The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Brain Met

Forums General Melanoma Community Brain Met

Participant

Hi it has been a while since i posted. My wife is 6 months out from completing ipi at UCLA. She just got her scans done and her multiple subcentimeter lung nodules are still stable with one of the nodules showing a 50% decrease. However one brain met was found. They will be doing SRS on it in the next week of two just trying to get thing scheduled. After it is zapped we will reintroduce ipi as she cant do any trials since she does not have measurable disease. My question which i have asked on a few other sites/forums is are there folks out there who have had brain mets that are still here 2, 3, 5 years out. Just looking for something to hang onto here. Thanks

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        Randy437
        Participant

I had a brain met surgically removed (with followup SRS) 5 1/2 years ago.  I have had brain MRIs every 6 months since and have not had a brain met recurrance.

eric w
            Participant

Thanks Randy…

gostan
              Participant

I am only 8 & 6 months out from two SRS treatments and 3 months out from WBRT, but my two IPI infusions  that took place 2 & & 5 weeks from the end of the WBRT, and my neurologist is convinced that it was the back to back radiation/IPI treatments that obliterated my multiple brain mets.  Here's hoping for similar results for you.

gostan
                Participant

I am only 8 & 6 months out from two SRS treatments and 3 months out from WBRT, but my two IPI infusions  that took place 2 & & 5 weeks from the end of the WBRT, and my neurologist is convinced that it was the back to back radiation/IPI treatments that obliterated my multiple brain mets.  Here's hoping for similar results for you.

eric w
                  Participant

Thanks

eric w
                    Participant

Thanks

eric w
                      Participant

Thanks

gostan
                        Participant

eric w
                          Participant

Thanks Randy…

eric w
                            Participant

Thanks Randy…

Randy437
                            Participant

I had a brain met surgically removed (with followup SRS) 5 1/2 years ago.  I have had brain MRIs every 6 months since and have not had a brain met recurrance.

Randy437
                              Participant

awillett1991
                                Participant

Well I am not 2 years but I know people who have survived even longer. I was dx with my first brain met April 2012. Still battling! Just picked up my kids from school and made chili today for 15 people. This is not the time to give up. 

Amy

awillett1991
                                  Participant

Well I am not 2 years but I know people who have survived even longer. I was dx with my first brain met April 2012. Still battling! Just picked up my kids from school and made chili today for 15 people. This is not the time to give up. 

Amy

eric w
                                      Participant

Thanks

eric w
                                        Participant

Thanks

eric w
                                          Participant

Thanks

awillett1991
                                          Participant

Amy

Brendan
                                            Participant

Hi Eric,

I had my first brain met in June 2012.  Last week's brain MRI was clear.  There are others on the board who have had brain mets for over five years.  Good luck to your wife (and to you).

Brendan

Brendan
                                              Participant

Hi Eric,

I had my first brain met in June 2012.  Last week's brain MRI was clear.  There are others on the board who have had brain mets for over five years.  Good luck to your wife (and to you).

Brendan

eric w
                                                  Participant

Thanks

eric w
                                                    Participant

Thanks

eric w
                                                      Participant

Thanks

Brendan
                                                      Participant

Hi Eric,

Brendan

eric w
                                                        Participant

Thanks everyone…Just trying to figure all this stuff out. Just looking for some postive reinforcement… Thanks again

eric w
                                                          Participant

Thanks everyone…Just trying to figure all this stuff out. Just looking for some postive reinforcement… Thanks again

eric w
                                                            Participant

Janner
                                                              Participant

Do a search for Carole K.  She's over 10 years out from a brain met and lung mets, I think.  Can't remember all her details but she has a profile you can read.

Janner
                                                                Participant

Do a search for Carole K.  She's over 10 years out from a brain met and lung mets, I think.  Can't remember all her details but she has a profile you can read.

Janner
                                                                  Participant

eric w
                                                                      Participant

Thanks Janner

Phil S
                                                                        Participant

Eric,   Brain mets are super scary, I was beyond upset when my husband's melanoma spread to his brain in September 2011.  Phil had a craniotomy and WBR radiation, and has been stable in his brain ever since. Of course, he also did 6 rounds of biochemo and TIL, so who really knows what worked where?? All I know is that I never thought we would be celebrating Christmas together as a family, 2 years and 3 months after the brain diagnosis, but we are thrilled at how well Phil is doing!  I wish you and your wife all the best, fighting melanoma is difficult and unpredictable, but so much is still unknown and better and better treatments are being worked on daily. So, keep positive, stay educated, and enjoy every moment with your family!  God bless,  Valerie (Phil's wife)

Phil S
                                                                          Participant

Eric,   Brain mets are super scary, I was beyond upset when my husband's melanoma spread to his brain in September 2011.  Phil had a craniotomy and WBR radiation, and has been stable in his brain ever since. Of course, he also did 6 rounds of biochemo and TIL, so who really knows what worked where?? All I know is that I never thought we would be celebrating Christmas together as a family, 2 years and 3 months after the brain diagnosis, but we are thrilled at how well Phil is doing!  I wish you and your wife all the best, fighting melanoma is difficult and unpredictable, but so much is still unknown and better and better treatments are being worked on daily. So, keep positive, stay educated, and enjoy every moment with your family!  God bless,  Valerie (Phil's wife)

Phil S
                                                                            Participant

eric w
                                                                              Participant

Thanks Janner

eric w
                                                                                Participant

Thanks Janner

Ali
                                                                                Participant

Eric, I kind of thought brain mets were the end.  I was very wrong.  They found 25 small tumors in my brain June 2012.  As of September 2012 my brain MRIs have come back clear every time.  I had IPI plus Temodar.  I wonder if they would concider Temodar in her treatment?

NancyGM
                                                                                    Participant

I did Temodar for a met in my mediastinum and have been NED for 7 years. I did not have brain mets, but I know it crosses the blood brain barrier…

NancyGM
                                                                                      Participant

I did Temodar for a met in my mediastinum and have been NED for 7 years. I did not have brain mets, but I know it crosses the blood brain barrier…

NancyGM
                                                                                        Participant

Ali
                                                                                        Participant

Eric, I kind of thought brain mets were the end.  I was very wrong.  They found 25 small tumors in my brain June 2012.  As of September 2012 my brain MRIs have come back clear every time.  I had IPI plus Temodar.  I wonder if they would concider Temodar in her treatment?

Ali
                                                                                          Participant

delora
                                                                                            Participant

Hi Eric,

I don't have any experience with brain mets…yet, but I totally understand that you need something positive to hang on to.  I have been searching for that for the last two weeks waiting on answers and test results.  I probably have searched way too much on Google and other places.  I have found that this site is fact based with good people, so I am trying to resist the urge to continue to search for things I cannot get the answer for right now.  What seems so positive is the love you obviously have for your wife.  I imagine your strength and encouragement is what she hangs on to.  Good luck to both you and your wife.  I wish you all the best the world has to offer.

delora
                                                                                              Participant

Hi Eric,

I don't have any experience with brain mets…yet, but I totally understand that you need something positive to hang on to.  I have been searching for that for the last two weeks waiting on answers and test results.  I probably have searched way too much on Google and other places.  I have found that this site is fact based with good people, so I am trying to resist the urge to continue to search for things I cannot get the answer for right now.  What seems so positive is the love you obviously have for your wife.  I imagine your strength and encouragement is what she hangs on to.  Good luck to both you and your wife.  I wish you all the best the world has to offer.

delora
                                                                                                Participant

Hi Eric,

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics