The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

A good day

Forums General Melanoma Community A good day

Participant
      I went for a brain MRI this morning. Neurologist say everything is shrinking and that no new mets have formed. Still not allowed to drive–I didn’t know that in NY, anyone who’s has a seizure cannot drive for six months. Two down, four to go.
      I’m still on 2mg. of Dextramethasone, next week one, then finally finished.
      I’m cleared to go back to work tomorrow.

I’ve been on Trafilnar for six weeks now. Tomorrow I’m starting two weeks off, one month on, etc. quite frankly, being that I have practically no side effects, this is definitely scaring me. Still on Keppra, also for six months.

So, all in all good day, I really hope it stays that way.
      Karen

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant
          Karen – so good to hear from you – you are such a fighter! I have been on dab 3 weeks. Did your Dr say why they are alternating it? How long until you saw positive results? I am supposed to start Mekinist this wk – but my Dr is worried about side effects ( not too bad so far) getting worse. So glad you are doing well!
          awillett1991
          Participant
            Karen – so good to hear from you – you are such a fighter! I have been on dab 3 weeks. Did your Dr say why they are alternating it? How long until you saw positive results? I am supposed to start Mekinist this wk – but my Dr is worried about side effects ( not too bad so far) getting worse. So glad you are doing well!
              NYKaren
              Participant
                Hi Amy,
                For the same reason they do alternate dosing on Zel…in the hopes it will extend response time. I had pretty bad side effects on Zel–was never able to take full’4-pill dose, only 3–and almost no side effects on Trafilnar. She did say other doctors are trying it, so maybe we’ll be hearing more about it. You have been in my thoughts, you are definitely a fighter, Amy..
                Karen
                Brendan
                Participant

Karen,

Glad to hear that everything is shrinking.  Good luck at work.

Brendan

Brendan
                  Participant

Karen,

Brendan

Brendan
                    Participant

Karen,

Brendan

NYKaren
                      Participant
                        Hi Amy,
                        For the same reason they do alternate dosing on Zel…in the hopes it will extend response time. I had pretty bad side effects on Zel–was never able to take full’4-pill dose, only 3–and almost no side effects on Trafilnar. She did say other doctors are trying it, so maybe we’ll be hearing more about it. You have been in my thoughts, you are definitely a fighter, Amy..
                        Karen
                        NYKaren
                        Participant
                          Hi Amy,
                          Karen
                        awillett1991
                        Participant
                          aldakota22
                          Participant

So happy for you Karen.Prayers sent your way that all the days from now on will be good days.Beat the Beast.    Al

aldakota22
                            Participant

So happy for you Karen.Prayers sent your way that all the days from now on will be good days.Beat the Beast.    Al

aldakota22
                              Participant

BrianP
                                Participant

Great news Karen!  Keep the good news coming.

BrianP
                                  Participant

BrianP
                                    Participant

GAngel
                                      Participant

Hi Karen,

You have been through so much, I pray that your current treatments are a success! Forgive me if you have previously stated, but is there a reason why your oncologist is not adding mekinist to your treatment with dabrafenib? My husband's oncologist told me when I inquired about intermittent dosing (since he had done it that way on Zelboraf) that adding the MEK deals with the resistance issue and therefore intermittent dosing is really not necessary.  Have you had discussions with your doctors about this?

Obviously I have no medical schooling, however, even after he said that to me, I was still wondering about this issue and thinking that it may be wise to do the intermittent dosing with the combo in hopes of lengthening the amount of time that it will work just in case the melanoma finds another pathway as surely there are more than two? Idk, just a thought. 

All my best!

Gina

GAngel
                                        Participant

Hi Karen,

You have been through so much, I pray that your current treatments are a success! Forgive me if you have previously stated, but is there a reason why your oncologist is not adding mekinist to your treatment with dabrafenib? My husband's oncologist told me when I inquired about intermittent dosing (since he had done it that way on Zelboraf) that adding the MEK deals with the resistance issue and therefore intermittent dosing is really not necessary.  Have you had discussions with your doctors about this?

Obviously I have no medical schooling, however, even after he said that to me, I was still wondering about this issue and thinking that it may be wise to do the intermittent dosing with the combo in hopes of lengthening the amount of time that it will work just in case the melanoma finds another pathway as surely there are more than two? Idk, just a thought. 

All my best!

Gina

NYKaren
                                            Participant

Hi Gina,

I already am on both drugs.  Tafilnar is the dabrafenib and Menkist together. 

Thanks for checking, though.  As long as one goes through a specialty pharmacy, one is able to get Tanfilnar as one drug.  (two pills, twice a day).

I don't really know what's taking the FDA so long!

thanks,

Karen

DonnaK
                                              Participant

Karyn, Do you remember where you heard that Tafinlar is both dabrafinib and Mekinist together? My husband gets Tafinlar from a specialty pharmacy, but I'm fairly certain that it is only dabrafinib.

Donna

DonnaK
                                                Participant

Karyn, Do you remember where you heard that Tafinlar is both dabrafinib and Mekinist together? My husband gets Tafinlar from a specialty pharmacy, but I'm fairly certain that it is only dabrafinib.

Donna

DonnaK
                                                  Participant

Donna

awillett1991
                                                    Participant
                                                      Karen. – I agree w Donna. I just got Mekinist today and it is separate! even has to be refrigerated. Might be worth checking what you’re getting. Mine is thru a specialty pharmacy too.
                                                      awillett1991
                                                      Participant
                                                        Karen. – I agree w Donna. I just got Mekinist today and it is separate! even has to be refrigerated. Might be worth checking what you’re getting. Mine is thru a specialty pharmacy too.
                                                        Mat
                                                        Participant
                                                          Definitely 2 separate medications. Sounds like you’ve got Tafinlar without the Mekinist.
                                                          Mat
                                                          Participant
                                                            Definitely 2 separate medications. Sounds like you’ve got Tafinlar without the Mekinist.
                                                            DeniseK
                                                            Participant

I agree it is 2 separate drugs.  I take 1 mekinist per day at 2mg and 4 tafinlar (dabrafenib) per day.  The Mek has to be refrigerated as well.

DeniseK
                                                              Participant

I agree it is 2 separate drugs.  I take 1 mekinist per day at 2mg and 4 tafinlar (dabrafenib) per day.  The Mek has to be refrigerated as well.

DeniseK
                                                                Participant

Mat
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    awillett1991
                                                                    Participant
                                                                      GAngel
                                                                      Participant

Hi Karen,

Absolutely two separate drugs. Dabrafenib is the scientific name for the drug being sold by GlaxoSmithKline under the trademark name of Tafinlar and Mekinist is the scientific name being sold under the trademark name of Trametinib. These drugs can only be dispensed through a specialty pharmacy and will come separately and the Mekinist/Trametinib is delivered in a cold package and MUST always be refrigerated. Although I have heard of at least one person who was unable to get their insurance to pay for the combo, our insurance covered both drugs and so have many other insurances, apparently.  At least give it a try as your doctor is not prohibited from prescribing both drugs.  I may be wrong, however, I believe that obtaining FDA approval of the combo will prevent any insurance coverage issues. 

Wishing you all the best!

Love and blessing to you and yours!

Gina 

GAngel
                                                                        Participant

Hi Karen,

Absolutely two separate drugs. Dabrafenib is the scientific name for the drug being sold by GlaxoSmithKline under the trademark name of Tafinlar and Mekinist is the scientific name being sold under the trademark name of Trametinib. These drugs can only be dispensed through a specialty pharmacy and will come separately and the Mekinist/Trametinib is delivered in a cold package and MUST always be refrigerated. Although I have heard of at least one person who was unable to get their insurance to pay for the combo, our insurance covered both drugs and so have many other insurances, apparently.  At least give it a try as your doctor is not prohibited from prescribing both drugs.  I may be wrong, however, I believe that obtaining FDA approval of the combo will prevent any insurance coverage issues. 

Gina 

GAngel
                                                                          Participant

Hi Karen,

Gina 

NYKaren
                                                                            Participant

Hi Gina,

Thanks for checking, though.  As long as one goes through a specialty pharmacy, one is able to get Tanfilnar as one drug.  (two pills, twice a day).

thanks,

Karen

NYKaren
                                                                              Participant

Hi Gina,

thanks,

Karen

GAngel
                                                                              Participant

Hi Karen,

All my best!

Gina

MeNDave
                                                                                Participant

So good to see you are still fighting the good fight!  Had to check in and see how you are doing ๐Ÿ™‚

MeNDave
                                                                                  Participant

So good to see you are still fighting the good fight!  Had to check in and see how you are doing ๐Ÿ™‚

MeNDave
                                                                                    Participant

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics