The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Absolutely Surreal

Forums Caregiver Community Absolutely Surreal

Participant

I just got another set of scan results today. In a period of 37 days it really picked up the pace. So much so that the radiologist's first comment was "dramatic interval progression in metastatic disease burden". I could list all the organs, lymph nodes, etc., but you get the idea.

The MRI revealed my first brain met, a small 4 x 3 mm lesion in the right caudate head.

The TIL protocol allows for me to continue since the met is under 1cm. The oncologist thinks the risk of zapping it and waiting for a few weeks to see if it bleeds is greater than the risk of prolonging the TIL. However, even though it is now widespread, and even though I have a golf ball size tumor in my right lower lobe, my heart is still strong and my lung function remains at 100%. So I am healthy enough for the TIL. Porobably not the case in a couple of weeks.

Unchecked I have about a month or two left. So if the TIL doesn't work I don't think there will be time for another trial. I have new respect for the term "do or die"!

On the good side, my youngest daughter has volunteered to be a 24×7 caregiver which is required during the week of chemo. And my sisters are flying in from afar (Toronto and San Fran) to help after I am discharged from the ICU. And a lot of friends are volunteering to help with whatever I need, including giving my daughter a break from the caregiving. All that love really helps.

Even though I have my will in order, treatment plan in order, caregivers, etc. it feels like I'm an actor in a movie. I am hoping I come out of this alive, but it is all quite bizarre.

I really hope Josh's new combo treatment works. I pray for everyone suffering (physically or mentally) on this board every day.

– Paul

Viewing 47 reply threads
    • Replies
        Aloha14
        Participant

Hi Paul,

While I don't understand all the technical information you wrote about, I'm sorry to hear about your latest report and progression of your cancer. It sounds like you have good family support which seems important. Wishing you good luck. 

_Paul_
            Participant

Thanks Aloha! I am a very lucky man to have so much support.

– Paul

_Paul_
              Participant

– Paul

_Paul_
                Participant

– Paul

Aloha14
                Participant

Hi Paul,

While I don't understand all the technical information you wrote about, I'm sorry to hear about your latest report and progression of your cancer. It sounds like you have good family support which seems important. Wishing you good luck. 

Aloha14
                  Participant

Hi Paul,

jennunicorn
                    Participant

Oh man Paul, what a crap day all around! Sounds like you still have a good attitude about all of it and family support/help is awesome. It's definitely a surreal experience and I will keep positive thoughts that you WILL get through this!

_Paul_
                        Participant

Thanks Jenny. I hope that the combo kicks your cancer to the curb as well!

_Paul_
                          Participant

_Paul_
                            Participant

jennunicorn
                            Participant

Oh man Paul, what a crap day all around! Sounds like you still have a good attitude about all of it and family support/help is awesome. It's definitely a surreal experience and I will keep positive thoughts that you WILL get through this!

jennunicorn
                              Participant

ed williams
                                Participant

Hi Paul, an actor in a movie is a great quote. Yesterday, during my treatment day I said almost the same thing to one of the nurses when she asked me how I was doing. I told her great, I feel like I am Bill Murray in the movie ground hog day. Next month will be 3 years on the trial checkmate 067, and my wish is that this treatment will bring some x-mas magic for you!!!!Best wishes!!!! Ed

_Paul_
                                    Participant

Thanks Bill, er Ed! And thanks for all your informative posts too. I have learned a lot from some of the video links you have posted.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                      Participant

Thanks Bill, er Ed! And thanks for all your informative posts too. I have learned a lot from some of the video links you have posted.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                        Participant

– Paul

ed williams
                                        Participant

Hi Paul, an actor in a movie is a great quote. Yesterday, during my treatment day I said almost the same thing to one of the nurses when she asked me how I was doing. I told her great, I feel like I am Bill Murray in the movie ground hog day. Next month will be 3 years on the trial checkmate 067, and my wish is that this treatment will bring some x-mas magic for you!!!!Best wishes!!!! Ed

ed williams
                                          Participant

jbronicki
                                            Participant
                                              Wow, I’m so sorry Paul and just want to dropkick something. I can’t remember if you are still at MDA, but just like Josh, if you need ANYTHING at all, please ask. We will gladly give your daughter/sisters a break. Or go groceryshopping, etc. Or if you all just need more support. Massive prayers coming your way.
                                                _Paul_
                                                Participant

Thanks Jackie. I continue to be blown away with your generosity. I am back in Seattle, and I am going to have the TIL therapy here (Seattle is my home area).

Happy holidays!

_Paul_
                                                  Participant

Thanks Jackie. I continue to be blown away with your generosity. I am back in Seattle, and I am going to have the TIL therapy here (Seattle is my home area).

Happy holidays!

_Paul_
                                                    Participant

Happy holidays!

jbronicki
                                                    Participant
                                                      Wow, I’m so sorry Paul and just want to dropkick something. I can’t remember if you are still at MDA, but just like Josh, if you need ANYTHING at all, please ask. We will gladly give your daughter/sisters a break. Or go groceryshopping, etc. Or if you all just need more support. Massive prayers coming your way.
                                                      jbronicki
                                                      Participant
                                                        Bubbles
                                                        Participant

Oh, Paul!!!  I am so sorry.  I've have had the thought, "This can't be my life!  This can NOT be my life!!!" so many times.  I really need to find that d@mn magic wand!!  In lieu of that, like everyone else….we are all here for you!!!  Your family sounds amazing.  I am so thriled you have that support.  I am holding you and yours in my heart and just waiting to hear that you've made it through TIL and your melanoma is a thing of the unbelievable past!!!  Love, c

_Paul_
                                                            Participant

Thanks Celeste, You have a heart of absolute gold, but it is very soft gold, because you are so full of compassion. I found out I am allowed to have my phone and even a tablet in the ICU, so be prepared for some drug induced posts. 😀

– Paul

Bubbles
                                                              Participant

Aswesome, Paulster!!!  Absolutely looking forward to some under the influence postings!!!!  love, c

Bubbles
                                                                Participant

Aswesome, Paulster!!!  Absolutely looking forward to some under the influence postings!!!!  love, c

Bubbles
                                                                  Participant

_Paul_
                                                                    Participant

Thanks Celeste, You have a heart of absolute gold, but it is very soft gold, because you are so full of compassion. I found out I am allowed to have my phone and even a tablet in the ICU, so be prepared for some drug induced posts. 😀

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                      Participant

– Paul

Bubbles
                                                                      Participant

Oh, Paul!!!  I am so sorry.  I've have had the thought, "This can't be my life!  This can NOT be my life!!!" so many times.  I really need to find that d@mn magic wand!!  In lieu of that, like everyone else….we are all here for you!!!  Your family sounds amazing.  I am so thriled you have that support.  I am holding you and yours in my heart and just waiting to hear that you've made it through TIL and your melanoma is a thing of the unbelievable past!!!  Love, c

Bubbles
                                                                        Participant

tschmith
                                                                          Participant

My prayers for you, Paul.  Your courage is inspiring.  An actor in a movie is such a good description. I feel like that too…

So, praying for improvement in your tumor burden asap!!!! And praying all who are suffering.

Terrie

_Paul_
                                                                              Participant

Thanks Terrie. It's hard to imagine that anyone going through what we have wouldn't feel that way too. It was never my expectation to be in this particular place right now. But the story is still unfolding, and the cool thing about life is you never know what's going to happen next…

_Paul_
                                                                                Participant

Thanks Terrie. It's hard to imagine that anyone going through what we have wouldn't feel that way too. It was never my expectation to be in this particular place right now. But the story is still unfolding, and the cool thing about life is you never know what's going to happen next…

_Paul_
                                                                                  Participant

tschmith
                                                                                  Participant

My prayers for you, Paul.  Your courage is inspiring.  An actor in a movie is such a good description. I feel like that too…

So, praying for improvement in your tumor burden asap!!!! And praying all who are suffering.

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                                    Participant

Terrie

Patrisa
                                                                                      Participant

Dear Paul,

i'm sooo sorry your results are not better, but thank god you have options…

I will be praying and hoping your treatment will be just what the doctor ordered…

Take care,

Patrisa

_Paul_
                                                                                          Participant

Thanks Patrisa,

I truly appreciate the prayers. I think this disease is mentally harder on the caregivers than it is the patients. It's awesome what Keytruda is doing for your dad.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                            Participant

Thanks Patrisa,

I truly appreciate the prayers. I think this disease is mentally harder on the caregivers than it is the patients. It's awesome what Keytruda is doing for your dad.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                              Participant

Thanks Patrisa,

– Paul

Patrisa
                                                                                              Participant

Dear Paul,

I will be praying and hoping your treatment will be just what the doctor ordered…

Take care,

Patrisa

Patrisa
                                                                                                Participant

Dear Paul,

Take care,

Patrisa

Michelle820
                                                                                                  Participant

Dear Paul,

Sending you many thoughts and prayers your way. Stay strong and keep up with your positive attitude. Never give up! Wish I could help you and make this all go away. You are strong!!!!

_Paul_
                                                                                                      Participant

Thanks Michelle, and I am glad you have that WLE behind you.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                        Participant

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                          Participant

– Paul

Michelle820
                                                                                                          Participant

Dear Paul,

Sending you many thoughts and prayers your way. Stay strong and keep up with your positive attitude. Never give up! Wish I could help you and make this all go away. You are strong!!!!

Michelle820
                                                                                                            Participant

Dear Paul,

casagrayson
                                                                                                              Participant

Oh, Paul! NOT the news you wanted to hear.  The good news is that you still have a plan of attack, and you are a Cushing's warrior!  Don't give up hope!

_Paul_
                                                                                                                  Participant

Thanks Susan. As Terry Gilliam said in the Holy Grail, "I'm not dead yet!". And if one is not dead, there is always hope. 😀

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                    Participant

Thanks Susan. As Terry Gilliam said in the Holy Grail, "I'm not dead yet!". And if one is not dead, there is always hope. 😀

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                      Participant

– Paul

casagrayson
                                                                                                                      Participant

Oh, Paul! NOT the news you wanted to hear.  The good news is that you still have a plan of attack, and you are a Cushing's warrior!  Don't give up hope!

casagrayson
                                                                                                                        Participant

JoshF
                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Paul. I was able to get in this morning and sat with my family a bit and crashed afterwards. I'm at a loss here. I'm glad you can still do TIL. I wish MDA would let me go for it while I'm healthy enough. Giving you a month is such a short time frame. These oncologists know less than we think. Just 3 weeks ago I was supposed to give it time. Now they're real concerned and pushing for this treatment. You and I have just had this crap take off on us. I don't understand and they certainly don't either. I let them cut out 2 tumors for research. I know my chances aren't greatest but hopefully data they get can help someone. I'm so sick of this crap. Know that I'm praying for you, TIL is tough but if it works!!!! You'll be on my mind my friend.

Josh

_Paul_
                                                                                                                              Participant

That is the thing. How it just accelerated like this for both of us. Maybe one day they will understand this stuff better, but for now, in spite of all the advances that have been made in the last couple of years, we are still in the dark ages. All the docs can do is make educated guesses and its still in the realm of magic juju.

I let them take some chunks out of Zaphod as well (the sub-q on my right shoulder). It bled like a stuck pig! It is a trip looking at the jet black chunks of evil as they put them in the specimen tube.

We both just have to hang in there. And thank you for thinking of me as your friend. I definitely feel that way about you.

– Paul

JoshF
                                                                                                                                Participant

I wish they did get it, we might have better chances. I do like the TIL option. I really wish I was doing it but I'd have to wait to make sure brain mets are stable and by that time it could take liver over and that's it. Everything is reactionary now and that scares me. When things were proactive there was a sense of comfort. You know the interesting thing about majority of my tumor biopsies are that there usually isnt pigmentation. Typically there is yellow in them (necrosis). The golf ball they took out of my shoulder was white, then had some dark rings with yellow in center. Anyway let's push forward my friend and pray we have a Merry Xmas in 2017. All the best to you as you prepare to embark on this treatment.

Josh

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                  Participant

I didn't know that, about the necrotic bits being yellow. You just inspired me for a new wish for all us: "may all your tumors be nothing but yellow".

I'm all for the Merry 2017 Christmas. Sounds like a plan!

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                    Participant

I didn't know that, about the necrotic bits being yellow. You just inspired me for a new wish for all us: "may all your tumors be nothing but yellow".

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                      Participant

– Paul

JoshF
                                                                                                                                        Participant

I wish they did get it, we might have better chances. I do like the TIL option. I really wish I was doing it but I'd have to wait to make sure brain mets are stable and by that time it could take liver over and that's it. Everything is reactionary now and that scares me. When things were proactive there was a sense of comfort. You know the interesting thing about majority of my tumor biopsies are that there usually isnt pigmentation. Typically there is yellow in them (necrosis). The golf ball they took out of my shoulder was white, then had some dark rings with yellow in center. Anyway let's push forward my friend and pray we have a Merry Xmas in 2017. All the best to you as you prepare to embark on this treatment.

Josh

JoshF
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Josh

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                            Participant

That is the thing. How it just accelerated like this for both of us. Maybe one day they will understand this stuff better, but for now, in spite of all the advances that have been made in the last couple of years, we are still in the dark ages. All the docs can do is make educated guesses and its still in the realm of magic juju.

I let them take some chunks out of Zaphod as well (the sub-q on my right shoulder). It bled like a stuck pig! It is a trip looking at the jet black chunks of evil as they put them in the specimen tube.

We both just have to hang in there. And thank you for thinking of me as your friend. I definitely feel that way about you.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                              Participant

– Paul

JoshF
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Hi Paul. I was able to get in this morning and sat with my family a bit and crashed afterwards. I'm at a loss here. I'm glad you can still do TIL. I wish MDA would let me go for it while I'm healthy enough. Giving you a month is such a short time frame. These oncologists know less than we think. Just 3 weeks ago I was supposed to give it time. Now they're real concerned and pushing for this treatment. You and I have just had this crap take off on us. I don't understand and they certainly don't either. I let them cut out 2 tumors for research. I know my chances aren't greatest but hopefully data they get can help someone. I'm so sick of this crap. Know that I'm praying for you, TIL is tough but if it works!!!! You'll be on my mind my friend.

Josh

JoshF
                                                                                                                                                Participant

Josh

Mat
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Paul/Josh, I tried to search for words of inspiration or wisdom.  I don't have any.  You both have children and I know of no better inspiration than that to move forward.  Paul, I hope you get good results with TIL.  Josh, keep working on your plan, pushing your medical teams.  Eventually a good plan will develop.

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Thanks Mat. You are so right. I have a lot to live for.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

– Paul

Mat
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Paul/Josh, I tried to search for words of inspiration or wisdom.  I don't have any.  You both have children and I know of no better inspiration than that to move forward.  Paul, I hope you get good results with TIL.  Josh, keep working on your plan, pushing your medical teams.  Eventually a good plan will develop.

Mat
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                                                                              Participant
                                                                                                                                                                Paul, just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers. Praying that this treatment will do the trick so that you can go on with your life and enjoy your family without these worries.

Annie

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Thank you Annie. Prayers are a big deal for me.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

– Paul

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant
                                                                                                                                                                        Paul, just wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers. Praying that this treatment will do the trick so that you can go on with your life and enjoy your family without these worries.

Annie

keepthefaith11
                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Annie

jenny22
                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Paul….

I am soooo sad to read your latest news…..glad to see you have people to help, and provdie care…hoping TIL helps quickly.

I am just so damn sad for you, and josh, and anyone going through this…..

I am always waiting for the next shoe to drop…..

Sending you good thoughts and lots of hope for improvemnt.

Best,

jenny

jenny22
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Paul….

I am soooo sad to read your latest news…..glad to see you have people to help, and provdie care…hoping TIL helps quickly.

Best,

jenny

jenny22
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Paul….

Best,

jenny

snow white
                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Dear Paul.  Just want you to know that I am rooting for you, thinking of you and praying for you.  I have no idea what TIL is, but whatever it is, I hope it works for you.  It is so darn frustrating to see everything that this beast is doing to people, good people, kind people, Dads, Moms, kids, sisters, brothers etc.   I HATE it!!! 

Please know that you have a big group of people cheering you on!  You can do this!  I will look with anticipation for your updates, nothing like a ICU feeling no pain kind of update 🙂

Stay Strong!

Jen

snow white
                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Dear Paul.  Just want you to know that I am rooting for you, thinking of you and praying for you.  I have no idea what TIL is, but whatever it is, I hope it works for you.  It is so darn frustrating to see everything that this beast is doing to people, good people, kind people, Dads, Moms, kids, sisters, brothers etc.   I HATE it!!! 

Please know that you have a big group of people cheering you on!  You can do this!  I will look with anticipation for your updates, nothing like a ICU feeling no pain kind of update 🙂

Stay Strong!

Jen

snow white
                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Stay Strong!

Jen

Jubes
                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Hey Paul. As they say be prepared for the worst and expect the best. Sounds like that's what you are doing. And we are all cheering you on and hoping for a good outcome. So good that you have your family there routingc for you. We all have you in our hearts. Could be any one of us in the same situation and you would do your best to support us too.

anne-Louise 

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

That is it Anne-Louise, expect the worst but hope for the best. My will is in order, funeral and grave paid for, long talks with family, early Christmas, etc. But yeah, I hope to remain above ground as long as I can.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

That is it Anne-Louise, expect the worst but hope for the best. My will is in order, funeral and grave paid for, long talks with family, early Christmas, etc. But yeah, I hope to remain above ground as long as I can.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

– Paul

Jubes
                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Hey Paul. As they say be prepared for the worst and expect the best. Sounds like that's what you are doing. And we are all cheering you on and hoping for a good outcome. So good that you have your family there routingc for you. We all have you in our hearts. Could be any one of us in the same situation and you would do your best to support us too.

anne-Louise 

Jubes
                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

anne-Louise 

BrianP
                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Hey Paul,

Praying and wishing you the best possible outcome.  I so admire your positive attitude and kind spirit. 

I really like your choice for TIL.  It has always been on my shortlist but the stars have never quite aligned for me to get into a trial. 

Do you know if Dr. Yee is involved in your trial?  I know he bounces back and forth from MDA to Seattle but I'm not sure which research center in Seattle.  I've spoken with him a few times at MDA and really like him. 

You've probably said elsewhere but when do you start?  Please keep us updated when you can. 

Brian

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Thanks Brian.

I have not bumped into Dr. Yee, so far it's Sylvia Lee and Dr. Maloney.

I actually started today with the high dose cytoxin. I'm hooked up to an IV as I type this. I really like SCCA here in Seattle. They corroborate with MDA and NIH, but my clinic itself is a single seven story building, so much more personal than, say, MDA or Johns Hopkins. A week of this and I get my TIL next Tuesday, but in the ICU at University of Washington Medical Center.

– Paul

adriana cooper
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Paul, I hope you are doing well. Sad to hear of the downturn. If you could send a PM or email of your floor or room number and last name to [email protected]

I would like to drop something off for you.

I tried the last email you gave me but no go.

Rob

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

I sent this to your email but including here just in case.

Hi Rob and Adriana,

We have really been having a fight with this beast. It's great too hear from you as always. 

For the next 5 days I am in room 7206. My chemo picks up again at noon so I think I am the most lucid in the morning.

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Rob and Adriana,

We have really been having a fight with this beast. It's great too hear from you as always. 

For the next 5 days I am in room 7206. My chemo picks up again at noon so I think I am the most lucid in the morning.

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Hi Rob and Adriana,

adriana cooper
                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Paul, I hope you are doing well. Sad to hear of the downturn. If you could send a PM or email of your floor or room number and last name to [email protected]

Rob

adriana cooper
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Rob

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Thanks Brian.

I actually started today with the high dose cytoxin. I'm hooked up to an IV as I type this. I really like SCCA here in Seattle. They corroborate with MDA and NIH, but my clinic itself is a single seven story building, so much more personal than, say, MDA or Johns Hopkins. A week of this and I get my TIL next Tuesday, but in the ICU at University of Washington Medical Center.

– Paul

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Thanks Brian.

– Paul

BrianP
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Hey Paul,

Praying and wishing you the best possible outcome.  I so admire your positive attitude and kind spirit. 

I really like your choice for TIL.  It has always been on my shortlist but the stars have never quite aligned for me to get into a trial. 

Do you know if Dr. Yee is involved in your trial?  I know he bounces back and forth from MDA to Seattle but I'm not sure which research center in Seattle.  I've spoken with him a few times at MDA and really like him. 

You've probably said elsewhere but when do you start?  Please keep us updated when you can. 

Brian

BrianP
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Hey Paul,

Brian

Viewing 47 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics