The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

14 year old update – he’s 15! :)

Forums General Melanoma Community 14 year old update – he’s 15! :)

Participant

Our 14 year old son turned 15 yesterday! He makes us more proud by the day. He completed high-dose Interferon with flying colors and is now completing week 5 of low-dose. He administers his own shots with no trouble. He returned to basketball a few weeks ago and last night he scored 5 points! A very special birthday, as he hadn't yet scored in a game this season so that felt really good to him. He is currently getting all A's at a tough prep school. He is so strong, positive and amazing. My son is my hero!

Our 14 year old son turned 15 yesterday! He makes us more proud by the day. He completed high-dose Interferon with flying colors and is now completing week 5 of low-dose. He administers his own shots with no trouble. He returned to basketball a few weeks ago and last night he scored 5 points! A very special birthday, as he hadn't yet scored in a game this season so that felt really good to him. He is currently getting all A's at a tough prep school. He is so strong, positive and amazing. My son is my hero!

PET/CT/brain MRI booked for mid-March here in Maine and then another trip to Dana-Farber in April. We have started a Relay for Life team and our team name is NED. 🙂 We are meeting with our Make A Wish reps today for the first time. Our son is thinking he would like to go to Alaska.

Stay strong, everyone! Every day gets us closer to a cure. 

Viewing 15 reply threads
    • Replies
        Vermont_Donna
        Participant

Happy Birthday to your son and great news on how well he is doing. I know it seems like getting through treatments is so difficult but you and he are doing it! See even giving himself his shots is a skill he has learned and he is doing it well. He must feel so proud of himself on all levels….sports, academics and his ability to "deal with" a cancer diagnosis and the treatments.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Laurie from maine
            Participant

Happy Birthday to him!!  Congrats also on scouring at the game, good for him!  Giving the shots is not fun and knowing that it might make you feel bad afterwards was awful too.  I am hoping his side effects arent too bad?  I found the high dose no problem but the low dose beat me up as time went on.  He is strong, young and sounds very determined so I am sure he will do well with it.  Thank you for posting I was wondering how he was doing, but I always like to assume if we dont hear from people that means they are doing well.

take care

laurie from maine

Laurie from maine
              Participant

Happy Birthday to him!!  Congrats also on scouring at the game, good for him!  Giving the shots is not fun and knowing that it might make you feel bad afterwards was awful too.  I am hoping his side effects arent too bad?  I found the high dose no problem but the low dose beat me up as time went on.  He is strong, young and sounds very determined so I am sure he will do well with it.  Thank you for posting I was wondering how he was doing, but I always like to assume if we dont hear from people that means they are doing well.

take care

laurie from maine

Vermont_Donna
              Participant

Happy Birthday to your son and great news on how well he is doing. I know it seems like getting through treatments is so difficult but you and he are doing it! See even giving himself his shots is a skill he has learned and he is doing it well. He must feel so proud of himself on all levels….sports, academics and his ability to "deal with" a cancer diagnosis and the treatments.

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

James from Sydney
                Participant

Congrats on his birthday, he sounds like a wonderful boy, may the good news keep coming. I think of your family often.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
                  Participant

Congrats on his birthday, he sounds like a wonderful boy, may the good news keep coming. I think of your family often.

best wishes

James

Phil S
                    Participant

Happy 15th Birthday!   Thanks for the update, I have been wondering how he was doing on the interferon.  I always look for your posts, because my husband also had an anal melanoma, is also treated at Dana Farber, and has three months left of interferon to complete his year.  Good luck with scans in March!  We also have an appointment at Dana Farber in April.  I hope that he gets his trip to Alaska, what an adventure.  Take Care!   Valerie (Phil's wife)

Phil S
                      Participant

Happy 15th Birthday!   Thanks for the update, I have been wondering how he was doing on the interferon.  I always look for your posts, because my husband also had an anal melanoma, is also treated at Dana Farber, and has three months left of interferon to complete his year.  Good luck with scans in March!  We also have an appointment at Dana Farber in April.  I hope that he gets his trip to Alaska, what an adventure.  Take Care!   Valerie (Phil's wife)

BethA in VA
                        Participant

Happy Birthday to your son!  I hope it is followed by many more healthy happy days.  Nice to hear he is staying positive and is handling everything so well.  Keep up the strength.  He must have good examples!!  Beth 3B

BethA in VA
                          Participant

Happy Birthday to your son!  I hope it is followed by many more healthy happy days.  Nice to hear he is staying positive and is handling everything so well.  Keep up the strength.  He must have good examples!!  Beth 3B

KellieSue
                            Participant

Happy Birthday to your son! He sounds like a great young man! I sometimes had a hard time giving myself leukine shots so good for him for being able to do his own injections. Here's to many NED scans in his future!

Kellie(from Iowa) Stage IV since June 2008

KellieSue
                              Participant

Happy Birthday to your son! He sounds like a great young man! I sometimes had a hard time giving myself leukine shots so good for him for being able to do his own injections. Here's to many NED scans in his future!

Kellie(from Iowa) Stage IV since June 2008

KatyWI
                                Participant

What a great birthday, indeed!

I echo everyone else – thanks for posting, I was wondering how he was doing, too.

KatyWI

KatyWI
                                  Participant

What a great birthday, indeed!

I echo everyone else – thanks for posting, I was wondering how he was doing, too.

KatyWI

stacitcox
                                    Participant

Happy Birthday to your son! I'm so glad he has done so well with the high dose Interferon. I'm a nurse and I've seen it really take its toll on my adult patients. Hope his birthday was a great celebration! Sounds like you've got a warrior for a son.

stacitcox
                                      Participant

Happy Birthday to your son! I'm so glad he has done so well with the high dose Interferon. I'm a nurse and I've seen it really take its toll on my adult patients. Hope his birthday was a great celebration! Sounds like you've got a warrior for a son.

all Come In
                                        Participant

What great news.

Happy Birthday

all Come In
                                          Participant

What great news.

Happy Birthday

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics