The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anyone have symptoms with brain mets?

Forums General Melanoma Community Anyone have symptoms with brain mets?

Participant

Hello everyone – 

I am stage 4a, on nivo for 6 months, and have questions for anyone who had/has brain mets that were sympotmatic. I have my next infusion on Tuesday and will be asking my oncologist about this then, but she won't know about patients' experience. 

I know and don't expect anyone to be able to tell me if I need to be worried, but sometimes it just helps to share an experience with those who get it, you know? 

So, for about a week now I have been waking up every morning with a bad headache. Already a migraine sufferer, I wasn't all that worried at first. These don't feel like my migraines as they are across my head (behnd my eyes mostly) rather than in one localized area. I also get nauseated and have actually been nauseated all day every day for this week. OTC meds take the edge off the headaches, which is good. 

The other thing – and the thing that actually concerns me – is the dizziness and the difficulty I seem to be having reading on the computer. (I teach online so I do spend a lot of time on the computer, but no more than usual these past months). I cannot follow the page when I scroll without squinting and I always feel like there is a slight – I don't even know how to describe it – pressure? in my head behind my eyes making it difficult to focus mentally. I wish I could describe it better. It feels like a heavy "fog" that makes my eyes feel unfocused and my brain slow and awkward. 

I've had days with this inability to focus occasionally throughout my life – but never all day every day for an entire week. This seemed to just come up out of the blue last weekend and I'm feeling a little stressed about it. Could it be some kind of delayed side effect of the nivo? 

Again, I know that no one can say if this is even anything except my doctor and probably some scans, but if anyone can share experiences that may be similar, I think I would feel better. Or at least I won't feel alone. 

Thank you for listening.

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Scooby123
        Participant

Hi Christne,

i have just had SRS treatment for a brain met which was found on my last scan. I can only say at the time I had sinus issues headache across both my eyes. I cannot say if it was the brain met or sinus issues to be honest. I work on a computer at work which requires a lot of consatration as I deal with accounts.

my brain met was 5.5mm so not sure if it was enough to cause me problems or not. I am sure lots of the guys who have had or are dealing with brain mets can give you more info . It is all new to me at present just getting over the treatment and resting. I have had a few headaches since treatment but side effects of treatment can cause this from what I have read. I will be speaking to my consultant next Thursday.

Scooby123❤️

Scooby123
          Participant

Hi Christne,

i have just had SRS treatment for a brain met which was found on my last scan. I can only say at the time I had sinus issues headache across both my eyes. I cannot say if it was the brain met or sinus issues to be honest. I work on a computer at work which requires a lot of consatration as I deal with accounts.

my brain met was 5.5mm so not sure if it was enough to cause me problems or not. I am sure lots of the guys who have had or are dealing with brain mets can give you more info . It is all new to me at present just getting over the treatment and resting. I have had a few headaches since treatment but side effects of treatment can cause this from what I have read. I will be speaking to my consultant next Thursday.

Scooby123❤️

Scooby123
            Participant

Hi Christne,

Scooby123❤️

Christine.P
                Participant

Thank you, Scooby. I appreciate your answer. 

Gwenmorgan
                  Participant

Hi Christine,

I originally thought my headaches were from too much computer time for work.  I went to an eye doctor and was prescribed a very slight glasses prescription that “might” be able to help.

Within a few weeks the headaches would come from exercise or exertion and could last multiple days.  Lots of naps (or staying in bed trying to nap)and Aleve.

One day, I took my children to a convenience store and opened the commercial refrigerator and the coldness hit my head like an explosion and I could barely walk to the car.  It happened again another day when I opened the freezer at my home.

Then headaches came with nausea.  I had seen my general practitioner twice complaining of headaches and swollen glands in my neck.  The third time I vomited all over his office – that was when he sent me for an MRI – where we found the 3 brain mets.

I currently have 9 brain mets that have been treated with cyberknife and I seem to always have a mild headache – normally behind my eyes or at the original craniotomy site.  It could be stress, sinus issues, or just that there is a lot of activity with three children.

Gwenmorgan
                    Participant

Also,  I had what I refer to as "sparkles" which are like mini muscle spasms or twitches on my left side- hands ands legs.  Like electrical pulses. I have also had issues with my left leg feeling numb, sort of dragging when I walk and 1 seizure. 

Gwenmorgan
                      Participant

Also,  I had what I refer to as "sparkles" which are like mini muscle spasms or twitches on my left side- hands ands legs.  Like electrical pulses. I have also had issues with my left leg feeling numb, sort of dragging when I walk and 1 seizure. 

Gwenmorgan
                        Participant

Gwenmorgan
                          Participant

Hi Christine,

I originally thought my headaches were from too much computer time for work.  I went to an eye doctor and was prescribed a very slight glasses prescription that “might” be able to help.

Within a few weeks the headaches would come from exercise or exertion and could last multiple days.  Lots of naps (or staying in bed trying to nap)and Aleve.

One day, I took my children to a convenience store and opened the commercial refrigerator and the coldness hit my head like an explosion and I could barely walk to the car.  It happened again another day when I opened the freezer at my home.

Then headaches came with nausea.  I had seen my general practitioner twice complaining of headaches and swollen glands in my neck.  The third time I vomited all over his office – that was when he sent me for an MRI – where we found the 3 brain mets.

I currently have 9 brain mets that have been treated with cyberknife and I seem to always have a mild headache – normally behind my eyes or at the original craniotomy site.  It could be stress, sinus issues, or just that there is a lot of activity with three children.

Gwenmorgan
                            Participant

Hi Christine,

Christine.P
                              Participant

Christine.P
                                Participant

Kim K
                                Participant

You may also be having symptoms of a swollen pituitary gland from the nivo.  It is located right where you are describing and can put pressure on the optic nerves causing the vision and dizziness plust fatiuge / nausea.  It is good to discuss this as soon as you are able with your medical team.  

Call the weekend nurse because if it is due to an inflammed pituitary the damage may be permanent.  They can set up an appointment ahead of time to get you worked up before your next infusion.  If you don't, they may delay treatment only to do what they would get started sooner than later.

If it is due to hypophitis (inflammation of the pituitary) you won't get your next treatment.  If you stay quiet so you can get the meds, it can be made worse.

Your symptoms are serious enough to at least place the call to the on-call nursing staff to get the ball rolling, but not quite get to the ER ASAP.  Please call and let us know how things go.

Kim K
                                  Participant

You may also be having symptoms of a swollen pituitary gland from the nivo.  It is located right where you are describing and can put pressure on the optic nerves causing the vision and dizziness plust fatiuge / nausea.  It is good to discuss this as soon as you are able with your medical team.  

Call the weekend nurse because if it is due to an inflammed pituitary the damage may be permanent.  They can set up an appointment ahead of time to get you worked up before your next infusion.  If you don't, they may delay treatment only to do what they would get started sooner than later.

If it is due to hypophitis (inflammation of the pituitary) you won't get your next treatment.  If you stay quiet so you can get the meds, it can be made worse.

Your symptoms are serious enough to at least place the call to the on-call nursing staff to get the ball rolling, but not quite get to the ER ASAP.  Please call and let us know how things go.

Christine.P
                                      Participant

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate you sharing your experiences with me. And, thank you, Kim, for the info on the pituitary. I will call today and when I know something, I will post an update. 

Christine.P
                                        Participant

Thank you, everyone. I appreciate you sharing your experiences with me. And, thank you, Kim, for the info on the pituitary. I will call today and when I know something, I will post an update. 

MoiraM
                                          Participant

Yes, it sounds like my symptoms when I had had my fourth infusion of Ipi.  I did not catch on, because I had had fatigue as a side effect of infusion two and three.

By the time I relaised that there was something serious wrong, I had permanent damage to my anterior pituitary.

MoiraM
                                            Participant

Yes, it sounds like my symptoms when I had had my fourth infusion of Ipi.  I did not catch on, because I had had fatigue as a side effect of infusion two and three.

By the time I relaised that there was something serious wrong, I had permanent damage to my anterior pituitary.

MoiraM
                                              Participant

Christine.P
                                                Participant

Kim K
                                                Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics