The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain Met on Keytruda

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain Met on Keytruda

Participant

Met with my neurosurgeon on Monday morning and was directly admitted for surgery.  Surgery will be followed by Cyberknife and I'll also be scanned for other progression.  Will report back.

Viewing 50 reply threads
    • Replies
        Jubes
        Participant

Good luck mat! We are all hoping for a positive outcome.

anne-Louise 

Jubes
          Participant

anne-Louise 

Jubes
            Participant

anne-Louise 

dfeng
              Participant

Best wishes, Mat.

dfeng
                Participant

Best wishes, Mat.

dfeng
                  Participant

Best wishes, Mat.

jamieth29
                    Participant
                      Wishing you the best mat.
                      jamieth29
                      Participant
                        jamieth29
                        Participant
                          DZnDef
                          Participant

Best of luck to you Matt!  Just remember you have the easy part.  Relax and let these highly competent professionals take care of you.

Brendan
                              Participant

Hey Mat.  I've had two cranis at Penn.  You're in good hands.  Good luck, brother.

Brendan

Brendan
                                Participant

Hey Mat.  I've had two cranis at Penn.  You're in good hands.  Good luck, brother.

Brendan

Brendan
                                  Participant

Brendan

DZnDef
                                  Participant

Best of luck to you Matt!  Just remember you have the easy part.  Relax and let these highly competent professionals take care of you.

DZnDef
                                    Participant

Bubbles
                                      Participant

Oh, Mat!  All fingers crossed and holding you in my heart.  c

Bubbles
                                        Participant

Bubbles
                                          Participant

stars
                                            Participant
                                              Wow, that is quick. You sound like you are in good hands. all the best, Mat.
                                              stars
                                              Participant
                                                stars
                                                Participant
                                                  arthurjedi007
                                                  Participant

Good luck mat. Sounds like they are moving on it fast with a good normal plan.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                    Participant

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                      Participant

Artie

Gwen in Maine
                                                        Participant

Best wishes and good luck, Mat!

Gwen

Gwen in Maine
                                                          Participant

Gwen

Gwen in Maine
                                                            Participant

Gwen

BrianP
                                                              Participant

Hope everything went well Mat.  Anxiously awaiting your next report.

BrianP
                                                                Participant

Mat
                                                                    Participant

Thanks Brian (and everyone).  I guess I always considered myself to be a bit of a melanoma wimp having not had any major surgeries.  A crani followed by a week in the hospital surely moves me out of that category.  I've recovered some, but not all, of the vision in my left eye.  My neurosurgeon estimates that I would've been blind by now without treatment.  I anticipate being discharged today and will then work on Cyberknife.  Still not sure whether they can save my left eye.  Then I need to have the rest of me scanned to see whether I'm still benefiting from Keytruda.

arthurjedi007
                                                                      Participant

Wow. Good thing you have good docs that you were able to get them on it right away. Hopefully everything turns out good.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                        Participant

Wow. Good thing you have good docs that you were able to get them on it right away. Hopefully everything turns out good.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                          Participant

Artie

khubes
                                                                            Participant

Mat, it is great to hear that you're post-op now and on the road to recovery!  I'm glad your docs were able to get you into surgery swiftly.  Praying that your vision will return 100%.  You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers!! 

khubes
                                                                              Participant

Mat, it is great to hear that you're post-op now and on the road to recovery!  I'm glad your docs were able to get you into surgery swiftly.  Praying that your vision will return 100%.  You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers!! 

khubes
                                                                                Participant

Mat
                                                                                  Participant

Thanks Brian (and everyone).  I guess I always considered myself to be a bit of a melanoma wimp having not had any major surgeries.  A crani followed by a week in the hospital surely moves me out of that category.  I've recovered some, but not all, of the vision in my left eye.  My neurosurgeon estimates that I would've been blind by now without treatment.  I anticipate being discharged today and will then work on Cyberknife.  Still not sure whether they can save my left eye.  Then I need to have the rest of me scanned to see whether I'm still benefiting from Keytruda.

Mat
                                                                                    Participant

BrianP
                                                                                    Participant

JoshF
                                                                                      Participant

Rushing you the best and speedy recovery!!!

JoshF
                                                                                        Participant

Mat
                                                                                            Participant

Thanks Josh.  Glad to hear your good report.

Mat
                                                                                              Participant

Mat
                                                                                                Participant

JoshF
                                                                                                Participant

Bubbles
                                                                                                  Participant

Goodness, Mat!  Glad you got things taken care of as quickly as you did!!!  Fingers crossed for more improvement in your vision.  Hang in there!!  C

Bubbles
                                                                                                    Participant

Goodness, Mat!  Glad you got things taken care of as quickly as you did!!!  Fingers crossed for more improvement in your vision.  Hang in there!!  C

Bubbles
                                                                                                      Participant

kpcollins31
                                                                                                        Participant

Good luck Matt! Hang in there.

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                                                                          Participant

Kevin

kpcollins31
                                                                                                            Participant

Kevin

casagrayson
                                                                                                              Participant

Thankful you got in so quickly!

casagrayson
                                                                                                                Participant

casagrayson
                                                                                                                  Participant

stars
                                                                                                                    Participant

Surgery – done. Cyberknife/scans – planned. You're all over this! All the best for a great recovery – it's amazing what can return once the trauma of surgery settles down. Thanks for the update, Mat.

stars
                                                                                                                      Participant

Surgery – done. Cyberknife/scans – planned. You're all over this! All the best for a great recovery – it's amazing what can return once the trauma of surgery settles down. Thanks for the update, Mat.

stars
                                                                                                                        Participant

Mat
                                                                                                                          Participant

Thanks everyone.  So at discharge yesterday, the nurse asked me about a runny nose.  I'd actually had it since the surgery but it was so minor that I neglected to mention it.  I went from discharge to MRI to BA ck to the ICU.  ICU is a great place post-surgery–not so much pre-surgery.  Anyway, they aren't sure if my leaky nose is related to the surgery or not.  Thus, I'm stuck in the hospital and they will likely open me up again to be safe.  On another note, I also had a CT scan yesterday.  (Amazingly, the pigs at our insurance company rejected a PET!). I haven't seen the report or spoken with my onc, but it sounds like I have other progression.

Mat
                                                                                                                            Participant

Thanks everyone.  So at discharge yesterday, the nurse asked me about a runny nose.  I'd actually had it since the surgery but it was so minor that I neglected to mention it.  I went from discharge to MRI to BA ck to the ICU.  ICU is a great place post-surgery–not so much pre-surgery.  Anyway, they aren't sure if my leaky nose is related to the surgery or not.  Thus, I'm stuck in the hospital and they will likely open me up again to be safe.  On another note, I also had a CT scan yesterday.  (Amazingly, the pigs at our insurance company rejected a PET!). I haven't seen the report or spoken with my onc, but it sounds like I have other progression.

BrianP
                                                                                                                                Participant

Prayers, Prayers, Prayers.  Hang in there Mat.  Thinking about you and your family.  Sounds like you have a great team of Docs in your corner. 

BrianP
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Prayers, Prayers, Prayers.  Hang in there Mat.  Thinking about you and your family.  Sounds like you have a great team of Docs in your corner. 

BrianP
                                                                                                                                    Participant

dfeng
                                                                                                                                      Participant

You will be fine!!! 

dfeng
                                                                                                                                        Participant

You will be fine!!! 

Brendan
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Hey Mat.  Glad they are checking it now as opposed to later.  Good luck to you.  Hang in there.  

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Hey Mat.  Glad they are checking it now as opposed to later.  Good luck to you.  Hang in there.  

Brendan

Brendan
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Brendan

dfeng
                                                                                                                                                Participant

You will be fine!!! 

arthurjedi007
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Sheesh you are really going through a lot Mat. Hang in there.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Artie

stars
                                                                                                                                                        Participant
                                                                                                                                                          Oh man,it just goes from one thing to another. I never would’ve thought a runny nose would be anything to do with surgery… I guess its good that the nurse was switched on to this link. Hopefully it resolves before any more surgery is considered. Can’t believe your PET was refused, hopefully CT brings you some clarity. I’m in Australia and we just don’t have this struggle about insurance – we probably have other struggles, but convincing insurers is not one (not for me, anyway, as I don’t have private insurance). Keep fighting my friend, one hurdle at a time.
                                                                                                                                                          stars
                                                                                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                                                                                            Oh man,it just goes from one thing to another. I never would’ve thought a runny nose would be anything to do with surgery… I guess its good that the nurse was switched on to this link. Hopefully it resolves before any more surgery is considered. Can’t believe your PET was refused, hopefully CT brings you some clarity. I’m in Australia and we just don’t have this struggle about insurance – we probably have other struggles, but convincing insurers is not one (not for me, anyway, as I don’t have private insurance). Keep fighting my friend, one hurdle at a time.
                                                                                                                                                            stars
                                                                                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                                                                                              _Paul_
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Hopy crap Mat, you are a warrior for sure. I'm glad you got some relief in your left eye and hope you don't have any progression and that you won't have any more issues with your sight other than continued improvement. And no, you definately are not in the wimp category in my books!

Praying for you.

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Hopy crap Mat, you are a warrior for sure. I'm glad you got some relief in your left eye and hope you don't have any progression and that you won't have any more issues with your sight other than continued improvement. And no, you definately are not in the wimp category in my books!

Praying for you.

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Praying for you.

Mat
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Mat
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Hi everyone.  A quick update.  Expecting to be discharged tomorrow.  Two cranis in 8 days–really not fun.  Next week I'll start Cyberknife to clean up my remaining sinus tumor and also a new adrenal gland tumor.  I'll likely stay on Keytruda but will continue to evaluate additional options.  Thanks.

Mat
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Hi everyone.  A quick update.  Expecting to be discharged tomorrow.  Two cranis in 8 days–really not fun.  Next week I'll start Cyberknife to clean up my remaining sinus tumor and also a new adrenal gland tumor.  I'll likely stay on Keytruda but will continue to evaluate additional options.  Thanks.

Mat
                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

BrianP
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Glad to hear you will be heading home Mat. Two cranis in 8 days doesn't sound like much fun.  Hoping Keytruda will get a second wind for you.

Brian

BrianP
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Glad to hear you will be heading home Mat. Two cranis in 8 days doesn't sound like much fun.  Hoping Keytruda will get a second wind for you.

Brian

BrianP
                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Brian

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

So the runny nose was nothing to be alarmed about? What about the CT? Did it reveal a new met?

Hoping the answer to these is yes and no in that order!

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

So the runny nose was nothing to be alarmed about? What about the CT? Did it reveal a new met?

Mat
                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Runny nose was leaking cerebral spinal fluid.  So, second crani was more like a repair of the end of the first.  The CT showed a new tumor on my adrenal gland, but otherwise showed stability.  At a minimum, I will be getting Keytruda plus SRS (Cyberknife) given the minimal (though poorly located) progression, but I will look at all options.

Mat
                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Runny nose was leaking cerebral spinal fluid.  So, second crani was more like a repair of the end of the first.  The CT showed a new tumor on my adrenal gland, but otherwise showed stability.  At a minimum, I will be getting Keytruda plus SRS (Cyberknife) given the minimal (though poorly located) progression, but I will look at all options.

Mat
                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

stars
                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

At last, home sweet home.Hope the cyberknife stuff all goes well and Keytruda kicks in, too. All the best, Mat!

stars
                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

At last, home sweet home.Hope the cyberknife stuff all goes well and Keytruda kicks in, too. All the best, Mat!

stars
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

ed williams
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

I would be giving that Nurse a big hug the next time you see her!!! I hope you recover quickly from the surgery.Ed

ed williams
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

I would be giving that Nurse a big hug the next time you see her!!! I hope you recover quickly from the surgery.Ed

dfeng
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Yeah. A running nose is kind of alarm under that situation. You are in good hands Mat!

dfeng
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Yeah. A running nose is kind of alarm under that situation. You are in good hands Mat!

dfeng
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

ed williams
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Viewing 50 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics