The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

BRAF/Zelboraf & breast lump = panic

Forums General Melanoma Community BRAF/Zelboraf & breast lump = panic

Participant

Hi y'all,

Just found a painful lump in my breast last night. Ironically, saw my gyn last week and he missed it. It's more pronounced sitting up, and he examined me lying down.

I'm on BRAF, and have responded very well. I do get ereythema nodosum (painful lumps) as a side effect.

I'll call both Yervoy and Zelboraf patient info lines asap today. I feel I'm in the wilderness: just released by U of Penn to my local onc. And I'm the first HE'S  treated with either drug.

Hi y'all,

Just found a painful lump in my breast last night. Ironically, saw my gyn last week and he missed it. It's more pronounced sitting up, and he examined me lying down.

I'm on BRAF, and have responded very well. I do get ereythema nodosum (painful lumps) as a side effect.

I'll call both Yervoy and Zelboraf patient info lines asap today. I feel I'm in the wilderness: just released by U of Penn to my local onc. And I'm the first HE'S  treated with either drug.

How much do I panic, and how much is likely to just be a side effect?! I'll call the local onc, as I'm due for scans, and I'll call my gyn for a mammo (which I'd told him I wanted to skip, frankly).

Have their been folks with BOTH breast AND melanoma on this board, with both cancers active at the same time?

My head is swimming!

Thanks,

TracyLee

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

TracyLee, it is good that you are due to have scans. However, I think that it could be wise to have a mammogram first to see if it detects anything suspicious.

Please try not to panic, as one has no indication that the lump is malignant and it could well be benign.

I think that it would be very unlucky if someone had breast cancer and melanoma that were active at the same time.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Frank from Australia

JerryfromFauq
            Participant

A lump in the breast does not necessarily mean breast cancer.  Melanoma has been known to develop tumors internal to the breast as well.  Hopefully Tracey's tender lump in the breast is the same as the one I found in my breast in early july ths year.  It got large fast, was quite hard and was quite tender to the touch.  Two weeks after I saw my Oncological surgeon, he took out the large hard tender fatty material lump and the pathology report said no sign of melnoma.  So while I have to say there have been people with breast cancer and with melanoma at the same time, it is not the norm.  It is also true that a large hard tender lump does not haave to be either type of cancer.  (Did I appreciate my Surgeons rapid response to enable me to find out my status so I could go on a 1800 mile trip to be there for the birth of my newest grandchild!) 

Good luck Tracy

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

A lump in the breast does not necessarily mean breast cancer.  Melanoma has been known to develop tumors internal to the breast as well.  Hopefully Tracey's tender lump in the breast is the same as the one I found in my breast in early july ths year.  It got large fast, was quite hard and was quite tender to the touch.  Two weeks after I saw my Oncological surgeon, he took out the large hard tender fatty material lump and the pathology report said no sign of melnoma.  So while I have to say there have been people with breast cancer and with melanoma at the same time, it is not the norm.  It is also true that a large hard tender lump does not haave to be either type of cancer.  (Did I appreciate my Surgeons rapid response to enable me to find out my status so I could go on a 1800 mile trip to be there for the birth of my newest grandchild!) 

Good luck Tracy

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

Good luck Tracy

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

TracyLee, it is good that you are due to have scans. However, I think that it could be wise to have a mammogram first to see if it detects anything suspicious.

Please try not to panic, as one has no indication that the lump is malignant and it could well be benign.

I think that it would be very unlucky if someone had breast cancer and melanoma that were active at the same time.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                  Participant

Frank from Australia

Hereiam
                    Participant

Hi TracyLee,

I am so sorry that you`re feeling so stressed lately. I can only agree with others and say, that probably it is just a painful side effect. Of course, you never know until you get checked, but I somehow believe, that those chimicals just influence your body in this way.

Stay strong and positive, and I truly hope it`s just a nasty side-effect!

Laurie from maine
                        Participant

Hi,

I am hoping also it is just one of your painful lumps you mentioned and will go away?  But it is always good to check with onclogist and see if they want to check you out or go for mammogram.  OUCH having a mammogram while you have a  painful lump could be tough, fingers crossed it goes away as quickly as it appeared.

keep us posted, take care

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                          Participant

Hi,

I am hoping also it is just one of your painful lumps you mentioned and will go away?  But it is always good to check with onclogist and see if they want to check you out or go for mammogram.  OUCH having a mammogram while you have a  painful lump could be tough, fingers crossed it goes away as quickly as it appeared.

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
                            Participant

Hi,

laurie from maine

Hereiam
                            Participant

Hi TracyLee,

I am so sorry that you`re feeling so stressed lately. I can only agree with others and say, that probably it is just a painful side effect. Of course, you never know until you get checked, but I somehow believe, that those chimicals just influence your body in this way.

Hereiam
                              Participant

Hi TracyLee,

NYKaren
                                Participant

Hi TracyLee,

I'll be thinking of you while you get this checked out.  Better to be safe than sorry.

karen

Lisa13
                                    Participant

Hi TracyLee,

I'm glad you're getting your breast lump checked out soon.  It's so easy to assume the worse when you're battling melanoma, but it could very well be something benign like a fibroid cyst. I had 1 shortly before I was diagnosed and it was painful.  Is your lump hard and unmoveable or does it feel like you can move it under the skin?

Best of luck!

Lisa – Stage 4

Lisa13
                                      Participant

Hi TracyLee,

I'm glad you're getting your breast lump checked out soon.  It's so easy to assume the worse when you're battling melanoma, but it could very well be something benign like a fibroid cyst. I had 1 shortly before I was diagnosed and it was painful.  Is your lump hard and unmoveable or does it feel like you can move it under the skin?

Best of luck!

Lisa – Stage 4

Lisa13
                                        Participant

Hi TracyLee,

Best of luck!

Lisa – Stage 4

NYKaren
                                        Participant

Hi TracyLee,

I'll be thinking of you while you get this checked out.  Better to be safe than sorry.

karen

NYKaren
                                          Participant

Hi TracyLee,

karen

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics