The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Anne-Louise lung resection

Forums General Melanoma Community Anne-Louise lung resection

Participant

Ok well I listened to y'all!

since my pet and ct showed growth ( from 11mm to 18 mm)and more uptake ( from SUV 3.2 to 7.4) in the last 6 months , I have been to a top surgeon who does the robotic surgery and am booked in for resection of lower right lung lobe next Tuesday. This spot in my lung is the only met that shows up. The surgeon says he needs to take out the whole lobe as the original tumour was so large that what's left beside the current tumour is mainly scar tissue. My oncologists were hesitant as they thought it could be pseudo progression. But doesn't that normally happen in the beginning of infusions. I stopped infusions over a year ago. 

So I am interested in three things

1 am I making the right decision

2 how will the resection affect my quality of life

4 how is recovery and can I fly two long haul flights( 14 hours + 10 hours)  to visit my grandsons for Xmas in New York 5 weeks after surgery. Keep in mind my insurance does not cover me for this pre existing condition. The surgeon says to go. But I'm sure that depends how the op goes. He is 90% sure he can get it with keyhole surgery but if the nodes that tether the lower lobe to the media Steinem are scarred from their previous mets they will be tough as leather and he will have to do the more invasive procedure. 

Does your chest feel empty?

i guess the alternative is wait and see or else try pembro again but docs do not want a recurrence of my auto immune side effects  

Thanks for any thoughts. 

Anne-Louise 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Bubbles
        Participant

Hey Sweetie,

You are in a tough spot indeed.  It is true that pseudo-progression usually does occur earlier.  It sounds like a smaller surgery is possible….just a MAYBE than the lobectomy will be required???  Here's my story:

I had a complete lobectomy of the right upper lobe of my lung in 2010.  Here's the longer version:  My melanoma was in my bronchus….right main stem…pretty high up…with some question as to whether once they cut out that section and the upper lobe if they would have enough remaining bronchus to hook back up to my lower lobes.  So….I was looking at the possibility of the removal of the entire right lung…NOT something I wanted to happen.  However, with concurrent brain mets and no FDA available melanoma treatments at the time, I opted to try it.  Obviously, I came out with only the upper lobe removed via an incision in my right axilla with one other small incision for the scope.  I had been warned if things got complicated, I would have an incision running under and the length of my scapula on my right upper back.  (Funny story:  On the final visit with my thoracic surgeon, I asked how it had gone and how he had managed to leave me the rest of my lung and only use the smaller incision?  He replied, "It was a really good thing you are skinny!!!")

Healing:  I was warned that I may be in the intensive care unit and even on the vent for three days or so post op.  However, I think that was more the scenario they expected if I had had the removal of my entire right lung and the fact that I have asthma.  So….I did well.  Only had the smaller version of the surgery and was taken off the vent in recovery and sent to a room on the floor with a central IV line in my neck, the incision under my arm, a chest tube, urinary catheter and frankly…the most annoying part…inflating bags, much like a BP cuff, to both my calves in order to keep blood from stagnating.  I had one other tube….probably the BEST one…a "walking" epidural, in my back.  My pain meds were administered that way (kind of like the epidural mom's or often given with child birth, but positiioned so that you still feel everything and can walk….just not the thoracic pain….or at least a lot of it!!!) and you get good pain control with less of the drowsy effect.  I would definitely ask if that is a possibility for you!!  You can cough, function, and heal much faster if there is less pain!!!

Returning to normal:  I had surgery on April 30.  I was up walking in room (to bathroom only because of all the tubes) the next day.  Had all lines and tubes removed on May 3 and went home that day.  I made it to my daughter's highschool graduation on May 15 (had arranged for a wheelchair if I needed it…but made it on my own!!)  Walked 4 miles…SLOWLY….on  June 4…..after much shorter and even slower walks to begin with!  My PFT's (pulmonary function test) were back to my pre-surgery baseline by June 28, though I did still have a cough for a while (however, don't forget my persistent asthma!!).  On July 3, I left for a 6 plus hour car drive to a beach vacation with family…swam, walked, the whole ta dah.  I gradually made it back to my running and was back at work, 3, 12 hour shifts a week, in August.

So….if you choose this route, I definitely think you can do it.  No your lung or chest doesn't feel empty. It does hurt and then feel sore at first.  Your respiratory function returns to normal quicker than you would think.  Your remaining lobes fill the space.  In fact, some (admittedly dumb!!!) radiologists, have even read my lung scans as "normal" since surgery….not noticing that I'm missing a few bits and bobs!!!

If you want the play by play, with my weird sense of humor, and the more difficults posts for me to read by my daughter while I was in hospital…they are at the start of my blog…back when it all began in April of 2010.

Hang in there.  You are tough and amazing and can make it through whichever approach you choose!!  AND…..see those grandsons!!!!  love, c

Bubbles
          Participant

Hey Sweetie,

You are in a tough spot indeed.  It is true that pseudo-progression usually does occur earlier.  It sounds like a smaller surgery is possible….just a MAYBE than the lobectomy will be required???  Here's my story:

I had a complete lobectomy of the right upper lobe of my lung in 2010.  Here's the longer version:  My melanoma was in my bronchus….right main stem…pretty high up…with some question as to whether once they cut out that section and the upper lobe if they would have enough remaining bronchus to hook back up to my lower lobes.  So….I was looking at the possibility of the removal of the entire right lung…NOT something I wanted to happen.  However, with concurrent brain mets and no FDA available melanoma treatments at the time, I opted to try it.  Obviously, I came out with only the upper lobe removed via an incision in my right axilla with one other small incision for the scope.  I had been warned if things got complicated, I would have an incision running under and the length of my scapula on my right upper back.  (Funny story:  On the final visit with my thoracic surgeon, I asked how it had gone and how he had managed to leave me the rest of my lung and only use the smaller incision?  He replied, "It was a really good thing you are skinny!!!")

Healing:  I was warned that I may be in the intensive care unit and even on the vent for three days or so post op.  However, I think that was more the scenario they expected if I had had the removal of my entire right lung and the fact that I have asthma.  So….I did well.  Only had the smaller version of the surgery and was taken off the vent in recovery and sent to a room on the floor with a central IV line in my neck, the incision under my arm, a chest tube, urinary catheter and frankly…the most annoying part…inflating bags, much like a BP cuff, to both my calves in order to keep blood from stagnating.  I had one other tube….probably the BEST one…a "walking" epidural, in my back.  My pain meds were administered that way (kind of like the epidural mom's or often given with child birth, but positiioned so that you still feel everything and can walk….just not the thoracic pain….or at least a lot of it!!!) and you get good pain control with less of the drowsy effect.  I would definitely ask if that is a possibility for you!!  You can cough, function, and heal much faster if there is less pain!!!

Returning to normal:  I had surgery on April 30.  I was up walking in room (to bathroom only because of all the tubes) the next day.  Had all lines and tubes removed on May 3 and went home that day.  I made it to my daughter's highschool graduation on May 15 (had arranged for a wheelchair if I needed it…but made it on my own!!)  Walked 4 miles…SLOWLY….on  June 4…..after much shorter and even slower walks to begin with!  My PFT's (pulmonary function test) were back to my pre-surgery baseline by June 28, though I did still have a cough for a while (however, don't forget my persistent asthma!!).  On July 3, I left for a 6 plus hour car drive to a beach vacation with family…swam, walked, the whole ta dah.  I gradually made it back to my running and was back at work, 3, 12 hour shifts a week, in August.

So….if you choose this route, I definitely think you can do it.  No your lung or chest doesn't feel empty. It does hurt and then feel sore at first.  Your respiratory function returns to normal quicker than you would think.  Your remaining lobes fill the space.  In fact, some (admittedly dumb!!!) radiologists, have even read my lung scans as "normal" since surgery….not noticing that I'm missing a few bits and bobs!!!

If you want the play by play, with my weird sense of humor, and the more difficults posts for me to read by my daughter while I was in hospital…they are at the start of my blog…back when it all began in April of 2010.

Hang in there.  You are tough and amazing and can make it through whichever approach you choose!!  AND…..see those grandsons!!!!  love, c

Jubes
              Participant

Thanks Celeste. I think the surgeon wants to remove the whole area where the large tumour was to get margins and get rid of any scar tissue that may still have melanoma hidden in it. Maybe it's cleaner to take the whole lobe? He said he could not just scoop out the hot spot. He has given me three scenarios

1. Go in robotically and take out lower lobe 90-95% chance

2  Have to open me up if tether is too hard to  get through that way

3. Worst case he opens me up and things look worse than on scan. He will just close me up again. Unlikely. 

Hearing from you guys has given me some heart to go through with this. I've never had an op before. I like the epidural idea. I'll ask but I guess they have their procedures for pain relief that they use

also. My cortisol levels are still down from pembro and prednisone. They are at 150 and should be 450. The endocrinologist want me to take some sort of steroids for the op but the surgeon said he'd rather not due to risk of infection. He says it's a controlled environment and if the blood pressure goes down they can give me something then. What do you think? Without the op the endo is happy for me to wait and see if the function gradually returns as I don't have any symptoms except perhaps tiredness. 

Jubes
                Participant

Thanks Celeste. I think the surgeon wants to remove the whole area where the large tumour was to get margins and get rid of any scar tissue that may still have melanoma hidden in it. Maybe it's cleaner to take the whole lobe? He said he could not just scoop out the hot spot. He has given me three scenarios

3. Worst case he opens me up and things look worse than on scan. He will just close me up again. Unlikely. 

Hearing from you guys has given me some heart to go through with this. I've never had an op before. I like the epidural idea. I'll ask but I guess they have their procedures for pain relief that they use

also. My cortisol levels are still down from pembro and prednisone. They are at 150 and should be 450. The endocrinologist want me to take some sort of steroids for the op but the surgeon said he'd rather not due to risk of infection. He says it's a controlled environment and if the blood pressure goes down they can give me something then. What do you think? Without the op the endo is happy for me to wait and see if the function gradually returns as I don't have any symptoms except perhaps tiredness. 

Bubbles
                  Participant

Ok. Sounds like the odds are…they need to remove your whole lower lobe (given what they described…that is probably smart)…but odds are heavy toward being able to go in robotically (which is even better than the type of surgery I had)….so that all sounds pretty good. I guess you'll just have to decide if you can handle the off chance of the bigger surgery.

I agree with the endo as far as watching and waiting re steroids if you weren't going to have the surgery. As far as steroids WITH the surgery…I had just had my brain tumor zapped with SRS three days prior to my surgery so I was on major steroids to prevent inflammation there…and I did fine….so…..I think you could do fine with the surgery even if you were on steroids. I would really push my surgeon to speak with my endo so that they could come up with a mutually agreed upon plan….because if the surgeon is fully informed of your situation…he could certainly address it should the need arise and be familiar enough with your endo to call them as needed.

Yes, I'm sure your folks have a good pain management plan. Just wanted to mention the epidural.

I bet not having had any surgery before this…all this sounds pretty major!  I've always preferred to cut out whatever was needed…bim, bam, boom, done! I know it's not necessarily like that, but that's what it seemed like to me. My husband was about ready to choke me, by contrast, due to my resistance to trial particepation…though for my part that was back in the day…when we didn't know what (would I grow three heads?) if anything, anti-PD1 would do….travel to Tampa every other week, all the money, all the time….surgery seemed like a much more straightforward and efficient option. One more example of how personal our care and opinions of that care, really is.

So….I think you can do this with good results and STILL make your trip! But, it is a hard decision I know. You could watch and wait a bit longer….but I doubt I personally, would choose that option. I really would get endo and surg to talk with each other and make a plan should you go forward with the surgery. 

Keep asking good questions. Keep getting answers from your docs. Keep us posted. Hang tough! Love, c

Bubbles
                    Participant

Ok. Sounds like the odds are…they need to remove your whole lower lobe (given what they described…that is probably smart)…but odds are heavy toward being able to go in robotically (which is even better than the type of surgery I had)….so that all sounds pretty good. I guess you'll just have to decide if you can handle the off chance of the bigger surgery.

I agree with the endo as far as watching and waiting re steroids if you weren't going to have the surgery. As far as steroids WITH the surgery…I had just had my brain tumor zapped with SRS three days prior to my surgery so I was on major steroids to prevent inflammation there…and I did fine….so…..I think you could do fine with the surgery even if you were on steroids. I would really push my surgeon to speak with my endo so that they could come up with a mutually agreed upon plan….because if the surgeon is fully informed of your situation…he could certainly address it should the need arise and be familiar enough with your endo to call them as needed.

Yes, I'm sure your folks have a good pain management plan. Just wanted to mention the epidural.

I bet not having had any surgery before this…all this sounds pretty major!  I've always preferred to cut out whatever was needed…bim, bam, boom, done! I know it's not necessarily like that, but that's what it seemed like to me. My husband was about ready to choke me, by contrast, due to my resistance to trial particepation…though for my part that was back in the day…when we didn't know what (would I grow three heads?) if anything, anti-PD1 would do….travel to Tampa every other week, all the money, all the time….surgery seemed like a much more straightforward and efficient option. One more example of how personal our care and opinions of that care, really is.

So….I think you can do this with good results and STILL make your trip! But, it is a hard decision I know. You could watch and wait a bit longer….but I doubt I personally, would choose that option. I really would get endo and surg to talk with each other and make a plan should you go forward with the surgery. 

Keep asking good questions. Keep getting answers from your docs. Keep us posted. Hang tough! Love, c

Jubes
                      Participant

Thanks Celeste. It was also encouraging that I overheard the surgeon talking to my oncologist and said it's the most amazing immunotherapy response he has ever seen! He does lots of melanoma surgery so that is also a positive. Got a text from my onc this morning that the multidisciplinary group were going through my scans this morning as well. Xx

Jubes
                        Participant

Thanks Celeste. It was also encouraging that I overheard the surgeon talking to my oncologist and said it's the most amazing immunotherapy response he has ever seen! He does lots of melanoma surgery so that is also a positive. Got a text from my onc this morning that the multidisciplinary group were going through my scans this morning as well. Xx

Bubbles
                          Participant

Yay! All good!

C

Bubbles
                            Participant

Yay! All good!

C

Bubbles
                              Participant

Yay! All good!

C

Jubes
                                Participant

Bubbles
                                  Participant

Jubes
                                    Participant

Bubbles
                                    Participant

Hey Sweetie,

cancersnewnormal
                                      Participant

I had the lower right lobe removed in August 2014. My lesion had been shrunk by MEK (not the normal BRAF pos.. but that's a whole different side story), from 9 cm down to 5 cm. This allowed for the surgeon to remove only the right lower and leave the middle in place, while still making sufficient margins. My tumor initially occupied 80% of the lower right lobe, so I did not note much difference in air intake once it was gone. It is somewhat scary when the surgeon explains the "if's and but's" and makes you sign a sheet consenting to a more invasive procedure, should that need to happen. The first thing I asked when I woke up was "How big is the hole? Was he able to do it robotic?" Ahhhh the crazy things we ask in ICU : )  I was moved to a regular room by the next day and felt fine, with only some minor discomfort from the chest drain tube. Within a few days, I was asking for only Tylenol, so I could avoid the constipation caused by heavier meds. At the hospital here, they make you "go" before they'll let you go! HA! Unfortunately, I was in the very low percentage of folks who develop a persistant air leak. My oncologist theorized that the slower healing may have been due to the MEK, as I'd only been off of it for two weeks to be clear for the surgery. I ended up climbing the walls of the hospital for 16 days. I wandered the halls with my portable chest drain, and finally convinced the doc to allow me to go home with it. We live 180 miles away, so there was some discomfort in the idea that if something were to go wrong with the portable unit… I could have a lung collapse issue. Everything felt completely normal on me, with the exception of any need to sneeze or cough with that tube in! I was 6-7 weeks with a chest drain. Typically, those can be removed prior to you leaving the hospital within a few days to a week. I ran errands and rode my bicycle trainer with the tube still in place. Aside from having to tote that nasty little plastic container of plural fluid around, life was pretty normal. The scars left behind are quite small, and as Celeste mentioned, there is no feeling of "emptyness" in your chest. Your guts will do a dandy job of filling in the extra space. My heart shifted slightly to the center with that lobe out of the way, and there is minor scarring that shows up along the outer wall on CT's. Even with the extended chest tube ordeal, I don't regret having it done. 

1. If you're comfortable with the decision… yes… it's the right one. : )

2. You'll bounce back faster than you'd expect to, given the removal of a lung lobe. We have 3 on the right side… sooooo… now your right will match your left. ; ) ha ha ha! 

Happy thoughts coming your way for that 90% odds of less invasive! There will be many folks thinking about you on Tuesday.

Randy437
                                          Participant

I had a lobe resection done eight years ago.  Zero post surgical problems.  No travel restrictions, though I didn't actually fly for serveral months.  I have no feeling of hollowness in the chest.  All in all, not a difficult experience, especially since I've not had a recurrance in that lung.  I had a smaller resection in the other lung about two months after the first surgery.  No recurrance there, either.

Randy437
                                            Participant

I had a lobe resection done eight years ago.  Zero post surgical problems.  No travel restrictions, though I didn't actually fly for serveral months.  I have no feeling of hollowness in the chest.  All in all, not a difficult experience, especially since I've not had a recurrance in that lung.  I had a smaller resection in the other lung about two months after the first surgery.  No recurrance there, either.

Randy437
                                              Participant

Jubes
                                                Participant

This is very encouraging. Thanks so much!

Jubes
                                                  Participant

Jubes
                                                    Participant

Jubes
                                                      Participant

Hi niki

thanks so much for that. Mine is practically identical to yours and it will be good for me to keep in mind that I may have to cancel my travel plans if it is not completely straightforward. The doctor said his five resections this week all five had the drains out the next day and only stayed in hospital for two nights after the operation. He said the air leak complication does occur sometimes. 

For some reason mine is more technically difficult and he has allowed extra time. 

As I had to cancel my 60 th birthday party for this I really hope I am rewarded with a straightforward op and get to go to New York for Xmas!! Xxx

Jubes
                                                        Participant

Hi niki

thanks so much for that. Mine is practically identical to yours and it will be good for me to keep in mind that I may have to cancel my travel plans if it is not completely straightforward. The doctor said his five resections this week all five had the drains out the next day and only stayed in hospital for two nights after the operation. He said the air leak complication does occur sometimes. 

For some reason mine is more technically difficult and he has allowed extra time. 

As I had to cancel my 60 th birthday party for this I really hope I am rewarded with a straightforward op and get to go to New York for Xmas!! Xxx

Jubes
                                                          Participant

Hi niki

cancersnewnormal
                                                          Participant

I had the lower right lobe removed in August 2014. My lesion had been shrunk by MEK (not the normal BRAF pos.. but that's a whole different side story), from 9 cm down to 5 cm. This allowed for the surgeon to remove only the right lower and leave the middle in place, while still making sufficient margins. My tumor initially occupied 80% of the lower right lobe, so I did not note much difference in air intake once it was gone. It is somewhat scary when the surgeon explains the "if's and but's" and makes you sign a sheet consenting to a more invasive procedure, should that need to happen. The first thing I asked when I woke up was "How big is the hole? Was he able to do it robotic?" Ahhhh the crazy things we ask in ICU : )  I was moved to a regular room by the next day and felt fine, with only some minor discomfort from the chest drain tube. Within a few days, I was asking for only Tylenol, so I could avoid the constipation caused by heavier meds. At the hospital here, they make you "go" before they'll let you go! HA! Unfortunately, I was in the very low percentage of folks who develop a persistant air leak. My oncologist theorized that the slower healing may have been due to the MEK, as I'd only been off of it for two weeks to be clear for the surgery. I ended up climbing the walls of the hospital for 16 days. I wandered the halls with my portable chest drain, and finally convinced the doc to allow me to go home with it. We live 180 miles away, so there was some discomfort in the idea that if something were to go wrong with the portable unit… I could have a lung collapse issue. Everything felt completely normal on me, with the exception of any need to sneeze or cough with that tube in! I was 6-7 weeks with a chest drain. Typically, those can be removed prior to you leaving the hospital within a few days to a week. I ran errands and rode my bicycle trainer with the tube still in place. Aside from having to tote that nasty little plastic container of plural fluid around, life was pretty normal. The scars left behind are quite small, and as Celeste mentioned, there is no feeling of "emptyness" in your chest. Your guts will do a dandy job of filling in the extra space. My heart shifted slightly to the center with that lobe out of the way, and there is minor scarring that shows up along the outer wall on CT's. Even with the extended chest tube ordeal, I don't regret having it done. 

2. You'll bounce back faster than you'd expect to, given the removal of a lung lobe. We have 3 on the right side… sooooo… now your right will match your left. ; ) ha ha ha! 

Happy thoughts coming your way for that 90% odds of less invasive! There will be many folks thinking about you on Tuesday.

cancersnewnormal
                                                            Participant

RaquelP
                                                              Participant

I did not personally have the surgery, but my father had it via davinci robot. It was a smooth and rapid recovery. Just think…you will be NED after it!

RaquelP
                                                                Participant

I did not personally have the surgery, but my father had it via davinci robot. It was a smooth and rapid recovery. Just think…you will be NED after it!

RaquelP
                                                                  Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics