The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Appetite and nausea post ipi/nivo and stereotactic Radiation

Forums General Melanoma Community Appetite and nausea post ipi/nivo and stereotactic Radiation

Participant
      Hello there, thank you in advance for any help.
      My sister had stereotactic radiation for a brain met and is also having Ipi/nivo combo. She is so down, has the driest mouth, is hungry but can’t eat, feels nauseous, she is taking anti nausea meds but can’t tolerate food although she wants it.
      Can anyone offer any tips or trick, we have tried sugar free gum, ginger drinks and cortisol ,no help.
      She is losing weight, weak and down in herself. I would appreciate any help anyone in a similar situation could offer . Thank you
    Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Edwin
        Participant
          After my first ipi+nivo immunotherapy I was nauseous, had bad diarrhea and lost too much weight. I met with the cancer center dietitian. She helped me gain weight. I ate more high calorie food. My oncologist postponed my 2nd dose of ipi, until I regained most of the weight I had lost. Does you sister’s cancer center have a dietitian?
          gopher38
          Participant
            I had dry mouth from opdivo, but – interestingly – not during the combo. I’ve also had the gamma knife, but I don’t think I had any effects from that at all (I suppose it depends on location and size though). I’d guess that the effects are from immunotherapy and not the radiation.
            I do think many of the effects that I had seemed to fade with time.
            MelMel
            Participant
              Dry mouth can be caused by both radiation and drugs. If your sister’s tumor is near the salivary glands radiation may be the culprit. Here is some info you may find helpful.

https://www.cancer.net/coping-with-cancer/physical-emotional-and-social-effects-cancer/managing-physical-side-effects/dry-mouth-or-xerostomia

Foodwise, I would go for nutritious shakes made from chicken bone broth and vegetables placed in a magic bullet. Basically, these can be consumed through a straw and are easy to digest. In a few weeks she should feel much better and the dry mouth should go away.
              Melanie

Summer S.
                Participant
                  I totally agree,

My mom was on a similar period of loss of appetite and weight

Shakes and soups were absolutely life saving

I also found it very useful to add whey protein to those shakes after consulting with her doctor

Here is an interesting read on that topic
                  https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29565716/

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics