The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Any insight?

Forums General Melanoma Community Any insight?

Participant

This was yesterday's update… http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/sorry-its-not-update-i-was-hoping-give

I sent a few emails out for advice or trial options. One doctor replied to my email, he suggests to stop the Zelboraf, have the radiation oncologist address any growing lesions in my head, and then resume IL2 with or without Zelboraf. (after the break during radiation).

This was yesterday's update… http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/sorry-its-not-update-i-was-hoping-give

I sent a few emails out for advice or trial options. One doctor replied to my email, he suggests to stop the Zelboraf, have the radiation oncologist address any growing lesions in my head, and then resume IL2 with or without Zelboraf. (after the break during radiation).

I did IL2 in September of 2010, my first therapy. I  tolerated it well, 14bags, and 9 bags. And although it wasn't my magic bullet, it did appear to get rid of the tumor in my liver. Maybe another round after every thing else I've done could be beneficial? Not sure if people ever have any luck trying IL2 more than once? Or doing IL2 while on Zelboraf?

Just want to see if any of you have any advice or insight on this. I truly trust this Doctor, he's been my guy since day one. But you've all been there since day one too, so your opinions are just as important. Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

-Kevin

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        goldengirls2011
        Participant

I can't offer any advice, but I do offer up for you – many, many prayers – that you beat this beast!

Cathy

goldengirls2011
          Participant

I can't offer any advice, but I do offer up for you – many, many prayers – that you beat this beast!

Cathy

goldengirls2011
            Participant

Cathy

LynnLuc
              Participant

I posted on yesterdays update.. also.. Have you considered Dabrafenib / BREAK 3 trials??  

http://chicago2012.asco.org/ASCODailyNews/LBA8500.aspx

"Dr. Kirkwood announced an unprecedented overall intracranial disease control rate of 81% in Cohort A and 89% in Cohort B for patients with V600E mutations, with a median duration of intracranial response of 20.1 weeks and 28.1 weeks, respectively. Both cohorts had an overall survival rate over 30%. Results were positive for overall intracranial response, overall response, and median progression-free survival." ~Lynn

bikerwife
                  Participant
                    I’m new to all this and don’t understand all of this stuff. But I have a question about your meds. Since zelobraf is available by prescription know and if your dr prescribes it why can’t you keep taking it. I can send u the companies name that helps pay for our zelobraf.
                    LynnLuc
                    Participant

They want you off the meds before doing radiation…there is enough complications with radiation and doing the drug would cause more problems then benefits…

LynnLuc
                      Participant

They want you off the meds before doing radiation…there is enough complications with radiation and doing the drug would cause more problems then benefits…

LynnLuc
                        Participant

himynameiskevin
                          Participant

I haven't stopped yet, going to get more information on stopping tomorrow. I suppose I could keep taking it, but I think since the tumors are progressing, the Zelboraf is no longer working. And if it's not working theres no need to be taking it and having to deal with toxicity/side effects, as seldom as they are. I was told to hold onto the pills as I may start to take them again.

himynameiskevin
                            Participant

I haven't stopped yet, going to get more information on stopping tomorrow. I suppose I could keep taking it, but I think since the tumors are progressing, the Zelboraf is no longer working. And if it's not working theres no need to be taking it and having to deal with toxicity/side effects, as seldom as they are. I was told to hold onto the pills as I may start to take them again.

himynameiskevin
                              Participant

bikerwife
                                Participant
                                  I’m new to all this and don’t understand all of this stuff. But I have a question about your meds. Since zelobraf is available by prescription know and if your dr prescribes it why can’t you keep taking it. I can send u the companies name that helps pay for our zelobraf.
                                  bikerwife
                                  Participant
                                    himynameiskevin
                                    Participant

I've heard about  this and a couple other trials, for a bit is was the steroid i was on that was making me ineligible. but now, it's the brain, can't find many trials that take people with head issues and the ones that do, usually have a limit. Commonly one or three. I had 10 SRSed in February and now a few more are showing. :/

himynameiskevin
                                      Participant

I've heard about  this and a couple other trials, for a bit is was the steroid i was on that was making me ineligible. but now, it's the brain, can't find many trials that take people with head issues and the ones that do, usually have a limit. Commonly one or three. I had 10 SRSed in February and now a few more are showing. :/

himynameiskevin
                                        Participant

LynnLuc
                                        Participant

I posted on yesterdays update.. also.. Have you considered Dabrafenib / BREAK 3 trials??  

"Dr. Kirkwood announced an unprecedented overall intracranial disease control rate of 81% in Cohort A and 89% in Cohort B for patients with V600E mutations, with a median duration of intracranial response of 20.1 weeks and 28.1 weeks, respectively. Both cohorts had an overall survival rate over 30%. Results were positive for overall intracranial response, overall response, and median progression-free survival." ~Lynn

LynnLuc
                                          Participant

James from Sydney
                                            Participant

Hi Kevin if the lesions are tiny have they mentioned Gamma knife, then maybe Anti PD1 as someone else suggested. I have also heard that Dabrafenib has shown good responses in some recent new data, maybe add a MEK inhibitor as the combo of BRAF and MEK might give you the extra punch required.

best wishes 

James

James from Sydney
                                              Participant

Hi Kevin if the lesions are tiny have they mentioned Gamma knife, then maybe Anti PD1 as someone else suggested. I have also heard that Dabrafenib has shown good responses in some recent new data, maybe add a MEK inhibitor as the combo of BRAF and MEK might give you the extra punch required.

best wishes 

James

James from Sydney
                                                Participant

best wishes 

James

Gene_S
                                                  Participant

Kevin, You MUST see the video at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvOCWB9RPGQ

I have watched this video and melanoma is mentioned frequently.

The woman in this video is Mary Harrington 480-899-8701

Hospital Meridien is in Mexico.

Brave-Souls.com – Fighting Cancer Around the World

1. It should be noted that the narrator Mike Anderson father died from melanoma.

Here is a review of the dvd:

http://www.vegparadise.com/media13.html

Also see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JfVL2u4bu4&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=aLzCev4XaWQ&NR=1

Also I would have my vitamin D-3 levels checked as soon as possible.

Best wishes,

Gene

Gene_S
                                                    Participant

1. It should be noted that the narrator Mike Anderson father died from melanoma.

Best wishes,

Gene

himynameiskevin
                                                        Participant

Thanks for the info, I can't say I've fully dedicated myself to any of these diets, but I have and do continue to eat pretty healthy, I actually work in an all Organic Vegetarian Marketplace here in San Diego, that Charlotte Gerson frequents. Two of my coworkers worked for her personally. I've been a cook in our deli/resturant area for almost seven years. I agree that the food we eat plays a huge role in our healing capabilities. I've tried this and that, Gerson, macrobiotic, vegetarian, paleo… some left me feeling better than others, but it can be a little stressful. Over the years I've kind of developed my own diet now that I feel works best for me. Adding or subtracting certain elements as I learn and listen to my body, eating what leaves me feeling happy and healthy.

bikerwife
                                                          Participant
                                                            Our dr never. Said we had to be off z before the gamma knife. We are having gamma for 2 small lesions and we had 5 did in feb and it worked. So if they are small you may want to check into it.

I have a 24 year old son and I can’t imagine him going through this. May God keep you strong and health.

bikerwife
                                                            Participant
                                                              Our dr never. Said we had to be off z before the gamma knife. We are having gamma for 2 small lesions and we had 5 did in feb and it worked. So if they are small you may want to check into it.

I have a 24 year old son and I can’t imagine him going through this. May God keep you strong and health.

bikerwife
                                                              Participant

deardad
                                                                Participant

You know Kevin,

I think eating sensibly is the key. I think that if we lived in a perfect world where everyone ate raw foods, there would probably be less cancers around.

Realistically going from a sensible diet to a very strict vegan diet, isn't where the cure lies.

Sounds like you are already living a healthy lifestyle, so don't sweat over these strict diets.

Live your life, stay positive and keep researching treatments is all I can suggest.

Take care Kevin, 

Nahmi

deardad
                                                                  Participant

You know Kevin,

I think eating sensibly is the key. I think that if we lived in a perfect world where everyone ate raw foods, there would probably be less cancers around.

Realistically going from a sensible diet to a very strict vegan diet, isn't where the cure lies.

Sounds like you are already living a healthy lifestyle, so don't sweat over these strict diets.

Live your life, stay positive and keep researching treatments is all I can suggest.

Take care Kevin, 

Nahmi

deardad
                                                                    Participant

You know Kevin,

Take care Kevin, 

Nahmi

killmel
                                                                      Participant

Kevin,

I am so impressed with your attitude. I agree with you that the brain mets need to be dealt with first .

Is there any way to push up your PET/CT scans so that you have a clear picture how Yervoy &  "Z" has worked for you.

Once you have the whole picture of your cancer burden, maybe it would be easier to pick your next treatment.

Are you being treated by Dr. Daniels??/ If so, you are in good hands and I would take his advice.

Please letus know what you decide…

God Bless You,

Mike

killmel
                                                                        Participant

Kevin,

I am so impressed with your attitude. I agree with you that the brain mets need to be dealt with first .

Is there any way to push up your PET/CT scans so that you have a clear picture how Yervoy &  "Z" has worked for you.

Once you have the whole picture of your cancer burden, maybe it would be easier to pick your next treatment.

Are you being treated by Dr. Daniels??/ If so, you are in good hands and I would take his advice.

God Bless You,

Mike

killmel
                                                                          Participant

Kevin,

God Bless You,

Mike

himynameiskevin
                                                                            Participant

Hi Mike, I called imaging about the PETCT but apparently they going to call me and maybe waiting for the Drs order? Maybe the docs wanted to see the MRI first and now since they're focusing on the Brain they're waiting on the PETCT? Not sure, but I am seeing the radiation oncologist first thing in the morning, in person. Hopefully she'll tell me the new ones are SRS-able and have some more answers. She works in the same building as the oncologist who has me on Zelboraf and should be ordering the PETCT. Dr Daniels' my main guy, I did IL2 and Yervoy with him, we've exchanged a few emails this past day and he should be in contact with me and the other doc. Hopefully a new "plan" will fall into place over the next few days. But if possible, SRSing my head and trying IL2 again under Dr Daniels, with or without being on Z sounds good. At this point just about any "plan" sounds good if you know what I mean.

himynameiskevin
                                                                              Participant

Hi Mike, I called imaging about the PETCT but apparently they going to call me and maybe waiting for the Drs order? Maybe the docs wanted to see the MRI first and now since they're focusing on the Brain they're waiting on the PETCT? Not sure, but I am seeing the radiation oncologist first thing in the morning, in person. Hopefully she'll tell me the new ones are SRS-able and have some more answers. She works in the same building as the oncologist who has me on Zelboraf and should be ordering the PETCT. Dr Daniels' my main guy, I did IL2 and Yervoy with him, we've exchanged a few emails this past day and he should be in contact with me and the other doc. Hopefully a new "plan" will fall into place over the next few days. But if possible, SRSing my head and trying IL2 again under Dr Daniels, with or without being on Z sounds good. At this point just about any "plan" sounds good if you know what I mean.

himynameiskevin
                                                                                Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                  Participant

Kevin, I have spent hundreds of hours researching a cure for my stage IV melanoma before I was accepted on a clinical trail and I personally believe that the worst thing you can believe in is "OK, Your the Doctor."  Doctors know very little about diet  and the real causes and cures for all types of cancer. It is not in their best financial interest to have you cured!  Since you are located close to Mexico and your present course of treatment is questionable why not investigate the possibilities that are close at hand to you? I personally was consideration Clipsa for treatment…  You need to keep moving and learning as melanoma is a fast growing cancer and you are a young man that needs to grow old!

Best wishes,

Gene

PS. You also need to research the so called theory that "The Sun" caused your melanoma as I for one believe that the lack of the sun and all of the chemicals in products as well as the water we drink that we consume as well as your daily lifestyle causes all cancers. God created the Sun and I am sure that He had the best intentions for us to benefit from it!

More info about Mexico at:

himynameiskevin
                                                                                    Participant

Hi Gene, thanks for your concern. I agree there's is an over abundance of carcinogens and chemicals in processed foods and lifestyles. I understand all the debates between diets, and doctors, and conspiracies, and big pharm, and financial interest. These were the majority of conversations I listened to everyday between multiple coworkers in the kitchen I work at, mainly because I work in a vegetarian health food co-op, so they're hot topics of our store and customers. Since this medical situation started, the information was coming at me from everyone. So I paid attention, to understand, and I do, more than ever I think. But personally I don't think any side is completely right or wrong. So I continue to just go with my gut, on all aspects. I eat extremely healthy, but sometimes I eat pizza, or have a doughnut. I've met doctors who agree with the importance of diet and some who don't. I've met doctor's that I felt good about and some I felt skeptical about. I think all side's intentions are great, but some have flaws and could maybe learn from each other if they'd take the time. I've feel I've benefited sooo much from doctor's care and also my diet and lifestyle. I think that's where potential cures may lie. Some of this and some of that. But I can't say for sure, it's just my theory, right in the middle of the grey area.   

I do agree with you that I don't think "the sun" caused my melanoma. Luckily none of my doctors do either. They all seem to agree it was "the burn". Being born and growing up in Tucson AZ, I spent my whole life in the sun, I was always fine because when my skin felt hot, I'd get in the shade. But in the summer of 2005, while helping a friend with his grandmothers yard work, I foolishly thought it would be safe to get a bit burnt, work without a shirt on for 6 hours, and get my brown arms to match my white torso. Come the next day I had what was described as a second degree sunburn all over my upper back. Indescribable pain, dozens of dripping blisters, inability to move either arm in any direction for days. Then in 2007 I felt an new/odd mole right in the middle of where the burn was. I read up and realized with my fair skin, blond hair, blue eyes and that burn incident. This could be bad, sure enough it was. It makes undeniable sense. Sun's great for you, but too much of anything, even good things, can be terrible for you. I brought it on myself. I just didn't know, didn't know what skin cancer was or how people got it. Was never taught and was completely naive. "Had I known than what I know now…" is something I commonly think, but try not to dwell on it too much. Best I can do is keep moving forward, try to educate and help get awareness out there, using myself as an example. And encourage people to not make my mistake. I say eat well, feel good, take care of yourself, listen to your body, love the sun, take it in, it nourishes most every living thing on this planet. Just be careful, because like any living thing, too much or too little of it, can be… can't think of the right word.. just "not good".

JC
                                                                                      Participant

I didn't realize melanoma can be traced back to a single sunburn incident.  Wow, if that doesn't tell you the sun damages us and causes this, I don't know what else will.

himynameiskevin
                                                                                        Participant

From what I've been told over the years, is that Melanoma seems to specifically come from extremely high doses of UV rays that cause burns and reddening of the skin. Such as laying at the beach for too long midday or going to tanning booths, and carcinomas seem to come from too much sun in general but not necessarily burns. But I don't actually know, it's just what I've been told.

himynameiskevin
                                                                                          Participant

From what I've been told over the years, is that Melanoma seems to specifically come from extremely high doses of UV rays that cause burns and reddening of the skin. Such as laying at the beach for too long midday or going to tanning booths, and carcinomas seem to come from too much sun in general but not necessarily burns. But I don't actually know, it's just what I've been told.

himynameiskevin
                                                                                            Participant

JC
                                                                                              Participant

I didn't realize melanoma can be traced back to a single sunburn incident.  Wow, if that doesn't tell you the sun damages us and causes this, I don't know what else will.

JC
                                                                                                Participant

himynameiskevin
                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Gene, thanks for your concern. I agree there's is an over abundance of carcinogens and chemicals in processed foods and lifestyles. I understand all the debates between diets, and doctors, and conspiracies, and big pharm, and financial interest. These were the majority of conversations I listened to everyday between multiple coworkers in the kitchen I work at, mainly because I work in a vegetarian health food co-op, so they're hot topics of our store and customers. Since this medical situation started, the information was coming at me from everyone. So I paid attention, to understand, and I do, more than ever I think. But personally I don't think any side is completely right or wrong. So I continue to just go with my gut, on all aspects. I eat extremely healthy, but sometimes I eat pizza, or have a doughnut. I've met doctors who agree with the importance of diet and some who don't. I've met doctor's that I felt good about and some I felt skeptical about. I think all side's intentions are great, but some have flaws and could maybe learn from each other if they'd take the time. I've feel I've benefited sooo much from doctor's care and also my diet and lifestyle. I think that's where potential cures may lie. Some of this and some of that. But I can't say for sure, it's just my theory, right in the middle of the grey area.   

I do agree with you that I don't think "the sun" caused my melanoma. Luckily none of my doctors do either. They all seem to agree it was "the burn". Being born and growing up in Tucson AZ, I spent my whole life in the sun, I was always fine because when my skin felt hot, I'd get in the shade. But in the summer of 2005, while helping a friend with his grandmothers yard work, I foolishly thought it would be safe to get a bit burnt, work without a shirt on for 6 hours, and get my brown arms to match my white torso. Come the next day I had what was described as a second degree sunburn all over my upper back. Indescribable pain, dozens of dripping blisters, inability to move either arm in any direction for days. Then in 2007 I felt an new/odd mole right in the middle of where the burn was. I read up and realized with my fair skin, blond hair, blue eyes and that burn incident. This could be bad, sure enough it was. It makes undeniable sense. Sun's great for you, but too much of anything, even good things, can be terrible for you. I brought it on myself. I just didn't know, didn't know what skin cancer was or how people got it. Was never taught and was completely naive. "Had I known than what I know now…" is something I commonly think, but try not to dwell on it too much. Best I can do is keep moving forward, try to educate and help get awareness out there, using myself as an example. And encourage people to not make my mistake. I say eat well, feel good, take care of yourself, listen to your body, love the sun, take it in, it nourishes most every living thing on this planet. Just be careful, because like any living thing, too much or too little of it, can be… can't think of the right word.. just "not good".

himynameiskevin
                                                                                                    Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                                      Participant

Kevin, I have spent hundreds of hours researching a cure for my stage IV melanoma before I was accepted on a clinical trail and I personally believe that the worst thing you can believe in is "OK, Your the Doctor."  Doctors know very little about diet  and the real causes and cures for all types of cancer. It is not in their best financial interest to have you cured!  Since you are located close to Mexico and your present course of treatment is questionable why not investigate the possibilities that are close at hand to you? I personally was consideration Clipsa for treatment…  You need to keep moving and learning as melanoma is a fast growing cancer and you are a young man that needs to grow old!

Best wishes,

Gene

PS. You also need to research the so called theory that "The Sun" caused your melanoma as I for one believe that the lack of the sun and all of the chemicals in products as well as the water we drink that we consume as well as your daily lifestyle causes all cancers. God created the Sun and I am sure that He had the best intentions for us to benefit from it!

Gene_S
                                                                                                        Participant

Best wishes,

Gene

himynameiskevin
                                                                                                          Participant

Thanks for the info, I can't say I've fully dedicated myself to any of these diets, but I have and do continue to eat pretty healthy, I actually work in an all Organic Vegetarian Marketplace here in San Diego, that Charlotte Gerson frequents. Two of my coworkers worked for her personally. I've been a cook in our deli/resturant area for almost seven years. I agree that the food we eat plays a huge role in our healing capabilities. I've tried this and that, Gerson, macrobiotic, vegetarian, paleo… some left me feeling better than others, but it can be a little stressful. Over the years I've kind of developed my own diet now that I feel works best for me. Adding or subtracting certain elements as I learn and listen to my body, eating what leaves me feeling happy and healthy.

himynameiskevin
                                                                                                            Participant

Gene_S
                                                                                                            Participant

Best wishes,

Gene

awillett1991
                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                I’ve been following your story for awhile Keven and although it sounds like you are taking care of yourself with diet in the way you feel is best, you have a doc you trust which is paramount, and a great attitude. Mel is so complex I believe it will take many methods to cure it and if you responded to IL 2, maybe its a great place to start. I am on Zel but truly believe it alone us not the answer for me. Follow your heart and keep fighting.
                                                                                                                awillett1991
                                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                                  I’ve been following your story for awhile Keven and although it sounds like you are taking care of yourself with diet in the way you feel is best, you have a doc you trust which is paramount, and a great attitude. Mel is so complex I believe it will take many methods to cure it and if you responded to IL 2, maybe its a great place to start. I am on Zel but truly believe it alone us not the answer for me. Follow your heart and keep fighting.
                                                                                                                  awillett1991
                                                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                                                Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics