The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Back home after surgery at NIH

Forums General Melanoma Community Back home after surgery at NIH

Participant

Hi everyone.

Hi everyone.

I just got home yesterday after having surgery last Thursday. They removed a lymph node behind my pancreas and one on the side of the pancreas. They are currently working on growing TIL from those tumors. I was in the hospital for six days. It was a difficult surgery because the lymph node behind my pancreas was in between three big blood supplies. This is the longest and hardest surgery I've had to date and recovery is a little slower. I have about a 10 inch incision on my stomach that is stapled shut. Ouch! I think I'll be on the pain meds longer than I usually am.

I should get a phone call next week with the status of my cell growth. If things look good, I should be headed back in 2-3 weeks for chemo and then to put the cells back in.

I'm participating in the IL-12 TIL Study. I'll keep you guys updated as the process continues.

http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/search/view?cdrid=689250&version=HealthProfessional&protocolsearchid=10236456

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        jim Breitfeller
        Participant

Angela,

I wish all the best with the new trial. I believe Dr. Rosenberg is on the right track to get your immune system to recognize the melanoma.

Warm regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
          Participant

Angela,

I wish all the best with the new trial. I believe Dr. Rosenberg is on the right track to get your immune system to recognize the melanoma.

Warm regards,

Jimmy B

jim Breitfeller
            Participant

Angela,

Warm regards,

Jimmy B

Linny
              Participant

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I pray they are able grow lots and lots good cells for you and that they do their job for you.

I've had surgeries done in the abdominal area (non-melanoma related) and what's helped me get around was holding a small pillow to the area to give it some support. I found that when did that I could get up out of a sitting position so that it didn't hurt as much. One hospital actually gave me a "huggie pillow" to take home with me. All that was, were some folded towels taped together in a square with a smiley face drawn on it. If the nurses can rig something like that up for you, it might ease the discomfort you're experiencing, as well.

You should be feeling much better by the time you start the next step in the process. Hang in there.

Linny
                Participant

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I pray they are able grow lots and lots good cells for you and that they do their job for you.

I've had surgeries done in the abdominal area (non-melanoma related) and what's helped me get around was holding a small pillow to the area to give it some support. I found that when did that I could get up out of a sitting position so that it didn't hurt as much. One hospital actually gave me a "huggie pillow" to take home with me. All that was, were some folded towels taped together in a square with a smiley face drawn on it. If the nurses can rig something like that up for you, it might ease the discomfort you're experiencing, as well.

You should be feeling much better by the time you start the next step in the process. Hang in there.

Linny
                  Participant

aldakota22
                    Participant

Glad the operation was sucessful to gather cells to boost the immune system.Can only imagine  how  much pain you are in.It will be worth it. as the trial is a great course of treatment.All the best along with my prayers .  Al

aldakota22
                      Participant

Glad the operation was sucessful to gather cells to boost the immune system.Can only imagine  how  much pain you are in.It will be worth it. as the trial is a great course of treatment.All the best along with my prayers .  Al

aldakota22
                        Participant

BethA in VA
                          Participant

I'm sure you will feel much better just getting home.  I hope you recover faster than you expect and that the trial is successful.  Good luck!!  (The pillow suggestion posted above really does work.)  Keep us posted on how you are doing.  Beth 3/B

BethA in VA
                            Participant

I'm sure you will feel much better just getting home.  I hope you recover faster than you expect and that the trial is successful.  Good luck!!  (The pillow suggestion posted above really does work.)  Keep us posted on how you are doing.  Beth 3/B

BethA in VA
                              Participant

triciad
                                Participant

Angela,

Great news.  I hope you have a speedy recovery and those little cells grow, grow, grow!   Please keep us posted, and I will keep you in my prayers!

Tricia

triciad
                                  Participant

Angela,

Great news.  I hope you have a speedy recovery and those little cells grow, grow, grow!   Please keep us posted, and I will keep you in my prayers!

Tricia

triciad
                                    Participant

Angela,

Tricia

FormerCaregiver
                                      Participant

Angela, thanks for the update. Hopefully the surgery that you have had will give you in a much better prognosis.

Good luck with the IL-12 TIL trial. It sounds very promising.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                        Participant

Angela, thanks for the update. Hopefully the surgery that you have had will give you in a much better prognosis.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                          Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

Angela C
                                            Participant

Hey everyone.

I got the call today that my cells are growing!!! I got back on April 4th for scans and start chemo on April 6th.

I'm excited to get started. Seems strange to say that I'm excited to start chemo, but I actually am. lol

~Angela

Angela C
                                              Participant

Hey everyone.

I got the call today that my cells are growing!!! I got back on April 4th for scans and start chemo on April 6th.

I'm excited to get started. Seems strange to say that I'm excited to start chemo, but I actually am. lol

~Angela

Angela C
                                                Participant

Hey everyone.

~Angela

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics