The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

An update to my search answers on March 20, 2012

Forums General Melanoma Community An update to my search answers on March 20, 2012

Participant

Julie, and eveybody else, thanks for the comments on my post of March 20, 2012. It is important to me to have reasonable replies to my questions from people who have been there done that. I have been to see four doctors: Dr William Sharfman at Hopkins, Dr Anna Pavlick at NYUCC in NYC, Dr Lynn Schuchter at Abramson Cancer Cenetr at UPenn in Philadelphia and Dr Paul Chapman at MSKCC.  

Here are my thoughts; I am being honest, I am not here for brownie points, I am here for me and you: Sharfman is probably an excellent Oncologist but, for me, there was no fire in his belly. I got the impression he had been doing this gig for a long time and was going to play the same old tunes. Pavlick is a firecracker. She has a goal: she wants me to survive and play with my grandchildren. She said that if the trial she has going doesn't work in two months she would pull me out and do something else. She is interested in me, she is interested in my winning the fight with her help. Schuchter is a slightly more reserved Pavlick, but a strong person and great doctor. Now I had a real problem, I was a believer in both Dr Pavlick and Dr Schuchter: they were here for me, they wanted me to beat this thing. Then we met with Dr Chapman at MSKCC. MSKCC did not have a trial for which I would qualify and Dr Chapman was dream come true. He discussed my history in detai, he listened to my search for a trial and he examined me thouroughly. He said that I wouldn't go wrong with Dr Pavlick's BRAF/MEK trial. The next day I signed the consent form with NYUCC. The trial is with a combo of Zelboraf and an unapproved drug GDC0973. 

So… that's where we stand; in the past week I have had lots of tests and on Tuesday, May 1, I start the meds. The system/marketplace, whatever you want to call it is truly amazing. Within 45 days I have been able to meet with 4 of the top Melanoma Doctors in the US, and become a member of a very limited number of people privileged to join a trial with real possibilites of success. My family participated in the decision process and with lots of my friends will help me win this fight. Best wishes to you all, Wilfred

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Also after meeting Dr Pavlick had a good feeling about her approach & knowledge.Will see her in late May to see if she has any different approach to my treatment.Praying for the best for you….Al

aldakota22
          Participant

Also after meeting Dr Pavlick had a good feeling about her approach & knowledge.Will see her in late May to see if she has any different approach to my treatment.Praying for the best for you….Al

aldakota22
            Participant

Karin L
              Participant

Excellent.  Sounds like a great plan.

Karin

Karin L
                Participant

Karin

Karin L
                  Participant

Karin

gabsound
                    Participant
                      Wilfred,

It sounds like you have really done your homework! It is so important to have faith in your dr. After all, we are literally putting our life in their hands. I hope this treatment works completely and quickly for you.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                      Participant
                        Wilfred,

It sounds like you have really done your homework! It is so important to have faith in your dr. After all, we are literally putting our life in their hands. I hope this treatment works completely and quickly for you.

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                        Participant
                          Wilfred,

Julie in Las Vegas

Eileen L
                          Participant
                            Wonderful!!! I am trying to get into the same trial at UCSF. Hope this works for you.

Eileen L

Eileen L
                            Participant
                              Wonderful!!! I am trying to get into the same trial at UCSF. Hope this works for you.

Eileen L

Eileen L
                              Participant

Eileen L

Linny
                                Participant

Wow, you really have seen some of the best doctors in the country for melanoma! NYUCC is not far from where you live and if push comes to shove, you can always take a bus or train into the city. I'm happy you found someone you can work with in fighting this.

Good luck to you on this trial. Please keep us all posted on how things go with it.

Linny
                                  Participant

Wow, you really have seen some of the best doctors in the country for melanoma! NYUCC is not far from where you live and if push comes to shove, you can always take a bus or train into the city. I'm happy you found someone you can work with in fighting this.

Good luck to you on this trial. Please keep us all posted on how things go with it.

Linny
                                    Participant

s Mom
                                      Participant

Dr. Pavlick sounds like the kind of doctor we all hope for on this forum.  Is GDC0973 another form of MEK?   I am curious about BRAF/MEK trials and would like to know more.  Hope you get good results.

Take care,

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                        Participant

Dr. Pavlick sounds like the kind of doctor we all hope for on this forum.  Is GDC0973 another form of MEK?   I am curious about BRAF/MEK trials and would like to know more.  Hope you get good results.

Take care,

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

s Mom
                                          Participant

Take care,

Bridgette (Jeff's Mom)

triciad
                                            Participant

I had the same experience with Dr. Pavlic.  She is unbelievable.  I think you summed up the type of doctors out there…perfectly!  Best of luck with the trial and keep us posted!

Tricia

triciad
                                              Participant

I had the same experience with Dr. Pavlic.  She is unbelievable.  I think you summed up the type of doctors out there…perfectly!  Best of luck with the trial and keep us posted!

Tricia

NYKaren
                                                  Participant

Hi Wilfred,

I've not met Dr. Chapman, but I hear he's great.  It sounds like you're in wonderful hands with Dr. Pavlick.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you and keep us posted.

karen

NYKaren
                                                    Participant

Hi Wilfred,

I've not met Dr. Chapman, but I hear he's great.  It sounds like you're in wonderful hands with Dr. Pavlick.  Keeping my fingers crossed for you and keep us posted.

karen

NYKaren
                                                      Participant

Hi Wilfred,

karen

triciad
                                                      Participant

Tricia

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics