The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anonymous posting needs to be changed

Forums General Melanoma Community Anonymous posting needs to be changed

Participant

I don't believe writers should have the choice of posting anonymously, as many times it is only to write rude and controversial comments. Please join me in writing to the MRF to ask them to require everyone to use a profile to post. 

I wrote them at the following link:

http://www.melanoma.org/learn-more/contact-us?sid=1404

I will not be responding to any posts on this link. Yes, that's to you, Mr. Anonymous. 

I don't believe writers should have the choice of posting anonymously, as many times it is only to write rude and controversial comments. Please join me in writing to the MRF to ask them to require everyone to use a profile to post. 

I wrote them at the following link:

http://www.melanoma.org/learn-more/contact-us?sid=1404

I will not be responding to any posts on this link. Yes, that's to you, Mr. Anonymous. 

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Teodora

It is called Freedom of Speech.

Prohibiting people from expressing their views and opinions  is called censorship and it's being practised in communistic dictatorships  like China and North Korea.

This is a democratic country where people are FREE to express their  view and opinions.You can start reading the US constitution as a begining.

The fact that  you personally do not like them does not make them "offensive" or "controversial".

Good Luck,

akls
            Participant

Funny you feel this way since you are trying to get the posts removed from the forum that you find "offensive" or "controversial".  Seems to me you are being a little hypocritcal.

And by the way, your opinion on interferon is valid, but when someone makes a choice to do it we should be supportive of that decision.  It is a tough decision to make and no one needs to be reminded about the statistics once they decide on treatment.  I'm pretty sure we have all looked at the research and some of us feel doing something even if it's a long shot is better than doing nothing. 

Amy S. in Michigan

Teodora

I am not sure what "removal" you are implying about.

I made a point that specific postings should be posted to the appropriate already created for that  purpose section.

This is not exactly "removal".

You can be supportive of Interferon.It is your right.

I am not.

So where did you say the problem is?

Teodora

I am not sure what "removal" you are implying about.

I made a point that specific postings should be posted to the appropriate already created for that  purpose section.

This is not exactly "removal".

You can be supportive of Interferon.It is your right.

I am not.

So where did you say the problem is?

MichaelFL
                  Participant

Once again:

You have no inherent right to "freedom of speech" on an internet forum. The First Amendment does not mean you can say anything you want, anywhere you want, with no consequences whatsoever.

It means that the government can't tell you to shut up and that you can expound upon your political beliefs all the live-long day without fear of government reprisal.

It does not mean that no one else can tell you to shut up. So shut up!

Teodora

Wow, you've got a real class ,Lady……because I am sure only a woman can be so nasty , and a sad one too………your poor,poor husband…….if you have one that is ,which I strongly doubt…………

Best Regards.

akls
                      Participant

I hope this isn't a personal attack on me assuming that I'm the anonymous who posted the comment after mine.  I have only posted anonymously once when I had a personal question to ask not because I wanted to personally attack people on this board which, by the way, you have done many times. 

I am happily married 21 years thank you.  When I have something to say I have the guts to post using my account. 

I understand how upsetting it is to read about the losses on this site.  I'll admit there are times I have to stop myself from coming here because it's so hard to face the reality of this disease.  When I get feeling like that I stay away.  If  I can't read another post about somone losing their fight, I don't read it.  It's a choice we make to come here.  We read what we want and if it gets to be too much, we stop reading.  Pretty simple really. 

Amy S. in Michigan

akls
                        Participant

I hope this isn't a personal attack on me assuming that I'm the anonymous who posted the comment after mine.  I have only posted anonymously once when I had a personal question to ask not because I wanted to personally attack people on this board which, by the way, you have done many times. 

I am happily married 21 years thank you.  When I have something to say I have the guts to post using my account. 

I understand how upsetting it is to read about the losses on this site.  I'll admit there are times I have to stop myself from coming here because it's so hard to face the reality of this disease.  When I get feeling like that I stay away.  If  I can't read another post about somone losing their fight, I don't read it.  It's a choice we make to come here.  We read what we want and if it gets to be too much, we stop reading.  Pretty simple really. 

Amy S. in Michigan

Teodora

Amy,

I am just saying a time comes when enough is enough in terms of the  quantity of the publicised grieving and multiple postings over the same  event and /some/relatives maybe should try to  make an attemp to move on for their own sake and the sake of the melanoma patients on this website.Do not mean to be cruel but it is a fine balancing act where every aspect should be carefully considered,including the sentiments of the still surviving  melanoma patients.I hope you agree-or somewhat.

Teodora

Amy,

I am just saying a time comes when enough is enough in terms of the  quantity of the publicised grieving and multiple postings over the same  event and /some/relatives maybe should try to  make an attemp to move on for their own sake and the sake of the melanoma patients on this website.Do not mean to be cruel but it is a fine balancing act where every aspect should be carefully considered,including the sentiments of the still surviving  melanoma patients.I hope you agree-or somewhat.

Teodora

Wow, you've got a real class ,Lady……because I am sure only a woman can be so nasty , and a sad one too………your poor,poor husband…….if you have one that is ,which I strongly doubt…………

Best Regards.

MichaelFL
                                Participant

Once again:

You have no inherent right to "freedom of speech" on an internet forum. The First Amendment does not mean you can say anything you want, anywhere you want, with no consequences whatsoever.

It means that the government can't tell you to shut up and that you can expound upon your political beliefs all the live-long day without fear of government reprisal.

It does not mean that no one else can tell you to shut up. So shut up!

akls
                                  Participant

Funny you feel this way since you are trying to get the posts removed from the forum that you find "offensive" or "controversial".  Seems to me you are being a little hypocritcal.

And by the way, your opinion on interferon is valid, but when someone makes a choice to do it we should be supportive of that decision.  It is a tough decision to make and no one needs to be reminded about the statistics once they decide on treatment.  I'm pretty sure we have all looked at the research and some of us feel doing something even if it's a long shot is better than doing nothing. 

Amy S. in Michigan

MichaelFL
                                    Participant

MRF Bulletin Board Policies

No personal attacks of any kind will be tolerated

Slanderous posts impugning the character or ability of any health care provider are not allowed.

Slanderous posts impugning the care received or service provided by any health care institution are not allowed.

No abusive or obscene language will be tolerated.

No commercial posts of any kind are allowed.

Posts in violation of the above will be removed.

You need to be removed as you do not follow the rules of the forum and respect the other group members.

MichaelFL
                                      Participant

MRF Bulletin Board Policies

No personal attacks of any kind will be tolerated

Slanderous posts impugning the character or ability of any health care provider are not allowed.

Slanderous posts impugning the care received or service provided by any health care institution are not allowed.

You need to be removed as you do not follow the rules of the forum and respect the other group members.

Teodora

"No personal attacks of any kind will be tolerated

You need to be removed as you do not follow the rules of the forum and respect the other group members. ""

Well apparently none of those infringements  were identified  since all anonymous postings were allowed .Even the ones  about "booze" and "hit the road ".

Don't you agree?

Teodora

"No personal attacks of any kind will be tolerated

You need to be removed as you do not follow the rules of the forum and respect the other group members. ""

Well apparently none of those infringements  were identified  since all anonymous postings were allowed .Even the ones  about "booze" and "hit the road ".

Don't you agree?

mombase
                                            Participant

Who says you don't have freedom of speech? You would like to do "anonymous" drive-by's, saying whatever you want without any accountability. That, sir or madam, is not freedom of speech.

Teodora

Accountability?To Whom?Are you a judge or a court or something? Accountability for What?Everybody has the right to post their opinions here-and if anonymous option is given , it is every individua'sl option to choose  to use it or not without further explanation.Simple as that,Lady.

Teodora

Accountability?To Whom?Are you a judge or a court or something? Accountability for What?Everybody has the right to post their opinions here-and if anonymous option is given , it is every individua'sl option to choose  to use it or not without further explanation.Simple as that,Lady.

mombase
                                                  Participant

Who says you don't have freedom of speech? You would like to do "anonymous" drive-by's, saying whatever you want without any accountability. That, sir or madam, is not freedom of speech.

Teodora

It is called Freedom of Speech.

Prohibiting people from expressing their views and opinions  is called censorship and it's being practised in communistic dictatorships  like China and North Korea.

This is a democratic country where people are FREE to express their  view and opinions.You can start reading the US constitution as a begining.

The fact that  you personally do not like them does not make them "offensive" or "controversial".

Good Luck,

eaca
                                                    Participant

Thank you MelanomaMom for the suggestion and the link, which I have followed and made the same request.  This is not against Freedom of Speech – on the contrary, it is requesting that people stand behind the posts that they make to encourage more interesting, informative, supportive and understanding messages.

Elisa

Teodora

Elisa,

It is a good request ,I fully support you.

So next time hopefully we will all know which  people are behind personal attacks of the sort of  "get off the booze","hit the road" and "shut up"…..totally unacceptable.

I made a similar request together with the request all the obituaries/tributes to be directed  to the proper section of the website.

eaca
                                                          Participant

Anonymous,

Then may I respectfully ask why you are still posting as Anonymous if you support the request?  I'm curious as to others' motivations.

Elisa

eaca
                                                            Participant

Anonymous,

Then may I respectfully ask why you are still posting as Anonymous if you support the request?  I'm curious as to others' motivations.

Elisa

Teodora

Elisa,

It is a good request ,I fully support you.

So next time hopefully we will all know which  people are behind personal attacks of the sort of  "get off the booze","hit the road" and "shut up"…..totally unacceptable.

I made a similar request together with the request all the obituaries/tributes to be directed  to the proper section of the website.

eaca
                                                              Participant

Thank you MelanomaMom for the suggestion and the link, which I have followed and made the same request.  This is not against Freedom of Speech – on the contrary, it is requesting that people stand behind the posts that they make to encourage more interesting, informative, supportive and understanding messages.

Elisa

Janner
                                                                Participant

Anonymous posting was put there for a reason.  There are times when anonymous is exactly what is needed.  If you want to post a sensitive question but you know your caregiver also reads… if the question is embarrasing and you'd prefer not to use your "regular" name.  There are many very valid reasons for posting anonymously.  Since everyone registers to use this board, the MRF knows WHO each anonymous is posting – even if their name doesn't show.  The anonymous posting was discussed by many prior to including it, and the pros outweighed the cons.  I haven't ready any of the supposed offensive posts, but the MRF does know who everyone is and can ban or remove any inappropriate posts. 

Janner

Janner
                                                                  Participant

Anonymous posting was put there for a reason.  There are times when anonymous is exactly what is needed.  If you want to post a sensitive question but you know your caregiver also reads… if the question is embarrasing and you'd prefer not to use your "regular" name.  There are many very valid reasons for posting anonymously.  Since everyone registers to use this board, the MRF knows WHO each anonymous is posting – even if their name doesn't show.  The anonymous posting was discussed by many prior to including it, and the pros outweighed the cons.  I haven't ready any of the supposed offensive posts, but the MRF does know who everyone is and can ban or remove any inappropriate posts. 

Janner

Teodora

Only, Janner, you conveniently omitted to mention that there were quite a bit  offensive postings by quite a few DIFFERRENT Anon's……not only one……and yes, MRF will know who exactly these people   are and hopefully ban them from  posting here in the future.

Which is not a big deal, really as it  is not the end of the world.There are more important things in life that a website you are banned from.

Have a Good night.

Teodora

Only, Janner, you conveniently omitted to mention that there were quite a bit  offensive postings by quite a few DIFFERRENT Anon's……not only one……and yes, MRF will know who exactly these people   are and hopefully ban them from  posting here in the future.

Which is not a big deal, really as it  is not the end of the world.There are more important things in life that a website you are banned from.

Have a Good night.

Charlie S
                                                                        Participant

Give it a rest.  This is not some social networking site for writers, nor is it a site that people overshare mindless and insignificant  details of their life…………………..this is, always has been, and I do hope will always be, an online melanoma cancer support site where the good, the bad and the ugly of dealing with melanoma are openly shared for the benefit and knowledge of all who come here.

Trust  me when I tell you I am abrupt, opinionated and unyielding in certain aspects of melanoma……………..but I have earned that.  Trust me also that I have taken many public spankings here because of that over the years;  not only from posters, but to the Boardroom of the MRF.  Some spankings were well deserved, some were honestly just a difference of opinion, style, passion and substance.  But I nor anyone else was ever denied a voice.

Melanoma, and the reaction to it is often ugly, but it is a path unknown where we each try to leave our own trail as a possible guidepost on the map for others to find some direction.

I've been to many melanoma suppot groups in real life and have seen many people who chose not to give their name, but there was no mistaking their story

So, get over it, if you use the internet as an outlet, you will, sooner or later, get flamed for your words; that is hardly a reason to behave like a child, throw out your lip in a big pout and refuse to participate in a group activity simply because you can't have your way and strike out for some devine intervention that supports your hurt feelings.

It is just not about you, so deal with it.

Again, take what you want and leave the rest.  

Charlie S

Charlie S
                                                                          Participant

Give it a rest.  This is not some social networking site for writers, nor is it a site that people overshare mindless and insignificant  details of their life…………………..this is, always has been, and I do hope will always be, an online melanoma cancer support site where the good, the bad and the ugly of dealing with melanoma are openly shared for the benefit and knowledge of all who come here.

Trust  me when I tell you I am abrupt, opinionated and unyielding in certain aspects of melanoma……………..but I have earned that.  Trust me also that I have taken many public spankings here because of that over the years;  not only from posters, but to the Boardroom of the MRF.  Some spankings were well deserved, some were honestly just a difference of opinion, style, passion and substance.  But I nor anyone else was ever denied a voice.

Melanoma, and the reaction to it is often ugly, but it is a path unknown where we each try to leave our own trail as a possible guidepost on the map for others to find some direction.

I've been to many melanoma suppot groups in real life and have seen many people who chose not to give their name, but there was no mistaking their story

So, get over it, if you use the internet as an outlet, you will, sooner or later, get flamed for your words; that is hardly a reason to behave like a child, throw out your lip in a big pout and refuse to participate in a group activity simply because you can't have your way and strike out for some devine intervention that supports your hurt feelings.

It is just not about you, so deal with it.

Again, take what you want and leave the rest.  

Charlie S

djpayn
                                                                            Participant

Melanoma Mom,

You may not like the anon option, but it is on this board for a reason.

While you have not experienced the pain or embarrasment of certain melanoma issues yourself, you whould try for a moment to put yourself in the shoes of another.

Perhaps that is a patient who has odd thing happening in their private parts, or perhaps it is to simply get advice on something concerning melanoma that you do not want others to know is you.

I have posted anon many times to ask questions and get advice, simply because I do not want my melanoma friends to know it is me asking.

I understand that many times the anon option is used in not so positive ways, but you can rest assured, the MRF will not take that option away.

I sincerely hope that you have the heart to realize not everyone who posts as anon is attempting to verbally hurt another melanoma patient.

djpayn
                                                                              Participant

Melanoma Mom,

You may not like the anon option, but it is on this board for a reason.

While you have not experienced the pain or embarrasment of certain melanoma issues yourself, you whould try for a moment to put yourself in the shoes of another.

Perhaps that is a patient who has odd thing happening in their private parts, or perhaps it is to simply get advice on something concerning melanoma that you do not want others to know is you.

I have posted anon many times to ask questions and get advice, simply because I do not want my melanoma friends to know it is me asking.

I understand that many times the anon option is used in not so positive ways, but you can rest assured, the MRF will not take that option away.

I sincerely hope that you have the heart to realize not everyone who posts as anon is attempting to verbally hurt another melanoma patient.

jag
                                                                                Participant

Melanoma Mom, I am very sorry that I am losing my mind right now and have a pyschological disorder.  I will seek counseling immediately for this treatment.  I am also very sorry to all of the other board members who I have upset.  I am about to have a meltdown because my partner just left me and I have no friends.  Please forgive me for being so nasty like this.  Please, Please, Please.  

jag
                                                                                  Participant

Melanoma Mom, I am very sorry that I am losing my mind right now and have a pyschological disorder.  I will seek counseling immediately for this treatment.  I am also very sorry to all of the other board members who I have upset.  I am about to have a meltdown because my partner just left me and I have no friends.  Please forgive me for being so nasty like this.  Please, Please, Please.  

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics