to educate and help save lives. If they want to take my information so be it, if not that is ok too. YOU have to live with your decision.

Have you ever seen doctors make major mistakes? I have, and it has cost patients dearly. In my opinion, 86  days of yervoy tharapy is to short of a timespan to stop the therapy based on clinical data. (The delayed response associated with Yervoy).

At least I don't hide behind the word Anonymous. I am not afraid to standup and fight for what I believe in. Do not  throw rocks in the glass building, you may only hurt yourself.

jim Breitfeller
                                                  Participant

Cooper
                                                    Participant

Everyone is anonymous here, they just haven't made up clever names.  Not a big deal when you look at the whole picture. You're not a doc and shouldn't be advising folks like a doctor, but with suggestions that perhaps you know are true. I think your intentions are probably good but even the experts can be wrong as well as you.

jim Breitfeller
                                                      Participant

winkassessment needs:

• Tumour response to YERVOY™ should be assessed only after completion of induction therapy, 12 weeks after treatment initiation to allow YERVOY™ time to trigger an anti-tumour immune response (1,2,4)
                                                        • Tumour response assessment prior to this time may fail to detect the delayed tumour responses characteristic of YERVOY™, resulting in some responses being mistaken for progressive disease and potentially premature discontinuation of treatment. (2,3)
                                                        • In the pivotal trial, further assessments were performed at week 16 and 24 and every 3 months thereafter. (4)
                                                        • Source:http://www.bms.se/se/onkologi/yervoy/efficacy/Specific-patterns-of-response/
                                                        jim Breitfeller
                                                        Participant

winkassessment needs:

• Tumour response to YERVOY™ should be assessed only after completion of induction therapy, 12 weeks after treatment initiation to allow YERVOY™ time to trigger an anti-tumour immune response (1,2,4)
                                                          • Tumour response assessment prior to this time may fail to detect the delayed tumour responses characteristic of YERVOY™, resulting in some responses being mistaken for progressive disease and potentially premature discontinuation of treatment. (2,3)
                                                          • In the pivotal trial, further assessments were performed at week 16 and 24 and every 3 months thereafter. (4)
                                                          • Source:http://www.bms.se/se/onkologi/yervoy/efficacy/Specific-patterns-of-response/
                                                          jim Breitfeller
                                                          Participant

yessmiley

Jimmy is right. Bristol Myer Squibb's own site  states at week 16 was where the pivotal trial evaluated the patients.

Go jimmy go!!!!!

A Stage IV Yervoy Survivor

jim Breitfeller
                                                            Participant

yessmiley

Jimmy is right. Bristol Myer Squibb's own site  states at week 16 was where the pivotal trial evaluated the patients.

Go jimmy go!!!!!

jim Breitfeller
                                                              Participant

yessmiley

Go jimmy go!!!!!

jim Breitfeller
                                                                Participant

winkassessment needs:

Cooper
                                                                  Participant

Everyone is anonymous here, they just haven't made up clever names.  Not a big deal when you look at the whole picture. You're not a doc and shouldn't be advising folks like a doctor, but with suggestions that perhaps you know are true. I think your intentions are probably good but even the experts can be wrong as well as you.

Cooper
                                                                    Participant

Cooper
                                                                      Participant

Jimmy, If you were a doc maybe you could spell "hypothesis"  I wouldn't go so far to say someone's doc was right or wrong.  That really isn't our place here, but to support them to learn more and use the doc as a consultant.  Lots of unknowns with these new drugs that's for sure.

Cooper
                                                                        Participant

emilypen
                                                                          Participant

Hi Jim,

We spoke with our oncologist and one other about whether or not to wait before trying the carbo/taxol combo becasue we too thought that IPI might need more time.

Both opinions were the similar, and although they did not rule out response to IPI, the major concern they both had was life expectancy and if IPI did not kick in he may only have a 4-8 weeks. Which may have made him too sick or not here, to handle the chemo if we waited.

Both doctors said that they felt the chemo worked on a different pathway then the IPI and would not effect a late reponse to IPI.

While we know that chemo is not hugely succesfull we were hoping it would at least give more time if the IPI did not work.

The one thing that both docs used a tool to say there were afraid IPI was not working was his lymphocyte count it started at a decent number before IPI then rose after the first infusion, then dropped steadily from then on. It is currently very low.

thanks,

Emily

emilypen
                                                                            Participant

Hi Jim,

thanks,

Emily

jim Breitfeller
                                                                            Participant

Em,

your Hubby took the 4th dose of Ipilimumab (Yervoy)  September 6, 2011. That was 84 days since the start of Ipi therapy.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Bkp8ysLnlCY/ToXuykM4MVI/AAAAAAAAAgs/BRXLG5_YwfM/s1600/Yervoy%2BProtocol%2B2011.jpg

Your doctor did not give the immune system enough time to mount an attack on the tumors. (see the graph with the time line.)

If it was me, I would HOLD on the chemo. IT could kill the T-cells along with the Immune response.

Best regards,

Jimmy b

jim Breitfeller
                                                                              Participant

Em,

Best regards,

Jimmy b

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                Participant

Em, your husband could be experiencing a late response to ipi. However, something is preventing this response from being effective, and Jimmy's explanation in this thread sounds reasonable to me.

The problem now is compounded by a sense that time is short, so does one keep going with the chemo, try to get treated with Anti PD-1, or wait to see if there is any late response to ipi?

I am not sure that there are any easy answers.

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                  Participant

Em, your husband could be experiencing a late response to ipi. However, something is preventing this response from being effective, and Jimmy's explanation in this thread sounds reasonable to me.

The problem now is compounded by a sense that time is short, so does one keep going with the chemo, try to get treated with Anti PD-1, or wait to see if there is any late response to ipi?

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                    Participant

Frank from Australia

Terra
                                                                                        Participant

It is a very difficult decision Emily.  We are still hoping Derek is a late responder as well but time is short.  I think with chemo they can tell very soon.  They scanned us after 3 injections. How soon can they rescan him?  We are thinking of you guys. 

Terra
                                                                                          Participant

It is a very difficult decision Emily.  We are still hoping Derek is a late responder as well but time is short.  I think with chemo they can tell very soon.  They scanned us after 3 injections. How soon can they rescan him?  We are thinking of you guys. 

Terra
                                                                                            Participant

Terra
                                                                                              Participant

Terra
                                                                                                Participant

Terra
                                                                                                  Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics