The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone out there with pituitary gland damage because of Ipi?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone out there with pituitary gland damage because of Ipi?

Participant

I've talked to doctors. I have talked to nurses. I really, really want to talk to someone who has long-standing damage to their anterior pituitary caused by ipilimumab-induced hypophysitis.

I've been dealing with this for a year now. I have made progress. I no longer feel terrible. I no longer feel exhausted. I do, however, have zero tolerance for stress.

I used to love my stressful job. No longer. I want to check out whether there is a medical reason for my inability to cope with stress and whether it can be tackled. If not, it will be goodbye to the job with its life insurance policy and excellent pension benefits.

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Scooby123
        Participant

Hi MoiraM

When i had ippi mine was effected and they wanted to put me on treatment but i said can i wait to see if it gets better over time. my last bloods was satisfaction so glad i did not go on treatment but this is  year ago too.

Has yours not improved at all over time.

Scooby123

Scooby123
          Participant

Hi MoiraM

When i had ippi mine was effected and they wanted to put me on treatment but i said can i wait to see if it gets better over time. my last bloods was satisfaction so glad i did not go on treatment but this is  year ago too.

Scooby123

MoiraM
              Participant

My anterior pituitary was very badly damaged. It produces no ATCH, so my body produces no cortisol. If I was not taking replacement steroids I would collapse and end up in hospital.

There is no sign of any improvement and my consultant says that there is almost no chance of it recovering function.

I have never been on high dose steroids. I went straight from feeling terrible to barely able to stand up to taking 10 mg prednisiolone and feeling fine within 15 minutes of taking the pills.

MoiraM
                Participant

My anterior pituitary was very badly damaged. It produces no ATCH, so my body produces no cortisol. If I was not taking replacement steroids I would collapse and end up in hospital.

There is no sign of any improvement and my consultant says that there is almost no chance of it recovering function.

I have never been on high dose steroids. I went straight from feeling terrible to barely able to stand up to taking 10 mg prednisiolone and feeling fine within 15 minutes of taking the pills.

MoiraM
                  Participant

Kim K
                    Participant

You are describing Addison's disease – No ACTH, same thing one of the Kenndy boys had (Bobby I think).  Yes, stressful situations tax your endocrin fight or flight response, of which cortisol is the key hormone.  In your case, you can't produce enough.

Even though you are taking replacement drugs, your stressful job will place periods of time when your meds can't meet the sudden demand for a surge of cortisol so you are going to feel like you did before you started hormone replacement.

Kind of like a diabetic taking maintenance insulin but needing a short acting form just before or after a meal.  In your case, you don't have a drug like that for the times you need some extra umpf in the cortisol department.

I hope that made sense and why you feel the way you do when stressed.  Your body just isn't able to respond the way a normal functioning one can.  Our bodies do an amazing job of self-regulation.  When those systems crash, we can only hope to come close to what nature does.

Talk to your doc about your symptoms, perhaps they can tweak some of your meds?

MoiraM
                      Participant

It is not quite the same as Addison's disease which, I believe, is due to a faulty adrenal cortex rather than a damaged pituitary, which is upsteam. I have no ACTH though. I also am missing a number of other hormones.

What you say would make sense if it wasn't for the fact that every endocrine doctor and endocrine nurse I have spoken to assure me that no level of 'everyday' stress short of a bereavement can affect my requirement for cortisol.

Physical shock is different. If that happens (e.g. physical injury, operation or an infection) I will go into crisis without extra cortosol.

MoiraM
                        Participant

It is not quite the same as Addison's disease which, I believe, is due to a faulty adrenal cortex rather than a damaged pituitary, which is upsteam. I have no ACTH though. I also am missing a number of other hormones.

What you say would make sense if it wasn't for the fact that every endocrine doctor and endocrine nurse I have spoken to assure me that no level of 'everyday' stress short of a bereavement can affect my requirement for cortisol.

Physical shock is different. If that happens (e.g. physical injury, operation or an infection) I will go into crisis without extra cortosol.

MoiraM
                          Participant

Kim K
                            Participant

You are describing Addison's disease – No ACTH, same thing one of the Kenndy boys had (Bobby I think).  Yes, stressful situations tax your endocrin fight or flight response, of which cortisol is the key hormone.  In your case, you can't produce enough.

Even though you are taking replacement drugs, your stressful job will place periods of time when your meds can't meet the sudden demand for a surge of cortisol so you are going to feel like you did before you started hormone replacement.

Kind of like a diabetic taking maintenance insulin but needing a short acting form just before or after a meal.  In your case, you don't have a drug like that for the times you need some extra umpf in the cortisol department.

I hope that made sense and why you feel the way you do when stressed.  Your body just isn't able to respond the way a normal functioning one can.  Our bodies do an amazing job of self-regulation.  When those systems crash, we can only hope to come close to what nature does.

Kim K
                              Participant

Scooby123
                              Participant

Hi MoiraM

Scooby123

sister of patient
                                Participant

Hello Moira,

Other than stress, I hope you are reasonably OK. I can't comment on the pituitary and effects of stress as I (thank God every day) don't have those problems. Just wanted to mention that if you do decide to leave work, you should be able to take your life insurance with you – it's called "conversion" to a personal policy. Definitely ask your employer – it's usually a "right" of the coverage.

Best of luck and I wish you some relief from the "load."

Barb

MoiraM
                                    Participant

Thanks for your good wishes, I am in the UK. I asked and as soon as I leave I lose the life insurance.

MoiraM
                                      Participant

Thanks for your good wishes, I am in the UK. I asked and as soon as I leave I lose the life insurance.

JohnA
                                        Participant

Regardingthe life insurance, many employers offer the option to take it with you (and you pay much more than normal, of course).  Ask if the life insurance is 'portable'. I'd suggest calling the life insurance company, especially if your employer says it is not portable, I'd call the insurance co and double check.

Good luck!

JohnA
                                          Participant

Regardingthe life insurance, many employers offer the option to take it with you (and you pay much more than normal, of course).  Ask if the life insurance is 'portable'. I'd suggest calling the life insurance company, especially if your employer says it is not portable, I'd call the insurance co and double check.

Good luck!

JohnA
                                            Participant

Good luck!

sister of patient
                                              Participant

Yes, Moira, I second what JohnA has written. Do ask the insurer – it may be that your benefit administrator is just not that knowledgeable and doesn't realize this is possible. I'm in Canada but insurance laws here are very close to UK law. When the employer says you leave and that's the end of it, it is the end from their perspective, in so much as they are no longer responsible for ensuring the coverage is provided and paid for. For sure call them!! Fingers crossed for you!!!

Barb

sister of patient
                                                Participant

Yes, Moira, I second what JohnA has written. Do ask the insurer – it may be that your benefit administrator is just not that knowledgeable and doesn't realize this is possible. I'm in Canada but insurance laws here are very close to UK law. When the employer says you leave and that's the end of it, it is the end from their perspective, in so much as they are no longer responsible for ensuring the coverage is provided and paid for. For sure call them!! Fingers crossed for you!!!

Barb

sister of patient
                                                  Participant

Barb

MoiraM
                                                    Participant

sister of patient
                                                    Participant

Hello Moira,

Other than stress, I hope you are reasonably OK. I can't comment on the pituitary and effects of stress as I (thank God every day) don't have those problems. Just wanted to mention that if you do decide to leave work, you should be able to take your life insurance with you – it's called "conversion" to a personal policy. Definitely ask your employer – it's usually a "right" of the coverage.

Barb

sister of patient
                                                      Participant

Hello Moira,

Barb

Rod
                                                        Participant

Yes, 2 years out from last ippi treatment. 

I have pituitary failure with pretty much same symptoms you described. 

Rod
                                                          Participant

MoiraM
                                                              Participant

Hi Rob

Thank you for replying.

Can I ask what cortisol-replacement you are on? I have stuck with prednisolone because that was what I started on and it took so long to persuade my endocrine team that I needed 8mg to be functional rather than between 5mg and 7.5mg. I take 8mg at 7 am and that's it for the day.

My ability to deal with everyday stress has plumented. I have been assured that this is nothing to do with the damage to my pituitary because my hormone replacement is adequate. However, there is this niggling doubt because my team has only treated one other person whose pituitary was damaged by ipi and his was not as badly damaged as mine. Also, they are fixated on not giving their patients (most of them have Addisons) an excuse to take more steroids. I don't want to take more steroids, I want to find out why I can't do the job I used to do!

MoiraM
                                                                Participant

Hi Rob

Thank you for replying.

Can I ask what cortisol-replacement you are on? I have stuck with prednisolone because that was what I started on and it took so long to persuade my endocrine team that I needed 8mg to be functional rather than between 5mg and 7.5mg. I take 8mg at 7 am and that's it for the day.

My ability to deal with everyday stress has plumented. I have been assured that this is nothing to do with the damage to my pituitary because my hormone replacement is adequate. However, there is this niggling doubt because my team has only treated one other person whose pituitary was damaged by ipi and his was not as badly damaged as mine. Also, they are fixated on not giving their patients (most of them have Addisons) an excuse to take more steroids. I don't want to take more steroids, I want to find out why I can't do the job I used to do!

Rod
                                                                  Participant

I take 20mg of Hydrocortisone a day. 15mg in morning and 5mg at 5PM.

100 mcg Levothyroxine in the AM for my thyroid.

Also I am on Testoserone therapy.

I was went into adrenal crisis in the Oncology office when getting blood drawn for my 3rd Ipi treatment so I know about drug therapy a must.

My Endocrinologist has told me damage is permanent.

If it helps I had a physical job for over 30 years that I can longer do.

MoiraM
                                                                    Participant

Thanks for your reply.

I am also on 75 mcg levothyroxine.

I am too old for them to replace my missing female hormones – I am 56.

After my fourth Ipi infusion, I felt worse and worse until I was barely able to walk. That was when they decided they should have an extra blood test. They came back at once, telling me to take some prednisolone. I did avoid the crisis.

Did the Ipi help with your melanoma?

MoiraM
                                                                      Participant

Thanks for your reply.

After my fourth Ipi infusion, I felt worse and worse until I was barely able to walk. That was when they decided they should have an extra blood test. They came back at once, telling me to take some prednisolone. I did avoid the crisis.

MoiraM
                                                                        Participant

Thanks for your reply.

Rod
                                                                          Participant

I was a participant in the adjuvant drug trial for ipi vs interferon. I had a left neck disection before starting the ipi.

I was only given 2 infusions of 10 mg ipi before the adrenal crisis and knocked out of the trial.

March 2015 was my 2 year anniversary with NED.

Rod
                                                                            Participant

I was a participant in the adjuvant drug trial for ipi vs interferon. I had a left neck disection before starting the ipi.

I was only given 2 infusions of 10 mg ipi before the adrenal crisis and knocked out of the trial.

Rod
                                                                              Participant

MoiraM
                                                                                Participant

I had four infusions of 3 mg/kg. I had tumours in my right axilla. They were not removed bacuse of my extreme phobia of doctors and hospitals. They shrank after the Ipi and no longer show on a CT scan.

I guess I am NED since my second post-ipi scan, which was in December 2015.

MoiraM
                                                                                  Participant

I had four infusions of 3 mg/kg. I had tumours in my right axilla. They were not removed bacuse of my extreme phobia of doctors and hospitals. They shrank after the Ipi and no longer show on a CT scan.

MoiraM
                                                                                    Participant

Rod
                                                                                      Participant

I was went into adrenal crisis in the Oncology office when getting blood drawn for my 3rd Ipi treatment so I know about drug therapy a must.

Rod
                                                                                        Participant

MoiraM
                                                                                          Participant

Hi Rob

Thank you for replying.

Rod
                                                                                          Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics