The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Another bump in the road

Forums General Melanoma Community Another bump in the road

Participant

Sunday morning after coffee and shower, my husband got a heart palpitation. He has a history

of minor palpitations (about 120 -130 bpm) and lies down, meditates, bears down, takes a lo-dose

xanax and it goes away. Only 1 or 2 times a year. This time it wouldnt stop and we have a monitor

I checked it was 189! Hospital is 5 minutes away, so i rushed him to er, they gave him a iv med

that basically stopped his heart for a few seconds to interupt the rhythm. Worked immediately.

Sunday morning after coffee and shower, my husband got a heart palpitation. He has a history

of minor palpitations (about 120 -130 bpm) and lies down, meditates, bears down, takes a lo-dose

xanax and it goes away. Only 1 or 2 times a year. This time it wouldnt stop and we have a monitor

I checked it was 189! Hospital is 5 minutes away, so i rushed him to er, they gave him a iv med

that basically stopped his heart for a few seconds to interupt the rhythm. Worked immediately.

Then of course,, ekg, ct, blood work, everything normal, kept him overnite for observation.

MEANWHILE, we have 2nd Yervoy scheduled for Tuesday, mti/ct prep Wednes. for cyberknife Friday

for 5 small brain mets. Oncologist came in and saw him and sees no problem in continuing the plan,

does  not think treatment effected heart and suggested a long-acting beta blocker for the heart palp. issue. Hubby feels

better and we are going for it! but honestly what a roller coaster. But the great news is, BRAF test came back positive,

so Zelboraf is on the table but doc ants to continue Yervoy and assess after scans, then depending on response may 

start Zelboraf. I am hopeful, we at least have a plan B. Meanwhile Im fighting cold/sinus/sore throat/who knows what,

pretty miserable and trying to care for hubby without getting him additionally ill. Tough couple of days.

Vicki

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Tina D
        Participant

Wow, Vicki! I should say it HAS been a rough couple of days. Glad everything is ok with him now and that this wont delay treatments. Sounds like you have a busy busy week ahead. Good news that the Zelboraf can also be an option if needed later on, but  hopefully the Yervoy will do the trick all on its own ๐Ÿ™‚   . Take care of yourself so you can throw off this cold!! Hopefully after this week you two can have a bit of a respite from the busy-ness and ride the slower scenic rides for a while – not the roller coaster.

Tina

randallgford
            Participant

Thanks, yes I am looking forward to a slower week ahead. And he has two days off this week

and next week for Jewish holidays (his employer) so we'll take it!!

randallgford
              Participant

Thanks, yes I am looking forward to a slower week ahead. And he has two days off this week

randallgford
                Participant

Tina D
                Participant

Wow, Vicki! I should say it HAS been a rough couple of days. Glad everything is ok with him now and that this wont delay treatments. Sounds like you have a busy busy week ahead. Good news that the Zelboraf can also be an option if needed later on, but  hopefully the Yervoy will do the trick all on its own ๐Ÿ™‚   . Take care of yourself so you can throw off this cold!! Hopefully after this week you two can have a bit of a respite from the busy-ness and ride the slower scenic rides for a while – not the roller coaster.

Tina

Tina D
                  Participant

Tina

awillett1991
                    Participant
                      Hydrate hydrate hydrate! Yervoy still, even though I finished it in Dec, does something to easily dehydrate me and throws my heart off. I’m on a beta blocker already from Zel, no problems with it. Did make me sleepy the first week, and then the next as we adjusted up the dose but now no problems. Hang in there!! He might want to give up the caffeine in the morning particularly. That’s when I’m most dehydrated from sleeping all night. Glad you got him to the ER. Hang in there!
                        randallgford
                        Participant

Yes he is totally off coffee. We were just discussing the hydration issue – Ive always

noticed he doesnt drink near enough water. I have to start cracking the whip, and the

lab employee today told him he needs to drink more to keep his blood flowing well

for all the labs. Thanks!

randallgford
                          Participant

Yes he is totally off coffee. We were just discussing the hydration issue – Ive always

noticed he doesnt drink near enough water. I have to start cracking the whip, and the

lab employee today told him he needs to drink more to keep his blood flowing well

randallgford
                            Participant

awillett1991
                            Participant
                              Hydrate hydrate hydrate! Yervoy still, even though I finished it in Dec, does something to easily dehydrate me and throws my heart off. I’m on a beta blocker already from Zel, no problems with it. Did make me sleepy the first week, and then the next as we adjusted up the dose but now no problems. Hang in there!! He might want to give up the caffeine in the morning particularly. That’s when I’m most dehydrated from sleeping all night. Glad you got him to the ER. Hang in there!
                              awillett1991
                              Participant
                            Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics